As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo's Advent Platformer Calander

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    But Easter was a co-oped fertility festival
    I've run across an argument that nop, there was no pagan festival at the time.
    Sadly, t'was in a book, and a year ago.

Er. Ok. Well, off-topic, but I'll bite.

There are arguments that Easter isn't pagan because they argue the entomology of the word 'easter' comes from the Germanic auferstehen/auferstehung for 'resurrection.' Which whilst interesting is not conclusive - there are many alternative entomolgies, many of which are pagan - or of other faiths. Regardless this of no relevance to the discussion.

The point is that the spring Vernal Equinox (a pagan celebration) is a festival celebrated in many forms by many cultures. All cultures traditionally have celebrated the onset of spring as it means the break of winter, the start of the agricultural season, and birth and fertility. It is likely these celebrations began just a primative humans began wandering around africa - let alone establishing "proper" religions.

In most cultures it was typically a festival honouring women and featured lots of yonic imagery (yonic is the female equivalent of phallic - and one of my favourite words). Easter, being Christianity's adaption of the Spring festival was used to both supplant the pagan beliefs whilst spreading through Europe, and to reduce the role of women in the process - as rather than celebrating vaginal birth - it became a celebration of rebirth without the need of vaginas.

tl;dr Easter comes from a celebration that is an inherent part of human culture since we most likely wandered about in caves. No amount of saying "no but it's different to the other ones 'cos..." changes that.

EDIT: Damn that's hige. Sorry to rant like that. I try to keep that to skeptobot only.
    However, surely the traditional pagan vernal equinox is in fact still celebrated as a separate day, as May Day, Beltane, or whichsoever name you attach to it?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited December 2006
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:

Blah blah blah

EDIT: Damn that's hige. Sorry to rant like that. I try to keep that to skeptobot only.
    However, surely the traditional pagan vernal equinox is in fact still celebrated as a separate day, as May Day, Beltane, or whichsoever name you attach to it?

So? These are other forms of the same ancient celebration and in no way stop Easter from being one of them.

The fact that all these other forms of Easter exist makes my point stronger - not weaker.

EDIT: to make it clearer - I'm not saying that there was a first pagan festival that everyone else stole. I'm saying that easter is something humanity has always celebrated and that the temporary religions that are currently in vogue always twist it to their own uses.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So about the flash game .... I hear its neat.

solsovly on
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Chubby better be a trophy in Smash Brothers.

eryu90 on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited December 2006
    Not just a trophy, a yearly Yuletide hero.

Mario, Sonic, Pac-man, Chubby.

The Big 4 baby.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is pretty damn fun.

Spiders freak me out in the forest levels and the sliding ice hills and pits can eat dick in the starting levels though.

JJ on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I did all but today's so far. Right now my only gripe is that there are way too many bottomless pits/water. As short as the levels are, it's a pain in the ass to ever so slightly miss the platform and have to start collecting Snowflakes all over again.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    As a perfectionist I haven't even bothered to see what happens if you reach the end without all the snowflakes.

Can you just not open the chest or something?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Taramoor wrote:
    As a perfectionist I haven't even bothered to see what happens if you reach the end without all the snowflakes.

You still win, I just think maybe is doesn't have all the bonus shit in the lab.

:?:

JJ on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

You still win, I just think maybe is doesn't have all the bonus shit in the lab.

Didn't you read the destructions? You get nothing for having all the snowflakes until the last day.

This must be a Nintendo Europe thing since it's called Another Code and not Trace Memories.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Taramoor wrote:

The chest will open regardless of how many snowflakes you get, and you will get the "game file" for that level. However, if you get all the snowflakes from all the levels (once all the levels are open) you can get a special download of some sort. Like someone said, Nintendo makes you work for your presents. :)

I kind of want to make maps for these levels to figure out where all the snowflakes are. Also, has anyone gotten any of the extra heart containers? I did see one in one of the forest levels, but I can't remember exactly which one...

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The last of each set of stages has one. I got them both. One question: does this game save any of the progress you have? I've gotten 100% of the twelve days so far, both extra containers included, and I'm now afraid to close the browser. I don't think I'm going to do that craziness again either. :P

Estoc on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It saved for me.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Estoc wrote:
    The last of each set of stages has one. I got them both. One question: does this game save any of the progress you have? I've gotten 100% of the twelve days so far, both extra containers included, and I'm now afraid to close the browser. I don't think I'm going to do that craziness again either. :P
    DOn't delete your cookies. It keeps track that way.

JJ on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Didn't you read the destructions? You get nothing for having all the snowflakes until the last day.

