As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love looking at other peoples watercolours (and this one is fucking fantastic Charis) but want nothing to do with it myself.
    As far as I'm concerned watercolour is the medium of satan, and how he laughs when I attempt to use it.

Mustang on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I love looking at other peoples watercolours (and this one is fucking fantastic Charis) but want nothing to do with it myself.
    As far as I'm concerned watercolour is the medium of satan, and how he laughs when I attempt to use it.

Yes.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Charis you are going to make a killing.

Also don't disappear I like you.

bombardier on
    edited July 2009
    It helps that we work at Chautauqua Institution, which is basically like, old people heaven. Technically, it's a religion (all religions)based learning center. But mostly old people go there. So they love stuff like that. That's where I was when that lady bought something I was just sketching for like, $20. They're all freaking rich. And crazy. This can be both an advantage and a detriment... :(

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bbbbut.jpg
    pillowscopy.jpg

Projeck on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dammit

v8ou91.jpg

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, that's creepy. The rest of it is brill, but the eyes, creepy as.

A trick I learnt this week that I really like, is to squint your eyes until you can only see the black shape of his upper eyelid and the iris, and then once you've made the shape draw it.

Mustang on
  • NamNam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Love those characters Projeck.

Haven't posted in awhile, missed this place, here are some doodles in photoshop.

noise2.jpg

Nam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aaaaawesome, though that lady (lady?)'s ear at the bottom is a bit too high up.

NightDragon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You all know who to blame for this.

cephalocop.jpg

Scosglen on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I applaud that image.

His next appearance should be in Robocephalocop.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    dammit

v8ou91.jpg

Try this. I've measured the size of the glasses to the length of the nose. You can use this as a rough proportions estimate to see where things might be wrong. The eye width looks to be about the same in the ref and your drawing so that's good, but check the glasses size. Yours are quite small. It's also pretty evident from the really wide bridge on the glasses.

tamberg.jpg

bombardier on
    edited July 2009
    dammit

this is a picture!

Tam, you need to go darker on that face. Really establish the blacks in a grayscale, or you're going to fuck up the value of everything else. You're also making everything really blurry. I get that you started with an underlayer, but how long have you worked on this?

Take that face I did on the last page. 2.5 hours, in color, with a ref. The reason I finished it so fast was I didn't screw around with slowly redoing everything. Just start laying down some hard lights. That's might be why the eyes are screwing you up, too. They're ridiculously high contrast. Just slap down some blacks and whites, then add a little bit of gray where you see it.

Also, how are you doing this? Are you actually keeping them next to each other while you work?

Other than that, I would say this is looking really good for a start/middle process, despite your frustration. Keep at it, and just keep looking at the reference for comparison. There's such a strong spotlight on him that there isn't really anything like complex reflected light. Just straightforward high contrast. Super fun. :D

Nam: Awesome sketches!

Scos: I love it.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scos, great work as ever. Love the action shot. All hail Beavotron!

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am Stupid:
    iamstupidbig.jpg

brokecracker on
    edited July 2009
    Ok, so blacks and proportions. Also, what's an underlayer?

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    An underlayer is basically a rough version of what you're painting. Generally it's blurrier/sketchier, and establishes values, proportions, and composition. Then you paint over fine details, hard light and angles, and clean up the brushwork to establish the finished image. The term comes from painting where you would layer the level of detail, from rough to fine. That's my definition of it, anyway...

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    edited July 2009
    Oooooh okay

I'll definitely refine it, but I don't know if I have the skill or patience to go full blast realism on this though. Also, I do keep them side by side like that- is that a problem?

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    A few tips Tam.

Some training wheels to try that might make this easier for you :

Work at the same scale in separate windows side by side. This way your reference and your work canvas can both have their own rulers and they will be relative (i.e. 2 inches on your ref will be the same line 2 inches in on your study). This also lets you work sight-size, which can be a bit easier and lets you do manual measurements if you please.

