As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going uber-generous give everything I have style.

Last time I played it I was polar opposite, kill and take everything they had. So I'm sorta making ammends for that.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    paying off people's debts / doing everything for them is the chump side of the force.

you still peg out your light side meter if you tell those people to do things for themselves after you dispatch whatever thug was harassing them at the time.

Easily one of my favorite bits of Kreia's teachings. Help people if you must, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking you aren't making them weaker by dealing with their challenges for them.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Threepio wrote: »
    So I'm in the "Star Wars Cantina" at PAX on Sunday, chatting with the @lucasartsgames twitterguy (really cool guy, for the record).

We chatted for a bit about the teases they'd dropped so far - the most prevalent being the Lucas Arts Adventure games. He mentioned that he was worried that folks were getting tired of the teases, but that there was another one coming up in two weeks. Definitely ruled out Xwing and Tie Fighter as "who's going to buy a game that would need to see everyone go out and buy another joystick?".

Then we're chatted about KoToR. I'd just acquired a code for it and I was stoked about playing it on PC (I still own it for Xbox). I mentioned I hadn't played KoToR II to this date because I'd always heard it was a buggy mess. He had a bit of a coy smile when he said "just wait".

I may be inferring a bit much... but a finished, patched KoToR II on Steam in under two weeks would be fascinating to see.

I would laugh so hard if LucasArts went and stomped on Gizka's dick by releasing the full game before they finished. Would gain them some serious Dark Side points :winky:

a5ehren on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just played through KotOR and loved it. Played as a light side combat monster, and ended up slaughtering half of the people of most planets I visited. Now I am getting KotOR 2, but I have heard complaints of how unfinished the game is. I've stumbled across the sith lords restoration project and I am just wondering if you would recommend installing it for my first playthrough.

EDIT:
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    So I'm in the "Star Wars Cantina" at PAX on Sunday, chatting with the @lucasartsgames twitterguy (really cool guy, for the record).

We chatted for a bit about the teases they'd dropped so far - the most prevalent being the Lucas Arts Adventure games. He mentioned that he was worried that folks were getting tired of the teases, but that there was another one coming up in two weeks. Definitely ruled out Xwing and Tie Fighter as "who's going to buy a game that would need to see everyone go out and buy another joystick?".

Then we're chatted about KoToR. I'd just acquired a code for it and I was stoked about playing it on PC (I still own it for Xbox). I mentioned I hadn't played KoToR II to this date because I'd always heard it was a buggy mess. He had a bit of a coy smile when he said "just wait".

I may be inferring a bit much... but a finished, patched KoToR II on Steam in under two weeks would be fascinating to see.

I would laugh so hard if LucasArts went and stomped on Gizka's dick by releasing the full game before they finished. Would gain them some serious Dark Side points :winky:

Holy shit, maybe I could actually wait a few weeks...

Vic on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What the hell? If Lucasarts revisits KOTORII that's going to be some epic-level patching. That would pretty much make up 100% for releasing it completely busted.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh shit here comes pacman

seriously though I loved kotor II and would bust skeet all over kotor II enhanced edition

fucking school though shitcock penisbrains oh well

Robman on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't exactly hold hold your breath on that, but it would be supercool.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Karl wrote: »
    I tried to turn Malek back to the lightside at the end. He did not. That made me :(

Then Ballista was all surprised that i tried. Stupid bitch. Still pulled her though. My Revan was a G

yeah best spoiler that. Sorry
    Sadly, it's not possible to turn Malak back to the light, It kinda annoyed me that they tease with you with that possibility because I thought the exact same thing when I first beat the game. When I first started thinking that you could redeem Malak, I thought "oh shit, maybe the game isn't over yet and you have to fight maybe the Star Forge itself somehow and Malak helps you.

