As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New life form or disgusting viral?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    teratoma snipped
    Apparently those types of tumors can contain hair and partially-grown organs or body parts. D:

...and teeth.

Yeah.

For some reason, that reminded me of this (PNSFW?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6IPjfgRkxk

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so it's neither a new life form nor a disgusting viral....so disappointing.

Wouldn't have expected something like that to grow so big in the sewers though. So freaky.

Dman on
  • Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

I dont know what is more disturbing.

That they are real creatures, or that Bayou rednecks will just fish alien looking facehugger pods out of the swamp and play with them.

Marauder on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Now if whoever made that video really wanted to nauseate someone, they could have had the things extrude some kind of waste from some random holes.

BTW, did you guys know that a snail's anus is right beside its head? I was watching a snail crawl around once and thought that the hole near its head was for respiration. Boy was I surprised!

Still eating, BTW.

I think this is one of the grossest videos I've seen:

[u rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djv0lS96_gI[/url]

Apparently those types of tumors can contain hair and partially-grown organs or body parts. D:

WHY DID I CLICK PLAY

That was...um...much more disgusting than the first video.

Still didn't gag, though!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marauder wrote: »
    I dont know what is more disturbing.

That they are real creatures, or that Bayou rednecks will just fish alien looking facehugger pods out of the swamp and play with them.

Obviously, you've never grown up in the Deep South. =)

Chanus on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just noticed something odd in the related videos list: Why the fuck are people putting videos of themselves popping their own zits on Youtube?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...Why ... Youtube?

Those two words don't go together. =)

Chanus on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    so it's neither a new life form nor a disgusting viral....so disappointing.

Wouldn't have expected something like that to grow so big in the sewers though. So freaky.

How big is it though? It's hard to judge scale from the video, but I kind of assumed it was a pipe about 30cm wide.

EDIT: Also apparently the video is now private.

japan on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just noticed something odd in the related videos list: Why the fuck are people putting videos of themselves popping their own zits on Youtube?

Because there are people who like watching them.

Also, because people put up videos of anything and everything.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnwDHavlq_M

(I have no idea what the hell that video is about)

mrflippy on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aww, private video is private. I want to see the living boogers.

Or youtube hates me, which probably isn't the worst thing.

edit: works now. ew.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Now if whoever made that video really wanted to nauseate someone, they could have had the things extrude some kind of waste from some random holes.

BTW, did you guys know that a snail's anus is right beside its head? I was watching a snail crawl around once and thought that the hole near its head was for respiration. Boy was I surprised!

Still eating, BTW.

It is disappointing to me that I don't recall the name for the type of developement cycle that snails go through where their body turns over on itself making the head right next to the anus. Something like tourniquet but I am failing to find it online.

Torsion. It's a characteristic of mollusc species, particularly aquatic ones.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh god, these things are real

How will I sleep at night

A BLOG SAYS IT IS REAL! EVERYONE RUN!

....yeah no.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

Oh god, these things are real

How will I sleep at night

A BLOG SAYS IT IS REAL! EVERYONE RUN!

....yeah no.

Well if they are bryozoa then what's in the video is a massive clump of millimeter-long animals, not some huge organy mass. Like a coral reef as imagined by H.P. Lovecraft.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eww.

If it's real, i doubt it's anything new. Remember fungi/bacterium/bumps in the night grow in all sorts of weird places.

If it's a viral, eww.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It looks nothing like bryozoa.

Edit: Or maybe it does: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=bryozoa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

And if people here live so close to these sewers why aren't they investigating?

rayofash on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Still eating, BTW.

It is disappointing to me that I don't recall the name for the type of developement cycle that snails go through where their body turns over on itself making the head right next to the anus. Something like tourniquet but I am failing to find it online.

Torsion. It's a characteristic of mollusc species, particularly aquatic ones.

Thank you. That was bugging me.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    rayofash wrote: »

Edit: Or maybe it does: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=bryozoa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Um, because that video was the investigation? It was taken by a line-crawling robot that goes through sewers to investigate stuff. Like that.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Um, because that video was the investigation? It was taken by a robot that goes through sewers to investigate stuff. Like that.