This must be a Nintendo Europe thing since it's called Another Code and not Trace Memories.

That and clicking on the Nintendo logo takes you to the Euro website.

But seriously Lave, where did you hear about this? It's not on the nintendo website at all.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

What?

JJ on
  • Options
    The Big ShingThe Big Shing Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:

Blah blah blah

So? These are other forms of the same ancient celebration and in no way stop Easter from being one of them.

The fact that all these other forms of Easter exist makes my point stronger - not weaker.

EDIT: to make it clearer - I'm not saying that there was a first pagan festival that everyone else stole. I'm saying that easter is something humanity has always celebrated and that the temporary religions that are currently in vogue always twist it to their own uses.

wtf, stop.

just because there were celebrations at the same time with maybe the same name do not make them the same celebrations. geez. To a practicing, faithful Catholic Christmas and Easter are celebrations of the birth of christ (not his actual birthday, duh), and the celebration of the resurrection of Christ - respectively.

If you arn't Catholic (christian), then guess what, these days dont mean anything to you. This is not some sort of new news. Jo McNonchristian can have a party where he hunts cats and feasts on their eyeballs and call it Easter. This means nothing to the christian who celebrates the Easter where he goes to church and celebrates Jesus's resurrection, or the pagan who goes outside to worship the gods of agriculture and fertility on a day who's name may have come from some word that means Easter. JoMcnonchristian's practices whether they came before or after pagan or christian do not change or effect either.

The title of the event means much less to what purpose of the thing is. God, guys, I feel like I'm trying to tell my mom that Magic Cards arnt bad just cuz they have the word Magic in the title.

Can we please save this stuff for DnD?

The Big Shing on
    Yeoldemapmaker.com = my sweet flash site where you can design and print DnD maps for free directly from browser.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

What?

It's what all the cool kids call them. Are you saying you aren't cool?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm not Christian or anything, but Easter means that I get to get sick on cadburry cream eggs while Christmas means I get to spend tons of money and get lots of shit while getting sick on eggnog. I believe these are the true meanings of these days. TO have fun because any other day life sucks balls.

Holidays are kickass.

JJ on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It saved for me.
    JJ wrote:
    DOn't delete your cookies. It keeps track that way.
    Excellent, since this game can be a little rough sometimes.

Oh. I meant to say the last stage of each set of levels has the extra heart container. I think that's every 6th stage.

PS. Easter...3 days after the Jewish Passover... that's where it came from. Though I'm not sure what's being argued in the first place.

Estoc on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    I'm not Christian or anything, but Easter means that I get to get sick on cadburry cream eggs while Christmas means I get to spend tons of money and get lots of shit while getting sick on eggnog. I believe these are the true meanings of these days. TO have fun because any other day life sucks balls.

Holidays are kickass.

I believe the best quote I've ever read on the subject was "Christ is so cool. He's born, I get presents. He dies, I get candy."

redhalo on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do you know what would be a bloody brilliant gift at the end of this? A code worth 400 Wii points. Now, you can't use 400 Wii points. You have to buy at least 1000 at a time, so basically everyone would get 400 and so they could use the ones they have, they'd have to buy more.

The cheapest thing costs 500.

Nintendo would make a killing and we'd get some points.

Samphis on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Samphis wrote:
    Do you know what would be a bloody brilliant gift at the end of this? A code worth 400 Wii points. Now, you can't use 400 Wii points. You have to buy at least 1000 at a time, so basically everyone would get 400 and so they could use the ones they have, they'd have to buy more.

The cheapest thing costs 500.

Nintendo would make a killing and we'd get some points.
    !!!

Email this suggestion to Nintendo posthaste!

Agem on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game reminds me of why I hate ice worlds in my 2d platformers.

And yet... I can't stop playing.

It's that music I tells ya.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

The forest world makes up for it. Climbing on spiderwebs, jumping into tree trunks.

I swear, this game is better than a lot of GBA games that people actually pay to play.

On an unrelated note, those big spiders can fuck right off. Seriously, why can I crouch if it doesn't do any good against enemies that attack me from above?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game needs a time attack mode so hard.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jclast wrote:

The forest world makes up for it. Climbing on spiderwebs, jumping into tree trunks.
    I know.

I just played the first forest stage and...

Well, maybe it's because it's nearly midnight and I'm tired and my brain is acting all wonky, but...

I swear, I haven't felt this sense of child-like beauty since Kirby on the NES.

So yeah, much love for this particular advertisement.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited December 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Lave wrote:

Blah blah blah

wtf, stop.

just because there were celebrations at the same time with maybe the same name do not make them the same celebrations. geez. To a practicing, faithful Catholic Christmas and Easter are celebrations of the birth of christ (not his actual birthday, duh), and the celebration of the resurrection of Christ - respectively.

