As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Dungeons & Dragons 4e - The Dragons

ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Critical Failures
A brief backstory on Dragons - Legend has it that the first dragon was Io, a diety who crated all other dragons in his own image. They were the epitome of mortal form, without equal in the world. Chromatics in particular forged a name for themselves. When you hear of a dragon who has ravaged the land, stolen great treasures, kidnapped a princess and played the local court against itself, you're hearing about a Chromatic.
Humanoid races are little more than rodents compared to a Dragon. Dragons live centuries in seclusion, outliving entire nations and religions, and sometimes species. They are notoriously proud and avaricious. Indeed, any dragon who you meet treats you as if they have already done you a favor - for they have. They chose not to eat you on the spot.

- - -

Gettin' together an Adventurer's Company is harder than ya might think. Y'all can't just round up some tough lookin' guys at the local tavern and expect to go take on the forces of evil, no sir. An Adventurer is a special breed, someone set apart from the common man. If any ol' shmuck could go take down a swarm of illithid, a horde of zombies or a rampaging dragon, well we wouldn't need savin' in the first place now would we?

- - -

The five of you have come to the middle of freaking nowhere. More specifically, on a mountain, in a forest, just off the road of the middle of freaking nowhere at a small wayhouse. Just a large shack where you can fill your canteens, rest your feet, or stay the night in the middle of a long journey. You all agreed to meet a contact there as a halfway point. The contact turned out to be a plump woman, probably a house wife or something from a nearby village that's looking to hire.

"...our little town of Marelaus has recently run into some troubles you see. We're just a fishing community on the coast, it's a lovely place to live really, but if it's not one thing it's another. Oh sure, the weather can get a little rough sometimes, but that's just part of life on, or rather next to, the sea.
But then a few years ago the fishing started to get worse and worse. Boats were bringing in fewer and fewer hauls, and with so little income we needed a new way to trade and fast. But the road on the way in is just riddled with monsters you see - JUST RIDDLED WITH THEM! So we decided to make a new road, one that goes THROUGH one of the mountains instead of all the way around the whole mountain range. It's just ever so clever.
But now that too has become a broken down plan. More of those pesky monsters - kobolds I think they're called - have completely taken over our mining operations from the inside out! The little buggers must've been in there the whole time!
We could really use your aid in exterminating them, nobody in our town is really that good with a sword or a spell, and your company came highly recommended to me by my second cousin over in whatsitcalled.....Anyway! The job pays 300 gold, what do you say?"

This woman has been talking your collective ears off for well over an hour now. She seems nice, but she just wouldn't let any of you get a word in edgewise; it's almost as if this were some sort of nefarious tactic to get you to accept. But the money's pretty good, and it seems like a good way to get your Adventuring Company off the ground. Classic adventuring stuff.

Shinyo on

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raze stood by the wall of the wayhouse, listening impassively. The giant construct stood completely still aside from the faintly glowing runes on its chest, and the vines showing from its few exposed joints. When the woman finally finished, it simply nodded.
    "Kobolds in your mines? I believe we can assist." The towering Warforged looked at the other members of the group, its eyes flickering red, as it traced one finger across the edge of the blade slung across its back, with the faint rasping sound of steel on steel.

Rainfall on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The white-haired Tiefling woman next to the barbarian stretched and rolled her eyes. "Aw, Kobolds? Come on, that's like... so boorish. I mean, three hundred pieces... couldn't you just buy some weapons and pay for someone to teach some of you how to fight? They're just kobolds."

Nemeia plopped down onto a stool, her leathery tail curling around the legs. "I mean, you guys are all good with the blade, right? At least, I know Z'ad is."

The three robots fixed the petite Tiefling with unblinking stares as the Dragonborn snorted.

"You guys just don't think big enough. We should be taking on a beholder at least. But nooooo..."

With an overly dramatic sigh the woman began to snap her fingers, little static shocks of lighting erupting filling the room with annoying pops and cracks.