Yes but that's the video that's in question.

rayofash on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Um, because that video was the investigation? It was taken by a robot that goes through sewers to investigate stuff. Like that.

Yes but that's the video that's in question.

Well some other person thats in Raleigh gets to go down there. It would be interesting, but honestly, I think Ill pass.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It seems like that video is just a scale model of a sewer system, especially when looking at the way the water flows. This is coming from a dude who works in special effects.

Although nothing about the organisms themselves stick out as CG, yet I wouldn't exactly be blown away if they were.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bryozoan.jpg
    See, more in a sewer! Apparently there are over 8,000 species of them.

Even if it is special effects in the video, things like that exist.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Sewer has nards!

Chanus on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What size are we assuming this sewer to be? Camera crawlers are not exactly large. I'm fairly certain it's not a man-size sewer.

japan on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So which is worse, believing something to be real only to find out later that it's fake, or thinking something is fake that later turns out to be real?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    japan wrote:
    What size are we assuming this sewer to be? Camera crawlers are not exactly large. I'm fairly certain it's not a man-size sewer.

That would make sense.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Colonial invertebrates are by far the most terrifying beasts.

I haven't seen the video but if something is disgusting and claims to be a marine invertebrate it's probably real.

Qingu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

The whole sponge-blender thing freaks me right the fuck out.

I mean, it's cool, and I understand why it happens, but it's freaky-cool.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The big ones kind of look like a really slimy fruit, but the small ones in the sewer (assuming they are real) are a lot more disgusting. I hate when those veiny threads suck inwards when they shine light on it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I hate the ocean so much.

rayofash on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eh, while the video was interesting, I'm not feeling the skin-crawling that some of you guys are.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Eh, while the video was interesting, I'm not feeling the skin-crawling that some of you guys are.
    Not even if you imagine that that lump is somewhere deep inside your gut and it's doing that sucky-in-thing to your spleen?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The question Snake would ask is, "Are they edible?"

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those are the kinds of things I imagine live inside all water pipes, clean or sewer. I try not to think about it when I shower.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That is really cool. I must have watched too much Star Trek, though, because I didn't find it disgusting at all. I'd be thrilled to stumble across something so strange.

When I first saw the video, I thought it might be a slime mold—but that doesn't seem right given how it moves. Neither should it be a bryozoan colony, because as far as I have read they don't move like that or have the sort of visible tissue differentiation.

While researching I saw a comment that eventually led me to this site which seems to make a good case for the object being a clump of tubifex worms.

For reference, the worms are known to live in sewers and heavily polluted areas, to undulate almost rhythmically, and are about the right color. Some species are sold freeze-dried or fresh as food for aquarium fish.

I think it's a slimy clump of tubifex worms.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

I haven't seen the video but if something is disgusting and claims to be a marine invertebrate it's probably real.
    You're forgetting about the whole new levels up fucked-upititude that the arthropods can reach

Although invertebrates in general do have a way of provoking the "kill it with fire" response, and the creepy ones with no discernable symmetry are especially bad for it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I was a little kid I always wanted to go exploring in the storm drains around my house.

Then I saw movies like Ghostbusters, Mimic, and The Thing, and started imagining shit like this living down there. Discovering that it really might be down there is not heartening. :(

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you know how grossed out we are by all these weird organic masses of undulating, pulsing flesh and sacs of fluid?

imagine encountering an alien made of silicone plates and shit

he'd like at you and go "ewwww look at that sloppy flesh thing, all...sloughing all over the place."

try to have some empathy here.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you know how grossed out we are by all these weird organic masses of undulating, pulsing flesh and sacs of fluid?

he'd like at you and go "ewwww look at that sloppy flesh thing, all...sloughing all over the place."

To be fair, we are disgusting.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    templewulf wrote: »

To be fair, we are disgusting.
    This is the main reason, other than immortality, that I'm really looking forward to the Singularity. I want my robit body.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    The question Snake would ask is, "Are they edible?"

"So Paramedic, how do they taste?"

"...excuse me?"

"The bryozoa, how do they taste?"

"Uhh..."

"I mean they look a little like fruit, so they should taste pretty good, right?"

"...the hell is wrong with you?"

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png