As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DDR at Home

2»

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Any brand of soft pad is a waste of money for the more fanatic player. I can't imagine playing a doubles set-up on soft pads.

So, if you don't play doubles you aren't a hardcore DDR player? Pfft. I know that isn't what you said, but that is what it sounds like. :P

I have played this game for years and have never touched doubles. I have the older version of this pad. It works just fine. Screw doubles.

My suggestion for any new DDR player:
    -DDRMax 1 & 2
    -This pad

^This, pretty much. MAX 1 & 2 both have good licensed music, and solid classics. If you really want to backtrack, Konamix and Disney mix are also good.

Extreme's unlock system is a nightmare, but it has BT going for it.

ITG is good for difficulty, but let's be realistic: most of ITG's music is awful. It has a few good licensed tracks from Machinae Supremacy and others, and I like the trance-esque music. The rest is generic stuff trying to be like DDR's original music and failing horribly.

You can't really beat Pump when it comes to music, both licensed and original.

As for double play, I'd never bother trying at home. Arcade or not at all. It's hard enough getting a decent bad for singles.

Arcades dying hasn't helped the DDR scene much, and neither has Supernova 2 being the worst mix ever.

Pump's new mixes are still good as ever, but good luck finding those.

On the Stepmania note, the best thing about it is copying the songs and charts to a USB flashdrive for ITG2's R21/R23 feature.

It lets you play custom songs in the arcade, putting the replay value through the roof. Of course, you'll find a lot of people playing really bad stuff, but that comes with the territory.

Er, I've also done some Stepmania projects, but if you want them, you know where to find them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I understand that the $20 pads are not great quality, but suggesting that someone new to DDR spend upwards of $50-70 on a pad is a bit ridiculous.

Either play DDR at a friend's house to see if you like it before dropping money on it, or buy the game and find a cheap $20 pad to start with. When you get frustrated with the pad, then dump money into a better one. It's not a good idea to drop $70 on a nice pad when you don't even know if you're going to stick with it very long. I had 2 $20 pads that I used for over a year when I was really into DDR and it was great. I didn't put out much money, and they worked fine all the way through heavy stuff. Mine were "GameStop" brand, and they never ripped.

I will say that once I remodel the basement and move the entertainment center down there, I want to build/buy metal pads since I will have the space for it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I understand that the $20 pads are not great quality, but suggesting that someone new to DDR spend upwards of $50-70 on a pad is a bit ridiculous.

Either play DDR at a friend's house to see if you like it before dropping money on it, or buy the game and find a cheap $20 pad to start with. When you get frustrated with the pad, then dump money into a better one. It's not a good idea to drop $70 on a nice pad when you don't even know if you're going to stick with it very long. I had 2 $20 pads that I used for over a year when I was really into DDR and it was great. I didn't put out much money, and they worked fine all the way through heavy stuff. Mine were "GameStop" brand, and they never ripped.

I will say that once I remodel the basement and move the entertainment center down there, I want to build/buy metal pads since I will have the space for it.

This is true.

But it also true that if you buy a $20 pad, attach it to plywood. I had $20 pads modded in such a fashion last infinitely longer than $100 foam pads. On any level of difficulty a $20 pad is going to slide all over the place, and once you start playing 7-8 footers (and higher) an unmodded cheap pad will start to drop button presses and send ghost button presses and all sorts of unpleasant things.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    does taping it to the floor have the same effect as taping it to plywood? because i used to just tape it to the floor

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    does taping it to the floor have the same effect as taping it to plywood? because i used to just tape it to the floor

Yeah, if anything it should work better (absolutely zero chance of sliding). I just liked being able to move the pads out of the way when I wasn't using them.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.