Options

Lookouts Guest Artists

• Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gah, just trying to digest the comic with your eyes is difficult. It hurts to focus on it. That's not me saying "it's so terrible I can't look at it!", thats me saying that it is physically difficult to focus on the comic.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    I think perhaps the worst thing about the artwork is that there's no sense of depth to any of the panels, and each one is trying to show things happening in different planes. The first one is especially bad - it looks like every figure, stone and scout and master, are all clumped in a pile at the exact same distance from the viewer. Even the one that's ostensibly in the foreground manages to look like just a giant statue rather than something in the near field.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I can't see how people have a problem with what's going on in the comic. In the bottom row of panels, from left to right:
    1. The Scoutmaster has his back to the basilisk.
    2. The kid with the knife is using his knife to create a reflection so that he does not look at the basilisk directly.
    3. One child is quivering behind a statue, his arm is draped around it, you can also make out the top of the head.
    4. The red headed child has his back to the monster and uses his cloak to hide his eyes.
    5. The blond child is lying down and has his head to the ground.
    6. The silhouette of the Scoutmaster is being knocked to the ground, by the basilisk's tail.

Ok and why is he apologizing to the scouts? I mean his intent was to show them how to kill the beast, and instead he gets knocked out by it. So uhh way to go champ.

Yeah, I still don't get that. I assume he's apologizing because he knows they're going to get fucked, but why does he think that? How does he even know the basilisk is there? Or is he apologizing for something different?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Why is the scoutmaster apologising, though? And why is he doing it while striking a pose?

Well his back IS turned to us. Maybe he whipped it out?

That would be interesting, if the basilisk was the good guy, just trying to prevent them boys from getting molested the only way he knows how: by turning them into stone.

In the next episode, he'll be working to undo the financial crisis the only way he knows how: by turning it into stone. Stay tuned.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well the one thing I've always liked in Gabes different styles is that he has clear character seperation, this comic does not and its the worse for it. I mean look at the first panel all of the characters kind of blend into each other.

Its an interesting style, but it clashes with the comics first duty which is show the action of the story. The fact we all have different interpretations as to what actually happened is a bad thing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think perhaps the worst thing about the artwork is that there's no sense of depth to any of the panels, and each one is trying to show things happening in different planes. The first one is especially bad - it looks like every figure, stone and scout and master, are all clumped in a pile at the exact same distance from the viewer. Even the one that's ostensibly in the foreground manages to look like just a giant statue rather than something in the near field.

Yeah, I actually just now realized that they weren't climbing a tree or something in the first panel.

I love the design and coloration of the basilisk, though.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Campion edited the comic so that we could understand it.

What I'm noticing is that there's a very manga(eewww) style panel arrangement on the right of the normal comic, but that it's not showing anything happening progressively, so it's pointless.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Re: Look at design of the basalisk, in G&T's initial comic, the lookouts describe them like this:

"They are vile chickens!"
    "No! They are walking bats!"
    "They are birds, but not birds."
    The Master: "He has the right of it. They are wrong things. And I will show you how to put them right."

So blame G&T for the style of the cockat...basilisk.

I think originally cockatrices and basilisks were more or less the same thing, but they've since become same or different based on who's "lore" you use. Also, according to wikipedia: "The cockatrice was first described in the late twelfth century based on a hint in Pliny's Natural History,[2] as a duplicate of the basilisk[3] or regulus, though, unlike the basilisk, the cockatrice has wings."

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My big problem with today's comic, besides the busy art people have spent most of this thread talking about, was just how much Gabe's post today read like a press release.

How much longer until we get Gabe Presents: For the True Believers only? :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man looking back at the original, just reminds me of the wasted potential in this. I dunno what it is with how Mike draws mouths when talking but it works for me, where as other comics (and this one especially) don't do that well so it looks like the characters are talking with their minds. Also the original had more individual characterization in the limited bit we can see. This just seems rushed.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SQUIRREL!SQUIRREL! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, honestly, I think the art style from the strip is just one that's really unfit for comics. It's better for a painting or single piece, not for frame-by-frame storytelling.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I was aware that G&T started the basilisk/cockitrice confusion. Still annoys me.

And pikapuff's remix is much better.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    God, I still just can't get over how funhouse mirror the second-to-last panel looks.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    bravofourbravofour Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Very disappointed in the Lookouts comic. So much so in fact that I registered just to bring it up. Loved the art style of Gabe's version. And what happened with the story in this one? If you remember the podcast they debated whether or not to kill of the scoutmaster right away and decided they should wait. What happens to the kids now that he's gone? Might as well get eaten.

Cheated is a good word. I was under the impression Gabe would be doing the comic, and I definately did not get what I thought I was.

bravofour on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That said, I really hope the strip's creators don't wander in here. Hey, Ms. Strip Artist? I'm sure you're a wonderful person! Please don't cry!

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually emailed them when I heard the podcast telling them they were most likely thinking of a cockatrice.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The character redesign is eeuuhg.

Except for the tall kid, who now looks slightly better.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    The character redesign is eeuuhg.

Except for the tall kid, who now looks slightly better.

Except for the eyes reflecting in the blade in the second panel. They just shouldn't have bothered.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The blond one's head is so grossly distended. I used to make things like him in Fight Night 3 for the express purpose of being beaten even uglier, but that doesn't mean he needs to be put in a comic.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    CatamaranCatamaran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    its just a shame, a group of talented individuals yield a product that ignores one of the most important rules of illustration: make you message clear.

we COULD figure wtf is going on, but it should be easy, like any of PA's comics.

