As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playing PS3 on my monitor at 1080p, more jaggies than I would like.

DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzleRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So yeah, I play my PS3 on my computer monitor monitor using an HDMI cable, and there are quite a few jaggies. Some games it's barely an issue, like in MGS4 and Uncharted, but they are really bad in inFAMOUS.

Is there any way to get get rid of them or tone them down a bit? I lowered the sharpness on my monitor to zero, and it was kind of effective, but not effective enough. Maybe if I set my PS3 display to a lower resolution?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
*TyCart*_banner.jpg
DeMoN on

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How big is the screen, and how far away are you sitting?

Also, you may want to adjust the TV's settings. HD sets seem to require a bit more fine tuning than old SD sets.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a 24 inch widescreen monitor. I usually try to sit about 4 feet away from it.

I would try to mess with settings but the only one I really seem to have control over is sharpness.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, MOST ps3 games are NOT supposed to played at 1080p. Anything you are doing to get them at that rez could be causing it. Let the ps3 handle the resolution automagically and it will probably work better.

To check what resolutions it should be at, check the back of the game box and it should tell you (near the # of players, etc).

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The PS3 actually tried to set automatically and chose 1080i, which just looked like a horrible blurry mess. And apparently mgs4 does support 1080p, and while the jaggies don't look too bad, they are definitely distracting at times.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I concur, set your PS3 to automagic the resolution, or set it to whatever your set's native resolution is(likely 720p).

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It may just be that 720p->1080p upscaling is making things look like shit. By default the PS3 won't upscale to 1080p unless you uncheck all other available ones, so it could just be that plus the lack of FSAA (or use of Quincunx AA) on PS3 games that's jaggifying things.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It may just be that 720p->1080p upscaling is making things look like shit. By default the PS3 won't upscale to 1080p unless you uncheck all other available ones, so it could just be that plus the lack of FSAA (or use of Quincunx AA) on PS3 games that's jaggifying things.

I think this right here has a good chance at being the culprit.

No matter how much the console gamers want to think their systems are now equal to PCs, none of them can do 1920x1080p with 4xAA on truly graphics-oriented games. It's funny to me that the OP calls out inFamous in his post...I also noticed jaggies being of particular issue in GTA IV. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 is using AA at 720p but not at 1080p. Think about it...almost ALL games you buy from the store for the PS3 are 720p. But yet MGS4 is 1080p. It's not like the hardware changed...see if the jaggies are as bad in 720p.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well to be fair it's the inFamous demo. Not sure if the full version will look any different.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My inFAMOUS disc says it only supports 720p.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

I think this right here has a good chance at being the culprit.

No matter how much the console gamers want to think their systems are now equal to PCs, none of them can do 1920x1080p with 4xAA on truly graphics-oriented games. It's funny to me that the OP calls out inFamous in his post...I also noticed jaggies being of particular issue in GTA IV. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 is using AA at 720p but not at 1080p. Think about it...almost ALL games you buy from the store for the PS3 are 720p. But yet MGS4 is 1080p. It's not like the hardware changed...see if the jaggies are as bad in 720p.

Eh? MGS 4 wasn't even 720p

Rook on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Back of the box says mgs4 supports 1080p

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

The box just lists what it'll upscale the output too, has nothing to do with the actual rendering resolution.

Rook on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

The box just lists what it'll upscale the output too, has nothing to do with the actual rendering resolution.

Yeah, witness the abloo blooing whenever a game renders to an internal 1024x576 buffer before doing an upscale to 720p.

Or god help us if it's 960x540xBlurAA.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the main thing for the OP to do here is try it on a real TV, preferably from a decent brand (Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/Vizio, or maybe even Sharp/LG). If the jaggies go away your monitor may just suck. If you still notice the jaggies, unfortunately your solution is to build a better computer than the PS3 that can handle 4xAA and play your games on that.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    CenturionCenturion Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If, as it seems, we're talking about a 24" computer monitor, the native resolution is most likely 1920 x 1200. So maybe the screen just has horrible scaling logic for going from 1920 x 1080 (=1080p) to 1920 x 1200.

Centurion on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well the inFamous demo and The force unleased demos played at 480p for me only where as the full version of TFU did upscale correctly. so there is that. Maybe demos have weird hard settings?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Centurion wrote: »
    If, as it seems, we're talking about a 24" computer monitor, the native resolution is most likely 1920 x 1200. So maybe the screen just has horrible scaling logic for going from 1920 x 1080 (=1080p) to 1920 x 1200.
    Yeah, that's a possibility. There are some that have 1920x1080 native, but I think they're in the minority. In general, monitors never work quite as well as dedicated TVs for displaying media that was formatted for television, unless you're always getting a preprocessed signal that exactly matches the monitor's native resolution. This is because quality dedicated scaling and image processing chips are not cheap, and the ones included in the average LCD computer monitor are pretty weaksauce compared to what even a budget flat panel TV is equipped with.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just got meself a PS3 and a new 24" monitor (1080p natively). Basically the same setup as the OP and reacted just as he did when I started up the infamous Demo. MGS4 and Valkyrie chronicles look real good however.

My research have led me to this conclusion: Upscaling is not the issue here, it's simply the lack of AA. For the xbox, the programmers don't need to bother, there's a hardware solution in there that always give 2XAA, for the ps3, not so much. Why the dumbasses didn't bother to implement it in Infamous is beyond me though.

The reason for the jaggies being so noticeable on my computer screen is simply because I'm close enough to see them. I plugged the ps3 in to my 42" TV and they weren't as noticeable sitting on the couch, when I moved in for a closer look the image quality was (bascially) the same.

Oh, and the number on the back of the box on my MGS4 says 720p. I read somewhere that in EU they aren't allowed to write "supports up to" because that is just nonsense to fool people.

Movitz on