Super Namicchi on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Nemieia... we have being over this in conversations previous. Mercenary is only as big as the client needs him to be. Payment is proportionate to problem, not to solution. Is good solition," Z'ad said, patting his sheathed sword, "but this is... economics, yes? Kobolds bother us somewhat only. For others it is not so. We are professionally foolish in violence. This is useful for client who desires life more than money."

The Dragonborn continued to funnnel a pitcher of water into his canteen... cups simply did not work for a person without lips.

"I do not wish for to have a loom... I have not the hands for it. I buy cloth. They do not wish for to have swords... because kobolds will bite them. They buy sword in our hand. Is very... progressive. The civilized world is a fascination of this kind, not like the Zudd at all."

Z'ad scratched at his shiny black scales as he mentioned the swamps... this place was inconveniently dry. At these times Nemeia somewhat regretted having taught him even the most rudimentary of economic principles.

"Maybe someday we fight this 'beholder' of yours. I... am assuming a beholder is not also a kobold. But still, it is not having sense in defeating one until we are to be paid for it. Raze understands, yes?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Teron listened to Z'ad's words. "Right, we offer a service, not goods or weapons."

The Warforged wasn't so comfortable with being called a mercenary, it brought back experiences he'd almost rather forget. Unfortunately, he'd learned that deceiving himself was not something he was willing to do. At the moment, he was a mercenary, no doubt about it.

"I say we take the job, we'll need the gold eventually. And we'd be helping this place grow and prosper. Not to mention that the kobolds may decide they don't just want the tunnels but the town that dug them as well. I've heard of it happening before."

"And a beholder is a big floating eyeball with teeth and spells. If we got lucky and had surprise on our side, we could maybe take one down. Still, I'd rather have some bigger weapons before trying it."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    "You're all boring," the tiefling said, making the lightning pop a final time. "You're dooming us to a life of endlessly plumbing the depths of mines and caves to clear out kobolds. For eternity."

The word eternity was said with a lot more gravity than it deserved. There was also an ominous hand gesture.

"Eternity. Kobolds."

After a moment she blinked. "Hey, wait a second Z'ad. Aren't Kobolds cousins of yours? I'm sure I read that somewhere that you dragonfolk and kobolds were a breed or two apart. Not that I'm implying you're a Kobold, mind. Just..."

She saw the black-eyed deathgaze Z'ad was fond of as he finished filling his canteen.

"Yeah, let's go get those Kobolds! Yes indeed!" Nemeia said with a forced smile.

Super Namicchi on
    edited June 2009
    Z'ad didn't respond to her dig about him being related to Kobolds... he suspected she knew better than that. Was it a joke? Humanoids had an odd sense of humor. That is to say... humanoids had a sense of humor. He was still trying to understand when something was a "joke". It was so hard to tell!

"Do not speak of this 'Eternity of Kobolds' or gods will hear and make it so. If it gives to you comfort, the Kobold often works for the more powerful. Maybe not your 'beholders'... but the power of Tiamat's servants is far beyond Kobold."

Z'ad corked his canteen and lashed it to his crude leather belt.

"A kobold wants the power. He serves a greater servant of Tiamat, or tries to please them. A slave of slaves. It is stupid: I doubt that Tiamat likes it."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • HonezHonez Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Losing interest during the woman's exasperatingly long speech, E927 began whistling to himself as he scuffed the rocks lying on the surface of the ground.

He would not even noticed the old woman wrapping up her dismissible monologue, had it not been for the argument picking up between his comrades. An occurrence all too frequent, he genuinely enjoyed these squabbles. Oblvious to any bit of information passed he catches only the last bit of the dragonborn's always humorless, rebuttal. Catching an opening, E927 speaks on the matter.

"Yes, Kobolds, said to be cousins to the mighty Dragonborn, much like yourself Z'ad. However I'm afraid my studies have not entailed much beyond what the average adventurer has passed along."

