As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks to Mully's inspirational Ustream show earlier, I am doing my first foray into digital painting... and I suck.

Eventually, I want her to be roling her eyes in frustration as someone tells her smoking is bad for her. The hand comes into play later.

smokecopy.jpg
    Anyways, I think its a good start but I need you bastards to tear it apart and change my mind. Thanks!

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think you should lower the chin (to give her more chin/jaw there)...and if she's rolling her eyes, the irises+pupils should be higher up, and probably half-covered by the top eyelid. I'd exaggerate the curve of the eyebrows a bit - make the inner side a bit lower, so it's more obvious that she's rolling her eyes, and not just looking up.

NightDragon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tam wrote: »

I have done the eyes 100 times and they never look right

Also, his name is spelled "Steven".

Maybe you should post your best attempt up at Stephen and we can tell you where you've turned wrong with Stephen's eyes. Stephen.

The whole point of doing that kind of study is to bash your head against it until you get it right. If you give up before that happens then you're missing out on the most tender and juicy of knowledges.

Scosglen on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh Scos, how you make me laugh.

Mustang on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to email him the thing when I decide I'm finished with a thank you for all the great movies and a warning not to fuck up Ghost in the Shell.

Tam on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Doodle of a character i designed. Its totally original and i own it. No body copy it please. I spent ages designing his shirt

2zpigbt.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's like double negative copyright infringement. You are now above the law.

earthwormadam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    WIP of my first oil painting in about 4 years. There's a lot of shit wrong with it-hands, face, sleeves, crown, and I think I ballsed up the proportions resulting in his looking like he's humping out of his seat rather than sitting down, but somehow it's still not as awful as I feared it probably would be. Probably should have went with a smaller palette and a still life subject instead.

angryking.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think its pretty rad
    he does have that one massive leg though

RubberAC on
    edited July 2009
    I think you should lower the chin (to give her more chin/jaw there)...and if she's rolling her eyes, the irises+pupils should be higher up, and probably half-covered by the top eyelid. I'd exaggerate the curve of the eyebrows a bit - make the inner side a bit lower, so it's more obvious that she's rolling her eyes, and not just looking up.

Okay, cool. I will work on these tonight. The eyes were on a seperate layer and are just there for fun... she looked creepy with no eyes. :)

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    WIP of my first oil painting in about 4 years. There's a lot of shit wrong with it-hands, face, sleeves, crown, and I think I ballsed up the proportions resulting in his looking like he's humping out of his seat rather than sitting down, but somehow it's still not as awful as I feared it probably would be. Probably should have went with a smaller palette and a still life subject instead.

angryking.jpg

SUPER GREAT!

F87 on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Pretty sick, Bacon. You're right, he looks kind of like he's sliding out of his chair. You'd need ot show less of the top of his legs and somehow convey a little more that his torso is moving back in space. Probably by showing the muscles with a very slight upward curve around his torso. Though, you don't have to listen to me. I was never very good with that position myself. It's kind of awkward to draw/paint.

As for the colors, I think it looks sweet, and I really like the stonework in the BG.

How big is this? As it is, it looks pretty detailed, but if it's like 18 x24 or something it might need a little more in the wood. Which seems to be kind of blocked out if it's large. And the armrest under his left (our right) side needs more contrast as of this picture. I can't tell where the corner of it is.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Who likes graffiti?!

Update on this thing, pretty much finished now:

condor_finished.jpg

The paint at the bottom drips into a pool on the ground and runs down hill (its on a ramp in a carpark). Looks pretty neato :D

Also some stuff I did a few months ago with a spray can. Terrible photos, I apologise. But I like them anyways:

condor_beast_1.jpg

condor_beast_4.jpg

condor_beast_2.jpg

desperaterobots on
    edited July 2009
    I have one word for this.

Sick. :D

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited July 2009
    Those are awesome, DR

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm surprised you got permission from the council to do this work...

winter_combat_knight on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hellz to the yeah DR, that... it's... awesome.

Prospicience on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm surprised you got permission from the council to do this work...

It's actually a private developers basement carpark, they opened up the five levels for artists to go crazy on. The opening is next saturday :D

desperaterobots on
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Those are exactly the type of people who should own business buildings

Charis on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Charis wrote: »
    Those are exactly the type of people who should own business buildings

Don't think I could agree more.

