As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sagatcopy.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That guy looks pretty badass for being all watercolory. :^:

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sketch for a new painting:
    3745027810_5003ed83f9.jpg

mattharvest on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know what it means, but I love it.

Mustang on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In the spirit of actually drawing, here's something I whipped up tonight. I want to color it, maybe. But I'm a little worried about composition, since I'm not so hot at that. Also, I want his shirt.

Inks_003_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    holy Onimusha eyebrows, Batman!

Tam on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's like the portal gun was low on batteries.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cheap portal gun to save money

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited July 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    holy Onimusha eyebrows, Batman!

I suppose I could shorten those up/rein them in. And thanks for the in-depth critique guys. :P

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited July 2009
    I'm also going to say that the foreshortening on the [our] right arm isn't working. I think maybe it's that the point where the hand meets the wrist isn't defined at all on the pinky side.

so this guy can hit anyone anywhere from any angle, eh?

Tam on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    harow everybody my name is Tie Mie Shu, and I be doodwing for you today, just a rittu free styru
    top.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    et.jpg
    eb.jpg

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited July 2009
    there is actually a rapper called Tai Mai Shu

Tam on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bird Doodles
    burdSketches.png

worstcase on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So THAT'S what happened to my wife.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    DAMN BIRDS

worstcase on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    those birds are pretty good birds.

PROX on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pious wrote: »

Please don't take this the wrong way, please, because your drawings are okay

But they are obfuscated by cross-hatching that appears to have been perpetrated by a seismograph.

Your drawings would be leagues better if you would just choose a focal point through varying values.

Fugitive on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I downloaded the free trial for Zbrush and decided to model a Kroot's head as a way of seeing how awesome the program is. I've got a basic low-poly version in 3DSMax mostly finished up,

krootlowpoly.png

and I was wondering if you duders who've used Zbrush before could give me some pointers on working the program. Do I need to work at the low-poly version much more before I export it?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mattharvest: Lovely playful style, can't wait to see the painting. love the Great Ape.

Radar: I love your line variation, but the face is off a bit. also would like to see his elbow, that might just be me. The stance is spot on!

Worstcase: love the doodles, is that just markers? birds are hella fun to draw...

just a doodle from work...
    doodle2.jpg

brokecracker on
    edited July 2009
    I'm also going to say that the foreshortening on the [our] right arm isn't working. I think maybe it's that the point where the hand meets the wrist isn't defined at all on the pinky side.

so this guy can hit anyone anywhere from any angle, eh?

Hmm... I'll need to get some refs. I did that arm at least three times in three different angles and that was the most natural looking I could get. Not sure how else to define it without it looking like it shouldn't be there. I think the only thing really there is some sort of tendon.

Meh, I roleplay, so this is a pretty old character. Technically, he can control light and shadow. He had a split personality, and his other half could jump through shadows. It was overcome with a near-death experience, so now he can make shadows and jump through them. So, basically, yes, he can punch anyone he can see. But I think he'd drop them in a hole first.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    worstcase wrote: »
    Bird Doodles
    Awesome Birds

Dude, those are great. "Bitch we B flyin'" and "I killed your wife." gave me a good laugh. I always need a good laugh on Monday and Wednesday mornings. One is the beginning of a crappy week and the other is only halfway through that crappy week. Ugh.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited July 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

But they are obfuscated by cross-hatching that appears to have been perpetrated by a seismograph.

Your drawings would be leagues better if you would just choose a focal point through varying values.

Whats funny, I had to use dictionary.com to figure out what two of those words you just used...damn my vocabulary.

But cha cha. I have trouble with focal point/composition. This was spread out over two pages in my sketchy book. And I wanted to draw as fast as I could. I was having some fun.

Someone actually told me I need to try to use more solid black and white with my drawings, which is true. Its just hard to use more solid black and white with a ball point pen.I needz a marker.

How would you vary values? Pwwwweeeze elborate for meh so I be bettur.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ...Someone actually told me I need to try to use more solid black and white with my drawings...

How would you vary values?

I think you just answered your own question there.

Buy some Sharpie Chisel Tips and black out some things and leave some pure white and bob's your uncle.

I don't really know if bob is in fact your uncle but "bob" is a fairly common name so the chances are pretty good.

brokecracker on
    edited July 2009
    ...Someone actually told me I need to try to use more solid black and white with my drawings...

How would you vary values?

I think you just answered your own question there.

