As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Supreme Court of Minnesota Votes in Favor of Franken

RecklessReckless Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/court-rules-franken-has-won-senate-seat/?ref=global-home
NYTimes wrote:
The Minnesota Supreme Court has just issued its long-awaited judgment in the Senate race, declaring that Democrat Al Franken is the winner.

The 32-page unanimous decision by the state’s highest court was released after a seven-months long battle over the seat formerly held by Norm Coleman. On every ground, the judicial panel rejected Mr. Coleman’s claims of trial errors or constitutional violations, and decided that Mr. Franken’s election should be certified by the state as valid.

Gov. Tim Pawlenty had indicated as late as Monday that he was willing to certify Mr. Franken as the winner once the state’s highest court decided the recount and Mr. Coleman’s battle. On CNN on Sunday, Mr. Pawlenty said: “I’m prepared to sign it as soon as they give the green light.”

Asked what he would do if Mr. Coleman decided to appeal to the federal courts, as had been mentioned before this ruling, Mr. Pawlenty added: “A federal court could stay or put a limit on or stop the effect of the state court ruling. If they chose, if they do that, I would certainly follow their direction. But if that doesn’t happen promptly or drags out for any period of time, then we need to move ahead with signing this, particularly if I’m ordered to do that by the state court.”...

Unless we see further action taken by Coleman involving Federal appellate courts, Franken is effectively about to take his seat at the Senate. Between this story, California's balance sheets, and my own state of NY's current situation, it is a curiosity to me when people ask why I don't trust states.

Reckless on

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't even imagine what Coleman's legal fees and other expenses are in this, as well as whatever he'll have to pay to Franken.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All hail the great state of Minnestoa!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't even imagine what Coleman's legal fees and other expenses are in this, as well as whatever he'll have to pay to Franken.

Why would he have to pay anything to Franken?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    All hail the great state of Minnestoa!

Hahaha whoops. That's what constantly switching between regular keyboards and my MacBook during the day will do to a person.

Reckless on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not saying Coleman was an ideal candidate... but Franken? Fucking Al Franken?

I will never understand how someone could, being of sound mind, cast a vote for Al Franken.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

Because he is? http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/06/11/court-orders-coleman-to-pay-frankens-legal-fees/

YamiNoSenshi on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    I'm not saying Coleman was an ideal candidate... but Franken? Fucking Al Franken?

I will never understand how someone could, being of sound mind, cast a vote for Al Franken.

Because sometimes, not often, but sometimes, the lesser of six evils is a comedian.

Taramoor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chanus because he had a D by his name and Coleman had the R, the R's didn't do a great job as of late so a lot of people thought "Hey lets vote for the D's this time."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2009

Coleman was pretty craptastic and the American electorate has done stranger things than vote in Al Franken. See Jessie Ventura, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Reckless on
    edited June 2009

Look, if you don't want comedy in your government, move out of Albany^W^W^W Minnesota.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess it would just be nice if the lesser of X evils wasn't also a complete twit.

Chanus on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reckless wrote: »

Coleman was pretty craptastic and the American electorate has done stranger things than vote in Al Franken. See Jessie Ventura, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I voted for Franken because I don't think any specific senator is a big deal. Also I dislike Coleman. Also Ventura was a decent Governor.

Cauld on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am immediately skeptical. Norm Coleman is a huge douche and I think if there's any possible way for him to drag this out longer, he's going to do it.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited June 2009
    Didn't pawlenty say if the supreme court sided with Franken he'd let him in? So will the douche back off his deal.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2009
    Cauld wrote: »

I voted for Franken because I don't think any specific senator is a big deal. Also I dislike Coleman. Also Ventura was a decent Governor.

That is true. Jessie's absolutely been a straight-shooter lately in a party of it's own reality, but isn't he a truther? Or am I making that up?

Reckless on
    edited June 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

Because he is? http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/06/11/court-orders-coleman-to-pay-frankens-legal-fees/

Oh. I thought you were counting that in legal fees.

