Options

Lookouts Guest Artists

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, the blond kid didn't get petrified?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After going back and looking at it, I'm wondering if maybe the next-to-last panel is what's going through the leader's head as he gets hit by the monster's tail.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, I was aware that G&T started the basilisk/cockitrice confusion. Still annoys me.

No, they didn't start it. Mister Medieval McDouchebag did (whoever he was).

Seriously, some monsters are really damn similar. For example, can anyone tell me what the difference between a griffin, a hippogriff, and an opinicus is without looking them up?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SQUIRREL!SQUIRREL! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    SQUIRREL! wrote: »
    None of the kids are petrified, the blonde kid is behind ginger's cloak with his face on the ground. Nothing indicates he's aware of the basilisk, and nothing indicates that he's sorry for a pun, if it was indeed meant to be a pun. It makes sense because he's looking back at the petrified kids completely unaware of the basilisk. If he brought the kids there to die, why is he the first one to catch a tail to the face?

He is on an even plane with the petrified kid in the scene. They both have their feet on the rise of the hill, right where it meets with the horizon. His back is turned away from the petrified kid...and everything else.

Well, yes, but the art is bad for telling this kind of story. Besides, you people need to stop 'sperging about it, he doesn't have to be looking right at the petrified kids to apologize to their deceased souls or something. It's like pouring the top off a forty for your peeps and doing that two fingered kiss thing at the sky. It would certainly help if we could tell where the hell his apology was directed, but the most fitting theory is that he's generally apologizing to the dead ones.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    nosnibor wrote: »
    I posted this in the comic thread, thought I'd see what you guys thought
    I can see all the kids in the second to last panel, but what I don't get is how 3 of the 4 kids don't get turned to stone. ONLY ONE OF THEM IS LOOKING AT A REFLECTION.

Also, you can totally see the basilisk's tail in the third panel, coming out of the lower left corner.

Huh.

See, now that's a good little hidden detail. That's what this artistic style could be good for. If we could tell clearly what was going on in the rest of the strip, that little detail would be great.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Why is the scoutmaster apologising, though? And why is he doing it while striking a pose?

I think he's apologizing because they're out there for their basilisk badges, there are no basilisk there, and there's no badge for cockatrice wrangling.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    I can see all the kids in the second to last panel, but what I don't get is how 3 of the 4 kids don't get turned to stone. ONLY ONE OF THEM IS LOOKING AT A REFLECTION.

Also, you can totally see the basilisk's tail in the third panel, coming out of the lower left corner.

Huh.

See, now that's a good little hidden detail. That's what this artistic style could be good for. If we could tell clearly what was going on in the rest of the strip, that little detail would be great.

Maybe the entire story is meant to be a hidden detail within the piece.

I do like the style. I wouldn't mind having a piece of it hanging in my house. But for this particular strip, it is dreadfully confusing.

I'll keep an open mind, though. If the second strip is better, I'll be cool with it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have they said if guest artists would do Automata too?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KungFu wrote: »
    Have they said if guest artists would do Automata too?

No they are doing the automata strips.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Huh.

I do like the style. I wouldn't mind having a piece of it hanging in my house. But for this particular strip, it is dreadfully confusing.

I'll keep an open mind, though. If the second strip is better, I'll be cool with it.

I also like the art style, I just think the standard comic book paneling makes it kind of cramped. It's easy to see how different this would be spread out on a piece of canvas.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darkgrue wrote: »
    Why is the scoutmaster apologising, though? And why is he doing it while striking a pose?

I think he's apologizing because they're out there for their basilisk badges, there are no basilisk there, and there's no badge for cockatrice wrangling.

Ohhhhhh. He isn't aware it's behind him, turns around, kids are hiding/using mirrors/petrifying, and then THWACK.

This makes sense.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Huh.

Yeah, honestly, some of the strips on her website are cute and enjoyable and work. It works in a certain context. Maybe she can do something better, like you said, but really she'd have to vastly change the deformed, warped visual style before I can enjoy it.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    darkgrue wrote: »

Basilisk.gif

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mythical

creatures.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mostly, I dislike the brightness of the art in the guest drawn strip. The original comic really did a good job of conveying the light quality you get in a forest, the mix of darkness and light filtered through a canopy. The new strip has far too much white space.

Basically, the new artists completely failed to convey the sense of setting that Gabe communicated so well in the original strip. I don't mind different artists, or even a different art style, but the new strip doesn't do justice to the original.

I'm sort of reminded of that Simpson's episode where Itchy and Scratchy got replaced with some soviet knock off.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mythical

creatures.

ARE

SERIOUS

BUSINESS.