Buy some Sharpie Chisel Tips and black out some things and leave some pure white and bob's your uncle.

I don't really know if bob is in fact your uncle but "bob" is a fairly common name so the chances are pretty good.

Lol, My dead granddad was named bob, and my mom called him Boboso in spanish.

But word, I'll be using more solid black and white, I'm looking up on this rule of thirds right now.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

Whats funny, I had to use dictionary.com to figure out what two of those words you just used...damn my vocabulary.

But cha cha. I have trouble with focal point/composition. This was spread out over two pages in my sketchy book. And I wanted to draw as fast as I could. I was having some fun.

Someone actually told me I need to try to use more solid black and white with my drawings, which is true. Its just hard to use more solid black and white with a ball point pen.I needz a marker.

Actually, with a ballpoint it's quite easy to vary values: you can actually get heavier/darker lines vs. lighter/thinner lines due to pressure, so you can control it. Focus on variation of density.

Here's a page of stuff I did around a year ago, ballpoint on notebook paper. It should give you an idea of what I mean.

2785971133_e9777c379a.jpg

mattharvest on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    may as well post this. refined the small dudes, added lights on the bridge and am now throwing in some game props (of course it has to be crates :)). Oh, and threw in 3d model of the bridge support beams, which i will end up tracing over.

dy626e.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I downloaded the free trial for Zbrush and decided to model a Kroot's head as a way of seeing how awesome the program is. I've got a basic low-poly version in 3DSMax mostly finished up,

krootlowpoly.png

and I was wondering if you duders who've used Zbrush before could give me some pointers on working the program. Do I need to work at the low-poly version much more before I export it?

Not really. You could drop that into Z and up the poly count and go to town. It's pretty intuitive.. sometimes.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    I could never understand Zbrush... for some reason. I tried and failed, and usually I'm pretty good with that stuff. :(

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you've used any other 3D tool before, it will confuse the hell out of you. It's alright to go in fresh and keep the basic UI mostly on.

Also, mudbox does a lot of the same things in a more conventional setting.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ldyshitcock.gif
    ltpoopbutt.gif
    old-guy.png
    First try with prismacolor markers.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited July 2009
    Hey i used those on my bird doodles.

I like them okay. Markers in general are pretty entertaining to use

worstcase on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Berp derp.

Some face studies.

headstudycomp.jpg
    sidestudy.jpg

Scosglen on
    edited July 2009
    The center face in the upper row, the eyes look really off. Otherwise, very nice studies.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    edited July 2009
    Paint some ugly people for once, Scos, goddamn

Tam on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Paint some ugly people for once, Scos, goddamn

Unfortunately his house is only full of beautiful people.

PROX on
    edited July 2009
    HEeeeey Zerg....Teach me how to watercolor! PLEASE?
    I'm just so bad...
    DRIPPdrop.png

worstcase on
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like you're using way too much water, man

Charis on
    edited July 2009
    Probably.

I don't even know how to begin.

So, how would you layer them? I mean, do you wait for them all to dry?

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

worstcase on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Actually, with a ballpoint it's quite easy to vary values: you can actually get heavier/darker lines vs. lighter/thinner lines due to pressure, so you can control it. Focus on variation of density.

Here's a page of stuff I did around a year ago, ballpoint on notebook paper. It should give you an idea of what I mean.

2785971133_e9777c379a.jpg

Yeah, ballpoints are great just because they behave so much like pencil, minus smudging/erasing.

You don't have to work in solid blacks and whites to place focus, you just need to not cover every single inch in dark scribbles like you are now. As has already been covered, varying pressure with the ballpoint can give you a lot of control over values. Put it some light-sources - which at the moment are completely absent - and shade accordingly and boom, you have a much clearer drawing.

Also try using more hatching instead of cross-hatching. Cross-hatching when not done well tends to make everything look like a burlap sack. Making all the lines in an area go one direction is a great way to describe the form in addition to laying down value.

Death Chalupa is a really good example of what I'm talking about. Notice how very few of his hatch-marks overlap. Instead he makes groups of lines. Their direction gives you a better sense of the shape of things, and doesn't flatten out the form like overlapping cross-hatching marks tend to. He does overlap a little, but it's only used in small areas and still services the overall goal of describing the form.

Basically the lesson is stop being so uniform.

Fugitive on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would say continue to finish that piece because though you may not be happy with it, you've got some interesting color combinations going on.

earthwormadam on
This discussion has been closed.