Options

Games that Suck - UNpopular games that you loved, for some unholy reason

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    kitch wrote: »
    Though I believe it is not as unpopular as it once was, The Legend of Dragoon is my pick for this thread. There's something whimsical in there. And there should be a sequel, goddamnit.

e: ps. oh man, the voice acting was so bad. like not good.

Good thing there was so little of it outside the battle cries, because this man is not kidding. Every time a character had to speak a full sentence, birds would drop dead outside your window.

But the battle system at the time was the purest joy.

Rust on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quest 64. One of the only RPGs for the N64. I bought it day one and began hating it day two. Story was non-existent, the world was sparse, with like, maybe, three towns, and to make matters worse there was a fixed amount of healing items. So finally I said "fuck it" one day and stopped playing.

A few months later I was insanely bored and pop'd the game in and started a new save. I have no idea way, but I fell in love with the game. I began to enjoy every part of it. Its crazy!

I am still sad Quest 2 never got finished, it sounded like it was a vast improvement over Quest 1.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AzegorothAzegoroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Star Wars:Rebel assault 1&2
    The story was sooo bad, and the gameplay was no masterpiece either, but so help me god, I still played the CRAP out of those games.

Azegoroth on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Though I believe it is not as unpopular as it once was, The Legend of Dragoon is my pick for this thread. There's something whimsical in there. And there should be a sequel, goddamnit.

I cannot agree with you more. I absolutely loved this game. The fighting was just so much fun, and I really loved that Albert said something completely different than what lavitz would say using the same attacks. Like not even close.

Also that cinematic near the end, back in the day that was the greatest looking cinematic I had ever seen.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Azegoroth wrote: »
    The story was sooo bad, and the gameplay was no masterpiece either, but so help me god, I still played the CRAP out of those games.
    I tried to enjoy Rebel Assault 2. I did. I could see a little nugget of enjoyment buried deep among those FMVs, but that game judged me unworthy.

An LP of it would be amazing, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Quest 64.

It was honestly terrible. But I'd still play it today if I could find a copy. It just had something.
    You are a sick fucking person. I remember being in a giant ICE TUNNEL that looked the same the whole way through. Somehow I got disoriented after a battle and ended up at the entrance again. I turned the game off and was happy to return it to Blockbuster.

That's without going into the grinding, dumbed-down cities or empty plot. Then again, it did have that nostalgic mystique those simple games of the new 3D era had.

But seriously: fucking game was (is) evil.
    I think that's why I loved it. I don't remember ( I was probably ten or so) but I probably had an elaborate story for the character to fill in what the game left off. I didn't care that it abused me. I liked it.
    So the RPGs on the N64 were similar to domestic abuse. You should have grabbed Paper Mario and prevented the trauma!

Years later, I would. The healing is tough, but I stayed strong.

Plus, you know, SMRPG pretty much kept me happy [strike]for years[/strike] forever.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ok. I have a secret confession. There is one single terrible game that I love yet it is just terrible. Zombie nation. Your a zombie head going around blowing shit up and killing stuff. Yeaaaaaa its so bad its good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOYG5S-LpSg

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Light Crusader on the Megadrive. The forgotten Treasure game, mainly because it was shite.

I played it to death. I feel bad.

Rotam on
  • Options
    softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just picked up Mirrors Edge since I saw that it dropped to 20 dollars on Steam.
    I heard it got a lot of flack but I liked it from start to finish.

Oh and I liked the new Indiana Jones movie.

softCactus on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet as i skipped from page 2 to here:

Enter the Matrix

I thought it was quite good in a sort of terrible way. There was some serious shit wrong with it movement and control wise (not to mention graphically: The cars had square wheels. SQUARE WHEELS!!!). Yet for it's faults it did have quite good bullet time movements and scenes, an interesting enough storyline that linked well with the movie storyline, and some good action sequences. The biggest problem with it really is the one that all movie-game tie in's suffer from; clunky graphics, rushed development and poor development of controls. Apart from that though it was fun enough, and I completed it.

It's now somewhere in deep storage in my PC gaming archives, probably never to be touched again. Once was enough.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I actually enjoyed playing the 3D Castlevania games. The one for the N64 was enjoyable back in the day. Lament of Innocence was alright although it was a bit disappointing since it was short and the areas in the levels looked the same. Curse of Darkness though was really enjoyable for me since the areas didn't look so similar and there was more going on in the game instead of just wandering around some basements like the other one.

Edit: I forgot to mention this until just now. I really enjoyed playing Radiata Stores. I mention it because it doesn't get talked about very often anywhere and many of the cutscenes are a bit crappy as well as some of the characters but the combat system was really cool and fun. I'm surprised that I found that game to be very enjoyable.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    RedfiercareRedfiercare Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. That game was AWESOME in my eyes. A cool battle system, interesting characters that rotate through your party, and some good dungeons... I don't know why people don't like it.

