As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow browsing speeds on SOME websites?

FlayFlay Registered User regular
For the last few days I've been experiencing slow browsing speeds only on particular websites. Some websites (such as flickr) are completely unaccessible, some are accessible but not all features work (such as gametrailers) while others (such as the penny-arcade forums) just run very slowly. This problem seems to be the worst during the afternoons.

I've checked with my ISP, and they aren't having any known connection problems at the moment. I've also changed my DNS settings, checked I'm not using a proxy, scanned for viruses, tried the same websites with IE, turned off automatic updates and checked I'm not running any P2P programs. None have worked. I've never used a download/upload limiter and am currently using Comodo Internet Security for my firewall.

[strike]My brother says he isn't getting any problems, but I haven't been able to get on his computer to check the same websites.[/strike]
EDIT: I got on to his computer, finally. He is having the same problems as I am.

Anybody got any clue as to what could be causing this?

Flay on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did your brother dick you over with limits on the router?

Is your brother running P2P stuff?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There could be some background process using alot of network resources, such as a trojan or mal/ad-ware or just something you installed and decided it was going to be a dick.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Did your brother dick you over with limits on the router?

He isn't sure what those are, so I guess not.
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Is your brother running P2P stuff?

Nope.
    Idoliside wrote: »
    There could be some background process using alot of network resources, such as a trojan or mal/ad-ware or just something you installed and decided it was going to be a dick.

I'll try running another virus scan. Also, I've just formatted my computer, so if it is something I've installed it must have been in the last few days.

EDIT: The virus scan turned up nil. Also, I got on to my brother's computer, and it turns out he is having problems with the same websites.

Flay on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Check the router for any website filtering or try phoning your ISP again. If you have formatted and the same website isnt loading on both comps then its not a computer problem.

So either the router is playing up or your service is.
    Maybe try resetting the router or disconnecting everyone but one computer. It might have problems with multiple people sharing connections.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs