As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    those lines work when the person has strong confidence in the subject matter they are drawing
    what you really need to work on is your forms, construction and producing colors that aren't muddied all to hell.

why don't you just start drawing people? like skip all the stylization, and the painting and all that, just sketch people, because your people always look sort of like mutants.
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Seriously. I want to see you posting some anatomy and portraiture studies.

I agree. But at the moment, my uni work requires me to do this stuff, even if i dont understand it well enough. As soon as im finished uni in november (its my final year!) i'll be doing shit loads of studies.

Jesus, I'm horrified that whatever university you are going to is pushing it's students to skip steps in their development. Just out of interest how would you honestly rate yourself amoungst your class mates? Please don't be modest, i'd really like to know what level our universities students are at.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Quick and simple drawing
    2_copy.jpg

One of her hands suffer from man-handitest. Whateves.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    20 minute tattoo design for a mate
    I generally like people to spend at least 30 minutes on my tattoo designs.

Those sketches are pin-uptastic, Bacon.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Pious it looks like you are getting some control over your lines, I like the clean look of that.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ArfenhouseArfenhouse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    those lines work when the person has strong confidence in the subject matter they are drawing
    what you really need to work on is your forms, construction and producing colors that aren't muddied all to hell.

why don't you just start drawing people? like skip all the stylization, and the painting and all that, just sketch people, because your people always look sort of like mutants.
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Seriously. I want to see you posting some anatomy and portraiture studies.

I agree. But at the moment, my uni work requires me to do this stuff, even if i dont understand it well enough. As soon as im finished uni in november (its my final year!) i'll be doing shit loads of studies.

Jesus, I'm horrified that whatever university you are going to is pushing it's students to skip steps in their development. Just out of interest how would you honestly rate yourself amoungst your class mates? Please don't be modest, i'd really like to know what level our universities students are at.

As a fellow Uni student, I can wholeheartedly claim that, no offense WCK, he is not an accurate representation of current Uni levels. Whether or not his specific school is lackluster in the art department, I don't know. However, I see shit every day in class that rocks the pants off so-called "master works".

WCK, you REALLY need to make the time to do anatomy and life studies. Drawing Conan or Leno every night a couple of times doesn't count. I'm talking sketchbooks full of gestures and studies. FULL. Right now, I'm sitting on at least 10 full sketchbooks from just last year. Stop drawing your imagination stuff, and draw real figures. You've made a lot of progress in the last few months, but you'd make leaps and bounds if you'd actually do what we all want you to do here.

And just FYI, I'm not saying you should stop doing your "style" or whatever. But even the most stylized comic artists of all time have a strong, STRONG foundation in the fundamentals. I guarantee you that 99% percent of them can sit down and draw a relatively accurate depiction of the human body/form just from having learned it in the past.

Last thing: As good as university can be for teaching you some things, no teacher or group of teachers will teach you everything. A lot of teachers have their own perspectives on what is right and wrong that will piss you off because it's so close-minded. Art is as much self-taught as it is taught by others. The danger of it being partially self-taught is that you tend to want to do things that aren't productive. Fight that, like I have to fight ordering pizza everytime I watch A Goofy Movie.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    god i want to order pizza all the time

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Since I bothered to photograph it (surprisingly), progress on my gouache portrait. The linework was projected from a photo so don't get too excited.
    gouache_1.jpg

Also Jeff did all that nice swirly brushwork in the hair because I've been wussing out from tackling that area.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i really enjoy looking at that piece of artwork

RubberAC on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow that's some really sweet rendering, Bacon.

Tam on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that is some slick rendering, indeed.

the fact that it is gouache kind of blows my mind. I know part of it is that I have only ever used really bad gouache, but it has always been an immensely frustrating medium for me

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I finished designing this insert for the CD single my roomate is putting out. Since it's not new thread worthy I'll just stick it here for now. Sorta a play on robot chicken.

Front and back...

singleFRONTpreview.jpg
    singleBACKpreview.jpg

Glad to finally be done with this, as now I can work on other things that aren't photo manipulation in PS.

They should be getting printed up this weekend. If I knew formers in my area, I would totally pass out copies of these. Unfortunately I think I live in NH by my lonesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    HAHAHAH i love it!

and JESUS bacon that is awesome!

beavotron on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »

They arent pushing us to skip steps. if anything, my tutor encourages us to study life drawing in our own time, and to go through books etc.
    Id rate myself as probably one of the weakest students (im not being modest). But im kinda catching up because i put in lots of time.
    Arfenhouse wrote: »
    As a fellow Uni student, I can wholeheartedly claim that, no offense WCK, he is not an accurate representation of current Uni levels. Whether or not his specific school is lackluster in the art department, I don't know. However, I see shit every day in class that rocks the pants off so-called "master works".

