As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

1585960616264»

• JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guys, have you seen the new patch notes? The new book update seemed kind of meh at first (other than possibiity to solo Vol 1), but there is some nice stuff there. I love the minni skill upgarde :

"Level 64 Skill Upgrades!
    Minstrel
    * Lyric of the Hammerhand - Adds immunity from induction knockback."

That's a great help when your tank can't keep aggro and you are being hit by mobs you can't kill, or you blow hard mode (like Grand Stairs or this stupid third boss in SG). I can pop the bubble and keep on healing. I should have enough power to throw couple Bolster Courage's, or Fellowship Heart.

Also, I can't wait for +Fate food <3. My wisdom is capped (with self buff), so I could use me some fate food.

JohanFlick on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow nice patch notes. I like a lot of things on there (clobber becomes even more useful!) and I noticed this one: "# Soldier healing skills will no longer be decreased by armour." That'll make my herbalist a lot more useful.

*e: notes are here http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=316278

Aldo on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    Guys, have you seen the new patch notes? The new book update seemed kind of meh at first (other than possibiity to solo Vol 1), but there is some nice stuff there. I love the minni skill upgarde :

"Level 64 Skill Upgrades!
    Minstrel
    * Lyric of the Hammerhand - Adds immunity from induction knockback."

That's a great help when your tank can't keep aggro and you are being hit by mobs you can't kill, or you blow hard mode (like Grand Stairs or this stupid third boss in SG). I can pop the bubble and keep on healing. I should have enough power to throw couple Bolster Courage's, or Fellowship Heart.

Also, I can't wait for +Fate food <3. My wisdom is capped (with self buff), so I could use me some fate food.

Didn't the Forochel fish food give +Fate? Or was it just +Will?

(Cue about 15 people going, "Forochel fish food?")

Also, the most imporant thing I read in the patch notes:
    Hounding Fear has been removed from Landscape and Skirmishes.

I'm tempted to bold that and make it about 3 inches tall.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As planned, I got on last night with my LM for quest to open up T3 Jeweler, which ended up being easier than I expected, then levelled him to 22 (matching my Warden), returned to Bree and finished T2 mastery just by polishing all my opals and bloodstones and upgrading all my other guys' jewelry -- and I still have a few more pieces to make, so I'm going to go for some crit items sometime this weekend after my other Prospectors gather some more silver.

I just realized that I haven't done Othrongroth yet with any of my guys on Landroval -- on Nimrodel, I think I did it at around 21-23 with all my guys (except Burglar, which I had created but never played), all soloed it, and all but LM and Cap succeeded on the first try (I think I was still trying to use their pets like a WoW Hunter, which is pure fail in tough fights). Does anyone here know if the last patch changed that at all? I remember it as being challenging but doable if you used all of your available abilities properly -- Champ and Guard seemed to have the easiest time with it, but maybe they were a level or so higher when they did it.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited February 2010
    And that was another BG raid falling through due to lack of sign-ups. :( My kin needs more lv65s with 120 rad and proper traits.

Aldo on
    edited February 2010
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    Didn't the Forochel fish food give +Fate? Or was it just +Will?

I'm pretty sure fishing only gives +Will food. If I'm wrong, please let me know how to get the +Fate recipe. I could really use some more Fate on my minnie.

JohanFlick on
    edited February 2010
    What's your jewelry like? My minstrel is just under 550 Fate unbuffed (which as I like to point out is a good spot to stop, since minstrel and captain buffs will take you the rest of the way to the cap), and aside from a pair of glowing aureate rings of tactics, I'm pretty sure he's not wearing anything terribly special.

Simon Moon on
    edited February 2010
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    What's your jewelry like? My minstrel is just under 550 Fate unbuffed (which as I like to point out is a good spot to stop, since minstrel and captain buffs will take you the rest of the way to the cap), and aside from a pair of glowing aureate rings of tactics, I'm pretty sure he's not wearing anything terribly special.

I got all kinds of jewellery, except for good pocket item. I could buff my Fate by switching jewellery and traits, but that would affect my morale and/or willpower. That's why some +Fate food would be great for me.

JohanFlick on
  • KesahKesah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Played this when it first came out, kinda lost interest and wandered away shortly after hitting 50 on my Hunter.

Thinking about trying it again, as I'm on a (hopefully permanent) break from WoW. I'd like to play something that runs around smacking things with a big 2 handed weapon. However, I can't decide between a Champion or a Guardian. Not overly interested in the Captain.

