Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

1353638404146

Posts

  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am sure there will be people in Starcraft who attempt to lose levels/rank by just losing over and over. Although the battle.net thing does sound like a good idea, if it takes a cd key for an account then there will be a lot less shit bags in this game.

    ???

    You're going to have to explain the reasoning behind losing on purpose so that you can eventually get easy wins.
    It is what people, as an example, in Halo do once they reach 50 or whatever they can delevel all the way to the 10s or 20s so they can play against people of a lower rank. It isn't the best example but it is the first that comes to mind. If people can grief the system in any way it will be done, there are asshats out there that will do it and I am not at all a griefer.

    Doing so now gets you autobanned by Bungie. It's a solvable problem.

    The current unsolved problem is alternate accounts. Bungie can't do anything about that, but Blizzard can since they can tie CD keys to accounts.

    FyreWulff on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Bungie bans people who delevel now? How do they tell if people are purposely losing or if someones brother who is horrible took over the account?

    Fizban140 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    They don't care. They even explicity told people that they literally don't care and that you should have prevented your brother from playing your account.

    edit: to clarify, they can tell the difference between deranking and sucking. Deranking always has patterns you can identify.

    FyreWulff on
  • ModainModain Registered User
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They don't care. They even explicity told people that they literally don't care and that you should have prevented your brother from playing your account.

    edit: to clarify, they can tell the difference between deranking and sucking. Deranking always has patterns you can identify.

    Is there a choice to play unranked games? I am not familiar with Live at all.

    Modain on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Yep. However, if you continually quit out of Social/Unranked games they will still ban you.

    And as I said, the big problem with Halo right now is second accounting. It's not people deranking to get to lower levels, it's people starting new accounts to beat up on new people, and then making another one once they've ranked up too much. Blizzard should be able to counter a lot of this, depends on how much they lock accounts to CD keys.

    FyreWulff on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    I've been quite emphatic about griefing being a real phenomenon. I've gone so far as to say I've taken part in it. Doesn't change the fact that good players DO have better things to do, the first and foremost of them is playing against other good players so that they can stay good. Nothing will fuck over your acquired skill like slumming in the shallow end.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Undead Scottsman on
  • HenroidHenroid Wear your damn plague masks! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

    What the FUCK is that thing? o_O

    Henroid on
    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream during twilight, 4am PST - /henroidt on Twitch
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

    What the FUCK is that thing? o_O

    Image name calls it a "brutalisk"

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Brutalisk is a Zerg "boss" unit that will only appear in the single-player campaign and map editor.

    Bruce Forsyth on
  • MaceraMacera Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Dang, they're really going the extra mile giving souped-up zerg units custom models.

    I mean, before there were stronger zerg (hunter-killer hydralisks, devourer zerglings) but they just had a different portrait.

    Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    Dang, they're really going the extra mile giving souped-up zerg units custom models.

    I mean, before there were stronger zerg (hunter-killer hydralisks, devourer zerglings) but they just had a different portrait.

    To be fair, the only special units in the original that got unique models were the Dark Templar and Kerrigan.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That Brutalisk should be in muli too. When the Mothership floats over that thing springs out of the ground and swallows it.

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, it's easier to do when you don't have to draw individual sprites for each unit's animations..

    FyreWulff on
  • s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

    s_86 on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    I think it's that decent players can do it.

    For example, in Starcraft iccup, the differences in skill level are pretty large between a B player and a D or even C player. A B player is good, but not great, they will still walkover any relatively new player giving them basically no chance.

    GogoKodo on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    I think it's that decent players can do it.

    For example, in Starcraft iccup, the differences in skill level are pretty large between a B player and a D or even C player. A B player is good, but not great, they will still walkover any relatively new player giving them basically no chance.

    As in most games. But that C player isn't going to make B if he spends all his time shitting on Ds or Es. For shits and giggles, sure, it'll happen; it always has, since the inception of competitive gaming, but it's not productive and I don't think it'll be a big problem.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    I think it's that decent players can do it.

    For example, in Starcraft iccup, the differences in skill level are pretty large between a B player and a D or even C player. A B player is good, but not great, they will still walkover any relatively new player giving them basically no chance.

    As in most games. But that C player isn't going to make B if he spends all his time shitting on Ds or Es. For shits and giggles, sure, it'll happen; it always has, since the inception of competitive gaming, but it's not productive and I don't think it'll be a big problem.

    People who are concerned with "making B" are probably not the shiteaters we are currently discussing. Your statement boils down to "I don't think it'll be a big issue", stop pretending it's anything more than your own unsupported conjecture.