Honez on
    edited June 2009
    "Dragonborn are NOT cousins to Kobolds! Kobold is a lesser creature; it does not issue from true divine spark. The Kobold is an imitation of dragonkind!"

Z'ad paused for a moment.

"I have told you this before, E. Are you still in disbelief... or is this humor?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited June 2009
    "He's making a joke, Z. Don't chafe your scales."

Nemeia looked at the rest of the group, stretching her legs out. "Are we going to take this job? I don't want to spend the rest of my life killing kobolds, but this might get our name out there for bigger and better ones."

Super Namicchi on
    edited June 2009
    "We are taking job. Gold for killing kobolds or gold for killing... whatever it is you think more worthy... the same. Gold is gold."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Chuckling to himself within his armor, E steps back away from the infuriated dragonborn.

"My appologies, Brother. I did not mean to rattle you." Rolling his shoulders to bring himself out of the slouch he has grown accustom to within his bulky armor, E addresses the old woman.

"And my appologies to you Miss. I wish only to serve in safeguarding your people, the Goddess favors those who take action, and with that I offer my protection. Perhaps you could point us in the direction of this mine, so we do not waste more of your time in petty discussion?"

Honez on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The woman just sat there throughout the entire conversation, smiling as if everyone had been discussing the weather while sipping tea, and the whole affair had been rather pleasant.
    "Yes, yes of course. You can all follow me, the road back to Marelaus is also the road to the mine. It's only about a half a days walk. Oh yes! I almost forgot, here's a map of the area for you."
    regionmap.png

Shinyo on
    edited June 2009
    Raze turned to look out the window, noting the location of the sun before it turned back to the others.
    "If we leave now, we can make it to the mines before dusk."
    Two long steps, and it was at the door of the wayhouse.
    "We can accompany you as far as the crossroads, ma'am. I believe we should deal with this infestation as promptly as possible."

Rainfall on
    edited June 2009
    The journey is calm, and the sweeping landscape of forest to grasses to coast is quite beautiful. The air smells of salt from the ocean to the south, and what Nemeia correctly recognizes as ionized air from a recent storm to the north.
    The plump woman parts with you at the fork in the road, and continues on towards her village. As her road slowly winds downwards to the shore, so does yours wind uphill to the mountain forest. The closer you get, the more tools you notice abandoned on the side of the road. Iron beams, carts, pickaxes, shovels and the like.
    Your party has only to turn the next bend and enter the mine...

Shinyo on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "This is it then; go in there, kill kobolds, and collect the reward."

Teron reaches around his back and draws his crossbow, resting it over one shoulder. His other hand runs lightly down his bandolear, checking that everything is in its place. His hand then touches the orb set into his armor and he quietly mutters some arcane formulae, causing the rune etched there to flash.

"Alright, I'm ready to move."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Raze reaches over one shoulder, drawing the massive blade slung across its back. This was the first time it had drawn the weapon in the presence of the others, and the giant blade, pitted with the dents and scratches of countless battles over the ages, would be an intimidating sight to anyone on the other side.

The construct took a step forwards, crushing the shaft of a pickax underneath its foot. "The miners left in a hurry... and it certainly doesn't look like the kobolds are here to mine. I wonder what happened here."
    Raze eyed the scattered tools, wondering how the kobolds had begun their attack. What were their tactics like? Time enough to find that out when they met.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2009
    Your party ventures forth.

The mouth of the mine is as expected, seemingly deserted at the entrance. Large wooden shafts helping to hold up the walls, which have been carved smooth by the work of men.
    It then occurs to you...
    dungeon1.png

It's rather dark in there.

Shinyo on
    edited June 2009
    Raze looks ahead at the inky blackness for a moment, then carefully removes a sunrod from the small pouch on his belt, tapping it once before it starts to shed a bright light. That done, the construct slowly stepped forwards to the first support pillar, letting the glowing rod illuminate the darkness. "Come. This will last us a few hours."
    If it's important, moving 'up' four squares and cracking a sunrod, obviously.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2009
    dungeon1-2.png

Much better.

