As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Guerrilla *CREAK* *CRASH* *EURGH*

• Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    ...Nice of them to worship Parker.

Sarchasm?

They hate the man's guts... :?

Which is funny considering how close to them he lives.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    ...Nice of them to worship Parker.

Sarchasm?

They hate the man's guts... :?

Which is funny considering how close to them he lives.

Teenage crush. You pretend to hate her but really secretly wanna feel her up.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I'm spending far too much salvage on upgrading my nano rifle. I just love the thing since I took down a watchtower from a nice safe distance with it.

Also, I wandered into Oasis properly for the first time today, did a little exploring and found a mission and safehouse. I haven't yet liberated Wasteland, though. Is there anything stopping me liberating the areas in a different order? I'll probably free Wasteland pretty soon I'm just curious whether my wandering is actually contributing to the overall progress.

Badlands and Oasis are available at the same time, I think you can do them in either order, or at least do missions in both at the same time. I've never tried doing Oasis first.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I'm spending far too much salvage on upgrading my nano rifle. I just love the thing since I took down a watchtower from a nice safe distance with it.

Also, I wandered into Oasis properly for the first time today, did a little exploring and found a mission and safehouse. I haven't yet liberated Wasteland, though. Is there anything stopping me liberating the areas in a different order? I'll probably free Wasteland pretty soon I'm just curious whether my wandering is actually contributing to the overall progress.

Badlands and Oasis are available at the same time, I think you can do them in either order, or at least do missions in both at the same time. I've never tried doing Oasis first.

You can do them in either order. I started with Oasis and finished in Badlands.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just finished the game, and it was appropriately climactic.

I'm not much of an achievement whore so I don't know that I'll play the game much longer, though I may try multiplayer a bit at least.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    So I finish my first mission in Badlands, and what do I see beside me but a Light Walker I'd apparently missed during the mission itself.

$100 million in damage and about 8 EDF strongholds later, the Walker's busted.

God, what wonderful machines. They go through buildings like a worm through dirt.

Rust on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    So I finish my first mission in Badlands, and what do I see beside me but a Light Walker I'd apparently missed during the mission itself.

God, what wonderful machines. They go through buildings like a worm through dirt.

Yeah light walkers are great. I found one in Eos and over about 15 minutes destroyed every target building in the area. It was a little barren after that.

Medium/Mining walkers are even better, its like driving a Semi-truck through a Circus Tent.

Arrath on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arrath wrote: »

Yeah light walkers are great. I found one in Eos and over about 15 minutes destroyed every target building in the area. It was a little barren after that.

Medium/Mining walkers are even better, its like driving a Semi-truck through a Circus Tent.
    I had some awesome fun with that light walker. The jump jets make for awesome fun. After it was destroyed is it gone for good or will I be able to find it by going back to the same place? I'd check for myself but I've gone and forgotten where exactly it was.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    I'm surprised by the people who hammer the bridge. If you take the Nano Rifle and shoot the joints where it meets the supports you can take down the bridge in like 20 shots.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    Haikira wrote: »
    Just finished badlands, and got the next armor upgrade. Thank god, the current health just wasn't doing it for me. Just about finished my last main mission.
    Blowing up the five fighter jets.

Didn't seem too hard. But i had awful luck with it.

That's what I did last night. It was all about sprinting for me that seemed to work.

I just set off the alarm on purpose, and shot they jets with my rocket launcher as they came at me. Easy mission if you do it that way.

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    I'm surprised by the people who hammer the bridge. If you take the Nano Rifle and shoot the joints where it meets the supports you can take down the bridge in like 20 shots.
    I tried to do this but wasted a few shots. Climbed my way to the top and used the hammer to finish it off. Felt good!

On a realted note, one thing I don't like about this game is that old problem you have with mountain terrain combined with jumping. Having to run and jump up against a slope to find the path to the top on certain bits, with certain parts causing you to slide down to the bottom of the slope.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

They are perfect for Zoidberg-ing your way around an instillation.

"WHOOOOOOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really annoyed at the severe lack of checkpoints, and not being able to restart my current mission from the pause menu. I'm sick of missing the target time in stuff, and having to either wait out the rest of the clock, finish it anyway, or kill myself to start over. And I'm sick of failing missions and having to do everything all over again, even the driving to the spot.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Red Faction: Guerrilla is back down to $39.99 at newegg.com.