JebusUD on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess it would just be nice if the lesser of X evils wasn't also a complete twit.

Do you have anything specific against Franken, or is it just a general dislike apropos of nothing?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Franken is actually a smart guy.

Norm Coleman is a slimeball opportunist who probably never would have been elected in the first place if not for the death of Paul Wellstone.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Cauld wrote: »

That is true. Jessie's absolutely been a straight-shooter lately in a party of it's own reality, but isn't he a truther? Or am I making that up?

No you're sadly right Ventura is a truther. Recently he was on the right side of the torture debate and then went off on a 9/11 conspiracy. It was like "Woo get him Jessie, ahh shit no not that way retard BACK BACK!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2009

What's wrong with Franken?

JebusUD on
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Do you have anything specific against Franken, or is it just a general dislike apropos of nothing?

I've pretty much disagreed with him every time he's opened his mouth since he started a serious foray into politics... that and he just comes off like a self-important doucheface.

I thought he was hilarious on SNL though!

Chanus on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ronald Reagan

Evander on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I've pretty much disagreed with him every time he's opened his mouth since he started a serious foray into politics... that and he just comes off like a self-important doucheface.

So in other words, you hate him because he's a liberal Democrat.

Captain Carrot on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soooo, if Coleman takes it up with Federal appellate courts, would that continue to prevent him from taking the seat? I'm pretty sure that's the only reason he's bothering at this point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Didn't pawlenty say if the supreme court sided with Franken he'd let him in? So will the douche back off his deal.

Wouldn't be all that surprising, especially in light of Ensign's and Sanford's pretty spectacular self-destructions by infidelity. There will be a lot of pressure on Pawlenty from the GOP leadership to not sign the certificate of election, and they won't be shy in using 2012 as a carrot and as a stick all at the same time.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Coleman officially conceded, and thank God this thing is finally over.

OVER, I say!

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now Franken can get to serving his constitutionally mandated 5 1/2 year term.

Cauld on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

OVER, I say!

Holy crap.

Is... Is this real?

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Some Rethugs on another board are whining about how the court deciding for Franken is just like the situation in Iran right now.

Sheep on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Some Rethugs on another board are whining about how the court deciding for Franken is just like the situation in Iran right now.

Haven't you heard? Everything that happens to Republicans right now is just like Iran.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    What was that meme? I need it to make fun of him.

Sheep on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

http://hoekstraisameme.com/

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally, 2 senators. Jeez.

Don't let me down Franken. Make Wellstone proud!

YodaTuna on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

http://hoekstraisameme.com/
    Awesome wrote:
    Went on a hike with my son & had 2 furiously protect him from Mosquitos. Now I know how the dad from Cormac McCarthys ‘The Road’ felt. - @rainnwilson

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So...I mean, does this mean he can hop on a plane and start not doing anything in DC tonight or will it take a week for Pawlenty to fill out the necessary forms?

moniker on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    So...I mean, does this mean he can hop on a plane and start not doing anything in DC tonight or will it take a week for Pawlenty to fill out the necessary forms?

I'm pretty sure he just has to sign the election certificate.

YodaTuna on
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So in other words, you hate him because he's a liberal Democrat.

Since when is it not ok to not want someone in office because you disagree with them politically? You make it sound like there's something wrong with that.

Also, I think it's pretty hard to deny that he very often comes off like a smug prick 95% of the time he speaks.

Not that I care. I don't live in Minnesota, and I probably would have voted for him if I did. There's so little difference between republicans and democrats these days I'd rather just vote for the wacky candidate every time.

PuddingSenator on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a big difference between "I don't like that guy and don't want him to be a Senator"

and

"I don't like that guy and even though he won the election he shouldn't be a Senator"

nexuscrawler on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

OVER, I say!

Jesus man, I hear that. It feels like this has been going on forever.

Henroid on