As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pursuing Text-Message Death Threat

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I really hate having to bring this up--but on the other hand, it is true what they say, misery loves company.

For the past week, I've been receiving text messages from a number I'm not familiar with. At first, these mostly seemed like innocent wrong number texts. They wouldn't be from someone I know but misplaced the number of, since I don't text message people on the phone (I think it's rather silly given I could call them, and my plan doesn't support it).

Recently, these messages have gotten weirder and weirder. Upset statements at missing appointments, sort of what you might expect from a friend who was trying to reach you. Finally, I got around to replying "sorry wrong number" to one.

The person on the other end sent back a message, insisting that it was not the wrong number. Next, I got a message promising physical harm for something I allegedly missed. At this point, I decided I'd try to get T-Mobile to block the number. Unfortunately, my father is the primary phone holder, so while the T-Mobile person was giving me excuses and trying to sell me on another plan, I got another message that said, in shorter words, that they would just kill me when they met me on Friday (July, 3rd), followed by the smiling face.

(I really fucking hate text messaging)

I was able to get all text messages blocked, otherwise I imagine I would have received a follow up by now. After some effort, I was able to track down a police officer, and finally file a report. I don't think I'm actually going to die, and I don't think anyone actually wants to kill me. I do think, given the pattern of this, and that they've all come from the same number, that someone is enjoying a perverse prank at my expense.

(I thought I would post the number--it's always the same number--here, but it occurred to me it might be bad form, as though I was encouraging people to SPAM the person with text messages to the effect of "Go to hell, asshole, or at least get a fucking job.")

TL;DR--Should I pursue this when it gets logged into the database in two to three days? I'm not familiar with police procedure in this country, but apparently, I'll be able to speak with a detective assigned to this should I want to pursue this. Mostly, I just want the bored person at the other end of the number to face the consequences of being an asshole. But I'm not familiar with dealing with police here. Is it worth the trouble?

Synthesis on

• Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Probably not worth the hassle, man. I mean, watch your ass on Friday, but...

Seriously though, you've filed a complaint. And if you're not terrified for your life, then getting bogged down in an investigation is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I really hate having to bring this up--but on the other hand, it is true what they say, misery loves company.

For the past week, I've been receiving text messages from a number I'm not familiar with. At first, these mostly seemed like innocent wrong number texts. They wouldn't be from someone I know but misplaced the number of, since I don't text message people on the phone (I think it's rather silly given I could call them, and my plan doesn't support it).

Recently, these messages have gotten weirder and weirder. Upset statements at missing appointments, sort of what you might expect from a friend who was trying to reach you. Finally, I got around to replying "sorry wrong number" to one.

The person on the other end sent back a message, insisting that it was not the wrong number. Next, I got a message promising physical harm for something I allegedly missed. At this point, I decided I'd try to get T-Mobile to block the number. Unfortunately, my father is the primary phone holder, so while the T-Mobile person was giving me excuses and trying to sell me on another plan, I got another message that said, in shorter words, that they would just kill me when they met me on Friday (July, 3rd), followed by the smiling face.

(I really fucking hate text messaging)

I was able to get all text messages blocked, otherwise I imagine I would have received a follow up by now. After some effort, I was able to track down a police officer, and finally file a report. I don't think I'm actually going to die, and I don't think anyone actually wants to kill me. I do think, given the pattern of this, and that they've all come from the same number, that someone is enjoying a perverse prank at my expense.

(I thought I would post the number--it's always the same number--here, but it occurred to me it might be bad form, as though I was encouraging people to SPAM the person with text messages to the effect of "Go to hell, asshole, or at least get a fucking job.")

TL;DR--Should I pursue this when it gets logged into the database in two to three days? I'm not familiar with police procedure in this country, but apparently, I'll be able to speak with a detective assigned to this should I want to pursue this. Mostly, I just want the bored person at the other end of the number to face the consequences of being an asshole. But I'm not familiar with dealing with police here. Is it worth the trouble?

I would certainly inform the police of it. Even if someone's pulling a prank it's one thing to send some things. It's quite another to start threatening physical harm and promising to do so at a certain point. Even if it's a kid that got a hold of their parents cell or something at least this way there can be follow up and hopefully something done about it. I mean, you have the number. All it is a matter of now is the police following up with the provider, getting the name on that it belongs to along with the address and talking to them.

As another suggestion, after having worked for Sprint for a couple of years I would at least make sure that it was documented on your account that you had called and reported it to your provider in case the police follow up with them. That way it better collaborates any timeline issues that come up.

EDIT**

My bad, I for some reason thought you hadn't gone to the police yet.

As far as follow-up I guess it would be good to at least find out if the police did something but unless there is any further reprecussions from it I wouldn't pursue charges necessarily.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm actually unclear as to what pursuing charges would mean. Honestly, I have no idea whether or no threatening/promising to kill someone over text message is a misdemeanor or what in the United States.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying, but I had spoken to someone at T-Mobile at it, and I did mention to the police officer that I had both contacted T-Mobile, and then had the account holder halt all text message receiving. The officer knew both my cell phone number and my provider, and I explained that it was obviously not within T-Mobile's power to tell me who was harassing me. I imagine it's different for the police.