If you arn't Catholic (christian), then guess what, these days dont mean anything to you. This is not some sort of new news. Jo McNonchristian can have a party where he hunts cats and feasts on their eyeballs and call it Easter. This means nothing to the christian who celebrates the Easter where he goes to church and celebrates Jesus's resurrection, or the pagan who goes outside to worship the gods of agriculture and fertility on a day who's name may have come from some word that means Easter. JoMcnonchristian's practices whether they came before or after pagan or christian do not change or effect either.

The title of the event means much less to what purpose of the thing is. God, guys, I feel like I'm trying to tell my mom that Magic Cards arnt bad just cuz they have the word Magic in the title.

Can we please save this stuff for DnD?

Hmm, hostile. Basically I'm saying that Easter evolved from previous
    pagan, festivals when Christianity spread through Europe. Christians saw the pagan spring and winter festivals and turned them into Christian ones as they replaced the culture. Of course they are not the same thing. And are now celebrating quite different things. But their roots are the same.

To an atheist looking in it's quite apparent how some festivals stay put in a culture as the religions come and go. Which is useful to know as an atheist I often get the "why are you celebrating Xmas" question.

But yeah - lets take it to DnD or PMs.

Mwa X x x

EDIT: I got the link for this off the stink hole that is kotaku. It's from Nintendo of Europe - maybe they are trying to suck less.

I assume there are links on the eu site.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lave wrote:
    EDIT: I got the link for this off the stink hole that is kotaku. It's from Nintendo of Europe - maybe they are trying to suck less.

I assume there are links on the eu site.
    It is on the front page of the Dutch Nintendo site at least.

Also, since I'm registered on that site, I got an e-mail a while ago promoting this game. I didn't give it much thought back then.

How very wrong I was.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited December 2006
    jclast wrote:

I know.

I just played the first forest stage and...

Well, maybe it's because it's nearly midnight and I'm tired and my brain is acting all wonky, but...

I swear, I haven't felt this sense of child-like beauty since Kirby on the NES.

So yeah, much love for this particular advertisement.

This game is so unforgiving. It's really hard - and I'm loving it. But I've just realised. I go home to my parents on the 20th. I won't see the end! I hope they keep it up for a bit.

But seriously this game is really special.

I feel like making an image with a screenshot of this and the alliwantforxmasisapsp site as a guide for how to advertise.

Sony makes an advert that insults my intelligence, whilst Nintendo make one of the hardest games I have played all year in order to see their ads.

And it's hard without being cheap. it's just an old school pixel perfect platformer.

I want it as a free VC download! It would be natural. Or as said earlier. It to be playable through the Wii browser.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holy poop on a stick this is awesome.

One question. How do you open the wallpapers and mp3s in the lab.
    I click my screen resolution and nothing happens. :cry:
    Edit:Nm. Firefox's kept on adblocking the popups.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are we absolutely positive it uses cookies to save your file? I don't see any "cookie" related activity, or relevant cookies saved for this website.

I'm about to clear them to find out, but does anyone have an idea how they might save your info?

EDIT: Cookies cleared, save still there. Curious!

EDIT 2: Okay, I honestly think it saves based on your IP address or something. Because I opened it in Internet Explorer and my save is still there. Let me go try it on another computer.

EDIT 3: Didn't work on another computer. So where's it saving this stuff?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are we absolutely positive it uses cookies to save your file? I don't see any "cookie" related activity, or relevant cookies saved for this website.

I'm about to clear them to find out, but does anyone have an idea how they might save your info?

EDIT 2: Okay, I honestly think it saves based on your IP address or something. Because I opened it in Internet Explorer and my save is still there. Let me go try it on another computer.

One of the temporary folders on your computer?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow, the whale in the first level almost made me jump, lol. This game is pretty tough.

Also, level 2 huge-ass penguin :)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Htown wrote:

One of the temporary folders on your computer?
    But how do I find out which one?! :cry::cry::cry:

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    For some reason playing this game makes me want to buy a DS...

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't finish a level with 24 snowflakes due to getting hit or falling in water, but this game is quality. Great find.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Twilight Princess media GET.

It would be awesome if I could win the entire ost. :x
    Dammit Nintendo release a full soundtrack already.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yes, for reference level 7 = Twilight Princess level.

1280x1024 max wallpaper res makes me sad :(

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Mac flash always seems to get some very mild slowdown on things like this and 20X6 :(

mcc on