Redfiercare on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used to be obsessed with a game called Alien Storm on the Mega Drive/Genesis which looking back was a pretty mediocre brawler but I was obsessed with brawlers at the time so I couldn't get enough of it

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    MarinocteMarinocte Healing with explosives Just as nature intended.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This games music will scar your brain if played too long, not as good as the original, but that is for a different post.

blaster_master_2_frontcover_small_Hj5uRXzP9HwlTtN.jpg

Marinocte on
    Murkfase - Trooper, The Shadowlands.
  • Options
    BrokenLampBrokenLamp Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I have a horrible multi-year love affair with the "Warriors" games. I've even played multiple iterations of the Empire spin-offs! Except the Gundam games. For some reason, I can't cross the line from Chinese and Japanese exaggerated history into the exaggerated future.

Also, the last game I bought was Alone in the Dark. In my defense, I bought it for $2.50, but for $2.50 it's pretty awesome. I can imagine where the disgust comes in for a $60 copy, though.

BrokenLamp on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time a new Dynasty Warriors comes out, I play it for goddamn ever, often co-op with friends.

Mainly: DW3, DW4, DW5, DW5:Tactics, DW6, and Warriors Orochi 1&2. For DW4 I think, I used to post on the GameFAQs board, which was pretty decent actually, where people would play through trying to get high scores on a certain level and post their results in competitions. It was pretty fun, a good bunch of people.

DW6:Tactics just came out, I yearn

Oh man, I can't even remember which one on the PS2 it was but my ex and I would play it all the damn time, such horrible voice acting.

BladeX on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not sure if it's been mentioned. But I liked Jaws Unleashed. Yes, the controls were awful, but eating people as a shark was just too much fun.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. That game was AWESOME in my eyes. A cool battle system, interesting characters that rotate through your party, and some good dungeons... I don't know why people don't like it.

omgggggggggg

The dungeons were monotonous and terrible, the story made me vomit repeatedly, and I fell asleep during all 500 battles that I played before stabbing my own eyes out of my brain face head.

I got that game as a kid desperate for an RPG. It made me want to die.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

omgggggggggg

That game made me want to die SO BAD.

The dungeons were monotonous and terrible, the story made me vomit repeatedly, and I fell asleep during all 500 battles that I played before stabbing my own eyes out of my brain face head.

I got that game as a kid desperate for an RPG. It made me want to die.

It was literally Baby's First RPG, so any complaints with it are understandable, but chill out brah

Rust on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doom 3 gets a lot of hate but I like it. Sure the engine is just plain awful by todays standards, but it was pretty neat when it and Half Life 2 where the next big things.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mystic Quest had a lot of things wrong with it but the worst of them was that it just wasn't fun to play. I mean, I'll happily play games with worse graphics, worse story, worse music, and what have you. But mystic quest wasn't just bad, it was boring.

I can forgive a game for being bad but when it bores you then it's beyond help. This is coming from someone who looked for it for years and ended up ordering through one of those exhorbitant used-game catalogs you used to have back in the days before eBay.

Duffel on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, again not exactly god awful but considered awfully mediocre on the PSP I really liked Untold Legends as it was just mindless fun while I was at work.

BladeX on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a great love for Extreme G 2 on N64.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTrAdQ4eyI

The later versions on Xbox, PS2, and Gamcube were good, too, but this one had so much more interesting track designs. It also had a terrible framerate that could not stay stable for more than a few seconds.

I also loved Turok 3 on N64.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5nCsUiR_M

It's not great but it's certainly better than the newest Turok by a long shot.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've played through every Final Fantasy and I still loved Mystic Quest. Yes, it was short and way too easy but it was fun and the music was pretty good.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    I tried to enjoy Rebel Assault 2. I did. I could see a little nugget of enjoyment buried deep among those FMVs, but that game judged me unworthy.

An LP of it would be amazing, though.

Dunno if it's entertaining or not, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGepf-Bv3uo

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I don't think Legend of Dragoon was ever unpopular... the game sold like crazy (at least as well as RPGs could sell then). I enjoyed it, but I never beat it. It was one of the only games to have that annoying modchip lockout, and while you could get past it to play, you couldn't transition to the next disc.

Still, <3 that game... what I played of it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

God, I played the shit out of those games. RA2 had some ridiculously elaborate easter eggs. They had a full MST3K track (subtitles) for all the cutscenes. Sometimes my sister and I would just turn those on and put on movie mode and just watch the thing.

We also played the shit out of Megarace. My grandpa had gotten it packed in with his computer -- so every time we were visiting him, we would be playing Megarace. It was...not a great game, but hot damn did it entertain us. It did have some pretty decent music though.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, why is this thread on page 2 while the evil twin thread is still on page 1?

So hey, how about a few more games that fit the bill!

First up would be The Club. It's like Burnout, but instead of a car, you're driving an ethnic stereotype, and instead of racing against other cars, you're shooting the fuck out of generic goons! A whole lot of generic goons! If you're ever in the Generic Goon Store, and wonder why all the shelves are empty, it's because Bizarre Creations backed up the development truck and bought them all in bulk for this game.

