As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't listen to music, is there something wrong with me?

ZyreZyre Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I do like music, don't get me wrong, I just don't listen to it. I have never listened to music of any type just for enjoyment. I don't listen to music for inspiration or to modify my mood. I don't listen to music. There are songs I like from all types of genres - songs I think are cool. But I don't listen to them. I've tried to force myself to listen to and enjoy music, but I just tune it out - which can be sort of a blessing I suppose, I've had friends that complain about nearby crappy music or noises that bother them and I had already tuned it out and ignored it.

I prefer to be in silence all day than listen to anything, especially when I'm trying to do something that requires concentration. When I drive and the few times I turn on the radio it's always talk radio. Is this me always needing to think logically and never emotionally or creatively?

Is this normal/common, or am I just weird? Is there some kind of "medical" term for people like me? Everyone I know has a favorite type of music, has songs they like or dislike and so on. I find it hard to communicate with people that love music and can talk about music like it's their life and I have nothing to say.

Growing up I don't believe my parents listened to music very often, so perhaps that has something to do with it? My mother was blind her whole life and used her hearing as her primary sense to get around, but she did throw tunes on once in awhile kinda like my dad, he never listens to music except for parties and special events and such, he treats music kinda like a book or a movie, sometimes he'll throw something on once a month and have it play for a few hours, but other than that it's not something he actively listens to on a daily basis like most people. But even he is familiar with music and know's all kinds of artisits and bands from when he was young lad. I know pretty much next to nothing about music, what's popular, who's famous etc.

I tried playing music when I was in school, I was in band for 3 years. I didn't care for it.

Zyre on

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nothing wrong with it at all, dude

i mean it's not "the norm", but its not the strangest thing ever

my house was always silent growing up and it affected my tastes

i can't stand music played loudly, and i never listen to radio or watch TV unless someone else turns it on

music is just one of the many, many forms of entertainment in the world

if you're happy without it, then eh theres other things to appreciate

Fletcher on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    When my mp3 player died on me six months ago I didn't miss it. Listening to music usually goes in cycles for me, half a year without listening to music is common.

When I do feel the need to listen to music again it's probably because I've discovered a new artist I like, I then listen to only that artist for 2 months - grow tired and then take a break from music again. I also like talk-radio more than music-radio.

tl;dr: No, there's nothing wrong with you - everyone is different in tastes and so on.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm quite the opposite - silence drives me mad. If I don't have a tune playing already I've undoubtedly got one looping in my head, for the sake of my sanity. There's nothing wrong with either of us, it's just a matter of preference.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe you're a musical late bloomer. I had very little interest in music until I was 17 four years on and I'm actually a pretty big metalhead who goes to gigs and festivals all the time. I tend to listen to music more when I'm driving or walking around.

I'm just one of those people that like something going on in the background, but if you're not there's nothing wrong with that.

Casual on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm the same really, I'll happily sit and listen to music, but I've no real appreciation of it. Just as happy sitting in silence.

Got an iPod that I hardly ever use, been to maybe half a dozen gigs/concerts in my life, and have no real preference over what I listen to.

Spam on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was the same way when I was younger, then I discovered the wonderful world of rock, and Tool and APC. Never looked back.

rfalias on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OP, there's nothing wrong with you. Talk radio exists for a reason.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nah, you're not weird. Infact, my boyfriend is the same exact way. When we're in the car, it's talk radio that's usually on. Or he asks me to burn him a disk of purely comedy acts, favoring that over any kind of music. Occasionally music will come on the radio, and I'll be singing along or something, and then comment on how I liked that one, and he'd say how he wasn't paying attention to it at all.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i am a late bloomer myself. I knew what music I liked ever since i was kid but I never went after it. I grew up just listening to music in the car and thats how I am now. Wasn't till I was like 19 that I actually sought out the artists and song titles of the music I liked. And now I have a large music collection for someone like me but its basically all for my zune which stays in my car.

i did feel a little weird growing up cause kids would ask me who I liked and what I listened to but I never had an answer. But you know what? It doesn't matter as long as you are cool with it. Don't get into music just to fit in or something.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what? More power to you. It's just a glorified form of art that our generation has gotten over excited about. Don't sweat it

Silence is golden. Silence allows your to concentrate. Personally I like silence. Now and then I put public radio up for news but my drives are mostly silent, busy thinking.

The only bad thing I can imagine that results from not listening to a bunch of music would be a slight social disadvantage.

Doxa on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I honestly concentrate (or sleep) the best with classical music. Bach especially

rfalias on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't imagine living without listening to music every day. Just last night I was exhausted, so after watching the previous night's Daily Show and Colbert, all I did was throw on a mix I'm working on for a girl, vegged on the couch, and just listened.

Reckless on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Perfectly normal. As with all things, everyone has different things they enjoy or do not enjoy.

I don't "listen to music" in the sense that I would do only that. I'll throw something on if I'm getting ready for work or doing something on the PC that doesn't require concentration. I'll listen to it in the car, but I'm pretty picky and often just throw on news radio instead.

There's nothing wrong with you.