Next we'll be arguing over whether manticores should or should't have wings. Hopefully Tycho will be able to set us straight before it comes down to a knife fight.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Mythical

creatures.

ARE

SERIOUS

BUSINESS.

Next we'll be arguing over whether manticores should or should't have wings. Hopefully Tycho will be able to set us straight before it comes down to a knife fight.

Better be a Knife +1, or you won't be able to hit it. :P

To provide actual content, I didn't like the guest strip at all, for all of the reasons that have already been mentioned. I didn't not like it just because it was different, but I just didn't like it. The colors really bothered me. I'm willing to give different a chance, but this is different in a direction I don't really care for.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It seems this new artist had no idea how to draw the masters face. I see the back of his head in every panel hes in. Aside from the cock he has for a nose in the first panel.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I get the feeling that Gabe and Tycho just decided they would rather make Automata, which is personally disappointing to me because I didn't care for Automata at all. Oh well, it's their comic and they can do whatever they want.

You now know the pain of the Iranians. Our democracy was an illusion.

Hell they are running look outs first thats got to count for something.

Was this an intentional petehokestra, or not?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I get the feeling that Gabe and Tycho just decided they would rather make Automata, which is personally disappointing to me because I didn't care for Automata at all. Oh well, it's their comic and they can do whatever they want.

You now know the pain of the Iranians. Our democracy was an illusion.

Hell they are running look outs first thats got to count for something.

Was this an intentional petehokestra, or not?

Burtle please don't make light of our plight.

Sending email to PA guys now wish me luck #PAelections

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you read Gabe's posts I get the feeling he really wanted to do Lookouts, but that perhaps the votes and Tycho's desire put that on the backburner.

Personally I thought Automata was rather generic, robot detective/robot prejudices has been done before, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Lookouts seemed like it had more promise to me and if Gabe ever released a graphic novel based on the universe, I'd buy it.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I would have been happy with either one, I prefered Automata for the noir story. I would buy either if Mike and Jerry did them in book form.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would totally buy a graphic novel of lookouts.

If Gabe did the art. I still can't make sense of what the hell is going on and it really feels like there is a panel missing between 4 and the last two. Something that makes it actually fit together at least more coherently. I would never have spotted the basilisks tail in panel 3 as it looks just like a generic piece of the scenery until someone mentioned it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i liked the magician that accidentally killed people. :)

NotYou on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    Robot detective/robot prejudices has been done before.

Not well. Or in a non-victorian/fantasy setting.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Metropolis was a great movie.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well

Though, to be fair, that is only a small part of the film.

Edit: Beaten RAAASK

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Pluto

NotYou on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I pretty much agree with the general sentiment. This page was confusing and lacking in several ways (lighting, character design, and charm being the most important). But the art is not necessarily bad, it just doesn't seem to fit the format or subject matter very well.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love Gabe's stuff because it's often very straight forward visually. Which to me is a good thing.

This comic on the other hand is so different that when I tried to view it like I would a normal PA comic it was almost headache inducing because there's a lot going on, especially in the panels on the left side, and some of it is very subtle, like the huddling blonde kid. But then I actually started looking at all the details and soon realized I'd spent five minutes studying it and the more I did the more I liked it. This is also a good thing to me, just in a different way.

I dig this comic, can't wait to see the one on Friday.

Gabe said in the newspost today that he'd love to do a graphic novel of the Lookouts so while I wouldn't hold your breath (since a full on graphic novel would be a rather large undertaking) there's still some hope for those who really just want to see more PA Lookouts.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought lookouts was going to be really neat and it went really well with Gabe's art style, but what we had today was just strange and kind of confusing. It isn't bad, it's actually very creative, but it's not what I was hoping for. Especially since I think Gabe's work on lookouts is some of the better artwork he's done on the strip in a long time.

I too would love to buy a graphic novel of Lookouts, and this is coming from someone who never buys graphic novels/comic books/etc.

EDIT: Upon looking at the comic again I like it a little bit better, but... it would have been much better had they used different colors. The pale washed-out pinks and dark blues really change the atmosphere - before the woods looked lush and verdant, now they look bleak and desolate. Basically it needs a lot more green.

Duffel on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think perhaps the worst thing about the artwork is that there's no sense of depth to any of the panels, and each one is trying to show things happening in different planes. The first one is especially bad - it looks like every figure, stone and scout and master, are all clumped in a pile at the exact same distance from the viewer. Even the one that's ostensibly in the foreground manages to look like just a giant statue rather than something in the near field.

Yeah, I actually just now realized that they weren't climbing a tree or something in the first panel.

I love the design and coloration of the basilisk, though.