But seriously, if you've ever played a third-person shooter and said "You know, I could really do without all this pesky realism and plot and coherence since it gets in the way of getting my shoot on, so hey, why don't they replace it with an arcade style combo system, arbitrary time limits and levels where your head explodes if leave a certain area", this is the game for you.

Oh yeah, and it's stupid fun.

Speaking of stupid fun, there's Earth Defense Force 2017. In this shocking glimpse into what Earth will be like 8 years from now, you play some dude with big fucking guns who's part of some force to defend said Earth against robots and giant ants who showed up for some reason that doesn't matter. Since you can blow everything right the fuck up. You would think that part of the "Earth Defense Force" job description would include "While you're shooting rockets at giant space ants, try not to hit any buildings, because, you know, people live in them."

Apparently, not so much. Because no matter how many skyscrapers you blast into smithereens, or civilians you vaporize, you're not even remotely penalized. Yee-haw!

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Def Jam: Icon.

I don't care if the fighting is pretty sloppy, and the 'custom soundtrack' thing is terrible. This game is so beautiful, and the punches and kicks are so satisfying, I still play it every once in a while.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Motherfucking Yoshi's Story.
    Fucking love that game.

You just kind of stroll around, at your own pace, and eat fruit while faux islandy music plays.
    It is a purifying experience.

Also, Pokemon Snap.
    Just take pictures. So chill.
    On the other hand, if you play it competitively, the whole context changes.
    There will be lots of yelling, and no feeling is better than hearing Oak say "Well, this is much better than the last one" and watching your friends photo of Chansey just disappear into nothingness.
    That game also opens up areas of smack talk I never before thought possible, since it involves photography and pokemon.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    P: 1634 0144 0510
    HG: 5285 4128 5154
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What?

Pokemon Snap sold well, was reviewed well and was generally regarded as being pretty good.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Doom 3 gets a lot of hate but I like it. Sure the engine is just plain awful by todays standards, but it was pretty neat when it and Half Life 2 where the next big things.

I enjoyed Doom 3 as well and I played it last year. It definitely received too much bashing.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I assumed it sold well.
    What with it being pokemon.
    I had no idea it was reviewed well.
    What with it being a pokemon spin-off.

That plus the fact that it is like an hour long and has no replay value beyond being so frickin awesome.
    But upon research, I discovered all my assumptions were wrong. Now I know better.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    P: 1634 0144 0510
    HG: 5285 4128 5154
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pokemon spin-off doesn't necessarily mean shit, just means that Nintendo has fucked up in that area since the older days.

Snap, Pinball and especially Trading Card Game are all quite excellent.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pokemon spin-off doesn't necessarily mean shit, just means that Nintendo has fucked up in that area since the older days.

Snap, Pinball and especially Trading Card Game are all quite excellent.

Even most of the modern spin-offs aren't too bad. Ranger is mediocre, but Mystery Dungeon is basically Shiren The Wanderer-lite

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread made me think of my Game Gear...

I beat this game many many times my friend...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzhZUR5LiPI

The guys commentary is annoying as hell though.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I don't think Legend of Dragoon was ever unpopular... the game sold like crazy (at least as well as RPGs could sell then). I enjoyed it, but I never beat it. It was one of the only games to have that annoying modchip lockout, and while you could get past it to play, you couldn't transition to the next disc.

Still, <3 that game... what I played of it.

Oh man, Legend of Dragoon! when i was younger I absolutely loved the game, and it wasn't until I started getting active in forums that I learned that a lot of people disliked it. There's just something so charming and epic about it.

Unfortunatly my last disc was scratched and I never got to finish it. I have another copy of the game now though, so I should really fix that.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quest 64 won a special place in my heart ever since I mistakenly bought it at a store so long ago and foudn it bad but not terrible. I loved the combat system and the really thing that irked my about it was the terrible compass and the fact the game had no cutscenes between the first minute of the game and the last minute. However if you talked to the NPC's in all the towns you did get the whole picture and story.

I don't know why this game won my affection but I did play it and beat it and did feel satisfied despite the parts where I wanted to rip my hair out.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    seasleepy wrote: »

God, I played the shit out of those games. RA2 had some ridiculously elaborate easter eggs. They had a full MST3K track (subtitles) for all the cutscenes. Sometimes my sister and I would just turn those on and put on movie mode and just watch the thing.

We also played the shit out of Megarace. My grandpa had gotten it packed in with his computer -- so every time we were visiting him, we would be playing Megarace. It was...not a great game, but hot damn did it entertain us. It did have some pretty decent music though.

I had that too, and while the game was bad--really bad, it just had that charm of being innovative with it's use of the then-new CD-Rom technology and FMV.

It was enthralling for the same reason everyone thought the Sega CD was hot shit for the first month or two it was on the market.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

I enjoyed Doom 3 as well and I played it last year. It definitely received too much bashing.

I loved Doom 3 and still do.

My only complaint is that it doesn't hold a whole lot of replay value. It's like a carnival funhouse. Once you've played through it once you've see all the shit they throw at you.

It's still hella fun though, and to this day I don't understand the raw hatred some people had for it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop