As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do I own something really rare? (Desktop After Burner machine)

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
So I have this After Burner machine I got when I was a child, it sits on a desktop and it is is a recreation of a cockpit with a small Game-and-Watchish screen on it. You control the game with a flight stick and shoot with the triggers on it, and there is an actual throttle that you pull back or forward to speed up and slow down. Back in the day this thing was totally boss tits and had a price to reflect that cost, a good 150 bucks back in the 80s. A while back we were cleaning out the garage and stumbled across this old thing, my mom was about to throw it out when I rescued it. It still works just fine and is in near mint condition short of a single inconsequential sticker that had pealed off, I thought she was insane.

The thing is, I have not seen one of these things since the late 80s early 90s and I haven't even been able to find it online just so that I could read up on it. I'm wondering if these things are rare now or worth serious collectors money, I could think of no better place to ask then the good ol PA boards. Hell I can't even find a picture online to show you guys so you know what it looks like unless I take it out of the box it's currently resting in and snap a picture.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How many cashiers did you have to scream at to get it?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    How many cashiers did you have to scream at to get it?

ObviousTroll.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No idea if it's rare, but I found some pics.

Tiger-AfterBurnerBox.jpg

Tiger-Afterburner.jpg

Yes that is it, how did you find it?

The_Spaniard on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tiger's After Burner tabletop game: $45

edit: Curse my slow posting!

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

He probably Google Image Searched for "afterburner" and looked at the thumbnails until he found it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    chamberlain on
    edited June 2009

He probably Google Image Searched for "afterburner" and looked at the thumbnails until he found it.

Wow, Pan got an unusually large amount of sand in there today?

The_Spaniard on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, I remember those things! They were kind of neat.

I miss the days of Tiger Electronic handheld games. They should never have tried the Rzone or the Gamecom.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

o_O

I see absolutely nothing hostile about that statement. It sounds totally reasonable and truthful.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Never seen one, but do want.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

o_O

I see absolutely nothing hostile about that statement. It sounds totally reasonable and truthful.

Calm the fuck down, dude.

Shit. Don't need to have a conniption.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

o_O

Calm the fuck down, dude.

Shit. Don't need to have a conniption.

Reported.
    Just kidding

Anyone feel we could use a general handheld LCD games thread? I probably wouldn't end up participating in it, but other people might.

jothki on
    edited June 2009

Thanks, appreciate it.
    Never seen one, but do want.
    That was my reaction as a kid, and I played the shit out of that thing.

The_Spaniard on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here was a perfect opportunity for to Here-let-me-google-that-for-you and I missed it.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Here was a perfect opportunity for to Here-let-me-google-that-for-you and I missed it.

I have tried Google and eBay before, I searched for After Burner, Afterburner, Afterburner machine, Afterburner desktop, etc. I may have missed it, but it wasn't for lack of an honest and decent search.

The_Spaniard on
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had that when I was a kid; definitely cool. I spent a lot more time with my NES, but the flight stick action was pretty pimp. Mine is almost certainly clogging a landfill somewhere.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
    edited July 2009
    I had that when I was a kid; definitely cool. I spent a lot more time with my NES, but the flight stick action was pretty pimp. Mine is almost certainly clogging a landfill somewhere.

For the last year and a half I had it on my desk at work with an Ace Combat 360 cover leaning against it. It was a cool little conversation piece.

The_Spaniard on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This reminded me of how much I used to love Afterburner when I was a kid. I would have killed a few people to own one of these.

safterburnergr9.jpg

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's one new in box for 80 bucks on ebay. That's less than MSRP, damn.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd say hang onto it for another decade or so, it could be worth money (as a collectible) one day.

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Redneck SithRedneck Sith Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    This reminded me of how much I used to love Afterburner when I was a kid. I would have killed a few people to own one of these.

safterburnergr9.jpg

I'd wipe out an entire civilization to own one of those. Or an Operation Starblade machine.

Redneck Sith on
    drdestroyer.jpg
    You are pure evil, and hate personified. You don't care anything about your fellow man, and are guided only by your desire to rule over your inferiors, i.e. everybody but you. 'Mercy,' you ask, prior to grinding an enemy beneath your mighty heel, 'What is mercy?'
    Take the quiz!
  • Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd say hang onto it for another decade or so, it could be worth money (as a collectible) one day.

Actually, I've changed my mind! Sell it to one of these guys!

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009

Actually, I've changed my mind! Sell it to one of these guys!

If only they were interested. :lol:

The_Spaniard on