As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    <3

Very nice Moss :D

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    gasp its a moss

Loomdun on
    splat
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moss used to get drunk and IM me on AIM. He thinks he's too good for that now.

Metalbourne on
    edited July 2009
    I want a drunk moss to IM me on AIM

Loomdun on
    splat
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He's straight.

Metalbourne on
    edited July 2009
    So?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No. Fuck oil. I need someone to teach me how to use it.

Work VERY THIN, block in underlays and then gradually build up to thicker paint. I think they are great, but unless you have the right facilities (like a proper studio) then its a bitch. It's slower, smellier and messy. At least with acrylics you can work fast.

There's plenty of ways to handle oil paint. If you don't have the patience to let it dry, you don't have to work in layers like this.

I prefer to work thick. The tactile sensation of really pushing the paint around is what I like about working in oil.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, see, I'm not sure I can handle doing a layer of thin paint then waiting a few days before I can work on it again without smooshing everything to a muddy gray. I just don't have the patience.

Learn to work alla prima.

rts on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Yeah, see, I'm not sure I can handle doing a layer of thin paint then waiting a few days before I can work on it again without smooshing everything to a muddy gray. I just don't have the patience.

Learn to work alla prima.

I love pasta

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You have an epic brain Moss, and it's on my list for consumption.

Mustang on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes Moss, yes.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    R-R-R-Remix.

c2abde47331d983041b227652e67607c.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    RubberAC wrote: »
    When designing characters for something like a webcomic, simplicity and difficulty are really important
    do you really want to redraw that tentacle, complete with suction cups et al a jillion times? Will they be easily recognizable next to other characters? Right now your design is pretty cookie cutter sci fi lookin dude, and also you know if you want people to actually read your webcomic it will take a lot of work and man,
    you have to actually want to devote time to it.

You make a good point, RubberAC. I can see where you're coming from with the cookie cutter design on mine. As for the detail, I couldn't disagree with you more. For one, this is an extremely simplified style I employ when I feel like working fast. Normally, I am much, much more detailed and precise. Both of those characters combined maybe took me twenty to twenty five minutes. Not long at all, considering how I might spend two to three hours on a duo of character normally. The tentacle wasn't really hard, nor annoying. It just looks like it because the suction cups give it a lot of form.

And really, like you said, you have to want to devote time to it. One of my favorite artists is Kentaro Miura. He draws the comic Berserk, which if you haven't read, is insanely detailed. All black and white. None of his character designs are very simplified at all. And yes, he doesn't push out volume like mainstream graphic novels, but damn, they look good. And he has a strong fanbase for that. There is no such thing as too detailed, as long as you can handle it. And I think I can.

I have to agree with Rubber here, though. Even if you wanted to draw that thing all the time, the alien character just doesn't work the way I think you want it too. That is to say it doesn't work.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Ok, fair enough.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DUDELE!
    Creature.jpg

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I realized today that, in all my years of nerdery, I had never once drawn or even attempted to draw anything resembling an orc.

Scriboodle!:

071309orc.jpg

Sonic on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    he looks too human

RubberAC on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Made one of my buds a Street Fighter themed birthday card. I spent way too much time on it for only one person to see it.

Front:

cardfront.jpg

Back: (spoilered for bigness)
    [cardback.jpg[/URL]

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    he looks too human

Oops, I forgot I was suppose to draw them like everyone else. (But I agree...)

revision:

071309orcb.jpg

Sonic on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Better. Reminds me of Metzen's illustrations of orcs.
    Hellscream2.jpg

TheBog on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I may be alone on this, but early Metzen work seems like it comes from a guy who isn't a professional, but is pretty good and is super enthusiastic.

Of course, that could be the truth.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I may be alone on this, but early Metzen work seems like it comes from a guy who isn't a professional, but is pretty good and is super enthusiastic.

Yeah, I remember feeling exactly this way looking through the Warcraft 1 & 2 manuals: "this is a professional artist?"

Ironically, that may have been one of the things that kept me drawing, since it seemed so achievable.

mattharvest on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    pic im working on for a mod team. its a promo poster which will be pinned up around our booth at Adelaides Avcon. trying to get the composition looking interesting. crits?

sqjwx3.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure if the door is shaped like a trapezium, if it's tilted backwards or it's using extreme perspective. Also, the rafters on the sides don't seem to lead anywhere.

