As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yea, a lev60 with all traits and legendaries and whathaveyou. Wouldn't want to start that over.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Finished, done, over. 120 rad. That means, no more Swords Hall, at least no more PUGs. If TBS wants to run it, I'll help. But never in a PUG again.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dinged 65 #3 this evening (with a little help). Now to crawl into bed and die.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tried Warg Pens yesterday with a champion and a hunter from my kin. I said I never tried it before but I was willing to give it a try with - what i assumed - was a lot of dps.

The hunter only had one legendary trait equipped and his virtues were stuck at 6-9
    The champion did have 3 legendary traits, but his virtues were between 3-6.
    They both had zero radiance gear and were sporting mostly quest rewards.

This in itself is not shameful, we all started somewhere, but it did mean we wiped on the fucking trash in there. So I was like 'this aint gonna work' and they were like 'they say you dont need healing for SH lets do that'. Being the "experienced" player here (about 10 SH runs under the belt, most of which without healing) I told them that that only works with strong dps. So the champion said that he'd leave so we could find a healer or something.

I politely disagreed with this course of action and bullied them into going to increase their virtues with the 3 of us. They both indicated not feeling like grinding it out, so I figured that with 3 players nuking down grey mobs it'd feel less like grinding to them. So voila, first we killed some worms in Moria, but those were kinda farmed for crafted relics. Then we moved to MM where we first killed 105 wolves and then moved into Goblin Town to pick up pages for the hunter's legendary traits.

I also pointed out to them that some of their virtues were easy to level by doing exploration deeds and quests, so it wasn't like they would be grinding for ages. I have the feeling that once they figure out how much grinding is needed for radiance gear they're just gonna give up. But at least they'll have better virtues.

So lesson for y'all: when you're a fresh 65 and you're looking into doing instances...there's probably other shit you need to do first. You don't need to have all virtues on 10, but the higher the better. Usually only 5 to 10 (depending on if you picked fucking Zeal or not) levels (out of 50) require massive grinding. You also want to get some legendary traits done, those will last you a lifetime and although they can be difficult they're well worth the effort.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo, Warg Pens trash is deadly. Their aggro range is very long and they have weird patrols running around. TBS did hard mode once, and we wiped 3-4 times on trash, and only twice on both bosses. Those Wargs have a tendency to swap aggro, and some of them have group wide fear. I don't think the hard mode (or even easy mode) can be done without a healer. Maybe Warden+2 Captains, but I doubt it. In fact for Warg Pens, more CC is better than DPS.

Still a fun instance.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    Aldo, Warg Pens trash is deadly. Their aggro range is very long and they have weird patrols running around. TBS did hard mode once, and we wiped 3-4 times on trash, and only twice on both bosses. Those Wargs have a tendency to swap aggro, and some of them have group wide fear. I don't think the hard mode (or even easy mode) can be done without a healer. Maybe Warden+2 Captains, but I doubt it. In fact for Warg Pens, more CC is better than DPS.

Still a fun instance.
    I guess that is why no one even runs WP :x

I really hate how instances work, now everyone only runs GS for moria tokens, HoM for Lothlorien tokens and SH and SG for Mirk tokens. All other content is left to rot.

All this could have been solved if radiance gear and legendary items were of lesser importance and people would want to run different instances for different drops.

Aldo on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Tried Warg Pens yesterday with a champion and a hunter from my kin. I said I never tried it before but I was willing to give it a try with - what i assumed - was a lot of dps.

The hunter only had one legendary trait equipped and his virtues were stuck at 6-9
    The champion did have 3 legendary traits, but his virtues were between 3-6.
    They both had zero radiance gear and were sporting mostly quest rewards.

This in itself is not shameful, we all started somewhere, but it did mean we wiped on the fucking trash in there. So I was like 'this aint gonna work' and they were like 'they say you dont need healing for SH lets do that'. Being the "experienced" player here (about 10 SH runs under the belt, most of which without healing) I told them that that only works with strong dps. So the champion said that he'd leave so we could find a healer or something.

I politely disagreed with this course of action and bullied them into going to increase their virtues with the 3 of us. They both indicated not feeling like grinding it out, so I figured that with 3 players nuking down grey mobs it'd feel less like grinding to them. So voila, first we killed some worms in Moria, but those were kinda farmed for crafted relics. Then we moved to MM where we first killed 105 wolves and then moved into Goblin Town to pick up pages for the hunter's legendary traits.

I also pointed out to them that some of their virtues were easy to level by doing exploration deeds and quests, so it wasn't like they would be grinding for ages. I have the feeling that once they figure out how much grinding is needed for radiance gear they're just gonna give up. But at least they'll have better virtues.

