As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Wow. Despite my inability to write, a silly blog post I made about a texture glitch has been featured on the launcher. I'll try not to let the e-fame go to my head.

Nice, dude. :^:

Also, what's this "Writ of Passage" business they're talking about?

Edit: Ohhhh, that's that scroll I got earlier. Nice. Travel discount ftw. :D

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow. Despite my inability to write, a silly blog post I made about a texture glitch has been featured on the launcher. I'll try not to let the e-fame go to my head.
    copy/pasta text, please?

Aldo on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    copy/pasta text, please?

He's on the front page of the Lotro Forums webpage, currently the second official post:
    Sapience wrote:
    Blog Spotlight on my.lotro.com

Congratulations to AaronKI of Windfola Server, our latest Scribe of the Ages. Tall tales come in many forms; Fun, exciting, educational. Sometimes though, they're just plain freaky. What, exactly, do they craft in this "crafting hall"?
    Here is AaronK's blog posting. Definitely very trippy bug you ran into there AaronK.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hah. awesome.

I'm facing a less awesome bug: when I try to sell trash to vendors I all of a sudden can't move, i can chat for another minute and then I lose my connection. Afterwards I cannot log into my toon for nearly an hour.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm facing a less awesome bug: when I try to sell trash to vendors I all of a sudden can't move, i can chat for another minute and then I lose my connection. Afterwards I cannot log into my toon for nearly an hour.

Stuff like that is why I haven't actually bought this game yet. I've created like a zillion trial accounts, but I keep getting characters two or three quest turn-ins from the Undying deed when I get disconnected in the middle of a fight.

It's more than a wee bit frustrating.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Stuff like that is why I haven't actually bought this game yet. I've created like a zillion trial accounts, but I keep getting characters two or three quest turn-ins from the Undying deed when I get disconnected in the middle of a fight.

It's more than a wee bit frustrating.

Oh, I never had that happen. And this is the first time I'm facing this. And even so I can still play other characters. Really, this game is mostly a smooth experience for me.

Aldo on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Radiance Set for Guardians looks awesome, though
    Man, captains get nothing that looks cool. Our high-level armor is a joke.

Look at this crap!

8MnYG.jpgRbOIR.jpg7GP0i.jpgiZGQj.jpgJw9a4.jpg

That last suit isn't even unique looking; it's practically copy-pasted from every single fucking set of crafted Moria armor!

Ugh... it's so depressing. Who designs this shit?

Anyway, I came here to post about UIs. UIs. UIs.

I miss modding from WoW, but I'm kind of curious to see what people have managed to do with LotRO.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Ie9iv.jpg

(click for full size)

Saving those last two slots on the hotbar for Shadow's Lament and Valiant Strike.

(And sweet jebus does LotRO need a high quality screenshot option; that looks terrible!)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Download Fraps, mate. You can take screenshots of practically anything and automatically save them as .bmp.

I have the standard UI, but I did move my Gambit bar to the center. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how I can get rid of my portrait next to the HP bar. It's ugly and doesnt server a purpose.

Aldo on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Download Fraps, mate. You can take screenshots of practically anything and automatically save them as .bmp.

I have the standard UI, but I did move my Gambit bar to the center. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how I can get rid of my portrait next to the HP bar. It's ugly and doesnt server a purpose.

In the advanced graphics option you can turn off the portraits, but it turns them off for everything else too, like enemies.

Etch on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    So, I might end up trying this again with my wife. Im a fairly long time MMO player/gamer, shes new to the whole thing. She had a Level 30ish mage in WoW, I played paladin, we had good times. But I know shes gonna hate WoW endgame, so looking at a switch.

1) Good idea switching?

2) What class combo should we do?
    For what it's worth, my wife and I recently started playing too. She picked up a Runekeeper, which is a nice hybrid who can range dps or heal, just not both at once effectively. I picked up a Warden, a nice hybrid that can melee dps some and tank some. We're quite effective together.

Although playing the warden is odd. Everything is combo driven. I feel like I'm trying to memorize move lists for a fighting game, because I literally have like 11 different combos now.

I'd say it's a good idea to switch. LOTRO's got a lot of quests which do a good job of telling interesting stories, and giving you proper context for why you yourself are doing this particular task, something that WoW's only started to manage in the most recent expansion with few exceptions.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    *only* 11? ;)

On the bright side the later gambits are longer versions of the beginning ones. So you got spear-shield-fist and the better version of that one goes spear-shield-fist-spear. And all the heals are shield-spear-(shield-(spear-(shield)))

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Etch wrote: »

In the advanced graphics option you can turn off the portraits, but it turns them off for everything else too, like enemies.