WCK, you REALLY need to make the time to do anatomy and life studies. Drawing Conan or Leno every night a couple of times doesn't count. I'm talking sketchbooks full of gestures and studies. FULL. Right now, I'm sitting on at least 10 full sketchbooks from just last year. Stop drawing your imagination stuff, and draw real figures. You've made a lot of progress in the last few months, but you'd make leaps and bounds if you'd actually do what we all want you to do here.

And just FYI, I'm not saying you should stop doing your "style" or whatever. But even the most stylized comic artists of all time have a strong, STRONG foundation in the fundamentals. I guarantee you that 99% percent of them can sit down and draw a relatively accurate depiction of the human body/form just from having learned it in the past.

Last thing: As good as university can be for teaching you some things, no teacher or group of teachers will teach you everything. A lot of teachers have their own perspectives on what is right and wrong that will piss you off because it's so close-minded. Art is as much self-taught as it is taught by others. The danger of it being partially self-taught is that you tend to want to do things that aren't productive. Fight that, like I have to fight ordering pizza everytime I watch A Goofy Movie.

My course isnt really an art course. Which may be why im not an 'accurate representation' of current uni levels. Basically,
    Im studying 'Visual Communications' or rather 'Graphic Design'. First year was totally graphic design. So working with typography, layout, and all that shit. After first year, it was a choice of, continuing graphic design for the next two years, or move into illustration. I moved into illustration.
    The course isnt about 'teaching' us to paint/draw etc. Its about learning to visualise, represent meaning through images. Its about learning the conceptual skills rather than technique. My tutors (whos work are freaking sweet) really get us students in the class to focus on our ideas and concept skills, its not about fine art or perfection.
    This year we've had individual projects which we can choose whichever area we want to move into. Ive chosen 'concept art'. Others have chosen 'editorial illustration', 'childrens book illustration', 'graphic novels' etc.

So yeah, its not a traditional 'art school', its basically graphic design, majoring in illustration.

EDIT: While im here, more dudes with mullets! :)

5k3l83.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's fine and dandy, as long as you don't care about actually getting a job illustrating things. "Graphic design, majoring in illustration" is a phrase that makes no sense to me, in that same way that "shortstop for the Chicago Bulls" doesn't make sense to me. While there may be some overlap in the skillset, illustration is really not a subset of graphic design at a fundamental level.

Not a criticism of you, just an observation that you school is most likely blowing smoke up your ass if they don't put a major emphasis on rigorous teaching of drawing fundamentals and then tell you you'll be able to roll out and be able to make a career as an illustrator.

And thanks guys, glad to see my patience with this thing is paying off.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You're an asshole. My father played shortstop for the Chicago Bulls for three decades.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    You're an asshole. My father played BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK for three decades.

huh??

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He-Man in the bushes better be a lyric on one of those tracks. if so i am tracking that down

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not cool man. He was key to the team.
    That's why he missed all my little league ball games.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hahahahaha, Adam, that is wonderful.

And wicked sweet renderings on that portrait, Baconator!

WCK, does that mean that this upcoming year is your last?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since I bothered to photograph it (surprisingly), progress on my gouache portrait. The linework was projected from a photo so don't get too excited.
    gouache_1.jpg

Also Jeff did all that nice swirly brushwork in the hair because I've been wussing out from tackling that area.

This is a great work in progress, but who's the subject?

Last time I checked you looked nothing like that.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's fine and dandy, as long as you don't care about actually getting a job illustrating things. "Graphic design, majoring in illustration" is a phrase that makes no sense to me, in that same way that "shortstop for the Chicago Bulls" doesn't make sense to me. While there may be some overlap in the skillset, illustration is really not a subset of graphic design at a fundamental level.

Not a criticism of you, just an observation that you school is most likely blowing smoke up your ass if they don't put a major emphasis on rigorous teaching of drawing fundamentals and then tell you you'll be able to roll out and be able to make a career as an illustrator.

Well, lets say, you have a good portfolio for graphic design, and you can also show you can illustrate, wouldnt you be more valuable to clients/employees because you have skills in both? My tutor does freelance work as a graphic designer, but also as an illustrator.
    Also, uni is mostly bullshit. At the end of the day, its all about the paper

BTW, your gouache painting looks badass :) i hate gouache! so hard to use

Yep. Sending out portfolios soon. Hoping for the best :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    gouache_1.jpg

This is a great work in progress, but who's the subject?

