As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe I'll actually play with other people this time around. Everytime I quit its because I get tired of soloing, quiet and alone...

Also I upgraded to MoM because ten bucks? Really? I believe I will, sir.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    Woodworkers can treat wood...

Anyways, thanks to some awesome armor crafted by myself and some excellent weapons supplied by Ravanna I am now a pimp lvl 22 Dwarf Champion. I cut through guys like butter, and it's hard as hell to take me down. God I love walking into a group of creatures and just going to town on all of them with AoE's!

I am pretty sure only Foresters can treat wood.

That is true... however, Woodworkers also get Forestry. So they can treat wood.

Actually, it's Woodsman that gets Forestry, which confused me at first. Woodworker itself is just the ability to craft wooden weapons, pieces (hafts, staves, etc.), and I guess maybe special furniture items?

gaming_librarian on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Leaving LOTRO for another superhero MMO? Weaksauce, dudes...bad form.

Entriech wrote: »
    My wife and I were happy to get into the guild last night. Our brief sojourn of questing in the vale of Andrath was enjoyable heightened by the innuendo-laden kinship chat. Thanks, folks, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of you.

Really glad to hear that, dude. Hopefully you'll get to take part in some of the offbeat shenanigans that go on in kin chat. :D

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Triple B wrote: »

What really sucks is how much LOTRO is going to be hit by the release of The Old Republic. So many insane expectations over that game.

Silas Brown on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

What really sucks is how much LOTRO is going to be hit by the release of The Old Republic. So many insane expectations over that game.

Well it depends on how The Old Republic is released. If it is brought out early and buggy they'll come flooding back.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well considering who is developing it, The Old Republic is probably not going to be out for another 3 years.

Joshmvii on
    edited July 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Well considering who is developing it, The Old Republic is probably not going to be out for another 3 years.

Yeah thats why I thought their teaser at E3 was ridiculous "Ok all cgi teaser for a game with no hard release date within a year woo I'm excited."

Anyway, I didn't know book 7 was all solo, that was a nice change of pace and I'm on to book 8.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009

I just don't get why we can't have the best of both worlds. I plan on getting into TOR myself, but I'll be damned if I give up on LOTRO all together. For me, it's all about source material. Lord of the Rings is infinitely superior to the source material of any other MMO in existence today, live or not. Warcraft? Feh. Star Wars? Cool, but it's no LOTR. Superheroes? Unless you're going to let me play in the same world with Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc...I could care less.

Triple B on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I will never play an MMO at release again. The only one I did was City of Heroes, which had a pretty flawless release, but I'd rather not pay for the six month balancing experiment usually follows a launch.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I just don't get why we can't have the best of both worlds. I plan on getting into TOR myself, but I'll be damned if I give up on LOTRO all together. For me, it's all about source material. Lord of the Rings is infinitely superior to the source material of any other MMO in existence today, live or not. Warcraft? Feh. Star Wars? Cool, but it's no LOTR. Superheroes? Unless you're going to let me play in the same world with Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc...I could care less.

Please, PLEASE let DC Universe Online be good. Somehow.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    So I haven't played in well over a year and don't really remember anything about the game besides a lot of pie delivery in The Shire.

What class would you guys say is the most beginner friendly? Something that can solo well preferably because I don't have any friends playing the game with me this time around.

Fig-D on
    edited July 2009
    Hunter. And you'll have plenty of people to play with if you join TBS. :D

Triple B on
  • ImkishImkish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Warden is extremely solo friendly, if a bit intensive (you're going to have stickies everywhere with your "combos" written down). It can also get a bit hectic in groups as a tank, since people tend to continue with their slash and burn approach to the game and don't let you build up hate or even let you pull (as a warden, you can frontload some very nice ranged threat, especially with the right jav).

It can be annoying to be in a group that continues to advertise that they need a tank after you've joined. When you remind them that you ARE a tank, they sort of chuckle. The chuckles are definitely unfounded.

Imkish on
    edited July 2009
    I was looking at the Warden, but I'm wary of playing a tank class because MMOs have trained me that while mobs won't be able to kill me the passage of time from killing said mobs will. Is that the case will LotRO too or are tanks a bit more reasonable to level?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but even when I played over a year ago I had only played a Minstrel and a Burglar (and not very high in level either).

Fig-D on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I've been thinking about the reasons, cause on paper LOTRO should be the better game. Bigger fanbase, better lore, more mature playerbase, fantastically written quests and environments. What I eventually decided is that it just comes down to a question of fun. Even when I was still subbed to LOTRO I barely logged in or played the game. I wasn't really having fun with it. It still feels like exactly the same MMO I've been playing since FFXI. Champions might not have the lore backing it up, or the exquisitely written quests or the environment of Angmar, but god damn is it fun to fly around and shoot things with fire out of your eyes. Or to do a quest that involves [NDA REDACTED]. I mean, who couldn't love this, the enemies actually [NDA REDACTED]!

