As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supreme Court of Minnesota Votes in Favor of Franken

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    What was that meme? I need it to make fun of him.

http://hoekstraisameme.com/

it's near the bottom but it's fucking GOLD IMO

"My cat let someone else pet him today… Now I feel like John Ensign’s wife"

Dman on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a big difference between "I don't like that guy and don't want him to be a Senator"

and

"I don't like that guy and even though he won the election he shouldn't be a Senator"

I never said "even though he won the election he shouldn't be a Senator".

I said I don't understand how people could vote for him in the first place... or I don't understand how he's the best guy they could find to challenge the... sucky opposition (for lack of a better term).

There is no legal basis for removing him from the office to which he was elected (barring further appeals, which I think would be nothing but spiteful at this point -- as if dragging the process out this long hasn't been), but I still think he's a douchebag.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    There's a big difference between "I don't like that guy and don't want him to be a Senator"

and

"I don't like that guy and even though he won the election he shouldn't be a Senator"

I said I don't understand how people could vote for him in the first place... or I don't understand how he's the best guy they could find to challenge the... sucky opposition (for lack of a better term).

There is no legal basis for removing him from the office to which he was elected (barring further appeals, which I think would be nothing but spiteful at this point -- as if dragging the process out this long hasn't been), but I still think he's a douchebag.

You don't think "his positions most closely align with mine" or the fact that he's been involved in politics in some capacity for most of his career is a valid reason to vote for him? What would you consider a valid criteria? A dartboard?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    You don't think "his positions most closely align with mine" or the fact that he's been involved in politics in some capacity for most of his career is a valid reason to vote for him? What would you consider a valid criteria? A dartboard?

That's pretty much why you should vote for someone... I just don't understand the person who feels that way about Al Franken... much like I don't understand the person who feels that way about, say, Lindsay Graham. =)

Chanus on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's hard to understand about "Al Franken comes down on the same side as I do on many of the issues I care about, therefore I will vote for him"?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That's pretty much why you should vote for someone... I just don't understand the person who feels that way about Al Franken... much like I don't understand the person who feels that way about, say, Lindsay Graham. =)

Well, I have no argument for that. I would have voted for Franken though. I find him humorous and insightful. I sort of attribute his bombastic personality to what he was trying to accomplish... namely to create a valid alternative to Right-Wing radio.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Lies and the lying liars that tell them.

But I haven't gotten around to reading Truth (With Jokes) yet. I probably would've voted for him simply on the grounds of Lies, honestly.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    What's hard to understand about "Al Franken comes down on the same side as I do on many of the issues I care about, therefore I will vote for him"?

It's the issues themselves, really... not the concept.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, I have no argument for that. I would have voted for Franken though. I find him humorous and insightful. I sort of attribute his bombastic personality to what he was trying to accomplish... namely to create a valid alternative to Right-Wing radio.

I take him as such... but at the same time, I would think it a grave mistake to think someone like Limbaugh fit for public office.

Chanus on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wanted to start this topic earlier, since I was listening to NPR, but I'm still playing catchup with my workload from last week. This forum isn't really helping with that, though. :lol:

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're looking for. He supports pretty reasonable policies. Single-payer healthcare, civil liberties, pretty much all planks of the center-left platform.

I didn't care much for his radio show, because he's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited June 2009

So you're basically saying that you don't understand how people can take the liberal position on some issues?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would easily vote for Franken again. At least you can say he's not a career politician.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

So you're basically saying that you don't understand how people can take the liberal position on some issues?

Basically.

Not on all issues, some I agree with fully... but some just baffle me.

Chanus on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I take him as such... but at the same time, I would think it a grave mistake to think someone like Limbaugh fit for public office.

That's because Limbaugh is a terrible human being. Franken is just a terrible comedian.

exception: I liked his books and had them both signed when he was in the Burnsville Barnes & Noble.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Franken also knows the American political landscape and all it's systems inside and out, and can literally give lectures or debate on any major issue of the day while simultaneously drawing a map of the united states by congressional district.

He's a less effective blowhard than Rush, but he's far and away a better statesman.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Basically.

So that's why Franken is a douche? Because he's a liberal. I'd hate to know what you think of me!

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    So that's why Franken is a douche? Because he's a liberal. I'd hate to know what you think of me!

His liberalism doesn't make him a douche, de facto. Most of my friends are hard-left liberals.

His douchiness makes him a douche.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Hmm.. you'd probably still hate me.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Franken also knows the American political landscape and all it's systems inside and out, and can literally give lectures or debate on any major issue of the day while simultaneously drawing a map of the united states by congressional district.

He's a less effective blowhard than Rush, but he's far and away a better statesman.

Comparing the two, I'll grant you that.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Hmm.. you'd probably still hate me.

I don't, yet. =)

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'd be willing to put Franken one-on-one in a debate against any sitting Senator who isn't named Kennedy. On any subject that is on the docket.

The man is crazy intelligent, and damn hard to talk around.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Basically.

Wow. That's, uh, that's . . . wow.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'd be willing to put Franken one-on-one in a debate against any sitting Senator who isn't named Kennedy. On any subject that is on the docket.