On a similar note, I find myself very uninterested in sports, when all around me friends/family watch them and discuss them. Different strokes, I suppose.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's perfectly fine. It's honestly good that you're able to know what you like and go with that.

I honestly don't like movies, so I only go see them as acts of camaraderie with my friends.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Movie watching is often a chore for me, If its not the event of seeing them on the big screen, I dont want to watch them. Popping in a DVD is like a terrible curse where I have to sit still for three hours.

Basically, you arent all that weird. I didnt really listen to music as a kid, as I got older music began to trigger pretty elaborate images in my head, and then it became addictive. This is the exact reason I suffer when watching movies. I get bored because Im not making images in my head cause I have to look at the movie.

People take in media different ways, I wouldnt worry about it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are only three times I like to listen to music: Driving, during sex, and while coding. Otherwise I don't really like to. I'd say there's nothing wrong with you.

On the plus side, there is nothing more annoying than some douchebag plugged into his iPod 24/7 who's constantly having to ask you "What?" because he can't hear your cause he's got his music up too loud, then they pull out one earphone and act like it's the end of the fucking world that they can't be plugged into their music at all times, especially after they asked me a question! So I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't listen to music, than one who thinks they have to listen at all times.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    X600X600 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So you're not a music person. I don't really find that to be "weird", even though I'm a big music lover. What I would find weird is someone who actually dislikes music entirely. I've met one person like that.

X600 on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    X600 wrote: »
    So you're not a music person. I don't really find that to be "weird", even though I'm a big music lover. What I would find weird is someone who actually dislikes music entirely. I've met one person like that.

Having amusia must really suck.

I love music, but I can only listen to it when I'm in a car or dancing/singing along; I can't sit still and listen (unless it's a classical concert); I just get infuriated. And I have to have silence when I'm working or reading; I find music or talking or any other noise a real irritant.

Janson on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In any given day, I'll wander between extremes - hours and hours of absolute silence required for reading or if I just want to sit and think (to the point of being irritable if someone even opens a door in the background), then hours and hours of music (sometimes the same song for the whole time) while I'm writing, exercising or doing chores. I do get a lot of what ApexMirage gets, though - if there's silence, a song will keep running through my head. Sometimes annoying, sometimes welcome.

It's pretty much down to 'different people are different'.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree with everyone here that there's absolutely nothing wrong with not listening to music, or just not caring about it at all.

But as a professional musician and consummate music lover, I can't help but feel sorry that you're missing out on so much beauty.

Then again, I get nothing out of looking at a Picasso, so I guess I'm no better off, am I?

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure there's anything wrong with not liking music but if you want to like music, I suppose there is always time to start.

For some people, they don't get enthusiastic about music because they've never heard the music that grabs them. Quite simply, there is so much music out there its very easy to let some, if not most of it, slip past your radar. Maybe just try listening to some random playlist songs on youtube/pandora/last.fm and maybe something will catch your ear.

If this really worries you, you could try taking up an instrument of some kind- through learning the instrument and some of your favorite songs (i would think even someone who doesn't like music would have one or two songs they recognize and like) you might gain an appreciation for the complexity or simplicity of the piece...

Just to reinforce my point, I don't think there is anything wrong with not liking music, but if you want to gain an appreciation (or even a liking) for music there are many outlets and ways to do so.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't listen to music on my own time until I was a senior in high school. My dad gave me a Beatles CD and I started, but to this day I have to be in a "mood" to listen to music. I love it but I have to feel it.

It would be weird if you had no form of entertainment in your life but I'm doubting thats the case since you're postin on these forums

The worst part of it, I'm sure, is when people ask you what kind of music you like. I dunno how I would respond myself.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be honest here: I don't know whats wrong with you. Music for me is an integral part of my life. I listen to music every day. At my computer, in my car, when I'm sleeping, in class during tests. I've never known anyone to not like or listen to music. Of all my friends, we all have some kind of musical connection. I don't think I could live without music. I've been listening to music for the past four hours without a break.

So, _I_ think it's weird.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i think you're weird!

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're not weird, but you clearly don't have a soul. In which case congratulations you're now qualified for countless CEO, politician and movie exec positions

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He'll probably own a record company or two by the middle of the next decade.

Oh, hell, it all makes sense now.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am a big music aficionado and I am just as annoyed by the OP when dealing with people who need constant background noise to function (especially when reading a book... ugh). When I first really got into it in high school I would seriously listen to things constantly, but it eventually wore on the nerves and I stopped liking some of my old favorites until I learned discipline and stopped putting on a song no matter what. Now I don't use it as background noise unless I'm really in the mood, what I'm doing absolutely doesn't require me to think, or I'm really scatterbrained and need something to make my mood more consistent. It does very much help with mindless labor where my brain keeps wandering and going in infuriating loops.

Silence is, in a way, a type of music anyway. So really it just comes down to what sounds do you like? That's your music.

Or maybe you just haven't found the right thing yet. I know I don't give a damn about art but every now and then a painting catches my eye (more often than not one that no one else cares about). Hell I wasn't truly satisfied with music until I discovered Blind Guardian and realized that it was exactly what I'd wanted to hear all my life but didn't know how to put it in words and go out and find it.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Free HotelFree Hotel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OP I am the exact same as you, I could never picture myself sitting down just to listen to music and do nothing else and I do not enjoy having it on in the background. Sports talk > FM radio, in my opinion.