Thanks. Hmm, I'll have to see if I actually use the enemy portraits for anything. I cant remember.

You know, I had this really elaborate UI in WoW, really completely tailor-made and I liked making it better and better. But in LOTRO I cant edit it completely and I dont even miss that. Same in the free MMOs I've played, sure some things are weird in the UI, but when I know that I cant change it's not a game-breaker for me.

Aldo on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've recently started playing again, after I had to stop playing awhile back for a couple reasons. Anyway, I have a level 21 hunter, and I'm trying to to relearn everything, such as combat, where things are, etc. Crafting wise, I'm a woodsman, and am trying to learn how to make money with my skills. Do any of you have some tips on how to maximize working the auction house with forestry/woodworking? I really love the crafting system, and I really want to be able to afford a deluxe house at some point :P. Any tips on what to sell, what to make, what to vendor, etc.? I've tried selling stacks of untreated rowan, ash, etc. but to not much success. Perhaps I should sell treated items in smaller stacks? I don't really have a good sense as to if I should even bother auctioning crafted weapons at all, or maybe just crit items. I've thought about making tons of hafts, bowstaves, stuff like that, but I'm not sure if that would be better than just selling the materials.

gaming_librarian on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've recently started playing again, after I had to stop playing awhile back for a couple reasons. Anyway, I have a level 21 hunter, and I'm trying to to relearn everything, such as combat, where things are, etc. Crafting wise, I'm a woodsman, and am trying to learn how to make money with my skills. Do any of you have some tips on how to maximize working the auction house with forestry/woodworking? I really love the crafting system, and I really want to be able to afford a deluxe house at some point :P. Any tips on what to sell, what to make, what to vendor, etc.? I've tried selling stacks of untreated rowan, ash, etc. but to not much success. Perhaps I should sell treated items in smaller stacks? I don't really have a good sense as to if I should even bother auctioning crafted weapons at all, or maybe just crit items. I've thought about making tons of hafts, bowstaves, stuff like that, but I'm not sure if that would be better than just selling the materials.

From what I've seen (I'm a noob recently returning to a lowish char as well) you will want to sell treated wood as woodworkers and weaponsmiths cant treat it themselves. Apparently there is good money to be made from it though.

Most people recommend explorer so that you can make lots of money selling ore and treated wood.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adda wrote: »

From what I've seen (I'm a noob recently returning to a lowish char as well) you will want to sell treated wood as woodworkers and weaponsmiths cant treat it themselves. Apparently there is good money to be made from it though.

Most people recommend explorer so that you can make lots of money selling ore and treated wood.

Ah, I'll try that then. It makes sense. Thanks. :)

gaming_librarian on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Woodworkers can also make carvings for wardens, right? Unfortunately they're a class with a small population, but if you can make some decent carvings then those are supposed to sell well.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well depends on your craft class. Foresters by themselves can only harvest and treat wood and leather (leather is weird, weapon smiths generally need the untanned base type and anyone can collect it, where as armorsmiths if they choose armor making specifically don't have the ability to tan leather and would need it tanned). Explorer is 3 subjobs, mining, forestry, and tailoring. It's a good money maker as ore and wood/leather sell very well. Tailoring is kind of a pain in the ass to level, but combining hunting for leather with traiting up can maximise your time spent killing things.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woodworkers can treat wood...

Anyways, thanks to some awesome armor crafted by myself and some excellent weapons supplied by Ravanna I am now a pimp lvl 22 Dwarf Champion. I cut through guys like butter, and it's hard as hell to take me down. God I love walking into a group of creatures and just going to town on all of them with AoE's!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Wood doesn't start to sell until you get to Tier 4 (Lebethron) and higher. I've seen stacks of untreated Yew go for under 100s, and stacks of untreated Lebethron go for over 400s. The difference between treated and untreated seems to be minimal, at least as far as prices go, but at lower levels, it may be that the treated stuff will at least move faster.

I find that critted weapons sell well, but you have to pay attention to stats and levels. Anything under level 20 is problematic, because at those levels, people progress fast enough that they're likely only going to be using that weapon for as little as a couple hours. And a melee weapon with +will probably isn't going to earn as much as a similarly specced weapon with +might or +vitality.

But, as an example, my weaponsmith regularly sells critted level 20 swords on the AH for 200s a pop. I would imagine that there are similar markets for the weapons a woodworker can make.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, woodworkers can make bows right? And there a crapload of hunters, so it seems like it would be a good market.