EDIT***

Blah, I saw your edit so here I am editing now. As far as I know, receiving a text message threatening you with physical violence is pretty much considered the same as being threatened verbally. Especially if someone is saying "On this date I'm going to...".

The charge down in the states is normally referred to as "Uttering threats" or something along those lines? I'm in Canada and I know that we have a law about it, I'm almost certain the US does as well.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying, but I had spoken to someone at T-Mobile at it, and I did mention to the police officer that I had both contacted T-Mobile, and then had the account holder halt all text message receiving. The officer knew both my cell phone number and my provider, and I explained that it was obviously not within T-Mobile's power to tell me who was harassing me. I imagine it's different for the police.

EDIT***

Blah, I saw your edit so here I am editing now. As far as I know, receiving a text message threatening you with physical violence is pretty much considered the same as being threatened verbally. Especially if someone is saying "On this date I'm going to...".

The charge down in the states is normally referred to as "Uttering threats" or something along those lines? I'm in Canada and I know that we have a law about it, I'm almost certain the US does as well.

Maybe. Back home, I think this sort of thing will get you blacklisted from all major carriers (which, over there, literally means all carriers) unless you are clever enough to create a new ID that can fool the providers. Then again, I come from a violent crime country, more than harassment (in a country that small, harassment usually leads to violent crime).

I'm torn between wanting the person to learn a lesson, preferably while squirming uncomfortably in front of a cop and, if they're lucky, their pissed-off parents, and just being generally tired. Right now, I'm leaning towards the former, though I'm mildly aware that being vengeful could make me a bad person (not text-messaging death threats bad, but bad nonetheless).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

EDIT***

In most states this would be considered terroristic threats and could fall under both harassment and stalking.

What state are you in Synthesis?

Also, this would really piss me off and I'd want the lil bugger to squirm like a bitch in front of the cops as well.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

EDIT***

In most states this would be considered terroristic threats and could fall under both harassment and stalking.

Also, this would really piss me off and I'd want the lil bugger to squirm like a bitch in front of the cops as well.

Georgia, the Peach State.

You know, if I wasn't so tired and such a nonviolent person by my own nature (I even got into a whole debate in D&D about the overuse of the terms 'hate' and 'hatred'), I would find some way to tie this with terrorism or a stalking angle, as oppose to admitting to the police that I thought it was a stupid prank..

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

EDIT***

Georgia, the Peach State.

You know, if I wasn't so tired and such a nonviolent person by my own nature (I even got into a whole debate in D&D about the overuse of the terms 'hate' and 'hatred'), I would find some way to tie this with terrorism or a stalking angle, as oppose to admitting to the police that I thought it was a stupid prank..

Terroristic threats covers when a person is individually threatened as well. If someone walked up to you on the street and said they were going to kick your ass and put you in the hospital, that could fall under terroristic threats. Part of terroristic threats includes stalking and harassment, the latter this would definitely fall under. I don't know what specific state laws there are against cell phone threats.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get this guy arrested under the patriot act. That'll fix his wagon.
    Seriously, I stand by my previous statement.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why didn't you just call the number, so they'd believe that you're the wrong person?

We kept getting some weird guy calling us when I lived in Missouri. He'd call at 2 or 3 am and want his stuff, and demanded that he knew my husband. We didn't answer and left the funniest message I've ever heard(he sound like a big hillbilly) I'm gonna kee you ya sumbitch. Sumbitch gimme my stuff. Blah blah blah. After we didn't respond he stopped calling.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thylacine wrote: »
    Why didn't you just call the number, so they'd believe that you're the wrong person?

We kept getting some weird guy calling us when I lived in Missouri. He'd call at 2 or 3 am and want his stuff, and demanded that he knew my husband. We didn't answer and left the funniest message I've ever heard(he sound like a big hillbilly) I'm gonna kee you ya sumbitch. Sumbitch gimme my stuff. Blah blah blah. After we didn't respond he stopped calling.

Well, here's the thing--I'm pretty sure this wasn't a case of mistaken identity. In part because I already tried to point out that out to the person on the other hand, and he/she insisted I was wrong.

Second, maybe I just have a bad sense of humor, but this was never really funny. It was originally just odd, and then it went from odd to annoyance to harassment. I did not what the fucker on the other end to know what my voice sounded like either. If I weren't such a cheap bastard, I'd probably give T-Mobile the finger for not doing anything remotely competent and get a new phone plan and number.

I really get the feeling that trying to reason with this person would not have helped. In fact, I think it would have gotten worse--assuming he/she picked up at all.

EDIT: Plus, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure threatening to kill someone after they've tried to explain you have the wrong person, over any medium of communication, is fucking wrong.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Call from a pay phone and see if you recognize the voice if you're really curious. Otherwise I'd ignore it.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Call from a pay phone and see if you recognize the voice if you're really curious. Otherwise I'd ignore it.

