As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arcanum] We were unaware of any activity in the general vasectomy!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Harsh language.

august on
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll stare at them angrily and think mean thoughts

edit: so, do I have to sacrifice Virgil and Styles as distractions while I make my escape?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stuns spells and the dog NPC are good for things that break weapons.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nah she just saves you from going down the healing skilltree.

Basically it comes down to magick and tech being opposing forces. you CAN mis the two, but the result will be subpar for both. For instance, my magician doesnt get healed for shit using an herb box.

That's basically the problem -- there's just no synergy to be found between magic and tech in this game, so there's no use trying to do both. (If there were a tech tree that was based on Willpower, or a magic tree that was based on Intelligence, then I could see some crossover. As it is, the stat requirements alone preclude you from overlapping.)

Go for Styles and someone who can fight, perhaps someone like Gar who is neutral with respect to magic and tech.

The whole story is built on the premise that Magick and Tech are pretty mutually exclusive. Magick interferes with the working of technological devices (mages must ride in the caboose of trains) and
    Kerghan is using the stolen dwarves to build a tech device to weaken the magical barrier between the Void and the real world

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Scarlet just left my apartment and now I'm sad I don't have a gaming partner.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haha, again? That thing is cursed.

I have to catch up with you guys
    Level 13 and searching for some siamese twins' skulls

also: Fuck robo spiders, goddamn assholes

IIRC that quest is quite difficult and hard to complete at level 13.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm a tech barbarian with no attack spells and no dog... And wouldn't it just beat Dog into the ground anyway?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm a tech barbarian with no attack spells and no dog... And wouldn't it just beat Dog into the ground anyway?

At level 13? hell yeah. Spiders are tough stuff.

I'm fairly certain that's a quest for at least the mid 20's.... and that's not the end of it... it's one of the larger quest chains in the game. Even if you do the Tarant portion completely, you'll just be hanging on to quest items for quite some time until you can access the other zones the chain leads to.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

The dog is vulnerable, but he's stood up to characters level 30+ for me, and was the only reason I was able to beat the seething masses and rock golems a ways into the game.

I'd go ahead and snag him up, seeing as how he doesn't fill up an NPC slot anyway.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was talking about the golems in the mountain. However yea, those damn spiders, I just used a ton of molotovs (Best weapon so far)

edit: I know he's in Ashbury or something, but who marks that on my map?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Agh, I'm not sure. You could always look up the coordinates in a guide.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Nah she just saves you from going down the healing skilltree.

Basically it comes down to magick and tech being opposing forces. you CAN mis the two, but the result will be subpar for both. For instance, my magician doesnt get healed for shit using an herb box.

That's basically the problem -- there's just no synergy to be found between magic and tech in this game, so there's no use trying to do both. (If there were a tech tree that was based on Willpower, or a magic tree that was based on Intelligence, then I could see some crossover. As it is, the stat requirements alone preclude you from overlapping.)

Go for Styles and someone who can fight, perhaps someone like Gar who is neutral with respect to magic and tech.

The whole story is built on the premise that Magick and Tech are pretty mutually exclusive. Magick interferes with the working of technological devices (mages must ride in the caboose of trains) and
    Kerghan is using the stolen dwarves to build a tech device to weaken the magical barrier between the Void and the real world

Dude. I don't need Arcanum 101, here. Blvd's question was from the perspective of game mechanics.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Drew-B wrote: »

Did he really end up doing that suspension thing he was talking about?

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was talking about the golems in the mountain. However yea, those damn spiders, I just used a ton of molotovs (Best weapon so far)

edit: I know he's in Ashbury or something, but who marks that on my map?

The seething masses can destroy Dog but more levels is not going to change that. They are just overpowered. The regular golems are hard but as long as you have at least one other follower with muscle outside of Dog they are defeatable. Just be ready with lots of healing salves. You shouldn't go into BMC with mats for less than 35.

You can take Seething Masses at level 15ish but it requires very careful strategy usually involving kiting, doorways, traps, and vigorous use of the quick load button.

I'm not sure what you are talking about marking. Ashbury can be accessed via train, or you can just travel there manually and it will pop up on your map. But if you've got Dog you've already been to Ashbury.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the point in this game that gets me is ALWAYS the assholes at the bridge in Shrouded Hills. I just wind up doing it over and over hoping to get lucky

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    the point in this game that gets me is ALWAYS the assholes at the bridge in Shrouded Hills. I just wind up doing it over and over hoping to get lucky

Qwah? There are so many solutions to that...

The *best* solution if you can't talk your way past it or do the evil quest or pick pocket them, then if you got the two or three grenades from the starting area and didn't sell them, they are pretty much all you need to soften them up big time.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yep. I had to wash blood of your brothers back five minutes after I met him haha.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Haha, again? That thing is cursed.

I have to catch up with you guys
    Level 13 and searching for some siamese twins' skulls

also: Fuck robo spiders, goddamn assholes

IIRC that quest is quite difficult and hard to complete at level 13.

That quest caused my hatred of gnomes in Arcanum.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    partyof7.jpg

Barbarian mage Bo Jackson and his party party

Drew-B on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I finally made a character I liked. Bandit background, basically a gunslinger.

Enjoyable. Also I managed to train up to Expert in pistols because apparently the doctor in Shrouded Hills teach that. But what exactly do apprentice/expert/master do, anyway?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So anyone know offhand what Cha you need for 4 followers?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It depends on the skill, they give you specific bonuses kind of like the ones you get for journeyman/apprentice/master or whatever they were in oblivion like pickpocket is you only get caught on a critical failure for master I think.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I finally made a character I liked. Bandit background, basically a gunslinger.