Shinyo on
    edited June 2009
    E slides past Raze, speaking in a low friendly whisper as he passes, "Do not be too hasty, Brother. Small kobolds may be, yet we do not know their numbers."

His blue eyes dimly glow in the cavern as he surveys the path before them.
    I'm assuming we have free motion to move around the map.

If so E takes cover behind the second left pillar in front of Raze. (Too see past the corner)

If not, E moves to the pillar directly on Raze's right.

1d20+2=7

Honez on
    edited June 2009
    dungeon1-3.png

Five Kobolds come from the northern tunnel!

Shinyo on
    edited June 2009
    Raze's eyes flared red in the dim light, the sunrod dropping from its hands as it readied for battle. "Battle. It's been too long."

Initiative! (1d20+1=12)

Rainfall on
    edited June 2009
    E shrugs his shoulders standing upright as he turns to the sounds of scampering feet in the darkness. All the while thinking to himself.

Perhaps it's time I had upgraded these eyes of mine.

1d20+2=14

Honez on
    edited June 2009
    Teron had been thinking that he had a couple sunrods stashed away somewhere if they proved necessary when the Kobolds appeared out of the gloom. He dropped the crossbow to a ready position and reached a hand around to grab a bolt from the quiver.

Little lizard men are sneaky, have to remember that.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    E steps forth, taking position beside Raze. Calling on the powers of the divine as his glowing eyes meet those of the enemy before him.

As it turns to focus it's attention on the metal behemoth, the lizard's spear arm is sliced open from the steel of a longsword, hindering it's chances to land an attack.
    Move to square directly on the right of Raze.
    Divine Challenge on Kobold Skirmisher
    Enfeebling Strike attack roll (1d20+6=20) HIT!
    Skirmisher takes Damage Roll (1d8+3=7) Damage, and has -2 penalty to attack rolls until end of my next turn, and is also marked per previous Divine Challenge.

Kobolds up Next...

Honez on
    edited June 2009
    The Kobold recoils and shrieks at E-927, points towards the party with his good arm, then takes a step back while his brethren slip into your ranks.
    Kobold #1 has taken damage and been marked by E-927, he shifts up and to the left (shifting does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

One of the little bastards sees an opening between E-927 and Z'ad and slips through - only to stumble backwards at the sight of a Tiefling glaring him down.
    Kobold #2 moves one square down, then shifts down and to the left, to attack Nemeia. He fails miserably with a 4.

Another follows suit by flanking Z'ad, but his pitiful attack is deflected.
    Kobold #3 moves two squares down and to the left, then shifts one square down. He gains a +1 to his attack roll because there's another Kobold adjacent to Z'ad. He rolls a 13 and misses.

The remaining two charge at E-927, one of them managing to graze one of the chinks in his massive armor.
    Kobolds #4 and #5 both move two squares down. They each get a +2 to their attack rolls, and #5 has flanking with #2 for an additional +2. #4 rolls a 22, which hits and deals 6 damage.
    #5 rolls a 3 which fails miserably.

Teron is up
    dungeon1-4.png

Shinyo on
    edited July 2009
    Teron quickly moved sideways to help Nemia, loading his crossbow as he moved. Stopping to line up his shot and whispering a spell, the loaded bolt began glowing with magical power. The warforged loosed the missile and frowned as the kobold barely dodged. The bolt flew off into the darkness, trailing blue fire.
    Move: shift diagonally down to the left
    Minor: ready crossbow
    Attack: Use Magic Weapon Power on kobold #2. 1d20+5:13 Miss (even with the +1 I forgot is part of the Magic Weapon power)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Raze stood still for a moment, then spun with uncanny speed, the vines underneath its metal plating twisting to keep up. The massive sword bisected the kobold threatening Nemeia, and then the massive Warforged stepped forwards, menacing the kobold E-927 had previously injured.
    Standard: Avalanche Strike v. Kobold 2 (1d20+7=27) That's a crit for 38 damage, Kobold 2 is DEAD. +4 to any attacks against me until the start of next turn.
    Move: Shift one square up.