    Garthor on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the people who want to do this aren't people who are going to be concerned with getting ranks or whatever. They just want to do it because they're dicks and they probably won't bother with anything else.

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Garthor wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    I think it's that decent players can do it.

    For example, in Starcraft iccup, the differences in skill level are pretty large between a B player and a D or even C player. A B player is good, but not great, they will still walkover any relatively new player giving them basically no chance.

    As in most games. But that C player isn't going to make B if he spends all his time shitting on Ds or Es. For shits and giggles, sure, it'll happen; it always has, since the inception of competitive gaming, but it's not productive and I don't think it'll be a big problem.

    People who are concerned with "making B" are probably not the shiteaters we are currently discussing. Your statement boils down to "I don't think it'll be a big issue", stop pretending it's anything more than your own unsupported conjecture.

    It's got as much factual support as the claim against it. Anecdotal support is up for grabs (typical!).

    If you want an actual argument then there's this: getting around common cheese tactics is one of the first things a good player in any game has to do, and consistently. If so-so players are getting their kicks by cheesing new players, well fuck it; you want to get better you're going to have to learn to defend against that stuff, and once you do you'll feel better for it.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you can hit B rank on ICCup you're probably like at least top 5% of all Starcraft players already. There's like 2000 B rank players in the entire world. The amount of D rank players is huge compared to the number of A and B players. Hell, if you include C ranks into it than that's only 10,000 or so players out of the 100,000 or so users on ICCup.

    The ICCup ranking system means there will be a smaller number of A, B and C level players that are sitting in D ranks simply because they haven't ranked up yet. Yes, you're going to run into them once in awhile but the majority of time you're playing other D ranks. This is the ICCup system though, and we've got very little info on what Blizzard will do.

    If Blizzard can find a way to base a players ranking on previous ladder season performance then it should be alright. They've already said that there's only going to be one account tied to each cd-key. However, this means that the first year or so is going to be rough as Blizzard has no data on any players and everyone's going to be sitting in the same league for a while.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    I think it's that decent players can do it.

    For example, in Starcraft iccup, the differences in skill level are pretty large between a B player and a D or even C player. A B player is good, but not great, they will still walkover any relatively new player giving them basically no chance.

    As in most games. But that C player isn't going to make B if he spends all his time shitting on Ds or Es. For shits and giggles, sure, it'll happen; it always has, since the inception of competitive gaming, but it's not productive and I don't think it'll be a big problem.

    People who are concerned with "making B" are probably not the shiteaters we are currently discussing. Your statement boils down to "I don't think it'll be a big issue", stop pretending it's anything more than your own unsupported conjecture.

    It's got as much factual support as the claim against it. Anecdotal support is up for grabs (typical!).

    If you want an actual argument then there's this: getting around common cheese tactics is one of the first things a good player in any game has to do, and consistently. If so-so players are getting their kicks by cheesing new players, well fuck it; you want to get better you're going to have to learn to defend against that stuff, and once you do you'll feel better for it.

    Most players would rather have fun than get better. "All they have to do is get better!" is a pretty shitty argument against griefing.

    Zek on
  • HenroidHenroid Wear your damn plague masks! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I see tourneytard talk.

    Getting better at the game, for the record, is the long-term solution; most people don't stick with video games for the long term. The short-term solution to someone being in your game and out "ranking" you in a game is... play somewhere else?

    Henroid on
    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream during twilight, 4am PST - /henroidt on Twitch
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Then they can play with their friends or fuck around with USM games. You enter online ranked games and you should expect your opponent to do whatever they can to win, not whatever it takes to make the game most enjoyable for you.

    Besides that, getting better IS fun. If fun is only in winning then you're back to 4 pooling over and over again.

    If Blizzard uses any sort of ELO-based system then I'm sure the rankings will be fine. And it will be of no loss to a newer player to lose to a high ranked one and of no benefit for them to troll new players.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    People who are actually really good have better things to do with their time (I know this for a fact)?
    Is this really going to be one of your arguments for how griefing doesn't happen on the internet?

    Tell that to all the high level StarCraft 1 people who stomp on D level players on iccup.

    I couldn't say that it never happens, but as a general rule being a good player involves a lot of time spent playing with other good players. That's how it works in every other game.

    I think it's that decent players can do it.

    For example, in Starcraft iccup, the differences in skill level are pretty large between a B player and a D or even C player. A B player is good, but not great, they will still walkover any relatively new player giving them basically no chance.