Grrrrr. Could've had it for that price had I waited a few days or jumped on that same deal a few weeks ago. Oh well, I'm enjoying the game so far.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've yet to touch a red faction mission (yellow sign ones) in Oasis and Badlands. I did one in Dust and thene just went back to completing the micro-missions in all the unlocked regions so far.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really annoyed at the severe lack of checkpoints, and not being able to restart my current mission from the pause menu. I'm sick of missing the target time in stuff, and having to either wait out the rest of the clock, finish it anyway, or kill myself to start over. And I'm sick of failing missions and having to do everything all over again, even the driving to the spot.
    I had the same problem, but I think pushing through will help you avoid most instances of this, and tolerate the rest. The game's not bad a throwing you bones- I just got to Eos and I have 2 armour upgrades, which have really helped- I doubt there's another but I don't know for sure. Mostly, though, it's about learning how to avoid being surrounded. And for some of the lengthier missions (ie., yellow-sign ones) there are some checkpoints.

I hate to admit it, but the fail-and-re-do-everything approach works in that it forces you to behave like a guerilla: hit and run. It was extremely frustrating me for a while, but it clicked. That said, I wouldn't blame someone for dropping the game for these reasons.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    MafMaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I had the same problem, but I think pushing through will help you avoid most instances of this, and tolerate the rest. The game's not bad a throwing you bones- I just got to Eos and I have 2 armour upgrades, which have really helped- I doubt there's another but I don't know for sure. Mostly, though, it's about learning how to avoid being surrounded. And for some of the lengthier missions (ie., yellow-sign ones) there are some checkpoints.

I hate to admit it, but the fail-and-re-do-everything approach works in that it forces you to behave like a guerilla: hit and run. It was extremely frustrating me for a while, but it clicked. That said, I wouldn't blame someone for dropping the game for these reasons.

I was the same way. I kept dying over and over, until something just clicked and now I hardly die at all. I think I died twice in about 4 hours of playing yesterday, both of them due to stupid things like standing next to an eletrical grid thing during a firefight. It helps to always have an escape plan if things start to get hairy. Make sure you have a vehicle parked nearby that is easily accessible.

Maf on
  • Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    I tried to do this but wasted a few shots. Climbed my way to the top and used the hammer to finish it off. Felt good!

Exactly.

It's not so much that I didn't think to use the Nano Rifle. It was more just the fact that the sledge hammer just feels so...good.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My only complaint with this game is the scarcity of salvage. Which I guess goes with the whole scavenging motif, but still. Irritating. I want bigger booms NOW.

Error on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time I play this game I am just reminded of Crackdown

"Grab your hammer Agent."

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Error wrote: »
    My only complaint with this game is the scarcity of salvage. Which I guess goes with the whole scavenging motif, but still. Irritating. I want bigger booms NOW.
    It might seem like obvious advice, but I get most of my salvage from doing the guerrilla missions and taking down big structures. I still try and take apart every wrecked car and little outpost I see, though. I figure it all adds up.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It might seem like obvious advice, but I get most of my salvage from doing the guerrilla missions and taking down big structures. I still try and take apart every wrecked car and little outpost I see, though. I figure it all adds up.

I think someone mentioned it in the previous thread, but those huge gas tank things yield a good amount of salvage. They're also usually grouped together, so you can get a lot of salvage in a short period of time.

I also think you get more salvage if you blow stuff up with barrels and hydrogen tanks too. I might be imagining this, but I always feel like there is a lot more laying on the ground after shooting one of those.

Maf on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maf wrote: »

I think someone mentioned it in the previous thread, but those huge gas tank things yield a good amount of salvage. They're also usually grouped together, so you can get a lot of salvage in a short period of time.

I also think you get more salvage if you blow stuff up with barrels and hydrogen tanks too. I might be imagining this, but I always feel like there is a lot more laying on the ground after shooting one of those.

I think you get more for blowing shit up compared to taking it apart with your hammer, but I'm not certain.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EDF vehicles drop anywhere from 3-7 salvage, depending on what type they are.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Matt! wrote: »
    Haikira wrote: »
    Just finished badlands, and got the next armor upgrade. Thank god, the current health just wasn't doing it for me. Just about finished my last main mission.
    Blowing up the five fighter jets.

Didn't seem too hard. But i had awful luck with it.

That's what I did last night. It was all about sprinting for me that seemed to work.

I just set off the alarm on purpose, and shot they jets with my rocket launcher as they came at me. Easy mission if you do it that way.