Rainfall on
    edited July 2009
    They say actions are louder than words, and Z'ad's attack on the Kobold said volumes. He practically dared the Kobold to do something.
    Z'ad attacks Kobold #4 with a Brash Assault for 24, which hits. Damage is 6.

The kobold won't turn down this dare! He counter-attacked, thrusting his weapon with just as much recklessness. But the Kobold didn't realize that Z'ad was no fool. He parried the Kobolds blow, and created an opening for Nemeia.
    Kobold #4 attacks Z'ad for 6. Miss. He is now open to an attack from Nemeia.

Shinyo on
    edited July 2009
    Seeing the opening Z'ad had created for her, Nemeia conjured up a roiling green orb and tossed it at the Kobold. It landed on its face, burning and scalding the lizardman as it screamed in horror.

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2009
    Seeing the little kobold writhing in pain from Nemela's acidic spell, E decides to put the beast out of it's misery.

The swing misses wildly, though E is able to regain his footing as he spins through the attack. Now pointing at the lizard to his left, he channels his divine powers inviting the kobold to retaliate.

"Spare the chance to save your friend, while I am here in your range, little one."
    Bolstering Strike (1d20+6=7) vs. AC: FAIL!

Divine Challenge on Kobold #5

I will be gone for the rest of the evening, wanted to make sure my post went through...not sure if Z'ad was still up for a turn.

Kobold's up?

Honez on
    edited July 2009
    The Kobold responds to E-927's challenge, and strikes out at him, only to have his spear blocked by E's large shield.
    Kobold #5 shifts one square down and to the left. He attacks E-927 for 14 and misses.

The wounded Kobold recovers from Nemeia's spell, and attacks E-927's side while he's not looking, viciously stabbing into his side!
    Kobold #1 gets up as a movement action, and then shifts one square down and to the right as an minor action.
    He attacks E-927 for 27, a natural 20. Damage is 8.

One of the Kobolds flanks Z'ad and quickly cuts a strike to his arm.
    Kobold #3 shifts one square down and to the left and attacks Z'ad for 19 , a hit. He deals 6 damage.

Another one of the Kobolds slips between the same gap his predecessor did and lashes out at Nemeia.
    Kobold #4 shifts one square down and to the left, and attacks Nemeia for 16, damaging for 6

~
    dungeon1-5.png

Kobold 1 - 20/27 HP
    Kobold 2 - DEAD
    Kobold 3 - 27/27 HP
    Kobold 4 - 8/27 HP
    Kobold 5 - 27/27 HP

Shinyo on
    edited July 2009
    Teron placed another bolt in his crossbow and fired, missing his target.

The nearby kobold noticed Teron's distraction and thrust a spear forward. The point struck Teron's lower leg and skittered off the armor, leaving a shallow scratch.
    Move: shift left one square (puts me in line with where the map has me)
    Minor: ready crossbow
    Standard: Magic Weapon power: 1d20+6=11 Miss
    Kobold #3 gets to make an opportunity attack because I used a ranged power in threatened square: 1d20+6=23
    Damage: 1d8=2
    Teron HP: 26/28