Use guides. In photoshop you can draw a guide line by dragging the ruler onto the canvas. Using "plumb lines" is a traditional figure drawing technique for ensuring accuracy of placements and proportions, and we can use it in a portrait study the same way. Align vertical and horizontal lines, probably along significant features, and make sure that every other form or bend that comes across that line is placed consistently with your ref. This is kind of the same principle as using a grid, except you only need place a few lines where and when you need them.

stephenguide.jpg

I scaled your study down to match the ref as best I could and placed a few example lines. In this case, we can see the head is not quite tall enough and so features have either slid down the face (tip of the nose, brow ridge, ears, eyes), or are simply too short (height of the eyeglass rims). In particularly troublesome spots you may want to place even more lines to help. When I'm doing a full body study it's not uncommon for the face to have as many guides placed on it as the rest of the whole body. I did not place any vertical lines because I would only be guessing as to their relative placement on the right, which is the danger you run if you try to place guides this late in the stage, and/or don't have a ruler for each side.

If you aren't already, I would also recommend frequently flipping the canvas and ref on its horizontal axis, especially whenever something doesn't look right, this is a pretty damn good way to make it obvious why.

Scosglen on
    edited July 2009
    Well shit

I might just scrap it and start over using those lines

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Taking extra time to start out and making sure that your proportions are accurate before you start laying in to sculpting and rendering is very important. It saves you lots of time redoing areas that you've already worked on when you realize they're inaccurate.

If you're getting bored with this then there's nothing wrong with starting with a new picture either.

Scosglen on
    edited July 2009
    No, I'm not bored with it quite yet.

BOTP
    I am Stupid:
    iamstupidbig.jpg

Tam on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here is some bullshit I just did. I am getting more comfortable with my process, but I really need to figure out how to draw better poses. Also, design-wise this sucks. All in all, fail, but I learned some things and it was only an hour, so no biggie.

wc.jpg

F87 on
    edited July 2009
    bear.jpg

rawr!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aw yiss, that bear looks magisterial

Charis on
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else have trouble with paint strokes "sticking" to ruler lines in Photoshop?

Tam on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cowboyindian.jpg

do be do

melting_doll on
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else have trouble with paint strokes "sticking" to ruler lines in Photoshop?

Go under view and uncheck "snap"

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    edited July 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »

Go under view and uncheck "snap"

I'm going to show you how terrifying things became because I didn't know this
    119neiu.jpg

you know what I think I am tired of this

Tam on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh god

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited July 2009
    Oh noes! My tablet has a spot that, everytime I go over it, make my line either straight vertical or horizontal.

Dang! I was just getting started with that thing.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am not going to lie, that is one horrifying Stephan

Charis on
    edited July 2009
    It reminds me of like, pixelated zombies in the original Doom game.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    edited July 2009
    The deadliest game.

bearak.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Okay, ain't no way I'm starting over, so I spent some time tweaking my first STEVEN Spielberg.

euebko.jpg

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Problem with the eyes is that he has ridiculous eyes to begin with - if you draw that sagging right lid, it'll look like you made a mistake even when it's correct! It's a lose-lose situation!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Well, I didn't touch the eyes, actually. All I did was "push and pull" here and there to get the proportions closer to correct. Head's still too short, I think.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Head looks fine, except the top, which is flattened. You have some pretty good values going, you just need to push it a bit to finish it.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    If only. I still have to erase the glasses (really should start that on a separate layer), figure out the eyes, sharpen the image and add beard detail, and see if I want to/how to get his forehead liver spots on there.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    His head only looks to short because, again, you haven't darkened up the side of his face, which means that it loses some of it's depth. So it looks like more of the front of his face than the side of it. Proportions look pretty good to me.

Also, I wouldn't do the glasses on a separate layer. Everyone thinks it's harder to paint glasses, but it really helps you break up the face and the eyes. Just draw the damn things, then paint around them (you ca, of course, go over them a little), and then just repaint over them again. It'll work better that way. I promise. Especially compared to you trying to guess what's under them or not considering them as part of the piece for a while.

And you should definitely go for as much detail as possible. Even liver spots, if you can manage. You don't have to be dead on, but just put a little bit of darker skin on the sides of his forehead. All spot like. If it sucks, you can always paint over it. That's the beauty of digital.

Edit: Also, push the left (our left, his right) crease in his cheek out a little farther, and a little straighter. You have it curving in when it's not, so it looks a little weird.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
This discussion has been closed.