Yeah, no, that didn't happen.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I tried to turn Malek back to the lightside at the end. He did not. That made me :(

Then Ballista was all surprised that i tried. Stupid bitch. Still pulled her though. My Revan was a G

Sadly, it's not possible to turn Malak back to the light, It kinda annoyed me that they tease with you with that possibility because I thought the exact same thing when I first beat the game. When I first started thinking that you could redeem Malak, I thought "oh shit, maybe the game isn't over yet and you have to fight maybe the Star Forge itself somehow and Malak helps you.

What would have happened if Malak turned back? He would have been lynched as soon as he walked out of the starforge. He's not stupid, he knows he's fully committed to his course. Win or die.

I'm also curious about how nobody ever talks too much as to the arrogance of the jedi council, letting you walk away somehow 'reborn' and washed of your sins. Imagine post-WWII releasing Hitler and saying "he's a good man now! ololol" there would be an absolute uprising.

Robman on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Was there ever a way to get around the DRM? I own the game but the game refuses to play because it thinks I pirated it. The unplayed discs are in my hand.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    Yeah, the chance of a restored KotoR II is pretty small but it doesn't hurt to hope. Although with my luck, the LA twitter guy was just thinking about the KotoR MMORPG, which I have about zero interest in..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Yeah, the chance of a restored KotoR II is pretty small but it doesn't hurt to hope. Although with my luck, the LA twitter guy was just thinking about the KotoR MMORPG, which I have about zero interest in..

I would have said this a week ago, but I have to say that the first kotor has made me fall in love with the jedi and the world of the old republic. I feel that I will have to give their MMO a go, what they have shown and said indicate that it will be quite an interesting even if most of the game is essentially a semi-linear co-op single player experience.

Vic on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »

What would have happened if Malak turned back? He would have been lynched as soon as he walked out of the starforge. He's not stupid, he knows he's fully committed to his course. Win or die.

I'm also curious about how nobody ever talks too much as to the arrogance of the jedi council, letting you walk away somehow 'reborn' and washed of your sins. Imagine post-WWII releasing Hitler and saying "he's a good man now! ololol" there would be an absolute uprising.

Meh, the Jedi had the force to basically make him a new person. And it's possible not everyone really knew who Revan even was. Maybe his name, but not who he was. Just another Jedi/Sith to most people.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Meh, the Jedi had the force to basically make him a new person.

Actually no. If you take KOTOR 2 into account, they pretty much didn't change Revan at all they just gave him a fresh start. For all intents and purposes though it was the exact same person. Which also means that he's still the exact same person who went to war with the Republic, albeit not possessing the context under which he made that choice.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't recall anything from KOTOR 2 to indicate Revan had decided to go to war with the Republic again. He went after the Sith. He may or may not have gone to war to "protect" the Republic before, but this time he went to war with the Bad Guys. That one choice makes him a vastly different person to me, even if everything else about him stayed the same. I'm not sure they've really revealed enough about Revan canon-wise to say how much he changed or not, regardless, so I could be wrong. Or if they have, I'm sadly not aware of the books on him.

I do wonder what would happen in KOTOR 3. It be nice to catch up to Revan now and see.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just picked up the original KOTOR again on steam, I haven't played this game in years.

I'm really getting sick of the "Carth is looking distant, maybe you should talk to him." things, however. Because I always do, and then he's always a bitch.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Meh, the Jedi had the force to basically make him a new person.

Actually no. If you take KOTOR 2 into account, they pretty much didn't change Revan at all they just gave him a fresh start. For all intents and purposes though it was the exact same person. Which also means that he's still the exact same person who went to war with the Republic, albeit not possessing the context under which he made that choice.

The information you get is a little unreliable though. If you notice, it's implied that the mind-wipe was not common knowledge, that the information that the Jedi council seemed to release was that Revan just decided to help them all of a sudden. Also anything Kreia tells you is probably a lie the lying liar. So the information that Revan just continued on may not be correct as per the writing. No one outside of Revan and T3 really know what happened. And T3 won't really give you any real details.

Also, they don't really go into detail with what Revan did after the Jedi council fucked him up those stupid bastards. The events of KOTOR I seems to have happened, after which Revan... went away. It's mentioned that she went to find the "true sith", but the entire masterminding of the war in an attempt to strengthen the republic seems to have gone away. In fact, since it took G0-T0 to also start breaking things all over the place to give the republic any hope of not collapsing, there's a chance that Revan's plan was interrupted with the mind wipe and he could've done much more if they hadn't been the stupid council.

Either way, KOTOR 2 goes into very little detail about what Revan did after KOTOR 1, and all the retconning was what he did before the mind wipe.

Also fuck the Jedi council.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I think I'll might rebuy KotoR since my old discs was ruined when I moved into my current apartment. Hell, I'll even buy it from STEAM, despite my dislike for the insane price setting for E.U customers.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I re-played KOTOR about a month ago. I'm still using XP 32 and I had a ton of bugs. It was still playable..just annoying. So if the steam version has some good updates and fixes, I MAY re-purchase this.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the things I like about KOTOR is that its that its funny how your characters story arc changes depending on whether you go light or dark.
    If you were light before the memory revelation and light after then its a story about redemption. Revan wasnt a bad person, he just made some bad choices, given another chance he can do it right.

If you're bad all the way Revan was always destined to be a bad egg and nothing would have changed that.

Or you could try light, then dark. He would have been good but finding out his true nature made it a self fulfilling prophesy.

Or dark, then light. Where finding out where the dark path leads him scares him straight.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I just picked up the original KOTOR again on steam, I haven't played this game in years.

I'm really getting sick of the "Carth is looking distant, maybe you should talk to him." things, however. Because I always do, and then he's always a bitch.

I don't know why everyone complains about Carth. Every conversation with him goes something like:

Game: You should talk to Carth
    PC: "Hey tell me about everything on your mind and everything that's happened to you"
    Carth: "I've been shit on a few times, I'd really rather not talk about it."
    PC: "Oh come ooooonnnnnn"
    Carth: "Seriously, I don't want to talk about it"
    PC: "Oh coooommmmmme oooooooooooooon"
    Carth: "Alright! My mentor joined the enemy side and ordered an orbital bombardment that probably killed everyone I knew and loved! I have some really bad trust issues from this, you happy?!"
    Like, every idiot player ever: "Haha, he's such a little whining bitch"

And he GETS BETTER throughout the course of the game! He overcomes his issues! He has excellent character development, moreso than pretty much any other character in the game!

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What the hell? If Lucasarts revisits KOTORII that's going to be some epic-level patching. That would pretty much make up 100% for releasing it completely busted.

Fixing a game so that it has an ending and doesn't have game-breaking bugs 4 years after it comes out does not really make up 100% for releasing a broken piece of shit game.

I like lightsabers and jedi as much as the next dude, but man, have some standards.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

I don't know why everyone complains about Carth. Every conversation with him goes something like:

Carth: "OH MASTER, I DO NOT TRUST YOU! I CANNOT TRUST YOU OR ANYONE EVER AGAIN!"

Fixed that for you.

My favorite piece of trivia about Carth is that he was designed to be the perfect man to women. Including like focus group testing, interviews with women, they went all out about it. He's "sensitive", he's got emotional problems that the ladies can help fix, he wants to talk about his feelings all the time, he's just waiting for someone to show him how to trust again and maybe that's the woman, etc etc etc.

It makes his character hilarious.

By the way, when you're trying to make a character seem like a good one? Saying "Guys seriously, look at this 6 line summary of every conversation, see he's great" not so effective.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

PC: "Hey tell me about everything on your mind and everything that's happened to you"
    Carth: "Alright! My mentor joined the enemy side and ordered an orbital bombardment that probably killed everyone I knew and loved! I have some really bad trust issues from this, you happy?!"