Prospicience on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    angryking.jpg

Is that for Erik's class Bacon? Did he assign a project in there?

rts on
    edited July 2009
    I like the brick work on the left a lot, Bacon. Though his hands look too small and his torso looks as if it's made of clay and rock.

Tam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    angryking.jpg

Is that for Erik's class Bacon? Did he assign a project in there?

Sorta/not really- just doing this one to try and get used to oils before doing starting on the one for class. The assignment for the first few weeks is to do a pickout method illo/master study/reffed piece- I'll probably do a master study to get my feet wet. I don't think anything needs to be done on it for next class except for having the prep work/ref picked out.

And yeah I'm agreeing with pretty much all of these crits- result of not spending more time on the drawing beforehand, I guess I was a bit too jazzed to try and start painting after seeing Erik's demo- I'm actually using his leftover paint from it for my piece. (Not having any white is driving me a little crazy.) I think I'll try fixing up the drawing in photoshop and then see if I can replicate that in paint.

Oh yeah @ Radar, it's 9x12. Not falling into the art school 'make everything HUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEE' trap again, at least not while I remain poor.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mully wrote: »
    her legs are too huge? Are you crazy? I think this is sexier than most of waks stuff (sorry wak i still love all your stuff)

story time

a long time ago, i drew this girl:

Random_Gaia_Art_4_Isolacerelia_by_mulldacity.jpg

then i posted it in a forum i attended at the time

would you like to know what happened next?
    i got flamed because the people in the forum declared the girl "too fat"

I don't mean she looks fat, i mean...like they dont look like they would attach properly to her hips...

edit: damnit now I sound like a jerk.

edit: A sexist jerk.

PROX on
    edited July 2009
    Sketched this out at work yesterday:

adrienl.jpg

And I started up a similar study to the one Charis is doing. Just did the face today. About 2.5 hours for it.

refcopyt.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And yeah I'm agreeing with pretty much all of these crits- result of not spending more time on the drawing beforehand, I guess I was a bit too jazzed to try and start painting after seeing Erik's demo- I'm actually using his leftover paint from it for my piece. (Not having any white is driving me a little crazy.) I think I'll try fixing up the drawing in photoshop and then see if I can replicate that in paint.

Oh yeah @ Radar, it's 9x12. Not falling into the art school 'make everything HUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEE' trap again, at least not while I remain poor.

Not having any white is probably a pretty good exercise for you in reality.

I used to go to USC sometimes with my buddy who was a fine art major there....and I would setup my easel and start painting...but it was always pretty funny because at the largest I was working 8"x10" where as all of the paintings around me were closer to 8'x10'. And they definitely weren't better for it...

rts on
    edited July 2009
    Height of the desks seems too low, Radar.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    ...where as all of the paintings around me were closer to 8'x10'. And they definitely weren't better for it...

D:D:D: I would never get anything finished.

NightDragon on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    working huge is ridunkulous, I dont understand why you would make such a huge piece unless you were super duper good and had some sort of grand idea of a painting

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited July 2009
    18"x24" makes sense to me. The bigger you work, the more detail you can produce. But 8'x10' is too big.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    thecount.jpg

TheBog on
    edited July 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    thecount.jpg

Every single one of these reminds me of the current pope.

Are those pencils? Some nice clean lines, those.

dawg2.jpg

Also, this is a dog.

Charis on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    is that water color? or a texture in photoshop that was used to look like water color, I cant tell

(because if thats water color woah)

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited July 2009
    No that's real water color.

And a damn fine animal portrait, Charis. Very nice.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Great work, Charis! I envy your watercolor skills.

BOTP'D
    thecount.jpg

Charis wrote: »
    thecount.jpg

Every single one of these reminds me of the current pope.

Are those pencils? Some nice clean lines, those.

dawg2.jpg

Also, this is a dog.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2009

Tamworth is correct indeed. I'm trying to get some extra cash doing pet portraits for people, and this will be the header on my flier. Old people who love dogs also love watercolors because they are artsy and refined.

Charis on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i love dogs and watercolors.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2009
    I wish she would teach me how to watercolor that well. D:

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    edited July 2009
    i love dogs and watercolors.

Then you sir are at least fifty-five or older.

Charis on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    true.

ManonvonSuperock on
This discussion has been closed.