Jeez, I thought they were climbing a cliff or something. Now that I look at it, you're right, the comic just has zero depth.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate to see the Lookouts stip get so little love... but sadly must side with the loveless crowd. I actually didn't even know what the monster was supposed to be for (approx) 15seconds till I figured out it had a rooster head. Plus (alot of the points already mentioned).

It's pretty enough art and I would bet a fair bit of scratch that their remaining strips will be awesome in comparison.

But man am I glad Gabe is doing Automata.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jteYwm_elwo&feature=channel_page
    Speaking of robot detectives (android whatev) the above link should please thee.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought he was apologizing to the unpetrified boys about the lack of basilisk to be found. Like, "Sorry we didn't see any bears today, kids."

Also, his statement "This foul day may yet find you earn your badges", hurts my head grammatically.

cytorak on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It wasn't what I was expecting and while I can appreciate that it's good art it just doesn't fit what I wanted from the first comic. I feel for this story Gabe's style is way way better.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I also agree with how the art styles clash. The new one was very confusing to look at.

At the same time, I liked the basilisk design, and will reserve full judgement for when I see a few more pages of it.

never die on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I haven't seen a shitstorm quite like this in the new comic thread for a long time. Especially when Gabe made a post in there about it:
    Gabriel wrote:
    Hey guys. I am on vacation but I felt like I needed to post something here.

We've never done a guest week before. Not in ten years of making PA. When Lookouts lost the vote we thought that rather than not do it at all it might be fun to have another creative team take it on. It would also give us an honest to God vacation.

I personally asked Becky to handle the art because I am a HUGE fan of her work. I think she is one of the most talented artists working in webcomics today. She is actually hand painting each one of these pages which is no easy task. I understand that her style might not be for everyone but I would have hoped you guys would at least show her a little bit more respect than this.

Before this started I was so excited for you guys to see her work. She's an incredibly talented painter and has been a huge inspiration to me and my work. Now I just feel bad for putting her in this position.

If you don't like it then just relax, it wont last forever. In the meantime I urge you to try and look at the rest of her pages with an open mind.

Might put things in a bit of perspective.

While I dislike the new art (a lot I will concede) and am not really interested in it, some of the exceptional vitriol in that thread is really unwarranted.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't really even dislike the art, it's got charm. But the wednesday's comic was confusing, with poor structure that made it really difficult to understand what was going on.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    I thought he was apologizing to the unpetrified boys about the lack of basilisk to be found. Like, "Sorry we didn't see any bears today, kids."

Also, his statement "This foul day may yet find you earn your badges", hurts my head grammatically.

Yeah I thought that was obvious. The sky is clearly changing in colour; they've been walking around all day and haven't found the beastie. Pretty simple comic to understand imo.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    cytorak wrote: »

Yeah I thought that was obvious. The sky is clearly changing in colour; they've been walking around all day and haven't found the beastie. Pretty simple comic to understand imo.

If you note though when the sky is changing colour you'll notice that the sky is blue in the 3rd panel and then yellow and then red. If we take this theory to heart, then how long were they standing around there with the basilisk literally right next to them without anyone noticing?

This makes lots more problems, because how long was it between panel 3 and panel 4, because my assumption on panel 4 is that the little blonde kid turns around and spots the basilisks tail first: hence getting turned to stone (or maybe not, I can't tell) shortly after.

I don't think your sky changing colour = passage of time idea is right basically. So it's not that simple at all, unless you want to explain why the basilisk sits there without being noticed for so long or before doing anything. Alternatively, how the master fails to notice it when it's actually pretty exposed in the position it is in (just next to that statue).

Edit: If you haven't noticed, the Basilisks tail is in the lower bottom left hand corner and sort of snakes up. It actually looks like it's right in front of blondie at this point. He's clearly a bit special if he noticed the damn tail and didn't say anything; another aspect I dislike (as the wonky perspective makes it look like the basilisks tail should be in his line of sight from where he's standing looking at the statue).

Edit: The simple point here is that he could be apologizing for screwing up (panel 3) or he could be apologizing to the stone kid while everyone around him is literally shitting themselves; which makes him look like the Scoutmaster who rode the short bus into work that day. This is (now you've made me think about it more) the aspect I hate most. The story and threadline dropped in the first comic was "Here are boys who did not heed their master" and now we're seeing that the master is pretty incompetent; unable to spot a large bright red creature that is only feet from them (Panel 3) that is he actively looking for. I don't really like that from a storytelling mechanic, but that does lead me to suggest it's not a "sorry boys, I didn't find anything" and more him apologizing to them for being incompetent. It doesn't reflect well on his character being a teacher/student type aspect.

Aegeri on