So lesson for y'all: when you're a fresh 65 and you're looking into doing instances...there's probably other shit you need to do first. You don't need to have all virtues on 10, but the higher the better. Usually only 5 to 10 (depending on if you picked fucking Zeal or not) levels (out of 50) require massive grinding. You also want to get some legendary traits done, those will last you a lifetime and although they can be difficult they're well worth the effort.

The virtues thing is kind of understandable, and the quest reward armor (at least from the epic story) can be almost as good as the rad armor (except for radiance) but how the hell do you get to 65 with only one legendary trait equipped? I just.. why would you do that?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    The virtues thing is kind of understandable, and the quest reward armor (at least from the epic story) can be almost as good as the rad armor (except for radiance) but how the hell do you get to 65 with only one legendary trait equipped? I just.. why would you do that?
    Didn't feel like grinding the traits from the lev45 class quests, I guess? And not being able to finish vol2bk1-bk6 is a common thing, bk5ch5 and bk6ch8 are fucking bitches and it took me months after reaching lev60 to get people together to do those. I didn't want to bugger them too much because they're both very nice guys (who are also twice maybe thrice my age).

Aldo on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Finally got innocence to rank 9, so I think I'm done with grinding virtues for a bit. Honestly they don't seem to mean much if you're not a tank anyways; a few extra agi/might doesn't translate percentage-wise into DPS nearly as much as a thousand or so defense rating.

Aldo, which moria instances did you find fun to run through? Finally finished up the Mirkwood story, think I want to pick up a few of the 10 rad pieces next. I think picking up the chest and legs, I only lose about 15 will from what I have now, and gain a bunch of might and vitality.

Half the fun of gearing up as a warden: how to do so without totally destroying your OCPR / fear resists. The 25 rad gear is absolute garbage in a small group setting, so I'm just focusing on getting my new LIs up to par first.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Finally got innocence to rank 9, so I think I'm done with grinding virtues for a bit. Honestly they don't seem to mean much if you're not a tank anyways; a few extra agi/might doesn't translate percentage-wise into DPS nearly as much as a thousand or so defense rating.

Aldo, which moria instances did you find fun to run through? Finally finished up the Mirkwood story, think I want to pick up a few of the 10 rad pieces next. I think picking up the chest and legs, I only lose about 15 will from what I have now, and gain a bunch of might and vitality.

Half the fun of gearing up as a warden: how to do so without totally destroying your OCPR / fear resists. The 25 rad gear is absolute garbage in a small group setting, so I'm just focusing on getting my new LIs up to par first.
    Eh, even if you're not getting pounded on 24/7 it's useful to have some melee damage mitigation, the less you die the better I always say. Not to mention a 30 extra might or fate or whatever goes a long way towards reaching maxed out stats. Oh and shadow/wound mitigation is godly, those are the two debuffs you get raped with most.

wrt Innocence: did you do the one in Annuminas? Theres an exploration deed that is super easy on 65 because all mobs are grey. Also one inside the instances there, but you can't solo that one and nothing drops there that anyone might need except for fashion.

I found Grand Stairs, Forges and Fil Gashan the most fun. I would advice you to stay the fuck away from Dark Delvings. If you can find a group going to Hall of Mirrors or Waterworks those can be a lot of fun too, although they require all 3 of you to be on top of their game.

ICPR>OCPR, by the way. It's all about the ICPR.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man Sword Halls easy mode is so easy I can't see how you could ever fail that ever. Also FUCK DANNEGLOR! That whole place can eat a bag of dicks, the quests from the haunted inn can suck my taint, screw you elves reclaim that fuck hole yourselves!

I will say though that Gathburz has taught me how to be a better loremaster or I'd be fucking dead 8 times over from all the signatures and regular pats. Went back to my raven for the flanks since the cats aoe wasn't making up for the extra heals/damage the raven puts out. I refuse to drop my awesome improved sticky gourd (though its funny when I get in a group everyone gets out of the fire and I have to tell them specifically "no no stay in thats good fire").

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Honestly, I find FG the least fun of the Moria instances. ("WOULD YOU LIKE THAT PAN SEARED?!" "PREPARE THE WARBAND MANEUVER!!") Closely followed by 16th Hall, which I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't so very long, and there weren't such a terrible tendency of RK DPS not knowing which of their skills are AoEs. How do you make it to 60 (or even 65) having to handle multiple mobs on your own numerous times and not know which of your skills are AoE?