Which is probably what makes him come off as a douche. I don't think he's a douche, but he does have a certain smugness... but hell, that's what I loved about him on SNL, so I'm not about to fault him for it now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'd like to see that... though I don't put a lot of stock in any of our Senators, off the top of my head.

Mark Warner shows promise... he was a good Governor.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't put a lot of stock in any of our Senators, off the top of my head.
    Gosh, why am I not surprised...

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

and

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with most of Franken's fiscal policy positions but I think it's great that a guy with no formal legislative experience got elected to the senate. He's certainly knowledgeable about policy and passionate about the issues, if lacking in experience, which is probably a good thing.

I don't see a problem with Franken as a candidate or a senator.

Also Norm Coleman is a fucking tool.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Basically.

So you're not really confused why someone would vote for Al Franken. Rather you're confused why someone would vote for a Democrat.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's the only person I've seen that can go side by side with someone on a TV show or in a debate (although not the MN senate debates unfortunately) and pull out a packet of research (literally) that not only refutes what the other person is saying, but also points out their own blunders and contradictions in statements they have made on the issue he's refuting in the past.

It's like magic. The fact is, if we could get the man on tv as a point-man for liberals it would be amazing.

Sadly, he didn't do this during his senate run. I believe it was a feeling that he had to "tone it down" in order to get elected, but I think people would have lapped it up. The man has done arguments with Ann Coulter where he used her own endnotes against her. That's really what liberals need is some statesmen with balls.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    He's the only person I've seen that can go side by side with someone on a TV show or in a debate (although not the MN senate debates unfortunately) and pull out a packet of research (literally) that not only refutes what the other person is saying, but also points out their own blunders and contradictions in statements they have made on the issue he's refuting in the past.

It's like magic. The fact is, if we could get the man on tv as a point-man for liberals it would be amazing.

Sadly, he didn't do this during his senate run. I believe it was a feeling that he had to "tone it down" in order to get elected, but I think people would have lapped it up. The man has done arguments with Ann Coulter where he used her own endnotes against her. That's really what liberals need is some statesmen with balls.

That seems more a point man with research skills rather than balls. There are more than a few times that I wish somebody on MTP would just lift up a chart or quote or something that categorically disproves whatever bullshit is being spewed since the host has shirked that job.

Russert wasn't perfect, but that's one thing you had to give the man. He did his homework.

moniker on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Another "Oh Fox News" moment. Their website headline, under the main stuff (in their news happening now section):

Franken 'Winner,' Dems get Fillibuster-Proof Majority.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't see a problem with that headline. Are you objecting to 'Winner'?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    KingLampshadeKingLampshade regular
    edited July 2009
    Well clearly it is wrong because Fox News is part of the vast right wing conspiracy, and not a bastion of journalistic integrity and political neutrality like MSNBC is. :^:

KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well clearly it is wrong because Fox News is part of the vast right wing conspiracy, and not a bastion of journalistic integrity and political neutrality like MSNBC is. :^:

I don't think I've ever read anyone saying anything nice about MSNBC. Except for the one time I mentioned how you can see my house from a camera sweep on the wall that they did in one of their prison documentaries.

moniker on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ITT people verbally abuse a conservative who dislikes Al Franken. In another thread they will wonder why more conservatives don't come to D&D.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys..guys, fuck all of the other bullshit.

The REAL IMPORTANT topic is this...Is Bill O Riley gonna kill himself now?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ITT people verbally abuse a conservative who dislikes Al Franken. In another thread they will wonder why more conservatives don't come to D&D.

I see no such thing.

Unless you classify asking questions so they'll clarify their position as "verbal abuse".

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Guys..guys, fuck all of the other bullshit.

The REAL IMPORTANT topic is this...Is Bill O Riley gonna kill himself now?
    And deprive the world of Bill O'Rly? Not a chance.

He's probably just going to pretend it never happened, completely ignoring Franken's existence as a Senator. Anything else could cause the catastrophic collapse of the worldview he spent so much time and energy constructing for his viewers.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't see a problem with that headline. Are you objecting to 'Winner'?

Probably. Although I find inappropriate quotation marks more offensive than any slight Fox News could intend by using them.

Preacher3.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I actually don't care whether conservatives turn tail because they can't defend their own statements or get their panties twisted because we mock the craziness that the Republicans get up to.

And Lampshade's sarcasm about MSNBC is rich. I mean, at least MSNBC has some conservative and middle-of-the-road voices on the air. Fox's idea of balance is making sure that they have enough moderate conservatives to balance out the batshit insanity of Hannity and Beck.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And Lampshade's sarcasm about MSNBC is rich. I mean, at least MSNBC has some conservative and middle-of-the-road voices on the air. Fox's idea of balance is making sure that they have enough moderate conservatives to balance out the batshit insanity of Hannity and Beck.

I think it's funny that he believes that anyone here feels strongly about the quality of MSNBC. It's the near-unanimous opinion on this board that cable news in general is stupid and irrelevant. I get the impression that he (and to a lesser extent Chanus) argue with what they think liberals believe, and don't really engage with what the liberal posters here actually argue.

Hachface on