    As in most games. But that C player isn't going to make B if he spends all his time shitting on Ds or Es. For shits and giggles, sure, it'll happen; it always has, since the inception of competitive gaming, but it's not productive and I don't think it'll be a big problem.

    People who are concerned with "making B" are probably not the shiteaters we are currently discussing. Your statement boils down to "I don't think it'll be a big issue", stop pretending it's anything more than your own unsupported conjecture.

    It's got as much factual support as the claim against it. Anecdotal support is up for grabs (typical!).

    If you want an actual argument then there's this: getting around common cheese tactics is one of the first things a good player in any game has to do, and consistently. If so-so players are getting their kicks by cheesing new players, well fuck it; you want to get better you're going to have to learn to defend against that stuff, and once you do you'll feel better for it.

    Most players would rather have fun than get better. "All they have to do is get better!" is a pretty shitty argument against griefing.
    No, its not. Let me turn this around for a second:
    Player 1 keeps throwing me, its ruining my fun, I can't block throws and he always gets them off. I don't want to learn how to stop him from doing it, so I'm going to bitch about Throws until there either turned off or I give up on the game.

    If throwing is winning you games, then you keep throwing until you find some one who can stop you. When you find some one who can stop you, you learn how he did it and add that to your list of tactics. If all you want to do is build bases and maybe attack some one, there are games for that, StarCraft isn't a Base Simulator.

    As stated, these are just players who are better then the people they are playing against. It's not like they found some magic bug that they are exploiting to get wins. Also, as it was also mentioned, you're most likely going to have ONE account because of how the new battle.net system works. People care WAY to much about there stats to lose over and over on there main account just to stomp scrubs.

    Paradox Control on
    \
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't think griefing via ladder is as much as an issue as it was in the past specifically because there's that cd-key link between accounts. Also, the type of person who would get frustrated from being griefed in the ladder by a better player is generally the type of person who wouldn't play a ladder game in the first place. They usually play custom games or when they do play a competitive game it's a comp stomp and/or it takes place on a Big Game Hunter map. To these people "getting better" isn't fun, they want fun to be the reason for them to get better, not the other way around.

    Opty on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited November 2009
    I don't think that's a fair assumption, Opty.

    I like playing in ladder and I like "fair" fights wherein I actually had a chance to win from the onset of the game. Playing against someone 2x your skill level isn't as fun as playing someone who's close to your skill level (+/- a little bit) all the while you get better because you devise strategies and feel like you have a chance at the goal.

    Not to say that playing against someone better than me isn't fun at all, it's just that a fair ladder system is much less frustrating than a smurfy one.

    Anyways, like you said, the ladder system is going to be unsmurfable (unless you buy a new game or play on someone else's account) so there's not much worry about it in the first place.

    4rch3nemy on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Then they can play with their friends or fuck around with USM games. You enter online ranked games and you should expect your opponent to do whatever they can to win, not whatever it takes to make the game most enjoyable for you.

    Besides that, getting better IS fun. If fun is only in winning then you're back to 4 pooling over and over again.

    If Blizzard uses any sort of ELO-based system then I'm sure the rankings will be fine. And it will be of no loss to a newer player to lose to a high ranked one and of no benefit for them to troll new players.

    We're not talking about cheese tactics, we're talking about people handicapping their ratings to get easy wins against newbies. People don't do it for any particular benefit, and no, the ELO system won't help because they've lowered their ELO ratings to lower than their actual skill. You're trying to turn the blame around on the victim which is absurd. The whole reason ranked games exist is so you can get a balanced match. And no, most people do not play games with the objective of getting better, they play them because they enjoy the gameplay.
    No, its not. Let me turn this around for a second:
    Player 1 keeps throwing me, its ruining my fun, I can't block throws and he always gets them off. I don't want to learn how to stop him from doing it, so I'm going to bitch about Throws until there either turned off or I give up on the game.

    If throwing is winning you games, then you keep throwing until you find some one who can stop you. When you find some one who can stop you, you learn how he did it and add that to your list of tactics. If all you want to do is build bases and maybe attack some one, there are games for that, StarCraft isn't a Base Simulator.

    As stated, these are just players who are better then the people they are playing against. It's not like they found some magic bug that they are exploiting to get wins. Also, as it was also mentioned, you're most likely going to have ONE account because of how the new battle.net system works. People care WAY to much about there stats to lose over and over on there main account just to stomp scrubs.
    It's exactly because they are exploiting a "bug" to get wins that they're playing against people so much worse than them in the first place. I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    Zek on
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    Oh how wrong you are.

    Plus even SC1 has the replay feature so you can share hilarious newb stomping with all your friends.