DD is actually not bad if you have a good group, although it certainly takes several runs before you really get a good feel for the place, especially that one boss whose adds are completely random. Forges is awesome, and can be done in 15 minutes if everyone's on top of their game. GS was never hard enough to need exploiting, which makes the slew of people who suddenly didn't know how to run it when it changed hilarious. I mean, seriously, did you kill the trash pack right before the boss? Congratulations, you are capable of killing the boss.

The Loth instances are all pretty neat, and not too bad once you know the tricks. Did they ever fix HoC so getting into the final boss's room is not stupid?

Anyway, I've got the next couple of days relatively free, so if anyone on Landroval wants to run some instances today or tomorrow, I'm more than happy to help.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No, last boss entrance is still stupid.

I think I mostly liked FG because as a tank I could shine.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I hate the exploiting on GS. Did they fix it? I mean that fight was not that hard ever, yet when I ran it on my warden everyone like "Ok we need to sploit."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I hate the exploiting on GS. Did they fix it? I mean that fight was not that hard ever, yet when I ran it on my warden everyone like "Ok we need to sploit."

I haven't been in there myself, but from what I've been told, the boss activates as soon as you enter the room, so no hugging the wall (which I never thought was a big deal), and the throne is gone, so no LoSing the AoE attack, and no parking a hunter on top of the throne to SS tank the boss.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nice so you have to actually fight the guy, well I guess being higher level will make that easier.

I finally swapped my 60 2nd age staff for a 65 third ager. I definately like the cosmetic look better for the third ager, I can't wait to get a symbol of cele and be dissapointed by the legacies...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Eh, even if you're not getting pounded on 24/7 it's useful to have some melee damage mitigation, the less you die the better I always say. Not to mention a 30 extra might or fate or whatever goes a long way towards reaching maxed out stats. Oh and shadow/wound mitigation is godly, those are the two debuffs you get raped with most.

wrt Innocence: did you do the one in Annuminas? Theres an exploration deed that is super easy on 65 because all mobs are grey. Also one inside the instances there, but you can't solo that one and nothing drops there that anyone might need except for fashion.

I found Grand Stairs, Forges and Fil Gashan the most fun. I would advice you to stay the fuck away from Dark Delvings. If you can find a group going to Hall of Mirrors or Waterworks those can be a lot of fun too, although they require all 3 of you to be on top of their game.

ICPR>OCPR, by the way. It's all about the ICPR.

Ah, totally forgot about Annuminas, I'm pretty sure I've never stepped foot inside there on my warden, I'll have to swing by there today. Gotta run a couple of the repeatables for part of the carnivore title anyways.

DD I don't think I'm stepping into again without maxed fidelity, but I figure if I can take the beating that is SH HM, the others should at least be doable.

Plus I need to try out my new tanking club; gotta leverage that hobbit 2% bonus!

edit: looks like that exploration deed was for loyalty, so that's maxed out instead; beats having to kill 320 crebain in eregion.

flammiebc on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    oops, got my deeds mixed up. Teaches me to just blurt out things at work without looking it up first.

In other news: I can solo those 18k morale mobs that drop mithrill flakes. That feels good.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You mean the ones in Mirkwood? I took down the Uruk that paths over by DG the other day on my guard, finished the fight only down 1k morale. That did indeed feel good.

Then I got wrecked by the wood troll in the Drownholt. Which is only level 63. That felt less good.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wood trolls are bitches anyway.

I killed the warg in the Wild Ruins.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wood trolls are bitches anyway.

I killed the warg in the Wild Ruins.

True dat, I hate when they are the lieutenants in a skirmish. It's like "Ahh fuck wood troll well better keep my herbalist away or she's dead."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The GS boss fight just used to be really buggy. Sometimes the two archers wouldn't come in. Sometimes the Devoted would run back and forth and never hit people (it was also impossible to generate aggro on him). The boss would randomly reset while you were fighting him, even though everyone was in the room. Man, that place made me never want to run the other dungeons. Lucky for me, I was never able to find pugs for the other dungeons and quit.

Shens on
  • Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So.....

I hit 60 earlier today, and now I have gotten a little lost. Here is why I am lost:

-I'm on 1.12.2, and finding groups for Vol 1, is hard.
    -I'm on 2.4.7(?), I know I will get a group for this eventually.
    -I am eligible to start Mirkwood, but am still fairly behind on Vol 2.
    -I can do the Book quests in Lothlorien, but it says to complete the Moria book quests first. (Recommended)
    -I have Level 59 LI's.

So.....

