As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like Santa didn't read the whole thing. That FAQ continues to go on and indicate how, with a Keen property granting crystal and the use of the Shien style that Critical Strike handily beats Flurry for damage output.

Trust me I've tried it, Shien+Keen+Crit Strike is very viable.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Sounds like Santa didn't read the whole thing. That FAQ continues to go on and indicate how, with a Keen property granting crystal and the use of the Shien style that Critical Strike handily beats Flurry for damage output.

Yes, I've read the whole thing. KOTOR 2 adds certain advantages in the right circumstances. It's up to the player to decide for themselves, but on a basic level Master Flurry/Master Speed/Dual Wielding will still provide the better overall result.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EDIT:
    Here is a kind of explanation from a KOTOR 2 walkthrough that should still, basically, apply.

Alright, here is my attempt at a comparison between Critical strike and Flurry.

A lightsaber critically hits on a 19-20, but everyone assuming you are playing KotOR 2 you should have a lens that makes your weapon keen, making the critical hit range 17-20. It is stated that the Critical strike ability adds on to the bonus of keen. Using Master Critical Strike gives you a 4x chance to critically hit, together with keen that gives you a 5x chance, or 11-20 with a lightsaber. Let us assume that we are using master speed for all examples.

Now, consider that you have an absurdly high attack modifier and every attack that is not a critical miss hits. 1 attack in 20 misses, 4 attacks in 20 critically hit. The average damage of an attack is 1.15 x weapon damage. Using flurry you make 5 attacks, dealing an average of 1.15 x 5 = 5,75 x weapon damage.

Using critical strike, 10 attacks in 20 are critical hits and 1 in 20 misses. Average damage of an attack is 1.45x weapon damage. Using Master Critical strike you deal an average of 1.45 x 4 = 5.8 x weapon damage.

As your chance to hit decreases, critical strike becomes increasingly superior to flurry. At a 50% chance to miss, flurry does 3,5 x weapon damage while critical strike does 4,0 x weapon damage. Flurry has the advantage of not decreasing your defence though, while critical strike stuns your enemy.

Please correct me if my math is mistaken.

Vic on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Flurry is considered better because you get an extra attack every round. Critical Strike is only useful when you get an actual critical strike.

It could depend on the weapon (anything that significantly increases the range of a crit. strike might be better suited for that feat) but you're still generally better off with dual wielding and Flurry.

EDIT:
    Here is a kind of explanation from a KOTOR 2 walkthrough that should still, basically, apply.
    This is an abstraction, not an actual damage comparison. This is just to
    demonstrate the differences between Flurry and Power Attack.

Flurry vs. Power Attack

Master Flurry: (1 Lightsaber) Master Power Attack: (1 Lightsaber)
    ============================= ===================================
    50 damage, hit one 62 damage, hit one
    50 damage, flurry
    100 total damage 62 total damage

Master Flurry: (2 or Double) Master Power Attack: (2 or Double)
    50 damage, offhand 62 damage, offhand
    50 damage, flurry
    150 total damage 124 total damage

Master Flurry, 2 Weapons, Master Power Attack, 2 Weapons,
    Master Speed Master Speed
    50 damage, offhand 62 damage, offhand
    50 damage, flurry 62 damage, speed one
    50 damage, speed one 62 damage, speed two
    50 damage, speed two
    250 total damage 248 total damage

You can see that in every situation, Flurry is better than Power Attack, even at the Master Level. Master Flurry has an unnamed -1 penalty to hit, and Master Power Attack gives you a -3 penalty to hit. So, Flurry is better. For another take on Power Attack, see the Power Strategies below.

Note: Master Flurry claims in the game to have no penalty, but it still has a -1 to attack penalty.

Critical Strike (and its upgrades) doesn't really strike me as worth it. (until you get the Shien style, see below) It will increase the "threat range" and give a chance to stun enemies. First the stun is only useful at low levels. At high levels, my Master Flurry/2 Weapons/Master Speed setup kills almost all enemies in a single shot. As for the extra "threat range" it takes your weapon from getting a critical hit 10% the time (which is what the 19-20 means in the "Critical Threat" line), to 40% (or 50% with a "keen" weapon, upgrade).

EDIT 2:
    Stupid formatting...