I guess a Guardian I'd likely be asked to tank in groups, but from what I've read they're not as squishy as a Champion. Any suggestions on which way to go for leveling/pvmp?

Kesah on
  • iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm really excited about:

this:
    Players may now add notes to their friend and ignore lists

I still have people on my friend list, that I say "where the hell do I know them from?"

and this:
    Vendors will now be willing to sell you items that fit in your existing stacks, even when your inventory has no empty slots in it.

This has irritated me too many times to talk about

and this:
    Gathburz - Sign of the Malledhrim - Players can now guard the fort when a flag is planted rather than just the flag itself on the platform.

C'mon.. who loves accidentally walking off the platform so you have to start all over?

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
    edited February 2010
    Kesah wrote: »
    Played this when it first came out, kinda lost interest and wandered away shortly after hitting 50 on my Hunter.

Thinking about trying it again, as I'm on a (hopefully permanent) break from WoW. I'd like to play something that runs around smacking things with a big 2 handed weapon. However, I can't decide between a Champion or a Guardian. Not overly interested in the Captain.

I guess a Guardian I'd likely be asked to tank in groups, but from what I've read they're not as squishy as a Champion. Any suggestions on which way to go for leveling/pvmp?
    - Champions are melee dps with heavy armour, they're not squishy at all and you'll be invited to groups mostly to interupt casters and dps down everything else.

- Guardians were originally the only tank class (later joined by the Wardens), they can do decent dps with a big 2H, but they will not be invited to groups as dps, only as tanks.

- Captains are buffbots in heavy armour, they're also not squishy, but they will only be invited to groups for their very nice buffs and group support.

And that's the only 3 classes that can wield 2H weapons.

Aldo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

As a Guardian you'll rarely be using 2-handers, I only do when fighting greys. A guardian's shield is their life.

Scooter on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, a well-played Guard with a 2h is not quite as effective as a Champ.

Whereas a well-played Guard with a sword-and-board can solo at-level elites and walk away at pretty close to full morale.

Simon Moon on
  • KesahKesah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Decided to give em both a shot, get em to 20 or so as that shouldn't take too long. Champion is 17, haven't run into anything I haven't been able to handle so far. (Except an unavoidable afk in a not so safe area that cost me the Undying title).

EDIT: Meant to ask this in my earlier post, but forgot: I only have up to Mines of Moria, would getting Mirkwood speed up the leveling process in any way, or is it something that can wait till I hit max level for Moria?

Kesah on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what is the deal with the level 50 Angarim in the Trollshaws? They seem wildly out of place level wise. I've managed to avoid them, but I'm wondering what the point of them is.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited February 2010
    EDIT: Meant to ask this in my earlier post, but forgot: I only have up to Mines of Moria, would getting Mirkwood speed up the leveling process in any way, or is it something that can wait till I hit max level for Moria?

I don't think you need SoM until you are 58 or so. There is really nothing worth getting for you.

JohanFlick on
    edited February 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    So what is the deal with the level 50 Angarim in the Trollshaws? They seem wildly out of place level wise. I've managed to avoid them, but I'm wondering what the point of them is.

They are for Epic quest, 1.14.something

JohanFlick on
    edited February 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    They're looking for something. Digging for dark secrets.

Aldo on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

As a Guardian you'll rarely be using 2-handers, I only do when fighting greys. A guardian's shield is their life.

Over the weekend I soloed Othrongroth with a few of my level 21's, including my Guardian. I started off in Overpower mode with a 2H, but switched back to shield mode before getting to the tougher parts. I might've been able to do it all in 2H mode, but I still feel more comfortable having that heal available (and the extra defense) when things are tough. Likewise, I started it with my Minstrel in Warspeech mode, but took it off for the last couple of fights (and even then almost died due to running out of power, barely escaped to reset the last fight -- didn't know I could do that).

If you're going to be having mainly 1-on-1 fights, though, 2H with Overpower for Guardian does take them down a little faster; however, if you go sword and board in parry mode, and the parries are firing off often enough, I don't know if it's that much of a difference.

Also, I'm not sure that Champ is at his best with a 2H -- I think some of his abilities are based on dual-wielding, but not sure how much that affects his overall damage output. If you're just looking for big melee dps, though, this is your guy.

