As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs] The joy of picking up poop in small plastic bags

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Does she do the head tilt?

Of course she does the head tilt!

Also she's incredibly smart. She'll use her paws as little manipulators to help her get a grip on things, also she knows how to open doors but is too small and lacks hands so she can't actually do it. I know she knows because when she wants to come inside she'll jump up at an angle, reaching for the handle.

She'll often "debate" with us when we want her to do something. She'll bark at us as we tell her to do something. She never really barks any other times.

My chihuahua can open his kennel from the inside. It was cute the first time because when I opened the door to his room he's just standing there all proud like "Hey dad! Hey dad! Look what I can do!"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Gus enjoys the shampooing and drying off portions of bath time, he's not so much a fan of getting sprayed with the hose.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hana's a really small dog.

She was the smallest of her litter, and she hasn't grown that much. (Well, OK she's grown a lot but she's still tiny for a beagle.)

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love dogs.:)

Here's our little girl, she a Boston Bull.
    We named her Chloe.

CHLOE_for_woof_3.jpg

CHLOE_for_woof_2.jpg

Chloe_for_woof_hulk_2.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always wanted a bull terrier. They are like pug-terriers. Hows the temprement?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Boston Terriers (Boston Bull is the more accurate term since they look more English Bulldog than Terrier) are GREAT dogs. They snore, grunt, are gassy, run like jack rabbits, and are serious fun.
    They are small dogs, but awesome.

Here's a perfect video on them for ya...(click it, because embedding has been disabled evidently)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3dWns5n21s

Scotty on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We loved our Boston so much. Only problem with them (which we didn't get, thank god) is that they are phenomenally prone to allergies and make the most awful wheezing noises when they get them.

Edit: I'd also read repeatedly that there was a lot of French Bulldog in the Boston breed, which explained why they're such ferocious ratters.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Yeah, I celebrate Gus' birthday...when i remember. Which I usually do.

can I post a picture of Gus that I saved? it's one of the ones near water. if you have it and want to, post it, but I like it and the people deserve to see.

i didn't see this before, but sure, knock yourself out.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's been a power struggle since we brought Ripley home, between her and our two cats. It started with them not leaving the basement for three days after Ripley came home. Gradually they decided to investigate, but her having never seen a cat before meant she would immediately run at them, they'd freak and retreat to the basement. It took about two weeks before they realized they could swat her, and she'd run away. It took about another week for her to realize she was faster than the cats were, and could annoy them while avoiding the swat. One of the cats has formed a sort of detente with Ripley, they tolerate each others presence. The other still wants nothing to do with Ripley, and will hiss then leave any room Ripley enters.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We filed an application to adopt a second dog. *crosses fingers*

http://www.treetopsrescue.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=1343061

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There was actually a guy who would run the Iditarod with a team of poodles for awhile, until they forbid it.

http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/the_poodle_and_dog_blog/2008/02/poodles-in-the.html

"Alaska, where women win the Iditarod and men mush Poodles.”

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Such a cute little puppy face! ...and not that far away... PM me if you want to set up some play dates to socialize him :mrgreen:

Just in case anybody is curious that is a BC in the front left spot of the otherwise cocker dog scooter team.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So my wonderful pit graced me with quite a gift yesterday. The night before I let him get crazy on a rawhide bone from pet-smart. For whatever reason the bones from there give him bad diarrhea, but it's not usually a huge problem other than trying to pick it up. (And no I don't buy rawhide from them anymore). Anyway on his morning walk he didn't pop a squat for whatever reason and I came home to find what looked like his weight in diarrhea spewed all over his pen inside my kitchen. The smell was almost physical, it was single handily one of the worst smells I have ever smelled in my life. I wasn't even mad, in fact I felt bad for him that the poor bastard had to sit in there all day with that god awful smell staring him down.

By the time I got home, the smell had percolated throughout the entire studio apt. It was herculean to get the smell out of the place. Damn dog.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh god damnit i love it when jack russels do the 'what was that' head tilt

I would try and think up strange noises to get them to do that.

Protip: get a cd of bird calls and play that through your sound system, confuses the crap out of them. My grandmother is an avid bird watcher and when we were trying to find out what breed of bird was hanging around our play (cannot remember why we wanted to know) we borrowed a cd full of their bird calls to help identify it. Queue hours of Tim sitting in front of the speakers tilting his head this way and that trying to work out where the bloody birds were hiding in his house.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kistra wrote: »

Such a cute little puppy face! ...and not that far away... PM me if you want to set up some play dates to socialize him :mrgreen:

Just in case anybody is curious that is a BC in the front left spot of the otherwise cocker dog scooter team.