I love Flurry. Couple that attack with Master Speed and it's absolutely ridiculous. Master Speed adds several extra hits to your attack so long as it's active, as does Flurry. You can imagine the destruction. It's like five hits in one swing and I'm doing 30-50 or more damage each hit. Nothing can stop me!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    EDIT:

Alright, here is my attempt at a comparison between Critical strike and Flurry.

A lightsaber critically hits on a 19-20, but everyone assuming you are playing KotOR 2 you should have a lens that makes your weapon keen, making the critical hit range 17-20. It is stated that the Critical strike ability adds on to the bonus of keen. Using Master Critical Strike gives you a 4x chance to critically hit, together with keen that gives you a 5x chance, or 11-20 with a lightsaber. Let us assume that we are using master speed for all examples.

Now, consider that you have an absurdly high attack modifier and every attack that is not a critical miss hits. 1 attack in 20 misses, 4 attacks in 20 critically hit. The average damage of an attack is 1.15 x weapon damage. Using flurry you make 5 attacks, dealing an average of 1.15 x 5 = 5,75 x weapon damage.

Using critical strike, 10 attacks in 20 are critical hits and 1 in 20 misses. Average damage of an attack is 1.45x weapon damage. Using Master Critical strike you deal an average of 1.45 x 4 = 5.8 x weapon damage.

As your chance to hit decreases, critical strike becomes increasingly superior to flurry. At a 50% chance to miss, flurry does 3,5 x weapon damage while critical strike does 4,0 x weapon damage. Flurry has the advantage of not decreasing your defence though, while critical strike stuns your enemy.

Please correct me if my math is mistaken.

Note that when using the Shien style, your individual crits multiply damage by X3 rather than the X2 damage that a crit normally gives.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have some graphical issues when I use Force Speed. Instead of getting the "blurry" effect when I move around everything gets fragmented and distorted. Has anyone had the same trouble with the Steam version of KotoR?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I haven't had that pop up, but I have had it where the blurry effect won't go away, even after the buff goes away. It can be quite headache inducing. And of course there were times were the buff wouldn't turn off at all, either. That as actually quite nice on Tatooine, though, moving around that planet without having to recast it. :P

Dashui on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I have some graphical issues when I use Force Speed. Instead of getting the "blurry" effect when I move around everything gets fragmented and distorted. Has anyone had the same trouble with the Steam version of KotoR?

I had similar issues with Force Speed and when in the Swoop racing game. I was playing from the disc not Steam though.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kotor 2 is so easy anyways, just pick the one whose animation you like better. Either way, a Guardian/Weapon Master will be doing over 200 damage most rounds by the endgame.

big l on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I had similar issues with Force Speed and when in the Swoop racing game. I was playing from the disc not Steam though.

Same problem here. I simply didn't use force speed and it wasn't too much of a problem in the swoop races. God, the swoop races sucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Shit, I didn't know that about Flurry. Any way to ..respec?

There's the Kotor save game editor though you should probably backup your saves since it has done odd stuff to my games like missing force powers. As said above the game is easy and I would just continue with the flurry feat path for less hassle.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I seem to recall that Charisma reduced the penalty for using Force powers opposite your alignment in KotoR II, is it the same true for the first game as well?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I seem to recall that Charisma reduced the penalty for using Force powers opposite your alignment in KotoR II, is it the same true for the first game as well?

Yes. By one point per charisma modifier. Still not really worth investing in charisma though.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yes. By one point per charisma modifier. Still not really worth investing in charisma though.
    Oh well, I'll guess I'll just take the penalty like a man then when I'm frying my enemies with Force Lightning as a lightside Consular..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

If that's the way you're going, might as well point points into it at the start and never touch it again. Force God Jedis (holding off on leveling up and selecting Consular) have oodles of Force Points to waist on opposite alignment powers. And even so, playing Dark Side without getting Force Heal is silly.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In the second game, after you board the ravager and have the talk with Carth on Telos, did the game go straight to the final planet or not? It's been awhile since I last played so I don't remember, but I'm using the beta of the restoration mod and T3 came to me on the ship with a message from the some assassins saying they'll blow up Nar Shadda unless you return there.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    In the second game, after you board the ravager and have the talk with Carth on Telos, did the game go straight to the final planet or not? It's been awhile since I last played so I don't remember, but I'm using the beta of the restoration mod and T3 came to me on the ship with a message from the some assassins saying they'll blow up Nar Shadda unless you return there.

