As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Move to Wyoming] EPA Identifies 600 Areas With Highly Carcinogenic Air

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
2002NATACancerRiskMonoColor.jpg

Original Huffington Post Article

The EPA's National-Scale Air Toxics Assessment Page
Of the 181 air toxics included in the 2002 national-scale assessment, the risk characterization considers the risk of both cancer and noncancer effects from inhalation of 124 of these air toxics -- the subset of pollutants with health data based on chronic exposure. The purpose of this national-scale assessment is to understand these cancer risks and noncancer health effects in order to help the EPA and others to identify pollutants and source categories of greatest potential concern, and to set priorities for the collection of additional information to improve future assessments. The assessment represents a "snapshot" in time for characterizing risks from exposure to air toxics. The national-scale assessment is not designed to characterize risks sufficiently for regulatory action.

The 2002 national-scale risk assessment is based on a 2002 inventory of air toxics emissions (the most complete and up-to-date available). It then assumes individuals spend their entire lifetimes exposed to these air toxics. Therefore, it does not account for the reductions in emissions that have occurred since 2002 or those that will happen in the near future due to regulations for mobile and industrial sources (see further details in the Air Toxics Reduction section of the Web site). This risk assessment represents an update and enhancement to EPA's 1999 national-scale assessment. The next assessment will focus on emissions for the year 2005. It will be released in late 2009 or early 2010.

This at least is comforting:
The average cancer risk across the country is 36 in 1 million. That's a decline from the 41.5 in 1 million cancer risk the EPA found when it released the last analysis in 2006. That data covered 1999 emissions.

I'll be interested to see how the figures change for the assessment based on 2005.

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What the fuck, I just moved here. D:

Edit - Though hey, not long enough to run a risk! <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blue states give you cancer! =)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what they're saying is that areas with heavy industry that pollutes are full of pollution, but not quite as much pollution as before?

moniker on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can I make jokes about how Texas is more toxic in other ways than polluted air?

Henroid on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2009
    what the fuck is up with that triangular spot in NE Mississippi? It looks an order of magnitude worse than LA, what could possibly be going on there?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks to this chart, we now know exactly what everyone should do.

Move to Wyoming.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    what the fuck is up with that triangular spot in NE Mississippi? It looks an order of magnitude worse than LA, what could possibly be going on there?

I just noticed that. Good question.

EDIT: I just looked up a map of Mississippi on Google, and that triangular area seems to correspond to Tippah County. The only thing I could find is that Tippah County seems to have several mining towns, with one source mentioning that they mine "non-metallic minerals".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone have any idea how we could find out which industries are responsible for the most air pollution (other than the automotive industry)?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

I just noticed that. Good question.

EDIT: I just looked up a map of Mississippi on Google, and that triangular area seems to correspond to Tippah County. The only thing I could find is that Tippah County seems to have several mining towns, with one source mentioning that they mine "non-metallic minerals".
    Right; so it's gonna look like Isengard towards the end of the two towers, got it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The 2002 national-scale risk assessment is based on a 2002 inventory of air toxics emissions (the most complete and up-to-date available). It then assumes individuals spend their entire lifetimes exposed to these air toxics. Therefore, it does not account for the reductions in emissions that have occurred since 2002 or those that will happen in the near future due to regulations for mobile and industrial sources (see further details in the Air Toxics Reduction section of the Web site).

I wonder how difficult it would be to create projected rates of emission reduction and use their predictions to speculate lifetime risk?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder what that map would look like for water pollution.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not really surprising data there, but interesting nonetheless. I guess rural living does have a few advantages.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone have any idea how we could find out which industries are responsible for the most air pollution (other than the automotive industry)?

The automobile industry doesn't really pollute much. I mean, the worst thing they do is basically just spot welding, and that's all by robot anymore so workers are probably not even exposed to any fumes. The worst they have to worry about are forklifts and golf carts.

Overall the worst are most likely resource extraction (mining) and smelting plants/mills for steel, aluminium, &c.

moniker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Not really surprising data there, but interesting nonetheless. I guess rural living does have a few advantages.

For exceptionally generous definitions of "living," I suppose. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »

The automobile industry doesn't really pollute much. I mean, the worst thing they do is basically just spot welding, and that's all by robot anymore so workers are probably not even exposed to any fumes. The worst they have to worry about are forklifts and golf carts.

Overall the worst are most likely resource extraction (mining) and smelting plants/mills for steel, aluminium, &c.
    Farming.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faaaaarming

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Faaaaarming

Korean kids amassing gold are the worst polluters?

moniker on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Faaaaarming

Korean kids amassing gold are the worst polluters?

All the Code Red and Funyuns result in a high methane output.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.