Its a bit far for us, (and them, being a little over an hour away,) but we saw the picture and the description and we thought he'd be a good companion for Midnite.
    PIC-0005.jpg

By chance, are you guys closer to Philly?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Its a bit far for us, (and them, being a little over an hour away,) but we saw the picture and the description and we thought he'd be a good companion for Midnite.
    PIC-0005.jpg

By chance, are you guys closer to Philly?

Er, yeah we are. I didn't look at your location, just mapquested the shelter. :oops:

Kistra on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    whippets!

totally want one

boing!

AshleyWhippet003.jpg

dawwwwwww

cute_small.jpg

Medopine on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's an awesome pic. The dog on the right ( a pug? It looks like a pug ) is leaning in for some smoochin', but the dog on the left wants none of it.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know Corgi's have leg issues but when I was researching Basset hounds I found a lot of it has to do with leg stress.You need keep them off couches and help them down and up stairs.
    Doggie ramps are wonderful for anyone with shorties. Not steps... actual rubberized ramps... they take to the ramps better. Saves the legs on bassets, pugs, bulldogs, corgis, or any dog that wants to be up in people's laps or in the bed but has a high body-mass to leg ratio and tends to bail out when you move around. I bought one for my parents' pug once he started having hip problems and I wish I'd have done it years ago. Now he's passed, but their English Bulldog loves the ramp.

--

I've written about my bullmastiff (Rodger) before... 4 years old. He loves my girlfriend more than me and is generally a traitor. He has a litter-brother named Dodger who lives with a guy I served who lives in Austin, and we visit him occasionally. Strangely, sometimes Dodger gets in my car when I get ready to go home while Rodger tries to hide out and stay behind. I don't get it. Maybe they think we're assholes and wanna see if the grass is greener or wonder we would fall for the parent trap routine. They have different markings, though, and Dodger always acts so damn exited, so it never works. I always tell them that if they can't fool a couple of concussed jarheads that they ain't got no chance with anyone else, and they sigh.

Rodger can't guard worth a shit. He looks scary because he's so massive, but he'd let anyone take anything they wanted as long as it wasn't one of his toys. Hell, if they take my computer, he'll probably egg them on and tell them where I hide the good stuff. He also hates me when I wash his toys, because then it's more work for his lazy ass to do to make them disgusting again.

He's a chick-magnet though. He likes big-boobs and will motorboat strangers if they try to bend over too close. I apologize, but they don't mind and figure it's just coincidence. They don't see him looking back at me and winking after he does it. He's also a pervert who is always watching my girlfriend when she's naked and I have to chase him out of the room when we wanna do the deed because he'll try to get into bed. Weirdo.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    whippets!

totally want one
    Why not get a real dog? One that doesn't look like the emaciated lovechild of a rat and a howler monkey.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    I know Corgi's have leg issues but when I was researching Basset hounds I found a lot of it has to do with leg stress.You need keep them off couches and help them down and up stairs.
    Doggie ramps are wonderful for anyone with shorties. Not steps... actual rubberized ramps... they take to the ramps better. Saves the legs on bassets, pugs, bulldogs, corgis, or any dog that wants to be up in people's laps or in the bed but has a high body-mass to leg ratio and tends to bail out when you move around. I bought one for my parents' pug once he started having hip problems and I wish I'd have done it years ago. Now he's passed, but their English Bulldog loves the ramp.

--

I've written about my bullmastiff (Rodger) before... 4 years old. He loves my girlfriend more than me and is generally a traitor. He has a litter-brother named Dodger who lives with a guy I served who lives in Austin, and we visit him occasionally. Strangely, sometimes Dodger gets in my car when I get ready to go home while Rodger tries to hide out and stay behind. I don't get it. Maybe they think we're assholes and wanna see if the grass is greener or wonder we would fall for the parent trap routine. They have different markings, though, and Dodger always acts so damn exited, so it never works. I always tell them that if they can't fool a couple of concussed jarheads that they ain't got no chance with anyone else, and they sigh.

Rodger can't guard worth a shit. He looks scary because he's so massive, but he'd let anyone take anything they wanted as long as it wasn't one of his toys. Hell, if they take my computer, he'll probably egg them on and tell them where I hide the good stuff. He also hates me when I wash his toys, because then it's more work for his lazy ass to do to make them disgusting again.

