As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad (yet Entertaining) Movies You Love

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm I think there is something wrong here. Star Trek 4? Starship Troopers? Pitch Black? These are actually good movies. Mars Attacks is debateble since it knew what it was doing from the get go.

I'm in the mindset of actual bad movies that people like. Like something you would find on Sci Fi channel or late night comedy central.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because it must be posted.

Also, Barry Gordy's Last Dragon. A black inner city youth who idolizes Bruce Lee and is a martial artist? A group of chinese immigrants speaking like they just got out of a terrible rap concert? A showdown with the Shogun of Harlem?

Yes please.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starship Troopers is actually bad, no matter how much we want it to be a good movie...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I love love love Real Genius. Really fun geeky comedy from 1985, with Val Kilmer as an asshole supergenius physics student, William Atherton as his stuck-up dean, and a plan to create a super powerful laser.

Oh, and...
    jordan.gif

Upon whom I had a massive crush.

That actress played the "fat girl" from Revenge of the Nerds a year prior.

But yes I was madly in love with Jordan too when I was in my early teens.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fv703.jpg

Scrooge businessman Hogan gets a bump on the head and wakes up believing he is Santa and attempts to rescue an orphanage from a mad scientist. It is absolutely terrible, making it brilliant fun to watch with some friends while you search for all the absurdities.

Features? A huge orphanage that only contains 2 staff members and 3 children. Hogan falling onto concrete and being fine, later he falls a similar distance into soft materials like cardboard boxes and is knocked out cold. A mock lightsabre battle using magical crystals that turn out to explode. The orphanage he is trying to save being blown up by said crystals after he has 'saved' it. The orphanage then appears briefly, fully intact, in a shot later in the movie.

I highly recommend it, if you can find it.

Oh, and the tag line? 'He arrived in the St. Nick of time.'

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love love love Real Genius. Really fun geeky comedy from 1985, with Val Kilmer as an asshole supergenius physics student, William Atherton as his stuck-up dean, and a plan to create a super powerful laser.

Oh, and...
    jordan.gif

Mitch: You know, um, something strange happened to me this morning...
    Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
    Mitch: No...
    Chris Knight: Why am I the only one who has that dream?

Also, Oscar and Noises Off are great if you like farces.

Sliver on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Oh, and...
    jordan.gif

That actress played the "fat girl" from Revenge of the Nerds a year prior.

But yes I was madly in love with Jordan too when I was in my early teens.

I was also totally in love with her as a kid. And kind of now...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sliver on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    reefh.jpg

VOODOO JUNGLE DRUMS

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think we need to change this thread to "Guilty Pleasure Movies You Love", because some of the ones being listed are far from 'bad'.

That said, I think Shoot em' Up is great.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mine have already been mentioned, but I love Demolition Man and Starship Troopers. They both try so hard to live up to their genre and fail spectacularly, but I can't turn either off if it is on TV.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Judge Dredd

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Demolition Man and Judge Dredd quite a bit as well. Stallone actually seems like a bit of a geek ( he was pissed about the crap that went down with Judge Dredd, for example). I hope he does another Sci Fi film before retiring.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My friend just nominated Six String Samurai. I feel like I should punch him in the face, but he's the only other person I know who's seen it.

Tam on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know about anybody else but I enjoyed ...
    Water World

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Water World

Never saw it. But I enjoyed The Postman.

Feral on

• Options
    bathingapebathingape Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Transformers 2: Electric Jiggaboo

bathingape on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will watch just about anything with Jason Statham in it. And I am not ashamed. (Though Revolver was......different, and I've yet to see In the Name of the King.)

Crank and Crank 2 were, as far as I'm concerned, damned masterpieces of cinema. I applauded at Death Race. And I haven't even mentioned Snatch, Lock, Stock, or the Bank Job.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Trouble in Little China. It was a cinematic masterpiece. I will cut the first person who says different. My only disappointment is that they never did any more Jack Burton movies.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    chasm wrote: »
    Big Trouble in Little China. It was a cinematic masterpiece. I will cut the first person who says different. My only disappointment is that they never did any more Jack Burton movies.
    I had a long-running Shadowrunner based on Jack Burton.

Great movie.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My best friend pointed out to me last week that I quote at least one line from it on a daily basis. He said he couldn't tell if it was saddening or awesome.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bathingape wrote: »

NO-NO WORD!

And I'll add Cube to this thread. Six average people are trapped inside a killer obstacle course - a decade before Saw came out. The movie takes a nosedive in quality by the second half but the idea of people turning on each other in a sci fi setting is a good idea. Two more Cube movies were made that were awful but the original is tolerable and had more believable traps.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    bathingape wrote: »

NO-NO WORD!

And I'll add Cube to this thread. Six average people are trapped inside a killer obstacle course - a decade before Saw came out. The movie takes a nosedive in quality by the second half but the idea of people turning on each other in a sci fi setting is a good idea. Two more Cube movies were made that were awful but the original is tolerable and had more believable traps.
    I loved Cube. Cube Two was horrible through and through, but I kind of enjoyed Cube Zero.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Was the Ducktales movie good or bad? I don't really remember anything except that it had a genie with Abe Vigoda eyebrows.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Was the Ducktales movie good or bad? I don't really remember anything except that it had a genie with Abe Vigoda eyebrows.

Is this like a trick question or something? Ducktales has, is and always will be great.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Ducktales movie was pretty great.

Ludious on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Blade Trinity, if only because its one of Ryan Reynolds only action movies where he has more than like 2 lines.

I'd say Rambo 4, but that movie was fucking awesome and anyone who considers it bad needs to have stallone slowly and carefuly rip their throat out.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've heard Rambo 4 was very good. In fact, I think the only people that hate on it are people who haven't seen it and ASSUME it's bad. I can't say either way because I still need to watch it.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like Blade Trinity, if only because its one of Ryan Reynolds only action movies where he has more than like 2 lines.

"Also, just a thought, but you might wanna try blinking. ...sorry, I had a lot of sugar this morning."

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

"Also, just a thought, but you might wanna try blinking. ...sorry, I had a lot of sugar this morning."

Exactly, if someone cut that movie to just his scenes, it would be awesome.

Seriously I just want a Hannibal King movie (not night stalkers Biel's character was retarded).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The great thing about the "blinking" line was that it was ad-libbed. Watch closely and you can see Snipes start to lose it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Seriously I just want a Hannibal King movie (not night stalkers Biel's character was retarded).
    The end of 3 had me more worried about the Hannibal v Triple H fight than the Blade/Dracula silliness.

3 was definitely the weakest of the trilogy, but still better than a lot of comprable films.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The end of 3 had me more worried about the Hannibal v Triple H fight than the Blade/Dracula silliness.

3 was definitely the weakest of the trilogy, but still better than a lot of comprable films.

I honestly would have liked if they had done those fights entirely seperate (hannibal fights wins, and then flips to blade boring ass villain). That was Goyers directorial debut and he didn't do a good job. Decent writer but man he horsefucked direction.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    reefh.jpg

VOODOO JUNGLE DRUMS

I really only enjoyed the parts with Kristen Bell. I hope she gets to do a good and entertaining musical at some point.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Mine have already been mentioned, but I love Demolition Man and Starship Troopers. They both try so hard to live up to their genre and fail spectacularly, but I can't turn either off if it is on TV.

Starship Troopers is way more self-aware and satirical than I thought it was when I first saw it as a teenager. It was on TV a few years ago, and I hadn't seen it in a long time, and I viewed as a complete parody of nationalism militarism. This may not be how everyone interprets it, but I'm pretty sure it's mocking the shit it purports to represent .

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Water World

I did as well. It was amazingly expensive, though.

The Big Hit is a great one that someone mentioned on the first page.

One that I was surprised about when I watched it recently was "Don't Mess With The Zohan". Waaaaaaaay over-the-top but rings true. Funny, too.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked D.E.B.S.

DEBS

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone who's ever enjoyed a giant monster movies needs to see Q - The Winged Serpent.

It's about a re-incarnation of the Aztec flying serpent god Quetzalcoatl, who decides to nest inside the top of the Chrysler Building in NYC when he's not busy flapping around Manhattan and snatching sunbathing women off of rooftops. Michael "Oh, the first Law & Order DA" Moriarty plays a loser petty criminal who discovers the nest and tries to turn a profit on that news, and David Carradine and Richard "Shaft" Roundtree play incredibly sarcastic cops.

Or, if you'd like to watch in essence the whole movie in 2 1/2 minutes, here's the extended trailer:

Q - The Winged Serpent

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    One that I was surprised about when I watched it recently was "Don't Mess With The Zohan". Waaaaaaaay over-the-top but rings true. Funny, too.

Dave Matthews as a white supremacist was inspired casting.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png