Yeah, I think that's how it goes.
    The Ravager has to be after the final Onderon confrontation and I believe that requires doing all the other planets first.

Then you go to Dantooine, then you return to Telos to confront Atris, and then Malachor V. You might be able to screw around on the other planets but the confrontation with Nihilus is really the beginning of the end game.

I think...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I may be seeing some new content from the restoration mod, huh? Neato!

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I certainly don't remember assassins threatening to destroy Nar Shadda. Pretty much once you 'finish' with G0-T0's ship, you're done with the planet.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I certainly don't remember assassins threatening to destroy Nar Shadda. Pretty much once you 'finish' with G0-T0's ship, you're done with the planet.

It was short, but pretty tough. There wasn't much to it but I did get some new dialog from a few of my party members, especially Bao-dur. Anyway, I'm now on the final planet and apparently the mod restores the ending as well as including multiple endings. I'll tell you how that goes!

Edit: Weird conversation between Kreia and Handmaiden due to the game not being finished. She referred to Handmaiden as a slayer of kin, a slaughterer, yet I only stunned all her sisters. :P

Anyway, I'm pushing on and am now in control of Bao-dur's tiny little droid.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I just beat KotOR 2 using the restoration mod and didn't really notice anything different in the end, unfortunately. All I am now is sad we may not see a proper finish to this story. I'd die from happiness if after Alpha Protocol Obsidian would announce a third game. That will probably never happen, but I can hope.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It was short, but pretty tough. There wasn't much to it but I did get some new dialog from a few of my party members, especially Bao-dur. Anyway, I'm now on the final planet and apparently the mod restores the ending as well as including multiple endings. I'll tell you how that goes!

Edit: Weird conversation between Kreia and Handmaiden due to the game not being finished. She referred to Handmaiden as a slayer of kin, a slaughterer, yet I only stunned all her sisters. :P

Didn't the LP suggest that there was some cut content where the Handmaiden scene was supposed to be controllable and that they were, in fact, supposed to be killed 'for real'? I may be remembering things wrong or confusing another source.

Or maybe it's supposed to be a thin reference to their own relationship.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Didn't the LP suggest that there was some cut content where the Handmaiden scene was supposed to be controllable and that they were, in fact, supposed to be killed 'for real'? I may be remembering things wrong or confusing another source.

Or maybe it's supposed to be a thin reference to their own relationship.

Ah, that was suppose to be cut content? When Handmaiden went to Telos, in my game she confronted her sisters who said she had fallen and must be defeated. Kreia then stated we'll see what lessons the Exile has taught her; that if the Handmaiden fights she will slay her kin and truly fall to the dark side, but if she does not fight she will die. It then cut back to Handmaiden talking to herself about stunning opponents, and then I proceeded to fight them. If I whittled their health down but did not deal a finishing blow, I would stun them and then gain light side points if I managed to stun them all.

I thought I remembered that from the original game without the mod? Or was that really cut content? If it was then it makes sense that Kreia would call the Handmaiden a slaughterer of her own kim, considering you weren't suppose to actually play that sequence.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Handmaiden does not fight anybody on Telos. Ever. She gets surrounded, fade out, fade in, fight over.

I was unaware that there was a 'stun' option, so that makes sense.

EDIT:
    No! Wait! I'm confusing the Exile's return to Telos. Either way, I'm pretty sure Handmaiden never fights on Telos.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Handmaiden does not fight anybody on Telos. Ever. She gets surrounded, fade out, fade in, fight over.

EDIT:
    No! Wait! I'm confusing the Exile's return to Telos. Either way, I'm pretty sure Handmaiden never fights on Telos.

That's pretty cool. And it didn't end there, either. I should have added after I stunned them all, Atris approached the Handmaiden, gave her a big speech (she seemed quite jealous, actually), and then we fought. After the fight she stunned the Handmaiden and the Exile came to the scene. We fought, which is a scene which wasn't cut of course, and then after all of that the Handmaiden came to and we talked. She told me her name and we continued on to save the galaxy!

But yeah, I didn't notice any changes in the ending due to the mod. I defeated the final boss, Visas asked me if I'd ever return from my journey, the Exile walked away in silence, and cue the end credits. I was hoping for something more. :(

Edit: Ah, so I guess the Atris and Handmaiden fight wasn't cut. Thanks for the info, NEO|Phyte. Still, the extra content before there was pretty neat, if slight. The extra-Nar Shadda quest wasn't bad, either, but was all a minor addition. I know the HK factory was in the game, but unfortunately I missed that. I may have to go back and have some conversations with HK-47 in the hopes of that popping up.

Dashui on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

EDIT:

Non-cut content aside, every playthrough I can remember, Handmaiden at least gets first crack at Atris, and Exile shows up to save your bacon whether you win or lose the fight, as you get cutscene'd into submission.

That said, I recall the LP having talk of cut content in that area, in which you do indeed get you fight your sisters.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Edit: Ah, so I guess the Atris and Handmaiden fight wasn't cut. Thanks for the info, NEO|Phyte. Still, the extra content before there was pretty neat, if slight. The extra-Nar Shadda quest wasn't bad, either, but was all a minor addition. I know the HK factory was in the game, but unfortunately I missed that. I may have to go back and have some conversations with HK-47 in the hopes of that popping up.

I'll have to replay KOTOR 2 in the coming weeks to confirm that, but I don't remember Handmaiden fighting on Telos. But it's been a while so I could have just forgotten about it.

Also, the HK factory is not in the release game, though there is a string of dialogue still remaining that alludes to a potential scenario and the LP confirms that the locked doors on Telos are hiding it (God damn that shit pissed me off... Looking at a map that suggests working doors and then...nothing... But it does explain why that one HK droid is just kind of sitting there.) Unless you're talking about the game you just finished playing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, I know this has been said many times before but..

I was going for an evil dude me first time through KOTOR, but I was just relenting on Tantoonine.

But then, I met a very special droid...

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2009
    nargle bargle! I'm pretty sure the fights on telos with the handmaidens are unwinnable as a sentinel

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Of course I was merely saying that as a PLOY so I would win the next round. Muhaahahahahaha

Tube on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nargle bargle! I'm pretty sure the fights on telos with the handmaidens are unwinnable as a sentinel
    If it's doable by a consular, it's doable by a sentinel.

Maybe you should try sucking less?
    I've never finished those fights. Ever.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Essentially. But there is a 'trick' that sometimes works if you're not going for Power Jedi. (Spoiler'd for 'I don't know why')
    In the final battle melee, you can use Force powers. Whirlwind is the goal. The problem is, they resist like crazy.

The other problem is if you hadn't been trying to be either a Power Jedi or a Force God... The Mandelorian combat sequence is less fussy. But then, it isn't six against one either.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Set mines before the fight starts?

big l on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Like sex with a fat girl, it's all about the rolls. If you have powers like whirlwind I think it's a lot easier.

Tube on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

But if you only go one path, you don't get all the cool fight animations! Gotta catch em all!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    big l wrote: »

Set mines before the fight starts?

Ancient Jedi technique of 'reloading' usually works.

Also, I forgot just how annoying certain sections of KotOR 1 are. Like Dantooine.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    A beta of the TSL Restored Content Modification (the recently announced project) has been released to the public.

Dashui were you trying out this one or the leaked version by Team Gizka?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    A beta of the TSL Restored Content Modification (the recently announced project) has been released to the public.

Dashui were you trying out this one or the leaked version by Team Gizka?

I used the leaked version thinking they'd never actually put out a release for ages yet. And bloody hell! They actually released it! Bad timing on my part. I suppose I could try this public beta and see if I spot any differences. I wonder if there are any major differences, though, or if it's just less buggy.

Edit: I'm looking at a list of things cut and restored by the mod, and when I played the beta of the mod I actually came across a lot of that restored content. Neato.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    To be clear this group's project is different from the one that has been in development for years. They have a change list at the link below though beware if you don't care for spoilers.

http://www.deadlystream.com/showthread.php?t=228

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    To be clear this group's project is different from the one that has been in development for years. They have a change list at the link below though beware if you don't care for spoilers.

http://www.deadlystream.com/showthread.php?t=228

Ah, so it's a different group. Anyway, I'm reading this list, too, and I saw a lot of this restored content. So far the only restored content I didn't see listed in that link were because I made different choices. I suppose I don't have to replay the game with this release then. I didn't even know that a lot of those scenes or fights or quests were cut. They fit so well into the game when I went through and felt so natural.

Dashui on