Also, anyone want to make my level 40 hunter some fancy new armor? My chest and leg pieces are pretty lame. I can supply materials.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Anyways, thanks to some awesome armor crafted by myself and some excellent weapons supplied by Ravanna I am now a pimp lvl 22 Dwarf Champion. I cut through guys like butter, and it's hard as hell to take me down. God I love walking into a group of creatures and just going to town on all of them with AoE's!

I am pretty sure only Foresters can treat wood.

Shens on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shens wrote: »

That's what I thought but I am a complete uneducated little hunter in the game.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Adda wrote: »

That's what I thought but I am a complete uneducated little hunter in the game.

Well the issue is there are craft classes that have the ability to harvest and treat wood (since every craft class gets 3 trees of advancement) and some that don't. The weaponcrafter craft class can't treat wood (they have the ability to smith metal weapons, create wood weapons, and mine and process ore). Where as there is a class that can make wood weapons and harvest wood.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Anyway, I came here to post about UIs. UIs. UIs.

I miss modding from WoW, but I'm kind of curious to see what people have managed to do with LotRO.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!
    Ie9iv.jpg

(click for full size)

What Action Bars and Radar skins are you using there? They're very nice looking. 8-)

Grenn on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Try selling hides or leather. I recently unlocked the Supreme Tier for Tailor on my Yeoman. This took 520 Exceptional Hides or 260 Exceptional Leathers. I looked into buying them from the auction house (on Nimrodel) and decided it was simply too expensive at 1 gold or more per 100 hides, so I ended up farming them myself. I'm not sure how big the market is, there didn't seem to be that many stacks for sell, but the stacks up were all over 1 gold for buyout. Not sure how well lower-level hides and leather sell, but the upper-mid and high-level stuff is quite expensive at the AH. It does take a lot more crafting points and thus raw material to unlock things at the higher levels, which presumably increases demand. While I made Master Tailor at the lower rating (Proficient), I'm doubtful I'll ever make Grand Master or Supreme Master it will just take too many hides. Looks like it will take 1040 Exceptional Hides for me to make Grand Master.

One nice bonus for farming hides over farming wood is that you get XP for your kills. Check the auction house to see if Leather or Hides sells better.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah Hide collecting gives you weapon exp (when you have a legendary), helps you work on traits, and nets money just from drops.

Hides are also used by multiple classes you don't even have to process them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I make most of my money selling hides. I can sell a stack of 25 for about 250s easy.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    not my kin, but:

9kwj81.jpg

Aldo on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

oh I'm pretty sure Hjar knows how to handle wood

if you know what I mean

with those little hobbit hands

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Well, woodworkers can make bows right? And there a crapload of hunters, so it seems like it would be a good market.

Also, anyone want to make my level 40 hunter some fancy new armor? My chest and leg pieces are pretty lame. I can supply materials.

I'd be more than happy to, dude. Shoot me a tell next time you see me on, and I'll let ya know what I can make. I'm a supreme level tailor, so making armor for a hunter is basically my specialty.

oh I'm pretty sure Hjar knows how to handle wood

if you know what I mean

with those little hobbit hands

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

I'm also a forester. of course i know how to handle wood.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome. Starting tomorrow, through the 15th, there is 25% extra xp from mobs. Also, it's a free play week for those who have unsubscribed previously.

That XP bonus is neat. It's a good time for me to be on vacation.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh hey so the game is free this weekend.

Guess I'll see you dudes again soon.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh hey so the game is free this weekend.

Guess I'll see you dudes again soon.

Come back for good, dammit. :(

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mmmmm... I'm leaning towards Champions at this point. The closed beta is pretty great and they're opening up hours soon, then open beta, then full launch...

freakish light on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    at this point Im jumping ship to Champions Online.

Its everything I want in an MMO.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome. Starting tomorrow, through the 15th, there is 25% extra xp from mobs. Also, it's a free play week for those who have unsubscribed previously.

That XP bonus is neat. It's a good time for me to be on vacation.

Sweet! Maybe I'll hit 60.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This may be a good time for me to finally roll an alt, with the XP bonus and all.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My wife and I were happy to get into the guild last night. Our brief sojourn of questing in the vale of Andrath was enjoyable heightened by the innuendo-laden kinship chat. Thanks, folks, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of you.

Entriech on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That is true... however, Woodworkers also get Forestry. So they can treat wood.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    This may be a good time for me to finally roll an alt, with the XP bonus and all.

Funny, the xp bonus had the opposite effect on me. I was just about to roll an alt when I saw that there was incoming XP bonus, so I sighed and logged right back into my level 24 Minstrel. Wonder how high I can get him? Sucks that I have to work today. Some vacation this is.

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.