And he GETS BETTER throughout the course of the game! He overcomes his issues! He has excellent character development, moreso than pretty much any other character in the game!

Sshhhhh! You'll ruin people's transference of their disgust with the game practically forcing the player to engage in conversation with an NPC who has a past that isn't filled with badassery onto the the NPC. And then applying it to future characters that Raphael Sbarge provides a voice to...

EDIT:
    Somehow forgot a word. Added isn't as in 'isn't filled with'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Carth was more badass when he had ENERGY LEGS, it's a fact that force biotics make someone 100% cooler

Also the ME-Carth didn't have a bitch beard and had better clothing

Robman on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Carth would have been a lot more tolerable if he wasnt so fucking bland.

TVtropes has a good name for it: "The Freddy". The guy whose not as heroic as the hero. Not as edgy as the anti hero. Not as smart as The Smart One, He's just kind of...there. People hate Carth becasue he's a Freddy so you dont give a crap about his problems regardless of how tragic they are and resent him for having to stop every so often so freddy can have a cry.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Video Game Badasses who are sensitive don't make sense. You're all abloo abloo over your lost wife, yet you're perfectly happy while gunning down thousands of people.

But a game populated with hardened psychopaths wouldn't have such wide appeal, I think.

Robman on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jeedan wrote: »
    TVtropes has a good na-

Goodbye, Sunday afternoon in the sun...

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    moocow wrote: »

Fixing a game so that it has an ending and doesn't have game-breaking bugs 4 years after it comes out does not really make up 100% for releasing a broken piece of shit game.

I like lightsabers and jedi as much as the next dude, but man, have some standards.

I still wonder about these mystery bugs everyone encounters in KOTOR 2. I guess half the reason I love it is because I have magical super luck and have never encountered any.

Ending doesn't really bother me though.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Video Game Badasses who are sensitive don't make sense. You're all abloo abloo over your lost wife, yet you're perfectly happy while gunning down thousands of people.

But a game populated with hardened psychopaths wouldn't have such wide appeal, I think.

But those thousands of people DESERVED it. It makes all the difference in the world. It's why abloo abloo'ing is dramatic and touching(tm) and then revenge is Bad Ass And Fun For The Whole Family(tm). Context is everything. So Revan can be Light and Dark at the same time, he just got some details wrong the first time. Carth...I didn't care about Carth. I guess that means I'm not a woman in my mind, either. Hooray.

I hope the restoration project (either of them) finishes soon. Maybe they can make Carth badass and have a secret playable Revan!...or not.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »

I would have said this a week ago, but I have to say that the first kotor has made me fall in love with the jedi and the world of the old republic. I feel that I will have to give their MMO a go, what they have shown and said indicate that it will be quite an interesting even if most of the game is essentially a semi-linear co-op single player experience.

I feel the same way. KOTOR is my favorite Star Wars EU period besides the NJO era (not the Legacy books though).

Bioware has pulled out all the stops, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. And hopefully we'll FINALLY figure out what happened to Revan.

In KOTOR II my favorite bits were always the ones between the female exile and Sion. You get some awesome lines there to break his will. I also enjoyed the philosophy about whether the force REALLY makes someone a better person or not.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

But those thousands of people DESERVED it. It makes all the difference in the world. It's why abloo abloo'ing is dramatic and touching(tm) and then revenge is Bad Ass And Fun For The Whole Family(tm). Context is everything. So Revan can be Light and Dark at the same time, he just got some details wrong the first time. Carth...I didn't care about Carth. I guess that means I'm not a woman in my mind, either. Hooray.

I hope the restoration project (either of them) finishes soon. Maybe they can make Carth badass and have a secret playable Revan!...or not.

KOTOR II needed a scene where you storm a compound and kill the guards as a possible solution to someone's complaint. Then you find out that guarding the compound was the only real source of income for the community, that the guards were buying food for their families, etc.