Maybe with the time that's passed LOTRO will have a little bit of the pull, I'm still planning on reinstalling the game for the free week. But I'm actually having fun with Champions and I'm not going to feel bad about it or call it "bad form."

Ok, so I can't tell you about some of this stuff cause of the NDA. But trust me, it's awesome. And the game is littered with pop culture references, which I absolutely adore.

freakish light on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I was looking at the Warden, but I'm wary of playing a tank class because MMOs have trained me that while mobs won't be able to kill me the passage of time from killing said mobs will. Is that the case will LotRO too or are tanks a bit more reasonable to level?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but even when I played over a year ago I had only played a Minstrel and a Burglar (and not very high in level either).

Warden is able to solo pretty well, at least up until 21, which is where I currently am. My guy has mediocre gear and is able to solo pretty well. And by pretty well I mean great. I've had no problems taking down mobs quickly. Wardens are decent dps, at least in low levels.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I levelled my Paladin 1-70 as Prot in WoW before it was anything but a very slow and painful experience, so I know where you're coming from. I have a Dwarven Guardian I'm playing now(Level 16, so I don't even have overpower yet) and it's not slow at all to quest. Sure, it's not as fast as a hunter, but I also can't die, and it's not really slow, just slower relatively.

Joshmvii on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a 55 warden and he can solo fairly well. I can stomach 3 mobs of ~equal level at once. I'm not so sure about my tanking abilities, though. I don't have a direct taunt, I have to build up my gambits to build up threat and usually there is some cunt of a hunter standing behind me pew pew pewing.

The best thing you can do in that case is to just let it go and let the hunter kite.

Aldo on
    edited July 2009
    Wow, I'm having a lot of fun with Warden! One red attack + one green attack = The Mighty Foot from Duke Nukem? That's awesome! I'm just about out of the Intro area, I'll finish it up tomorrow.

EDIT: I lied, Intro done. Work is going to suck tomorrow...

Fig-D on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just did a quest with a couple Wardens, and I was wowed by their ability to tank and deal damage. That they allowed me to sully their greatness with my meager ballads is an honor I can only just bare.

Silas Brown on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just hung up a couple new trophies in the kin-house. Hope you all like salmon.

Vray on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm only level 19, but I love my warden. Given 3-5 seconds, you can set yourself up for whatever the situation calls for. Between my versatility, and my wife's RK, we just plow through the content. And I can hold threat against her perfectly, when she lets me.

"Don't engage the mob yet I'm about to ambu-- okay, now I can't do that, please just hold off until I can-- goddamnit, fine, you tank it. I'm going to go over behind a tree and yell at a squirrel."

Entriech on
    edited July 2009
    I'm only level 19, but I love my warden. Given 3-5 seconds, you can set yourself up for whatever the situation calls for. Between my versatility, and my wife's RK, we just plow through the content. And I can hold threat against her perfectly, when she lets me.

"Don't engage the mob yet I'm about to ambu-- okay, now I can't do that, please just hold off until I can-- goddamnit, fine, you tank it. I'm going to go over behind a tree and yell at a squirrel."

Heh heh. Warden/RK strikes me as the perfect combination. Glad you guys are having fun, just make sure you don't end up in this situation, good sir.

Triple B on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

This sounds almost exactly like how it is when I'm playing my Warden and my fiancee is playing her minstrel.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Yeah from when I saw my wife on her warden, they are a fairly efficient killer, and being able to muster to locations make traveling from place to place way easier. Plus they get some bitching shields.

Burglars are also efficient solo'rs with stealth, a couple emergency dodge moves, and the ability to heal yourself/stun your enemy/crowd control/and weaken the enemy, is very useful.

Minnies seem one of the harder to level solo, if only because they are the only real pure healer in the game.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    Maybe that's why I'm enjoying Warden so much. I played mostly Minstrel the first time around, and then Burglar but I didn't get very far with him. I think I only had stealth, a direct damage and a DOT. Maybe one dodge move.

Fig-D on
    edited July 2009
    Maybe that's why I'm enjoying Warden so much. I played mostly Minstrel the first time around, and then Burglar but I didn't get very far with him. I think I only had stealth, a direct damage and a DOT. Maybe one dodge move.

I'm seriously thinking of leveling a warden, if only so with my wifes captain that she's working on, we could get groups easier. I saw a warden tank once and it was a thing of freaking beauty, they don't get hit that hard (seems like they are an evasion tank over a mitigation) and seeing their huge spears and thumping shields is great from just a cinematic view point.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't forget the screaming. At least 40% of our abilities involve screaming at the monsters.