Enjoyable. Also I managed to train up to Expert in pistols because apparently the doctor in Shrouded Hills teach that. But what exactly do apprentice/expert/master do, anyway?

Depends on the skill

For Firearms...

Apprentice: +5 weapon speed
    Expert: -33% to called shot penalty (for targeting a limb or head)
    Master: Chance to Hit is no longer affected by range

Firearms actually has pretty meh training bonuses. Melee and Dodge have fucking sick ones, which is one reason why 20 dex master melee/dodge characters are essentially unkillable.

*edit*

With Master Dodge, any critical dodge causes the opponent to critically fail which can range anywhere from being stunned for 3-4 turns to literally decapitating themselves, and at master level it happens all the damn time.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So anyone know offhand what Cha you need for 4 followers?

12 Cha and Expert Persuasion training.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gentlemen and a scholar, sir.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also remember that Dog doesn't count as a follower, so you can get up to 5 doing that.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

Qwah? There are so many solutions to that...

The *best* solution if you can't talk your way past it or do the evil quest or pick pocket them, then if you got the two or three grenades from the starting area and didn't sell them, they are pretty much all you need to soften them up big time.

Here's what I did for my super model run yesterday. That guy found out about my deal with the sheriff and was being a giant dick about it (1000 gold pieces?Fuck you!). Since I put all of my points into beauty and charisma I have neither the wits nor brawn to do anything about it.

Out of desperation I tried to see if I could get them to leave the area by chasing after me. Nope, I ran out of stamina pretty soon and was overwhelmed. Found out that I could at least reach the building with the engine though.

So I stayed in there to recover my stamina (Virgil cleared the rats), and ran out as fast as I can because they were waiting for me outside. Went inside a few houses and jumped through the window to see if I could throw them behind. The results?

One of the ogres actually fell down while chasing me through the window. I didn't know if it ran out of stamina or actually slipped but it was hilarious. I've lost the human bandit at that point, while the other ogre turned into walking mode after a while. Victory!

All this took quite a few saves and reloads. Tedious I know, but hey it's another way to get through the gate.

Aftermath
    They didn't went back so Virgil and I had a field day tearing down the gate, which would have worked if Virgil's rusty axe didn't break halfway. In the end I still have to find the bandit leader (he was isolated) and kill him to get the key. I have to get Virgil a new sword though because the leader was pretty tough.

Peas on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jesus christ, you can just use persuasion on them.

L|ama on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I cannot find a copy of this game anywhere :x

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well after some experimenting I have found that stocking up on molotov cocktails, explosive grenades, and stun grenades will actually suffice to get you through Black Mountain without too much trouble. (Throw 2, not much else to speak of.)

But you have to have a lot of them.

Yep. I had to wash blood of your brothers back five minutes after I met him haha.

Daaamn.

I can't wait to bring this up at Christmas.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just remembered one of the best side-quests in the game:

The pirate ghost who desecrated a sacred shrine.

Good times.

Also the Stillwater Giant quest.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well after some experimenting I have found that stocking up on molotov cocktails, explosive grenades, and stun grenades will actually suffice to get you through Black Mountain without too much trouble. (Throw 2, not much else to speak of.)

But you have to have a lot of them.

Daaamn.

I can't wait to bring this up at Christmas.

Going again in September, dogg.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, where does Arcanum keep it's saved games? I've got a game on Rachel's laptop here, but she takes it to work with her so I'd like to continue my game with the installation on my PC.

Edit: ah, just found it.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Drunk PooroDrunk Pooro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So I spend like six goddamn hours trying to find a medallion of beauty for Madame Lil.

(I do other quests in the meantime, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled)

On a whim, I decide to see what Gar's wearing. They sometimes pick up random shit, so it's good to check. Lo and behold, the dipshit is wearing a medallion of beauty. The pretty-much-an-orc melee powerhouse decided that he just really needed that medallion of beauty. Arrrrgh.

Drunk Pooro on
    poorooas.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the NPCs can be a bit klepto sometimes. I was in combat, and got a critical miss, dropping my revolver. Now, I couldn't find it on the floor so I let Virgil and Magnus kill off the last guy before I went running around looking for it.

Right as I see it, Virgil zips over and picks it up. That motherfucker.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man so I'm reading the wiki on this game, and the politics and the take on typical RPG races is really interesting. Halflings as domestic agrarians? Wonderful.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    These sewers are equal parts enormous and boring.

But I'm leveling up like whoa

Drunk Pooro on
    poorooas.gif
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, the NPCs can be a bit klepto sometimes. I was in combat, and got a critical miss, dropping my revolver. Now, I couldn't find it on the floor so I let Virgil and Magnus kill off the last guy before I went running around looking for it.

Right as I see it, Virgil zips over and picks it up. That motherfucker.

This happened to me too. Very next round I got another critical miss, winged the monster with a punch and decked Virgil. Knocked him out cold. Then the golem (yay Black Mountain Clan mines) turned around and smashed Virgil's fucking skull in.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    One thing I'm really loving about the fan-patched Arcanum is that I can alt-tab away without fucking the game. In fact, it keeps running! So every time I post here, my dudes are patching themselves up. So rad.

Drunk Pooro on
    poorooas.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Man so I'm reading the wiki on this game, and the politics and the take on typical RPG races is really interesting. Halflings as domestic agrarians? Wonderful.

I still have the Arcanum manual. I used to just lay back and read it sometimes because I found the take on an industrial revolution-era fantasy universe completely fascinating. Gnomes are so creepy-awesome in this game. They are the mafia and the Jewish banking system all rolled into one.

TankHammer on