Catamaran on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't see how people have a problem with what's going on in the comic. In the bottom row of panels, from left to right:
    2. The kid with the knife is using his knife to create a reflection so that he does not look at the basilisk directly.
    3. One child is quivering behind a statue, his arm is draped around it, you can also make out the top of the head.
    4. The red headed child has his back to the monster and uses his cloak to hide his eyes.
    6. The silhouette of the Scoutmaster is being knocked to the ground, by the basilisk's tail.

Ok and why is he apologizing to the scouts? I mean his intent was to show them how to kill the beast, and instead he gets knocked out by it. So uhh way to go champ.

Yeah, I still don't get that. I assume he's apologizing because he knows they're going to get fucked, but why does he think that? How does he even know the basilisk is there? Or is he apologizing for something different?
    he's apologizing for the pun, clearly
    "This foul day may yet find you earn your badges."

Antimatter on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I actually emailed them when I heard the podcast telling them they were most likely thinking of a cockatrice.

OTOH, Tycho knows goddamn near everything about manticores.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My first impression was that the Scout Leader may have noticed that the blond kid saw the Basilisk, and knew that he had failed in protecting them, which is why he says he's sorry right before he gets knocked out.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The only way I can make sense of it, is that it just now dawned on him that leading a group of young boys to fight a basilisk is not a smart idea, and that they're all about to die because he was such a dumbass. If that's true then, uh, I guess Lookouts is over? Or it'll start with all new characters on friday? Whatever happens, it's pissing me off, because I really loved the first one.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The first Lookouts, because the newsposts don't link back to it.

Know how blond one looked at the basilisk without dying? He's uglier now.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

he's apologizing for the pun, clearly
    "This foul day may yet find you earn your badges."

This works for me.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

The only way I can make sense of it, is that it just now dawned on him that leading a group of young boys to fight a basilisk is not a smart idea, and that they're all about to die because he was such a dumbass. If that's true then, uh, I guess Lookouts is over? Or it'll start with all new characters on friday? Whatever happens, it's pissing me off, because I really loved the first one.

maybe it's a plot point, and his job isn't to teach kids, but to bring them out their as sacrifices.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

My speculation? Its not over, Tall kid will most likely attempt to slay the basilisk, be hurt and one of the other 2 kids will somehow manage to kill it

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Like I said before, I think he's apologizing to the petrified kids. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I'd want the guest artist to read the complaints if only to see the biggest one is "What the fuck is going on?"

I mean thats just a basic critique of the comic. I don't know how everyone else who saw this in advance didn't figure the flow was hard to follow. Unless of course they saw it as a whole and as a whole it makes more sense.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Glad you guys like my lookouts but please give Becky a chance. I asked her to do this because I love her style.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SQUIRREL! wrote: »
    Like I said before, I think he's apologizing to the petrified kids. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

He could be apologising to the petrified kids who were already there from past attempts.

Or he could be apolosiging to this new group as he notices that the blonde kid just got petrified.

Or he could apologise for the pun.

These all sound equally plausible to me because the comic gives absolutely no indication whatsoever who or what he's apologising to or for.

Slightly less plausible is that he brought the kids there to die, but it's still fairly plausible aswell.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

He could be apologising to the petrified kids who were already there from past attempts.

Or he could be apolosiging to this new group as he notices that the blonde kid just got petrified.

These all sound equally plausible to me because the comic gives absolutely no indication whatsoever who or what he's apologising to or for.

Slightly less plausible is that he brought the kids there to die, but it's still fairly plausible aswell.

I feel like he should be looking at someone if he is appologizing to them. Instead of just looking off at the trees.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Glad you guys like my lookouts but please give Becky a chance. I asked her to do this because I love her style.

Well the issue with Mike is he's seen their full comic and we've just seen the confusing muddled first part. One cans still appreciate someones art and realize it doesn't work well for other peoples characters.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honestly it sounds like he's led them all into a trap and then wham the cockalisk betrays him too!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I feel like he should be looking at someone if he is appologizing to them. Instead of just looking off at the trees.

Well I feel he shouldn't be striking a pose while apologising, but he's doing it anyway.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    None of the kids are petrified, the blonde kid is behind ginger's cloak with his face on the ground. Nothing indicates he's aware of the basilisk, and nothing indicates that he's sorry for a pun, if it was indeed meant to be a pun. It makes sense because he's looking back at the petrified kids completely unaware of the basilisk. If he brought the kids there to die, why is he the first one to catch a tail to the face?

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    looking at it again, I think he's apologizing to the petrified kids

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    None of the kids are petrified, the blonde kid is behind ginger's cloak with his face on the ground. Nothing indicates he's aware of the basilisk, and nothing indicates that he's sorry for a pun, if it was indeed meant to be a pun. It makes sense because he's looking back at the petrified kids completely unaware of the basilisk. If he brought the kids there to die, why is he the first one to catch a tail to the face?

He is on an even plane with the petrified kid in the scene. They both have their feet on the rise of the hill, right where it meets with the horizon. His back is turned away from the petrified kid...and everything else.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I posted this in the comic thread, thought I'd see what you guys thought
    I can see all the kids in the second to last panel, but what I don't get is how 3 of the 4 kids don't get turned to stone. ONLY ONE OF THEM IS LOOKING AT A REFLECTION.

Also, you can totally see the basilisk's tail in the third panel, coming out of the lower left corner.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.