As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supreme Court of Minnesota Votes in Favor of Franken

13»

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    And Lampshade's sarcasm about MSNBC is rich. I mean, at least MSNBC has some conservative and middle-of-the-road voices on the air. Fox's idea of balance is making sure that they have enough moderate conservatives to balance out the batshit insanity of Hannity and Beck.

I think it's funny that he believes that anyone here feels strongly about the quality of MSNBC. It's the near-unanimous opinion on this board that cable news in general is stupid and irrelevant. I get the impression that he (and to a lesser extent Chanus) argue with what they think liberals believe, and don't really engage with what the liberal posters here actually argue.
    It's so much easier to debate a caricature than a real person. Hence the popularity of ad homs and strawmen in virtually every arena of discourse.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it's funny that he believes that anyone here feels strongly about the quality of MSNBC. It's the near-unanimous opinion on this board that cable news in general is stupid and irrelevant. I get the impression that he (and to a lesser extent Chanus) argue with what they think liberals believe, and don't really engage with what the liberal posters here actually argue.

I don't intend to argue against preconceived notions, though I'm not going to say I never do... I am hu-mon after all.

I feel there are people here who make assumptions about what I believe as well... so I guess we're even. =)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

I don't intend to argue against preconceived notions, though I'm not going to say I never do... I am hu-mon after all.

I feel there are people here who make assumptions about what I believe as well... so I guess we're even. =)

I just think you've been arguing against what the media narratives want Franken to be, instead of who he actually is. Which is reasonable. I'd probably feel the same way you do if the only thing I knew about Franken was the O'Reilly-baiting he's infamous for. I'll admit he's not really as civil I'd normally like legislators to be, but the Democratic party is so timid right now that I think the Senate will benefit from an obnoxious, brazen liberal voice.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just think you've been arguing against what the media narratives want Franken to be, instead of who he actually is. Which is reasonable. I'd probably feel the same way you do if the only thing I knew about Franken was the O'Reilly-baiting he's infamous for. I'll admit he's not really as civil I'd normally like legislators to be, but the Democratic party is so timid right now that I think the Senate will benefit from an obnoxious, brazen liberal voice.

I do get the impression I could use a bit of homework on his behalf. It may or may not change the way I feel, but I've really only ever known him (politically) as a jackass who likes shoving sticks in hornets' nests. I never got the opportunity to listen to him on Air America or anything like that (it wasn't available here).

Chanus on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I do get the impression I could use a bit of homework on his behalf. It may or may not change the way I feel, but I've really only ever known him (politically) as a jackass who likes shoving sticks in hornets' nests. I never got the opportunity to listen to him on Air America or anything like that (it wasn't available here).

He really wasn't that interesting on Air America. I think its reasonable to think he doesn't have the gravitas one would prefer in a statesman, but I also think the horse is well out of the barn for that and that it'd be nice if someone showed some guts in the Senate.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

He really wasn't that interesting on Air America. I think its reasonable to think he doesn't have the gravitas one would prefer in a statesman, but I also think the horse is well out of the barn for that and that it'd be nice if someone showed some guts in the Senate.

I think Franken is going to be the progressive wing's favorite pugilist.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »

More like only pugilist. The only two I can think of are Al Franken and Bill Maher. And only one of them is a senator. Although I would vote for Bill Maher in a heart beat

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Now New York is the biggest senatorial laughing stock.

:(

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

More like only pugilist. The only two I can think of are Al Franken and Bill Maher. And only one of them is a senator. Although I would vote for Bill Maher in a heart beat

Jon Stewart would probably do a pretty good job, too.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Doh. How could I forget Jon Stewart?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Now New York is the biggest senatorial laughing stock.

:(
    This is not new.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Jon Stewart would probably do a pretty good job, too.

I don't know that Jon Stewart is a true-to-form Progressive, or even all that far left. (Not just based on the Daily Show, his commencement speech at William and Mary a couple years ago was pretty informative... my sister's graduating class, so I was actually there... for what that's worth).

He seems quite moderate to me... maybe with some Progressive tendencies, but certainly not die-hard.

Chanus on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stewart is Center-Left. He'd almost certainly vote with the Dems if he held a seat.

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh, I'm sure he'd vote with the Dems. I just don't think he's a radical in any way.

Edit: Well, other than being honest. =)

Chanus on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, I'm sure he'd vote with the Dems. I just don't think he's a radical in any way.

Edit: Well, other than being honest. =)

No, but he'd be damn good at holding people's feet to the fire.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He could go on all of the cable news shows and say, "You're ruining America." It would be just like now!

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

More like only pugilist. The only two I can think of are Al Franken and Bill Maher.

Barney Frank? Not adverse to taking a swing or two.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    David_T wrote: »

More like only pugilist. The only two I can think of are Al Franken and Bill Maher.

The guy who said, "I think it's time we try a little Keynesianism" after decades of deficit spending?

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

The guy who said, "I think it's time we try a little Keynesianism" after decades of deficit spending?
    Keynesian economics isn't defined by constant deficit spending. The way the government budget has been handled for the last 40 years is anything but Keynesian.

Edit; with the obvious exception of the Clinton-era boom/surplus.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    True... I guess that was a cheap shot.

Chanus on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Barbara Boxer can get a chip on her shoulder. But Barney Frank kicks ass whenever he's let off the leash.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    True... I guess that was a cheap shot.

yeah... his interpretation/opinion of Keynesian economics doesn't have much to do with him being aggressive.

Hachface on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Barbara Boxer can get a chip on her shoulder. But Barney Frank kicks ass whenever he's let off the leash.

The best part is how his voice is so ill-suited to smack-downs, so the substance of what he is saying comes through.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Keynesian economics isn't defined by constant deficit spending. The way the government budget has been handled for the last 40 years is anything but Keynesian.

Interest rates dropped from over 18% during the Reagan administration. Bush had the fed dump the fund rate to basically 0%. Both those presidents believed in government investment in infrastructure. It was military spending but that still plays. Dropping interest rates + government spending in infrastructure are right out of Keynes playbook.

Your bias is ridiculous.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KevinNash wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Interest rates dropped from over 18% during the Reagan administration. Bush had the fed dump the fund rate to basically 0%. Both those presidents believed in government investment in infrastructure. It was military spending but that still plays. Dropping interest rates + government spending in infrastructure are right out of Keynes playbook.

Your bias is ridiculous.
    Keynes calls for reduced government spending during salad days and increased spending to push out of recessions and depressions.

Neither Reagan nor Bush took the opportunity to actually cut spending and build a surplus, instead opting for tax cuts. Their approach was definitionally non-Keynesian.

OptimusZed on