He's a chick-magnet though. He likes big-boobs and will motorboat strangers if they try to bend over too close. I apologize, but they don't mind and figure it's just coincidence. They don't see him looking back at me and winking after he does it. He's also a pervert who is always watching my girlfriend when she's naked and I have to chase him out of the room when we wanna do the deed because he'll try to get into bed. Weirdo.

Ah ha ha, now that sounds like an awesome dog. Mine is a chick magnet, but he's got these huge talons for toe nails and loves to jump on people, so he usually ends up scarring some poor girl when he scares the piss out of her. So he doesn't get to greet much anymore.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    whippets!

totally want one
    Why not get a real dog? One that doesn't look like the emaciated lovechild of a rat and a howler monkey.

Or you just need to broaden your horizons a little bit and recognize that the term "dog" encompasses animals other than lab/shepherd mixes between 40 and 140 lbs.

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    whippets!

totally want one

Or you just need to broaden your horizons a little bit and recognize that the term "dog" encompasses animals other than lab/shepherd mixes between 40 and 140 lbs.
    My dog falls squarely outside those boundaries; 35 lb Saluki. And you know this.

There's just a certain threshold of weird that some dogs cross. Like Afghans. Those things are horrifying.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Our dog is pretty full of personality. He comes and sits on us during thunderstorms, he acts like his head asplode if he doesn't get his walk, he cleans out peanut butter jars, he is the sworn enemy of all squirrels.

We got him from my wife's brother. They answered an ad in the paper for free beagle puppies because their daughter really really wanted a puppy. The daughter really wanted to be a veterinarian. As it turns out, he is a German Shepherd crossed with a Collie. About 70 pounds of longhaired fury. So really not a beagle at all.

They were not ready for a dog, much less a big dog, so he spent about 23 hours a day in the crate. When they let him out he'd run wild in the living room and pounce on people and generally try to burn off energy so they'd beat him with a newspaper and stick him back in the crate. The daughter started to say things like " I hate this dog" and "I wish we could get a pug" and so forth. After a year they called and said "You seem to like the dog, you can have him if you want, if not we're dropping him off at a farm."

So we took him, and tried to train him, and walked him four times a day to wear him out and trained him some more. He got us kicked out of dog training class (scene suitable for family comedies) but by the end of the ten week class he was Most Improved. Now he's a good house dog. He never chews anything that's not his to chew, he can hold it for a long time if we get stuck somewhere and can't get home, he doesn't beg for food (too much). When it's bath time he tries to make a break for it but once he's wet he gets this resigned and patient body language because he know a Frosty Paw is coming after the towels. He's pretty barky because he's not learned to control his emotions and still full of energy; people always think he's a young dog but he's eight years old now.

My wife's brother got a pug a couple of years ago and it spends about 23 hours a day in the crate. When they let him out he runs wild, jumping up on people and trying to burn off energy so they beat him with a newspaper and stick him back in the crate. Their daughter says things like "I hate this dog" and "I wish we could get a Pomeranian" and so forth. The daughter really wants to be a veterinarian, but I'm hoping that she goes to college and picks a different career.

Backstop on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    our (deceased) jack russell, Hannah.

IMG_4442.jpg

A wishbone look alike

and yeah some dogs aren't really dogs. The bichon doesn't chase deer, she watches them. She has this ridiculous little bark and has the instincts of a sheep. My dad calls her the undifferentiated mammal instead of a dog.

Photo137.jpg

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's just a certain threshold of weird that some dogs cross. Like Afghans. Those things are horrifying.
    Afghans are awesome dogs. Gorgeous, too, if properly groomed. I had one growing up who could snatch birds out of the air.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Our current dog, Chibi is a treasure, i wish i could post a pic of her because she is a rather strange lookin critter.

Imagine if you will... A chihuahua head on a beagle sized body with the markings of a beagle a jack russel, and a blue tick heeler. The mother was this shaky ugly annoying chihuahua thing that belonged to a friend of ours, when she got loose one day and came back pregnant my wife demanded we take one of the puppies. I have no idea what got ahold of that ugly yappy dog but the puppies were adorable. She's smart as fuck too has definitely learned pertinent words such as food, hungry, outside, crate, bath, and boobs... although i suspect that one just sounds enough like food for her to get excited. Since i've noticed the reaction to the word boobs I've started annoying my wife by asking the dog if she wants some boobs when it's time to feed her.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Backstop wrote: »
    My wife's brother got a pug a couple of years ago and it spends about 23 hours a day in the crate. When they let him out he runs wild, jumping up on people and trying to burn off energy so they beat him with a newspaper and stick him back in the crate. Their daughter says things like "I hate this dog" and "I wish we could get a Pomeranian" and so forth. The daughter really wants to be a veterinarian, but I'm hoping that she goes to college and picks a different career.
    If you don't want to treat a dog right, don't get one. There are plenty of options to find a better home for that pug.