Should I start Mirkwood ASAP? and not worry about the book quest order (do them when I can)

Do the Lothlorien quests and move onto Mirkwood? (I am assuming that I will spoil some of the story in Moria if I skip ahead?)

Grind out traits while waiting for fellowships?

Should I level my LI's to 60 and decon them for runes/xp, or should I decon them now and get into Mirkwood LI's?

Head to 65? And go back for everything else?

Lots of questions I know, it just seems I hit 60 and all of sudden had no idea where I should be going.

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    2.6/2.8 takes forever to do, I'm still not done with 2.6, so go ahead and start 2.7/2.9. Minor spoilers aside it's the only way to get anything done.

You have to get at least 1st rep level with Loth to go to Mirk, and I would recommend getting at least 2nd so you can use their city.

Don't decon anything til you have something better ready. If you've got 2nd agers you may be keeping them for a long time, I'm still using my 60s.

Everything's easier at 65.

Scooter on
  • Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    2.6/2.8 takes forever to do, I'm still not done with 2.6, so go ahead and start 2.7/2.9. Minor spoilers aside it's the only way to get anything done.

You have to get at least 1st rep level with Loth to go to Mirk, and I would recommend getting at least 2nd so you can use their city.

Don't decon anything til you have something better ready. If you've got 2nd agers you may be keeping them for a long time, I'm still using my 60s.

Everything's easier at 65.

Excellent,

That provides a bit of focus. I have the 2nd rep tier with the Loth elves, so after I complete their book quest I guess I will head off to Mirkwood.

Thanks,

EDIT: Horrible TOTP, here is a wintery pic!
    screenshot00000a.jpg w1680.png

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    finally got out of damned moria. It was cool at first, but it kinda wears you down after a while. 6-7 levels of walking everywhere, mobs everywhere,, fast respawns, hard to find your way around. I realize, yeah, moria, but still, it gets tiresome after a week or two.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Indeed, I disliked the whole of Moria and I managed to stay out of it for as long as possible. in fact I only went in when I was done with nearly all zones from before MoM.

The whole maze thing was retarded, even the horse paths were full of weird twists and turns.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I love moria, aldo you just hate fun!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it actually made me depressed not seeing the virtual sun.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    I think it actually made me depressed not seeing the virtual sun.

It does make the questing in lothlorien interesting as you forget what its like to have a day night cycle. I was just rather pleased that they did an entire expansion underground and made each area have its own unique flavor while still retaining the overall athethic. I also enjoy the book quests in moria (just finding people for 4.7, 5.5 and 6.8 are a bitch but meh not the quests fault).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh yes, there was enough to love about the way it all looked, I'm talking from a gameplay perspective here.

You know what I love? Book14 of volume 1. Holy fuck so much epicness. Check the screenshot thread for my screenies from the last chapter.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gameplay wasn't that bad, only two zones really irk the fuck out of me (water works because of the crazy annoying aggro and quests that send you all over for them, and shadow refuge because of much the same).

Gathburz is my current hate spot, though it has made me a way better LM.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone know if it's possible to re-download one part of the massive online download? I'm missing the client_sound.bat file, which is causing all my grief and I can't personally re-download the whole thing, and I can't ask my mate to re-download a 10gig file. So, anyway to break it up or is it an all or nothing thing?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    hmm, not sure on that front, but one of us could probably upload something and PM you a link. Was it just the one file?

I stuck a vitality legacy on my tanking club on my warden today...so close to 7k morale, a couple pieces of +10 rad gear will probably bump me over the edge. Then all I need to do is find a level 65 javelin that doesn't suck.

flammiebc on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Flammie, how much power do you have?

Aldo on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    flammiebc wrote: »
    hmm, not sure on that front, but one of us could probably upload something and PM you a link. Was it just the one file?
    Yeah, problem is I'm not sure which piece that actually is. (As the downloaded LOTRO client is in 16 pieces)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bit the bullet and fired up the free trial. I've enjoyed my time in Middle-Earth thus far, but the Turbine Download Manager can go die in a fire (or in the fiery pits of Mount Doom to keep it in context). After watching it simply stop and refuse to download anything further for the tenth time I gave up and downloaded the giant installation program separately.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My blog has started to spread more on my.lotro.com writing for it is becoming rather fun, even if people can't seem to understand in character.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Now that Mirkwood has been out for a while, what do you fellows think of the combat improvements?

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Now that Mirkwood has been out for a while, what do you fellows think of the combat improvements?
    I hardly notice them on my warden. I thought so much of it, but in the end it's only behind the scenes stuff and I haven't changed my style of playing.

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.