As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That looks a lot better than the last version I saw, Tam.

Your proportions actually seem to be pretty good, and it took me some looking at it before I realized that the lenses in the glasses need to be bigger. That could absolutely be throwing the eyes off.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Would love some feedback on my new character Nimm, the Rogue.

Nimm.jpg

Still very early, but how does the pose and design look so far? The right portrait is Nimm in a disguise.

F87 on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ugggghhhhkkkkk trying to remember how this drawing stuff goes. Loose start on a WoW pictar:

country_preacher.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    that is pretty sick

Projeck on
  • Options
    PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Still very early, but how does the pose and design look so far? The right portrait is Nimm in a disguise.

Looking pretty good, but the way his feet hit the ground isn't very convincing and he looks a little rigid. Tweaking the angle and playing with the shadows some more will help I think.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Would love some feedback on my new character Nimm, the Rogue.

Well, gotta say, that's a pretty boring (and, like Poj said, stiff) pose. Try using some action lines as a base to help you determine the pose. And maybe try something not so straight on. At least maybe a 3/4 view if you want to show a lot of the character.

And BOTP'd
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Ugggghhhhkkkkk trying to remember how this drawing stuff goes. Loose start on a WoW pictar:

country_preacher.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cowboyindian.jpg

do be do

This is so super.

JRosey on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JRosey wrote: »
    cowboyindian.jpg

do be do

This is so super.

I agree. I'm sad that he had to burn a native american for warmth.

PROX on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oPVwj.jpg

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    familyv.png

My family pic for my grandma

Prohass on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I dunno. Woman on the rights legs are really wonky.

My friend as a fat yellow man.

FattyMCgoo.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scantly clad girl-hooooo!

Girl_in_undies_50_2009_07_18_thumb.jpg

Click for full size.

Wilhelm_III on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Her legs are awfully flat...

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    that shirt on her feels completely wrong, especially with how the body bulges out from out of it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Penguins that is the sexiest pair of pliers I've ever seen.
    Wilhelm, I think it's pretty damn good ^ but these lads have some points.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Her left arm seems to be bending somewhat uncomfortably as well.

Squidbunny - I love that. Undead warlocks <3

Loose scribblings of a doodle nature (with a stiff as hell pose). Trying to solidify my random thoughts into an actual character design.

Bot2.jpg

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    thats pretty cool. Although youre just getting your thoughts down, her (his?) waist seems really thin. And the crotch/leg area is very robot like.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ref2copy.jpg

More progress. At this point, I realized I drew the original sketch a little off proportion(flattened out everything, not in the sense that I squished the image, but lowered the angle) to the reference I was using, and have subsequently decided not to change it because I'm lazy. As far as I can see, it doesn't change anything major.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    thats pretty cool. Although youre just getting your thoughts down, her (his?) waist seems really thin. And the crotch/leg area is very robot like.

Thanks :) It is a robot. A male one at that (as far as robots have a gender). It's incredibly sloppy at the back of the head and such but those'll be wires. I'm just brainstorming at this point though (and yeah, this drawing is stiff and sloppy and.. ugh), I expect I'll change the shoulders at the very least.

Radar, it's coming along nicely. Maybe it's just my hand (possibly, fat fingers?) but my fingers don't quite come out of the hand like that when I try that pose though.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    koizkoiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dscn0516.jpgw800.png

Acrylics on 30x24 canvas

koiz on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    worstcase wrote: »
    I dunno. Woman on the rights legs are really wonky.

My friend as a fat yellow man.

FattyMCgoo.png

really love this btw

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    JRosey wrote: »
    cowboyindian.jpg

do be do

This is so super.

I agree. I'm sad that he had to burn a native american for warmth.

it's one o' them...one o' them metaphors

Tam on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    koiz wrote: »
    dscn0516.jpg

Those are nice, but everything seems a bit flat. If the sun is in the background there should probably be deeper shadows in the foreground, facing the viewer. As a series they all fit really well with each other, though. :)

Flay on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Thanks :) It is a robot. A male one at that (as far as robots have a gender). It's incredibly sloppy at the back of the head and such but those'll be wires. I'm just brainstorming at this point though (and yeah, this drawing is stiff and sloppy and.. ugh), I expect I'll change the shoulders at the very least.

Radar, it's coming along nicely. Maybe it's just my hand (possibly, fat fingers?) but my fingers don't quite come out of the hand like that when I try that pose though.

I have long thin fingers, myself, but this is irelevant. Here's the ref: I am a reference!

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey thanks Asam. Just for the record i find all the above drawings to be to my liking.

HOWS THAT FOR CRITICISM?!?

worstcase on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hour long things

jerky_copy.jpg
    rammger_small.jpg

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Powerful, exciting and full of passion; is exactly how you wouldn't describe this complete and utter piece of shit.

nosferatu.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I WOULD describe it as pretty good though. Shouldn't the canines be the sharp teeth though?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mustang -- when you're painting, looks like you laid down a base color, then made that color more black for shadows and more white for highlights. Don't do that! For shadows, don't add black-- add the color's complement. Or, rather, move the hue in the direction of the complement.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Penguins, I think I understand. You're right though, I do have the habit of doing as you said, more so out of ignorance than habitual practice though. I tried dumping some environmental reds in after, but I don't think it made much, if any, of an impact. I really do need to do some reading on colours and their crazy experimental properties.

Robuts, I was going for nosferatu teeth, I think they're a bit creepier than regular canine pointers.
    nosferatu.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Actually, don't directly add the color's compliment. That would be too extreme. Rather, a subtler way of doing it (and a more correct one), would be to simply move towards that compliment. Your darkest color probably being at most a yellow orange. In contrast with the green, it'll look red. And gradient your colors towards that. Don't just jump on it.

As for highlights, the same general principle applies. Somewhere in jthere, move it a little towards the compliment, and then have your brightest color actually be the color of your light source. Yellow or blue or whatever it is. It'll add to the three dimensionality of your piece.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah good clarification, Radar. Really though, that bit of advice was probably the most valuable thing anyone ever told me when I started painting not too long ago.

More studies today. This one gave me fits.

TQjPe.jpg

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's so clean. I loves it, I think I shall do studies tonight. Thank you penguin.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Based on how light your highlights are, and how hard that shadow is, there really should be darker shadows on the cup's backside. Even considering relfected light (which should be cooler, not warm yellow, if the surface actually is cyan). Were you referencing this, or just painting from memory?

Also, why is there a violet "U" on the light side of the cup? It shouldn't be there.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Some doodles

A balding fatass, and a piss-poor attempt at Tina Fey
    f9h6hc.jpg

More balding dudes
    mkadt5.jpg

Random aussie home - used google maps
    29e29ty.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bit more work on my T-rex attack, Fixing a few things, changing the dinosaurs that are running and working on the textures. The blood isnt working right now but im working on that
    dinoagain-1.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kiwi's are
    Seedy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think that would work better with your comment as text in the actual piece. I'm not sure that reads as Kiwi, exactly. Though I thought it was funny.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    2ih84tw.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You know, a good way to improve your pieces would be to actually take critique. For this, I would tell you exactly what desperaterobots said pages back. And, if no one said this, your symbol looks like a man running. If it's not supposed to be that, which I don't think it is, that's poor graphic design. If you could tell me what it is supposed to mean, then I can throw some suggestions out.

For the sketches above, you really need to study anatomy and stop making your people so symbolized. They're not even stylized, they're just rudimentary. And for the house, you should relook at your perspective. Very few of the lines match up.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
This discussion has been closed.