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Raze moved, cold, methodical, devastating. The kobolds were splitting the party apart, but they were breaking up as well. The one E-927 had wounded earlier was focused on the paladin, and didn't even notice Raze's blade come crashing down. The monster dropped to its knees from the pain of the strike, and a moment later its head bounced on the ground.
    Fury gripped Raze, and a cold metallic howl echoed through the tunnel as he charged the wounded kobold in the center of the group. His hand twitched as his blade descended, and the kobold managed to catch the blow on his armor.
    Devastating Strike vs. Kobold 1 (1d20+9=27) That's a hit...
    Damage (1d10+4=5, 1d8=7) 13 damage, not enough to drop him, so...
    Action Point!
    Devastating Strike vs. Kobold 1 (1d20+9=22) Another hit!
    Damage for action-point Devastating Strike (1d10+4=13, 1d8=7) That's enough to kill him(damn, I wish I had rolled that first.)
    So, I gain 4 temp HP from Rageblood Vigor, and I use my Swift Charge encounter power to charge Kobold 4, moving diagonal-down-right and down, and I can use Howling Strike on the charge! Booyeah!
    Howling Strike v. Kobold 4 (1d20+8=12) And I miss.
    Damn. I was hoping to take out two in one turn, but nooo. :'(
    Oh, all enemies are at a +4 to hit Raze thanks to his two uses of Devastating Strike. Just in case they're interested.

Rainfall on
    edited July 2009
    As the spear nearly cuts through her fine robes, Nemeia's demeanor goes from friendly to demonic as her white eyes fade to blood red. With a thrust of her palm the Kobold is turned to a pile of hissing green goo. Its spear clatters to the ground.
    Move: Shift down-left one
    rarrr infernal wrath acid orb! (1d20+6=21, 1d10+10=14), Kobold 4 is dead

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2009
    Z'ad stepped over the dead (and melted) kobold as he and Raze began to make the life of the next kobold as short as possible.

"I've got your back, Paladin! Show them whose gods are stronger!"
    Move: Shift into space previously occupied by dead kobold #4

Standard... against Kobold 5
    Brash Assault (1d20 8=26), damage (1d8 4=9)
    kobold squeak (1d20 6=19), damage (1d8 1d6=3)
    raze razin' (1d20 7=26), damage (1d10 4=6)

dammit that could have been more awesome... still bloodied that little bastard for a total of 14 damage though!

Minor: Inspiring Word on E, who can spend a healing surge and gain additional inspiring hit points (1d6=6)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Rejuvenated with the inspiring words of his comrade, E attempts to finish the onslaught on the bleeding lizard.

However the creature easily dodges the slow swing, ducking past E's blade as it crashes into the ground. Calling upon Avandra, E shouts at the Kobold which still seems compelled to focus on the paladin.

"You will not live to tell of this day, lizard."
    Spending healing surge (6)+6 from Inspiring Word, bringing me up to 25 HP.
    Bolstering Strike (1d20+6=8) Miss Kobold #5
    Divine Challenge is still up on Kobold #5.

Put that little bastard down.

Kobolds up.

Honez on
    edited July 2009
    The Kobold knows the jig is up! He runs further into the mine!
    Kobold #5 shifts one square to the left to avoid an OA, and moves six squares in the general direction of left.
    Another Kobold seemingly forgotten by everyone attempts to be sneaky, and attacks Raze
    Kobold #3 shifts up and to the right, and attacks Raze for 23, damage is 2.

~
    dungeon1-6.png

Shinyo on
    edited July 2009
    Teron sees one kobold trying to escape. He steps out of Nemeia's way and takes aim, his first bolt sails wide.

The construct narrows his eyes and quickly reaches for a second bolt. He looses the missile and his eyes flash a bright blue as the the bolt thunks solidly into the creature's back.
    Move: Move up 1 square, left 1 square
    Standard: Magic Weapon: 1d20+6=9 Miss
    Spending an Action Point. Magic Weapon: 1d20+6=18 Hit
    Damage: 1d8+3=6

Nemeia and Z'ad both get a +1 attack bonus and +3 damage bonus till end of my next turn.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Raze's blade swung again in a mighty overhand blow, the organic material beneath its metal shell pulsing with strength. The sheer impact of the force staggered the kobold, blood trickling down from the massive wound the pitiless warforged just delivered.
    Devastating Strike v. Kobold 3 (1d20+7=26) ffff so close.
    Devastating Strike damage (1d10+4=13, 1d8=8)
    Kobold 3 - HP 6/27
    And as always, everything is at a +2 to attack me until the end of next turn.

Rainfall on