I must say though, your enviros are certainly improving WCK. :)

Flay on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Where is your horizon line? I'm confused.

I'd try making that horizontal camera-tilt less extreme, maybe half the angle you have now. Put a figure right at the foot of the door if you want to really get some scale going. Remember that the lines/detail on those rathers should recede/shrink at the same rate that your other figures do -- right now they actually make the door look kinda ordinary because the details closest to the door aren't much smaller than those very close to the camera.

desperaterobots on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, I remember feeling exactly this way looking through the Warcraft 1 & 2 manuals: "this is a professional artist?"

Ironically, that may have been one of the things that kept me drawing, since it seemed so achievable.

Just want to chime in the echo chamber here

Metzen looked like someone brought his fairly talented, untrained teenaged son in to do some work. My first exposure was in the Starcraft manuals and I first wondered why Samwise's quality varied so much, but then I noticed the signatures.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    cheers for the tips on the enviro fellas. ill post an update tomo

heres a sketch i did tonight during letterman.

1zeilqx.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited July 2009
    lol, thats so aussie.

e: although, one of them has right hand drive, the other has left hand drive. :|

desperaterobots on
    edited July 2009
    lol, thats so aussie.

e: although, one of them has right hand drive, the other has left hand drive. :|

Lets just assume the guy giving the finger is the drivers mate ;) That or he's driving a badass 1980s pontiac

ALSO - Just for the hell of it. Heres my image (minor edit) with grid. Im shite at 3 point so im probably waaaaay off. but im sure you guys can see where the horizon is supposed tobe.

2vmx7aq.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited July 2009
    aw man i've edited this post like 4 times now:

I had to paint over to demonstrate. Took me about 15 mins, apologies if this oversteps. I just think you could push the lighting/narrative and perspective, this is kind of what i meant in the description above.
    wckpaint.jpg

edit:
    Also you should know this isn't 3-point perspective, it's almost entirely 1 point perspective, except for your big door which is trying to demonstrate its massiveness by pulling toward a second perspective point. It doesn't really work though, because all your other figures aren't being drawn toward the same point. So, really, it sort of just looks like a weirdly shaped door. I didn't want to change that, but it might be worth considering which direction you're going to go in.

Vertical perspective points aren't often use in scenes where the focus is on the horizon, because in every day life we'd only really notice that kind of thing if we were looking up. It's hard to look up AND at the horizon at the same time. So most of your vertical lines would be straight up and down.

ALSO wanted to say that some of the lines you make when you're trying to do perspective stuff sometimes feel VERY counter-intuitive. Like the upmost lines of those rafter things I added are at a very oblique angle which felt really unnatural to draw. I get this crawling feeling sometimes when I do this stuff because it FEELS wrong. Try experimenting with more extreme lines and see what happens.

Actually, here's with the straight door. I don't think it's an improvement, i like the original shape, but it makes more visual sense. Maybe try your door shape, but without fucking around with that second perspective point.
    wckpaintsquaredoor.jpg

desperaterobots on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

And you'd be right. Metzen was primarily Blizzard's story writer (he wrote all those backstory things in the manuals) and just happened to be handy with a pencil as well. IIRC, he currently holds the title of "lore master" and is responsible for all the gobbledegook that goes on within the warcraft and starcraft universes.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited July 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    Reminds me of Metzen's illustrations of orcs.
    :(

Sonic on
    edited July 2009
    WCK: Listen to Desperaterobots. The man's spot on.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, you should definitely NOT feel bad about being compared to one of the greatest creative minds in modern gaming.

Even if he lacked the polish of better artists, he clearly had a vision and a style that he adhered to (a sort of noir fantasy).

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i love the aging rocker gut that orc has in the 5th pic

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My cell phone broke

Friendz.png

worstcase on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pfft, friends are over-rated.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    More work sketches. We've been really slow the past two days...

Pencil_Sketch_007_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

Pencil_Sketch_006_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
This discussion has been closed.