Last time I checked you looked nothing like that.

It's a picture out of a collection of Life magazine photos I got at Borders on the cheap.

You do realize there's a difference between the terms "portrait" and "self portrait", right? It was a joke and you're not just that dumb, right?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Well, lets say, you have a good portfolio for graphic design, and you can also show you can illustrate, wouldnt you be more valuable to clients/employees because you have skills in both? My tutor does freelance work as a graphic designer, but also as an illustrator.

It works out great- as long as you have enough dedication to put in the time and work of two equally dedicated people, in order to actually be competent at both things. If you don't, you end up splitting focus, and you lose out the jobs you want to people that put all their energy into getting that sort of job.

If someone needs to hire an illustrator, why would they take a guy who's an "ok" graphic designer and an "ok" illustrator over someone who is a great illustrator, when the cost would be the same; or the ok guy tries to undercut the great guy on price, is it worth the blow to quality that comes with it, if what that means is they'll sell less product as a result of lesser quality artwork?

And if your tutor is doing top-level traditional illustration work, I'd ask if the skill to do so came as a result of your seemingly half-assed graphic design program, or of getting more fundamentals-based drawing training elsewhere? I just don't see a Rockwell/Cornwell/Frazetta level illustrator coming out of a program so seemingly confused about the role of traditional drawing skills in illustration.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i suppose. anyway i have no intention of getting a job in graphic design. Too boring. Afer im finished in november and have sent out intitial portfolios, it will be all drawing and painting studies

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit this is amazing.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhf3OvRXKg&e

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, uni is mostly bullshit. At the end of the day, its all about the paper

Yep. Sending out portfolios soon. Hoping for the best :)

In the art world, the paper hardly matters at all. Employers like to see it, sure, but they are hiring you because of your portfolio.

You need to do a lot... A LOT more work before I would consider your work portfolio and professional ready. You don't seem to understand how far behind on fundamentals you are. Go to an atelier, because, while this may seem cruel, you won't be getting significant work on your current skill set.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i suppose. anyway i have no intention of getting a job in graphic design. Too boring. Afer im finished in november and have sent out intitial portfolios, it will be all drawing and painting studies

consider skipping the initial portfolio send out and instead either focusing on your own, or going to an atelier of some sort to get the VERY IMPORTANT fundamentals that you have skipped.

do not go just sending out portfolios to clients and employers when you're not ready
    not only will they just ignore it, but thats the first impression you're ever going to make on that client

university means dick all, the paper, none of it

no one cares that you went to school
    no one cares about your major
    they are going to look at your portfolio, see amateur level work and pass it off for the next one

that sounds so mean, but you've decided to make this your profession, so i'm being real with you.
    it is a harsh, cut throat industry
    so it's all buttercups and roses while it's your hobby, but as soon as your profession it's fuckin' serious business 24/7

the serious serious business of drawing cute baby penguins (if i ever make a book, that's what it's going to be called)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DJ_Red_Panda_by_thanekats.jpg

the earphones and the bottom of the podium are off, but i was too far gone by then to fix them.
    But hes a DJ so he doesn't care about important things like that, only about free drinks and the ladies

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    More art... this is all part of a portfolio push to get more sci fi/fantasy work.

valley.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    those things next to the solar/wind energy gatherers, are they buildings? They look a bit bland/boxish.
    But yeah this is pretty much wizard

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The pillars are bending in space, almost like it could be a fisheye effect, but then you have the angular buildings on either side with straight lines. I'd say to straighten them up a bit.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    dj panda!

<3!

beavotron on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wassermelone, I'd love to see your painting process sometime. You get amazingly vibrant colors and great values.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    dj panda!

<3!

I'm kinda obsessed with Red Pandas to the degree that i thought they needed a DJ

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    dj panda!

<3!

I'm kinda obsessed with Red Pandas to the degree that i thought they needed a DJ

my god, i am also obsessed with them
    i can't stop drawing them

just all day, e'ryday drawin' red pandas

beavotron on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should go to the San Diego Zoo where they have one that actually likes people.

rts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No bear is humanity's friend. It's a ruse to get us to let our guard down.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's the thing about bear attacks, they come when you least expect them.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    me2copy.jpg

Work doodle.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I follow the old theory that they were part of the raccoon family. I accept no current and scientifictly proven theory that says otherwise.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
This discussion has been closed.