Not curious--not even remotely. But I would like there to be a punishment for being an asshole. Still, if this hadn't been going on for a week, I probably would ignore it. I'm still on the fence, in any case.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would just have your dad call and get your name put as an authorized person on the account, and have the number blocked.

Otherwise, I'd just ignore it. Meh? You seem to be freaking out over nothing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am in Washington and know someone that got death threats electronically. Not only did they text it to her but also put the threat on their myspace, and the cops said its a felony. Guy was arrested and of course he already had other charges on him plus it was a violation of his parole terms.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My plan doesn't allow for individual numbers to be blocked, actually.

And yes, I could just be overreacting. Definitely a possibility, though I'm still debating the matter.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got something like that once. A guy texted me and asked where I was at, and it was a number I've never seen, so I told him I think he got the wrong number. He replied with a no, saying that he knows that I'm Jessica (which it isn't, I'm a guy), and he sent about 5 more text messages wanting to hook up with me and have sex. After I told him again that I wasn't Jessica, he started threatening that he would rape me multiple times with his friends and then kill me, and this went on for a few days.

I got kind of tired of it so I called him, and he said "Heyyyy Jessica babe" and then I reply in my man voice and he freaks out and hangs up. I call him a few times saying things like "Hey sweet tits this is Jessica want to get down?" and harass him for a while and then went along with my life.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you've already blocked them then screw it. Forget about it. If you start getting the same type of messages from another number then I would pursue harassment charges. I'd let this one go on account of mistaken identity, however if they start from another number then it's directed at you. That opens up a lot of other options.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The fact that their saying you missed appointments you know nothing about seems to indicate they don't know who the heck they're talking to. You seem to be in the clear.

While it sucks they didn't believe you it's the wrong number, and they sent "I'm going to kill you Friday :)" is kind of weird and annoying, it really probably is a case of mistaken identity. If you did pursue it to court, would you really want someone going to jail that just happens to be crude and think they were fucking with their friend?

Thylacine on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some guy got my number and did this to me. He would call at 1-5 am and scream profanity, usually with giggling in the background. Eventually it devolved into death threats. As my job at the time required me to be on call 24-7, I could neither change my number nor turn off my phone.

I went with the police and cell phone company angles, but got nowhere. They could trace the call, but if it was from a cell they could do nothing about it, even with the persistent (and vivid death threats). The Number was unlisted, and the cell company would not give me their info (but offered to change my number for free).

In the end, I started google-searching the phone numbers (there were three). I got some hits, and I isolated the same guy on twitter, facebook, and myspace, which led to some light reading/research. The next time he called It went something like this:

Enc: "Hello?"
    @$#$%@!!!!"
    Enc: Hey, wait a second.
    Guy: "WHAT, YOU WANNA BEG FOR YOUR LIFE #$##@?"
    Enc (reading from a list): "No, I just wanted to say I know who you are, Michael Turner. I know where you live in... Miami, and who you hang out with (lists some friends). I know what bar you drink at (the bar), and all about Stephanie (a girl he was cheating with, according to his myspace page). Eric wouldn't like to know about that, would he? Or how about your Mom? Would she approve of these threats? You know how her heart is."
    @?" (voice changed from screaming, alarmed).
    Enc: "Don't call me again."

That was the last time I heard from him. I couldn't fall back asleep that night I was so pumped. I totally thought my voice would crack.

Point is, the internet can help you. Without anonymity, these guys are powerless.

Enc on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got texts very similar to this before. I just thought it was a bot or something, but it came shortly after my girlfriend scorned someone.

I think it's automated for the most part or scripted. When I checked the area code it was from the area of who I thought the perp. was, but I just ignored them.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm actually surprised any mobile provider cannot block a number on the grounds of death threats, regardless of who holds the bill. It sounds like the T-Mobile person you spoke to was just being a very, very lazy homp.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Enc that is pretty awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised any mobile provider cannot block a number on the grounds of death threats, regardless of who holds the bill. It sounds like the T-Mobile person you spoke to was just being a very, very lazy homp.

AT&T actually. The reason was similar to the OP's reasoning. I was not the primary holder for the account (boss was) and the Boss was usually gone on Globe Crossing pleasure trips. They would block a land line, but not a cell, which I thought was pretty crappy considering I had the voicemails to prove the situation.

On the other side of this, a friend of mine (you may have seen a thing on him on 60 Minutes last week) was killed after receiving digital threats and text messages from someone he knew, and the police did nothing to help him. If you actually know the guy threatening you, get help immediately and make sure you are somewhere safe.

You know, common sense and stuff.

Enc on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As far as going to police, I know you won't be able to get transcripts of the text messages. Most companies only hold them for roughly three or four days and after that are auto deleted from their records. You need a subpoena for them to hold the text messages for longer.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As far as going to police, I know you won't be able to get transcripts of the text messages. Most companies only hold them for roughly three or four days and after that are auto deleted from their records. You need a subpoena for them to hold the text messages for longer.

I kept the death threat and physical threat on my actual phone. Which makes me somewhat shifty and uncomfortable, but yes. In any case, the interviewing officer viewed them both.

Synthesis on