I did that one without leaving green alert level :lol:... well until the end...
    when you leave you automatically get an alert level, so the planes will take off and your bombs will go off :?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Especially so if you play the game on casual difficulty. I would just sprint and beat down EDF troops with my hammer for most of the game. Turn on the Super toughness, sprinting, and jetpack cheats, and it plays EXACTLY like crackdown since you jump high as hell, run as fast as cars, and can take thermobaric rocket shots to the face no problem.

Near the end of the game, one of the main missions..
    You have to assault the EDF central command. I used the modded car to get through the forcefield and take it down as instructed, but immediately made a dash for the combat walker located in the base. Once in that walker, the base was a cake walk. Rocket spam the distant annoyances and trample everything else. Good times!

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just played a bunch of games online with a group, and man was it fun. Multiplayer for this game gets a thumbs up from me. Seems really polished.

Maf on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I want Red Faction's destruction mixed with Crackdown's powers mixed with City of Heroe's universe and character creation.

In other words I want to have insanely customizable super heros throw cars into buildings which collapse as I leap over them.

Prohass on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just played a bunch of games online with a group, and man was it fun. Multiplayer for this game gets a thumbs up from me. Seems really polished.

Yeah, good times, the game is best when you can get an actual "team" together.

We were steamrolling folks. A shut-out in siege, and someone hammered a thrown mine out of midair into another dude's face. Which is the best kind of teamwork.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nickle wrote: »

Yeah, good times, the game is best when you can get an actual "team" together.

We were steamrolling folks. A shut-out in siege, and someone hammered a thrown mine out of midair into another dude's face. Which is the best kind of teamwork.

Oh, shit. I didn't see that one! Damn if that isn't freaking awesome though.

Maf on
  • Options
    PlagueisPlagueis Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    It bears repeating that Volition did the Saint's Row II port in-house, while RF:G is being ported by another company entirely. It will basically be a straight port, but there is still at least a little hope it won't totally suck.

AH, I love that nice new thread smell 8-)
    Thanks for steppin' up Big Isy :^:

Incorrect. Only the 360 version of SR2 was developed in house. The PS3 and PC versions were ported by external developers, different in each case.

RFG PS3 was developed in house, and it rocks as hard as the 360 version. The PC version is not in-house, hopefully it will be good.

Yea, gas tanks, any EDF property, crystals and vehicle shells (the old dirty vehicles that you can hammer apart) are where I would get a ton of salvage from.

Did anyone beat the last mission (normal difficulty) in one try, besides me? All my friends had a hard time. I admit it was hard, but being able to hijack vehicles and just run through the blockades as fast as you can really helps. I used the arc welder for jacking vehicles, the nanorifle and thermobaric rockets. All of those upgraded to the max. The top area with the fliers, I took em out with my nanorifle, shooting their wings off. The big convoy vehicles, took em out with my thermobaric rockets, and blew the cap off the mass driver tube with a thermobaric rocket.

The assault missile walker in the mission before hand, the one with the big EDF base, that thing was so awesome. When mine died, I happened to find another one just around a corner! Non-stop carnage. Amazing.

Plagueis on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best missions for salvage, I've found, are the "Guerilla Action" ones, where you pick up a team of people to go blow up a building. The building they destroy will leave a ton of salvage behind.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Prohass wrote: »

I want Red Faction's destruction mixed with Crackdown's powers mixed with City of Heroe's universe and character creation.

In other words I want to have insanely customizable super heros throw cars into buildings which collapse as I leap over them.

If Crackdown 2 doesn't allow me to throw a man through a building, it can only be seen as a failure.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Where can I go to find walkers?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Eurogamer have an article about RF:G, specifically about its destruction.

Nice.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-faction-guerrilla-big-bang-theory-article

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah that voice seems oddly familiar.

I just got to Eos, I like the aesthetics of the "ice cap" area.

Hawk on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think he was the mission intro guy for the rogue squadron game on the 64.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Somehow the RF commander's voice reminds me of...

Nibbler5.jpg

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I liked playing Batman In Space around Eos. From the safehouses you can easily jetpack onto a number of the elevated peaks, perfect for lurking and watching for any wrongdoing. See an EDF bothering innocent civilians? Swoop down and dispense vigilante justice.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Somehow the RF commander's voice reminds me of...

Nibbler5.jpg

Which reminds me of the disembodied voice from Crackdown... and thus we move full circle.

I suspect that perhaps one highly trained individual my be responsible for all four voice tracks.

A shocking development :mrgreen:

[edit] A shocking development, that after some investigation on my part, is not a development... I am simply wrong :(

Strikerkc on