Entriech on
    edited July 2009
    Don't forget the screaming. At least 40% of our abilities involve screaming at the monsters.

Guards scream too, I love the screaming. I just like the anims you do in this game for things. Like the shield slam as a dwarf is satisfying. Same as a warden, nice push forward with a good old THUMP!

I would like an emote for shield thumping. It would be cool to have a group of players just thumping their shield making ready for war.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    I have to say LOTRO really puts the RP back into MMORPG. You can give your character a last name, select any one of a bunch of cool titles, give them a back story, select an outfit you like that fits the character the way you see them, play music just to play it, put up trophies in your house. And then the quests all have character and backstory behind what you are doing and why, and the animations all kind of psyche you up as a player.

I kind of hate how my spotty connection back in december turned me off from this fantastic game.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Guards scream too, I love the screaming. I just like the anims you do in this game for things. Like the shield slam as a dwarf is satisfying. Same as a warden, nice push forward with a good old THUMP!

I would like an emote for shield thumping. It would be cool to have a group of players just thumping their shield making ready for war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReMfvamQ28

I can get behind this.

Triple B on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I'm seriously thinking of leveling a warden, if only so with my wifes captain that she's working on, we could get groups easier. I saw a warden tank once and it was a thing of freaking beauty, they don't get hit that hard (seems like they are an evasion tank over a mitigation) and seeing their huge spears and thumping shields is great from just a cinematic view point.

Most quest I'm doing require at least 3 folks, so the line 'me and my wife would like to join' is a godsend for most: it means you can immediately do the quest or advertise 'LFM 3/6 got tank & healer' which is awesome.

Aldo on
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

Most quest I'm doing require at least 3 folks, so the line 'me and my wife would like to join' is a godsend for most: it means you can immediately do the quest or advertise 'LFM 3/6 got tank & healer' which is awesome.

Yeah right now I just have a burg and she's working on a captain, so I figure warden, captain would be more beneficial, than burg captain, though I know burgs are good cc, my server tends to like LM's more.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Guardians have an aoe agro skill where you thump your shield. Problem is that you can't use it until after you block an attack.

Vray on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This thread got me. I've been trying for a new to me MMORPG for a while. Blazed through DDO didn't care for it. WaR is awesome but my PC doesn't pack the right punch. Downloaded this trial last night, the next thing I knew it was 6AM. I didn't even play out the free time. I purchased it just now. I like this game a bitch tone. That's metric. So much personality.

I played around with all the classes pretty much and decided on one.

Just re-rolled onto Landroval, my primary is Corvidae:Man:Lore Master. I'll look to join the Kinship once I am through with the INTRO: lines.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
    edited July 2009
    I hope you enjoy your stay 2868. I think LOTRO has something for everyone but works better for those who like a bit more rp in their mmo.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have to say LOTRO really puts the RP back into MMORPG. You can give your character a last name, select any one of a bunch of cool titles, give them a back story, select an outfit you like that fits the character the way you see them, play music just to play it, put up trophies in your house. And then the quests all have character and backstory behind what you are doing and why, and the animations all kind of psyche you up as a player.

I kind of hate how my spotty connection back in december turned me off from this fantastic game.

What server you on? I've been playing again recently on Landroval.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited July 2009
    Does LotRO just close itself on anyone else? It seems like every third time I launch the game it closes before reaching the character select screen. No error message, no freeze, just *pop* gone.

EDIT: Just did it again... what the...

EDIT EDIT: Huh... three times in a row now. Time to restart my PC.

EDIT x 3: Now I'm getting the message: "Unable to connect to World Queue. Please try again." Does that mean Landroval is down right now? Or is it having problems with my connection?

Fig-D on
    edited July 2009

What server you on? I've been playing again recently on Landroval.

I'm on Vilya.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    2868 wrote: »
    This thread got me. I've been trying for a new to me MMORPG for a while. Blazed through DDO didn't care for it. WaR is awesome but my PC doesn't pack the right punch. Downloaded this trial last night, the next thing I knew it was 6AM. I didn't even play out the free time. I purchased it just now. I like this game a bitch tone. That's metric. So much personality.

I played around with all the classes pretty much and decided on one.

Just re-rolled onto Landroval, my primary is Corvidae:Man:Lore Master. I'll look to join the Kinship once I am through with the INTRO: lines.

Excellent news, sir. I look forward to seeing you in Middle-Earth. :)

I'm on Vilya.

If you roll on Landroval, there's an awesome PA kinship waiting for you. Just sayin'. :winky:

Triple B on
This discussion has been closed.