Really the idea of "kill everyone!" and marching around with an assault rifle perched on your massive death-boner needs to be addressed a lot more.

Robman on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jeedan wrote: »

Carth would have been a lot more tolerable if he wasnt so fucking bland.

TVtropes has a good name for it: "The Freddy". The guy whose not as heroic as the hero. Not as edgy as the anti hero. Not as smart as The Smart One, He's just kind of...there. People hate Carth becasue he's a Freddy so you dont give a crap about his problems regardless of how tragic they are and resent him for having to stop every so often so freddy can have a cry.
    Now listed under The Generic Guy, by the way.

And it's still not the reason. Let's face it, the game does force you to interact with your party rather than having them just speak up like most games would do. This makes Carth look especially mopey. Of course, once you get a decent sized party going, it abandons this altogether because they presume by now you're used to the concept of periodically talking with your companions.

But, ultimately, what really screws Carth is that he's simply not a Jedi. It's a Star Wars game and the only character class that people really give a damn about is anybody who can wiggle a lightsaber. Or maybe a sarcastic, homicidal droid... Carth is a decent character with credible motivations who is hampered by the tutorial level and overall shitty design that is Taris. He has one of the best reaction lines when dealing with the woman and the droid on Dantooine.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

KOTOR II needed a better ending. And more HK-47.

Fixed that up a little. :)

We don't really need morality lessons per se in games. It wont convince anyone of anything and just give people like the late great Jack Thompson ammo. Not saying not to have a "message" or not to make the player think, but those guards are going to die regardless of their reasons for being there almost certainly, so it kind of defeats the purpose in the first place.

As a possible example (Fallout 3 spoiler)
    The ghouls (not) living with humans in Tenpenny Tower. That was probably meant by the designers to be a bit of a 'life lesson'. But in the end, it mostly just pissed people off.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem isn't morality lessons, it's poorly done morality messages. Like your FO3 example. The problem is bad stuff suddenly happening from the players actions without any prior hint, but a properly designed game would get the player to think about it first. Like the Witcher. But going back to kotor2, take the lesson Kreia gives when you first land on Nar Shadaa with the beggar.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The lesson that no matter what you do, you breed something negative aside from something positive, or the other way around.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    The lesson that no matter what you do, you breed something negative aside from something positive, or the other way around.

Basically yes. There are repercussions beyond what is immediately obvious but as a user of the Force you can learn to follow the echo and see how your actions will effect the world beyond the immediate and manipulate anything/everything.

It's optimistic in a cynical kind of way.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't agree that non-Jedi characters aren't interesting. I find some of them far more compelling that the idiot ball Jedi Council who supposedly defend the galaxy's muggles.

Handmaiden, Atton, Mission, Jolee (who does not consider himself a Jedi and gets called out on it by Bastila many times) Canderous, HK-47.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'd say it was because you have no choice in the matter. You cannot avoid generating a 'negative' outcome with the beggar. Ever. And then you have to hear Kreia tell you that you should be mindful that your actions mean more than just the immediate result... Meanwhile, you still don't have the full story of your own Madalorian Wars actions even though you aren't an amnesiac...

It leaves the lesson a bit hollow when you're forced to make a choice that always, without fail, results in a negative outcome and then you have to be lectured about it by the woman who is using you for her own ends...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'd say it was because you have no choice in the matter. You cannot avoid generating a 'negative' outcome with the beggar. Ever. And then you have to hear Kreia tell you that you should be mindful that your actions mean more than just the immediate result... Meanwhile, you still don't have the full story of your own Madalorian Wars actions even though you aren't an amnesiac...

It leaves the lesson a bit hollow when you're forced to make a choice that always, without fail, results in a negative outcome and then you have to be lectured about it by the woman who is using you for her own ends...

To be fair I believe it's beyond the scope of videogames in general to truly permit action and reaction on the scale Kreia is teaching you to perform over the course of the game.

Fiaryn on