Pugs are one of the sweetest breeds out there and I'd rescue them all if I had the ability to take on another dog.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Afghans are awesome dogs. Gorgeous, too, if properly groomed. I had one growing up who could snatch birds out of the air.
    Spoilered for holy crap those things are horrifying;
    afghan-hound-0007.jpg

afghan1.jpg

Afganportrettpatrick.jpg

Eric%20Sydney%20Royal%202007%20moving%20.jpg

They're nightmarish. Literally, the stuff of nightmares.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha that first one is awesome. Mine was blond. Looked more like this, but even in all your pics (well the first 3, fourth is borked for me) I think they look great.

120px-Afghan_Hound_blond_portrait.jpg

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had one of these!

siberian-husky-fb.jpg

Then someone stole him.D:

But he had puppies!

Who someone poisoned:x

Now we have a german shephard/mallamute mix

AND ONE OF THESE!

1722157-3-miko-white-wolf.jpg

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want to play!

n563210365_2226133_1466.jpg

Jokerman on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a "wtf-breed-is-that?" mixed with a bit of "i-don't-f'in-know"

Seriously, how would I tell? The nearest mix I can posit is German Shepard/Siberian Husky mix. Short haired, tan coloring, black stripe down back (with spots!).

We named her Mishka, she has the best pointer/curious looks ever. Also - long dog is looooooooooong
    Mishka168.jpg

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I have a "wtf-breed-is-that?" mixed with a bit of "i-don't-f'in-know"

Seriously, how would I tell? The nearest mix I can posit is German Shepard/Siberian Husky mix. Short haired, tan coloring, black stripe down back (with spots!).

We named her Mishka, she has the best pointer/curious looks ever. Also - long dog is looooooooooong
    Mishka168.jpg
    I can't account for the black spots specifically, but the rest of the description combined with that expression in the photo sounds exactly like my dog.

We did a blood test, and she's 80%~ Saluki, with 20% indeterminate. Whatever else she's got (and yours looks this way too) served to fill her out a bit.

For the longest time we couldn't figure out what she was. Even people who did dog shows and such couldn't give us a good answer. She was just kind of a non-descript if nice-looking brown dog. Turns out, saluki is kind of the proto-dog, which makes it hard to place if you're not really looking for it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    How much was the blood test? How accurate can they be?

The other thing is the blue eyes - she's not deaf, so it's not that genetic mutation, I'm calling it a breed marker. Just not sure - that's why I thought Siberian Husky

*edit* the link has some pictures of masking and general facial structure, which seems really close to Mishka's. Coloring is brown and white, but that could be the other dog.

When we first got her, the ASPCA said the coloring mixes could be partly Blue Heeler.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

But he had puppies!

I can't fathom the kind of sick fuck that would do something like this. Who fucking poisons something as awesome and lovable as a dog, let alone somebody else's dog.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    How much was the blood test? How accurate can they be?

The other thing is the blue eyes - she's not deaf, so it's not that genetic mutation, I'm calling it a breed marker. Just not sure - that's why I thought Siberian Husky

*edit* the link has some pictures of masking and general facial structure, which seems really close to Mishka's. Coloring is brown and white, but that could be the other dog.

When we first got her, the ASPCA said the coloring mixes could be partly Blue Heeler.
    I'm not sure how expensive they were. My wife was getting her cocker tested as part of his agility stuff, so we just tacked Sasha's on. I think the ones we looked at were $50-$80 bucks.

Husky could explain the eyes. GIS saluki for more pictures if you want. They come in lots of colors, though I don't know if I've ever seen spots on one.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

But he had puppies!

I can't fathom the kind of sick fuck that would do something like this. Who fucking poisons something as awesome and lovable as a dog, let alone somebody else's dog.

Problem the same asshole that stole the daddy dog, he was a great guard dog. Then we come home one day and he's gone.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After reading the wiki on Saluki's, it does account for the way she behaves off leash. There are rabbits in our apartment complexes that she can see over distances of 50+ yards. In the dog park, the rabbits run around at night and sometimes we'll sneak up on them. I snap the leash off around 20 ft from the gate and what commences is like that coursing scene from Snatch. If I were to try and head off a rabbit, she changes course (usually the right way) to intercept it.

If you look at that last picture in the article, of the Gazelle Hound, she poses just like that when she's in the dog park.

1ddqd on