Finally, I wouldn't rule out Captain too soon, who is the main two-hander. He does require more attention to detail, but this class is growing on me; soloed Othrongroth almost as easily as Guardian this time around -- of the 4 on Landroval who have done it so far, Minstrel has been the only really close call (even LM sailed through nicely, now that I've shed my WoW hunter/pet thinking for both him and Cap), and I already know how to get through on Champ (easy), Warden (easy), Hunter (lots of trapping), and RK (healing totems for both the buff and to draw aggro against multiples). Burglar is the only class I haven't done it with yet.

Aldo/Simon/Scooter/Aaron: Thanks for the input on AHing my scholar's dyes. I sold a stack of 10 gold dyes for 40s over the weekend -- maybe not eye-popping, but at 8X vendor return, I count it as a win. While we have all these experts here, has the recent crafting revamp nerfed the values of treated/untreated wood or ores/bars, especially the T1/T2 ones that I probably have more of than I'll ever use? On Nimrodel before the patch, I could regularly get at least 3X vendor, usually 4-5X, for these. My main concern about these is that the crafting revamp at least appears to reduce the amount of cross-vocation mats needed, which would suggest lower AH prices, but maybe I'm missing something here...

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited February 2010
    I haven't been keeping track of the prices of raw goods at all, ever since I'm picking up everything on two toons (one 20, the other 31) I haven't felt the need to go to AH. Considering how annoying it is to find enough Ash branches for T2 of woodworker I do imagine they sell quite well.

The only thing that will net you a small fortune is scholar mats, but then again: if you're leveling a scholar you might as well make stacks of potions out of it, everyone needs potions, including your alts.

--
    I solo'd most of Garth Agarwen on my 65 warden today, it wasn't difficult, but it sure was annoying. Especially the Red Maiden wing of the instance, the two wights in front of it healed each other, stunned me and ran away. Eventually I easily killed one because the other got stuck in the scenery. Really annoying fight. :x Red Maiden and Ivar were far easier, because I could just focus on the boss and my heals and by leaving everything else alive I even got HM finished :P.

Not that I had any use out of the tokens, I only got 3 and didn't feel like grinding out 2 more for weak hope token rewards. I decided on running the instance to get some neat loot for my alts. Unfortunately most things that dropped were for my minstrel, the one toon I don't really care for.

The changes to GA are amazing, instead of the one big instance with tons of trash it's now way more focused and because it is split in 2 it is far easier to quickly do something. I remember back in the days I really wanted to enjoy the whole instance, so I tried to run it a few times. Eventually I got all the keys and I could get groups together a bit easier by advertising it as a 'Red Maiden Run', with all the keys you could skip a lot of the content and almost beeline it to the part where the maiden was being protected. (either by jumping on a half crumbled wall where now the entrance to the Red Maiden instance is or by going in the direction of Ivar, but taking a left turn up the stairs right before entering the swampy graveyard).

It's still annoying that these low level instances take so long to run completely. School and Library in Eregion are way more fun.

Aldo on
    edited February 2010
    Glornt wrote: »
    however, if you go sword and board in parry mode, and the parries are firing off often enough, I don't know if it's that much of a difference.

As someone who leveled a Guard back when parry stance was our dps stance, there is a huge difference. Trust me.
    Also, I'm not sure that Champ is at his best with a 2H -- I think some of his abilities are based on dual-wielding, but not sure how much that affects his overall damage output. If you're just looking for big melee dps, though, this is your guy.

The conventional wisdom is that, with the changes made to the combat system when Mirkwood came out, a 2H weapon on a champ is best for single target dps, with dual-wielding getting the edge in multiple mob fights.
    Has the recent crafting revamp nerfed the values of treated/untreated wood or ores/bars, especially the T1/T2 ones that I probably have more of than I'll ever use?

Untreated ore will always sell, no matter what. The market for low level wood has never been good on Landroval, aside from occasional random spikes due to population fluctuations. It has been my experience that it's not usually worth it until you get to lebethron. And in all honesty, the tier that you'll end up with the most of is tier 3. You spend forever leveling in areas that spawn t3 nodes.
    Aldo wrote: »
    It's still annoying that these low level instances take so long to run completely. School and Library in Eregion are way more fun.

Amen! I love the School and Library, and it annoys me greatly that the rest of the 3-man instances fail to be as awesome.

Simon Moon on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright, snow day, that means threads get closed

Scooter on
This discussion has been closed.