    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    I'm failing to see how you could possibly believe this given that the personality not only exists in real life, but is a perpetually repeated character in all forms of popular media.

    I mean, like, do you watch the Simpsons and think, "Huh, I guess those nerds must've totally insulted Nelson's mother..."

    Garthor on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    Oh how wrong you are.

    Plus even SC1 has the replay feature so you can share hilarious newb stomping with all your friends.

    Not everyone's goal is to become the best that they can at the game. If that were the case, griefing wouldn't exist at all. This isn't necessarily to equate griefing with stomping newbs, but it's most certainly a favourite pastime of jerks everywhere.

    Heck, you can't be telling me that you you've never been hit by obvious smurf accounts.

    subedii on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    Oh how wrong you are.

    Plus even SC1 has the replay feature so you can share hilarious newb stomping with all your friends.

    Not everyone's goal is to become the best that they can at the game. If that were the case, griefing wouldn't exist at all. This isn't necessarily to equate griefing with stomping newbs, but it's most certainly a favourite pastime of jerks everywhere.

    Heck, you can't be telling me that you you've ever been hit by obvious smurf accounts.

    Probably the only replay I have watched several times is the one where I killed a guy with a zealot. I didn't target his probes or anything I just walked into his base and attacked his forge and he kept yelling 'HELP OH GOD STOP HELP PLEASE HELP' over and over. He just kept mining...and never built another building while he screamed.

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    Oh how wrong you are.

    Plus even SC1 has the replay feature so you can share hilarious newb stomping with all your friends.

    Not everyone's goal is to become the best that they can at the game. If that were the case, griefing wouldn't exist at all. This isn't necessarily to equate griefing with stomping newbs, but it's most certainly a favourite pastime of jerks everywhere.

    Heck, you can't be telling me that you you've ever been hit by obvious smurf accounts.

    Obviously I have, in my experience it usually happens when a ladder is stale (i.e. hasn't been reset for a long time) and people make smurfs to get a ridiculous win/loss ratio after they've hit their peak rank and find it's easier to 'improve' with win/loss rather than rank.
    I could be wrong, it's just that I can relate to people caring about win/loss ratio way more than they should.

    Shouldn't this all be history considering you'll only be able to have one SC2 account?

    Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • HenroidHenroid Wear your damn plague masks! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Shouldn't this all be history considering you'll only be able to have one SC2 account?

    One account per copy yes, as will be the case with all Blizzard games from here on out. I dunno if people were intending to defend the old system of making accounts willy-nilly or not but that entire discussion was weird.

    Henroid on
    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream during twilight, 4am PST - /henroidt on Twitch
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    musanman wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I guarantee you there are people who enjoy stomping newbies more than improving their record.

    That's rather hard to believe, if winning is not tied to score and no one is there to witness it then there is no worth in winning over losing (unless you have some sort of thing with your opponent).

    Oh how wrong you are.

    Plus even SC1 has the replay feature so you can share hilarious newb stomping with all your friends.

    Not everyone's goal is to become the best that they can at the game. If that were the case, griefing wouldn't exist at all. This isn't necessarily to equate griefing with stomping newbs, but it's most certainly a favourite pastime of jerks everywhere.

    Heck, you can't be telling me that you you've ever been hit by obvious smurf accounts.

    Probably the only replay I have watched several times is the one where I killed a guy with a zealot. I didn't target his probes or anything I just walked into his base and attacked his forge and he kept yelling 'HELP OH GOD STOP HELP PLEASE HELP' over and over. He just kept mining...and never built another building while he screamed.

    Reminds me of me when I wanted to play through the storyline again after a few years had corroded what little skills I had into shit. Except I was using cheats because I knew I sucked, so there was less screaming. More muttering, "Yes, I know the base is under attack, imma buildin' my rezorse."

    Shadowen on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hahaha, what are you guys even talking about. How do you grief someone in starcraft? I can't even imagine how it is possible. But then again I played ultima online. Can you force people to play you over and over now or what?

    BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Hahaha, what are you guys even talking about. How do you grief someone in starcraft? I can't even imagine how it is possible. But then again I played ultima online. Can you force people to play you over and over now or what?

    You play them online once and be totally better than they are. It's a total grief, the last time someone was better than me at a game it totally ruined my day. That 5 minutes it took them to defeat me so badly that I had to move on and face someone else was like an eternity.

    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What???? You mean there are winners and losers? Brutal. What's terrible is that in the replays you can see exactly what they did to win so it just continues the cycle of grief.

    BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
Sign In or Register to comment.