As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it bad that I immediately started thinking about backporting the Xel'naga towers to StarCraft 1 maps upon seeing those battle reports? It'd be decently easy to do.

Frem on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Is it bad that I immediately started thinking about backporting the Xel'naga towers to StarCraft 1 maps upon seeing those battle reports? It'd be decently easy to do.

It's been done. I can't find the link right now but they put in watch towers, high grass and of course destructible terrain which is already in SC1 (in the form of neutral buildings around the map).

They didn't try to balance the map though so it was terrible.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has Blizzard made any comment on if SC2 campaign mode is going to have items or leveling on the hero characters, like they do in WC3? Or is Jim Raynor just going to be a buffed up Space Marine or Vulture unit again? The real reason I want to know about items and levels is because I'm curious what sort of tools will be available to the mod community. Without these things, a SC2 DotA might not be possible.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blizzard has quite a few vids up of their campaign editor at work and it's a cmmuntiy consensus that it be tight.

As far as in-game campaign items no idea. They haven't released much on that front aside from in-game achievements like building 100 marines and stuff like that.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Editor supports items, levels, etc. They haven't removed anything from the WC3 editor except the models.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah. The single player campaign/multiplayer may not have items, leveling up, leveled skills, etc. but the editor will have it.

A SC2 DotA will be possible, and will be poorly attempted by nearly everybody. We'll see which one catches on..
    ..even if there are plenty of MOBAs on the market right now (DotA, Demigod, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth).

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Editor supports items, levels, etc. They haven't removed anything from the WC3 editor except the models.

Which is actually fairly annoying, since WC3 had so many models thanks to the creeps.

jothki on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I am sure there will be people in Starcraft who attempt to lose levels/rank by just losing over and over. Although the battle.net thing does sound like a good idea, if it takes a cd key for an account then there will be a lot less shit bags in this game.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Which is actually fairly annoying, since WC3 had so many models thanks to the creeps.

But the new editor completely supports importing your own models which makes up for it honestly.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They will also include the models of units that didn't make the final cut, including some units from SC1.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    They will also include the models of units that didn't make the final cut, including some units from SC1.

I was under the impression that they would be including models of ALL Starcraft 1 units.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I was under the impression that they would be including models of ALL Starcraft 1 units.

I think they remade a lot of SC1 units. For example, all the SC1 terran units at the very least.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Karune wrote:
    There will be units included in the Map Editor which will not be in the standard multiplayer skirmish mode. These will include various units from the original StarCraft, such as the Protoss Dragoon.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    Karune wrote:
    There will be units included in the Map Editor which will not be in the standard multiplayer skirmish mode. These will include various units from the original StarCraft, such as the Protoss Dragoon.

I'm willing to bet that they will be in the single player campaign in the obligatory "capture the old supply depot and units within" type mission.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lurk wrote: »

I think they remade a lot of SC1 units. For example, all the SC1 terran units at the very least.

Yeah they have specifically stated if it was in SC1 or cut from SC2 its in the editor

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Karune wrote:

I'm willing to bet that they will be in the single player campaign in the obligatory "capture the old supply depot and units within" type mission.

If I recall correctly, some of the classic units will be hireable in the Terran campaign.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »

Yeah they have specifically stated if it was in SC1 or cut from SC2 its in the editor

Yeah? I thought they were just gonna stick in SC1 units that they were considering for a reappearance and made models for.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

When you say "cut" do you mean developed for the game and then dropped, like the soul hunter, or not carried over from SC1, like the firebat?

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am sure there will be people in Starcraft who attempt to lose levels/rank by just losing over and over. Although the battle.net thing does sound like a good idea, if it takes a cd key for an account then there will be a lot less shit bags in this game.

???

You're going to have to explain the reasoning behind losing on purpose so that you can eventually get easy wins.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Has Blizzard made any comment on if SC2 campaign mode is going to have items or leveling on the hero characters, like they do in WC3?

Well, the indications are that the Zerg campaign will have "RPG elements", which I assume means there will be something like that. But if the rest of the people who've answered your question before me are accurate, then it's pretty much a more user-friendly WC3 editor with different stored models.

So.

Yes?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »

???

You're going to have to explain the reasoning behind losing on purpose so that you can eventually get easy wins.

So that you can grief low-levels.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

???

It is what people, as an example, in Halo do once they reach 50 or whatever they can delevel all the way to the 10s or 20s so they can play against people of a lower rank. It isn't the best example but it is the first that comes to mind. If people can grief the system in any way it will be done, there are asshats out there that will do it and I am not at all a griefer.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    In the Terran campaign you can customize your army with upgrades, kit and the like. In the Zerg campaign I can imagine you'll actually be customizing units in great detail, experimenting with genes from slain wildlife and enemies - like on some level you can find a weird plant that gives the Hydralisk a poison effect to it's attack but also shortens its vision range or something. Like the Spore creature creator, except good and not "Heehee - silly!"

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That seems like an awful lot of work for something that barely passes as griefing. Since when does "being really good" qualify. And if you lose a 2 minute game against someone who's clearly much better than you, so what?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That seems like an awful lot of work for something that barely passes as griefing. Since when does "being really good" qualify. And if you lose a 2 minute game against someone who's clearly much better than you, so what?
    Because the skill gap is so large that there is no way the person losing can even learn what they did wrong. With a game like starcraft there are so many minor ways that you can screw up and lose the entire game, but if you are new playing new people there is a lot more room for error. People will grief like this most likely.

The reason they did it in Halo was because they liked easy kills so they could talk shit to people and get a good kill to death ratio. It is griefing because the lower ranked person will lose constantly with no chance of ever winning against this opponent. Or when people have an organized team and they are playing randoms in social. It isn't just that they have better team work so they deserve to win, its that one team has never playing with each other before and the other team has hundreds of hours of team work and it incredibly familiar with what to do in every aspect of halo. They are more skilled and have way more teamwork, they should only be playing people with as much team work not just random people trying to have fun.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Join a different game? Matchmaking is retarded? People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?

This must be a Halo thing, because I find this concept to be mind boggling. I have taken part in what would now be termed pub-stomps in many different games, on both sides, and never saw anything wrong with it, certainly nothing that couldn't be fixed with one team just leaving the game or sucking it up and taking their lumps.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Join a different game? Matchmaking is retarded? People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?

This must be a Halo thing, because I find this concept to be mind boggling. I have taken part in what would now be termed pub-stomps in many different games, on both sides, and never saw anything wrong with it, certainly nothing that couldn't be fixed with one team just leaving the game or sucking it up and taking their lumps.

This is going to have replays right? I'd love to run into someone vastly better than me who just destroys me so I can go back and watch the video to steal their tech.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    This is going to have replays right? I'd love to run into someone vastly better than me who just destroys me so I can go back and watch the video to steal their tech.

Now you're thinking like Zerg!

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well the problem is a lot of the time that people don't want to just quit or if they do quit their rank goes lower and people love numbers. It really is frustrating to lose games against people who abuse the system, in some games you can force the matchmaking to match your team together against randoms, people use to do it in Halo 2 I think and I know people could do it on older XBL games like Mechassault and Rainbow Six.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I, for one, am never in the mood to join-wait-start-raped-quit five times before I can find an actually balanced match.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Garthor wrote: »

I, for one, am never in the mood to join-wait-start-raped-quit five times before I can find an actually balanced match.

This isn't an FPS. You may not realize you're in a stacked game until well after 5-10 minutes into it.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

People pubstomp because they like winning more than they like playing for real, and don't want to leave anything to chance. Intentionally creating an unbalanced game one way or another because you want an easy win is an asshole thing to do.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I know the concept behind pubstomping. As I've said, I've been a part of many.

The difference is those were all games on public servers. With goofy stat-tracking matchmaking systems you'd have to go out of your way to lose tons of matches just so that you can get a few easy wins. That's something that I can't quite understand; being a dick, sure, but there are plenty of more productive ways to grief in an RTS. Just because you want to get an easy win and rub it in some guy's face? Losing 20 games so that you can win 2 doesn't really seem like it falls under "easy." He just spent more than 2 hours of his own time so that he could stomp all over you for 5 minutes. Who's losing out here?

But, yeah, high-level Starcraft is not Sim City, it's not even Age of Empires. The games are 25 minutes long, and that's if the other player puts up a steady fight. Not only that, but by most of the information (actually, the entire concept the designers talk about) is to make Starcraft 2 faster than Starcraft, with shorter games.

I can also guarantee you that the actually really good players will not do this, they simply have better things going on. Pretty good players could get away with it, but if you put up token resistance and save the replay I'd bet you'd learn something.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know the concept behind pubstomping. As I've said, I've been a part of many.

The difference is those were all games on public servers. With goofy stat-tracking matchmaking systems you'd have to go out of your way to lose tons of matches just so that you can get a few easy wins. That's something that I can't quite understand; being a dick, sure, but there are plenty of more productive ways to grief in an RTS. Just because you want to get an easy win and rub it in some guy's face? Losing 20 games so that you can win 2 doesn't really seem like it falls under "easy." He just spent more than 2 hours of his own time so that he could stomp all over you for 5 minutes. Who's losing out here?

But, yeah, high-level Starcraft is not Sim City, it's not even Age of Empires. The games are 25 minutes long, and that's if the other player puts up a steady fight. Not only that, but by most of the information (actually, the entire concept the designers talk about) is to make Starcraft 2 faster than Starcraft, with shorter games.

I can also guarantee you that the actually really good players will not do this, they simply have better things going on. Pretty good players could get away with it, but if you put up token resistance and save the replay I'd bet you'd learn something.

The disgusting part about this is that soon enough Star Craft will turn into a FPS. Real time first person shooter strategy. And these aren't even strategy games at this point. It's tactics.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It doesn't take long to join a game and lose in a couple minutes, or even just quit out seconds in.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They getting stomped shouldn't be much of a problem, should it?

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well for someone who wants to actually progress through the system it can be frustrating to lose a game you never had a chance of winning. This is getting a little off topic though, we will just have to see what happens when the game comes out.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

When you say "cut" do you mean developed for the game and then dropped, like the soul hunter, or not carried over from SC1, like the firebat?

Developed and dropped assuming they got past having placeholder models

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They've said the model list isn't up to WC3:TFT standards, but probably more than ROC.

But they've also shown that you can make your own units in the editor, to a degree, so I'm sure DotA will be covered.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

SithDrummer on