Everybody is different, its not a big deal

Free Hotel on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't really like music either. It's all right to play, but not to listen to.

You're cool.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Huh, if I don't get at least 2 hours of music a day, I get agitated.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you if you don't like listening to it, though. You might, as many other people have said, be a late bloomer too.

Tam on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are some bands you can't sit and listen to. You sort of have to have them on in the background. I think Girl Talk is a good example.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was this exact way until age 18 or so. Never had any favorite bands, never paid attention to lyrics or even bothered to download/buy the few songs that did sound good to me.

Then I was introduced to the wonders of marijuana, and music became an entirely different beast.

Could have been a coincidence, but it's what I attribute to unlocking my musical tastes.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure I'd advocate marijuana as a solution to his problem ;-)

If anything, I'd say check some music review aggregate sites and pick the highest rated artists from the different genres, and search for them at Pandora. The good thing about pandora is that you can like/dislike a song and it will automatically limit or add specific attributes to your play list that you selected. It's a good way to find new music that you like.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wasn't trying to imply that he go out and smoke, it just seemed to be the catalyst that got me into music. Before: Exactly like the OP. After: I now have dozens of albums and find great entertainment/beauty in music. I apologize if the subject matter was not appropriate.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Personally, I need music or sound all the time. I mean all the time. I live for everything music. of course, I'm a professional musician so take it as you will.

But I don't think there needs to be any "solutions" to the OPs "problems"

If you don't like listening to music don't. But listen to things at least once. Maybe you'll find what you want.

I had a composition professor who listened to pretty much every style. Ever. He didn't like a lot of them, but he listened to them.

If you care about your musician cred? Listen to it all.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're not weird. I dont listen to music. I probably only brought 2 albums wroth of songs in my lifetime. I defiantly dont have a favorite artists and concerts bore the hell out of me.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Up until I was 15 or 16 I didn't listen to any music at all. Around that time I went away to boarding school and made friends with a kid who was really into music. A few years later I was learning guitar, drums, piano, and listening to any type of music I could get my hands on.

There's nothing wrong with you. Some people just aren't that into music. Maybe some day you'll start liking music the way I did but if you don't it's no big deal.

Food on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Er, it's unusual, but consider this:

I felt as though I ought to like music even when I didn't as a kid. I forced myself to listen to music and hated it at first, but after a while, I started liking it- the patterns and the surprise of something new. Now I actively listen to things that I wouldn't have even called music 5 years ago.

So, if you want to like music, you could borrow CDs with music from as many different styles and genres as possible, or browse youtube or whatever, and try sit through it for a bit every day.

Tam on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zyre wrote: »
    Growing up I don't believe my parents listened to music very often, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Probably. Music is a little bit like its own language; comprehension and, by extension, appreciation, has to be developed.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zyre wrote: »
    I do like music, don't get me wrong, I just don't listen to it. I have never listened to music of any type just for enjoyment. I don't listen to music for inspiration or to modify my mood. I don't listen to music. There are songs I like from all types of genres - songs I think are cool. But I don't listen to them. I've tried to force myself to listen to and enjoy music, but I just tune it out - which can be sort of a blessing I suppose, I've had friends that complain about nearby crappy music or noises that bother them and I had already tuned it out and ignored it.

I prefer to be in silence all day than listen to anything, especially when I'm trying to do something that requires concentration. When I drive and the few times I turn on the radio it's always talk radio. Is this me always needing to think logically and never emotionally or creatively?

Is this normal/common, or am I just weird? Is there some kind of "medical" term for people like me? Everyone I know has a favorite type of music, has songs they like or dislike and so on. I find it hard to communicate with people that love music and can talk about music like it's their life and I have nothing to say.

Growing up I don't believe my parents listened to music very often, so perhaps that has something to do with it? My mother was blind her whole life and used her hearing as her primary sense to get around, but she did throw tunes on once in awhile kinda like my dad, he never listens to music except for parties and special events and such, he treats music kinda like a book or a movie, sometimes he'll throw something on once a month and have it play for a few hours, but other than that it's not something he actively listens to on a daily basis like most people. But even he is familiar with music and know's all kinds of artisits and bands from when he was young lad. I know pretty much next to nothing about music, what's popular, who's famous etc.

I tried playing music when I was in school, I was in band for 3 years. I didn't care for it.

I didn't buy my first album till I was 18, then I bought perhaps 1 a year for 5 years, then suddenly I found a band I really loved and suddenly I started loving music. Theres certainly nothing wrong with you for not liking it, but you really are missing out, I would recommend just not stressing about it and one day you'll find yourself liking something. I mean, I'll never put on music for simple passive noise, but I love it now when I'm walking or driving. I mean, you say you have songs you like, just listen to them and songs like them. You don't need to force yourself to expand your musical horizons!

Oh yeah, and go dancing and drinking with hot girls, then you will see another reason why music is so great :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln