Options

Lookouts Guest Artists

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1) The reason the scout master appears to respond very very slowly is due to a narration trick used in a lot of cartoons. It's a time compression storytelling device which suggests that you aren't actually hearing specifically what they said but rather the general notion of their conversation.

2) Working hard on something doesn't make you immune to criticism. I've worked hard on web comics as well, but they are truly terrible to behold, and I deserve every knock I get for them. MALICE is not appropriate, of course, but honest and constructive criticism is important for development as an artist.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think that she's a bad artist. It just doesn't work for a webcomic. It's hard to follow, and doesn't really have much of a natural flow.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So you guys think the scoutmaster is just standing there watching while the Basilisk rends this kid? Doesn't make sense--he said he would show the kids how to put wrong things right. Which apparently you do by getting knocked flat out.

I read it as the basilisk had put the scoutmaster down and freakish blond boy is having a USE THE FORCE, LUKE moment.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So you guys think the scoutmaster is just standing there watching while the Basilisk rends this kid? Doesn't make sense--he said he would show the kids how to put wrong things right. Which apparently you do by getting knocked flat out.

I read it as the basilisk had put the scoutmaster down and freakish blond boy is having a USE THE FORCE, LUKE moment.

I disagree.

This is a 'culling of the weak' process. Think spartans, but in the forrest.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Think feral animals, but then cockatrice.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yikes.

I'm going agree that it's probably not the artist's fault that it's this bad. I think the art is completely wrong for it, based upon the first comic, but the writing definitely contains the brunt of the blame. I'm assuming Tycho wrote the dialog for the first one and these last two try to terribly do what he did, without any of the grace or skill.

Invisible on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honestly I would probably be far less negatively inclined if Gabe's art for the first Lookouts didn't just scream awesomeness and put my jaw on the floor.

I still don't think her style is terribly appropriate for the story being told but I don't think it inappropriate for everything.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    Yikes.

I'm going agree that it's probably not the artist's fault that it's this bad. I think the art is completely wrong for it, based upon the first comic, but the writing definitely contains the brunt of the blame. I'm assuming Tycho wrote the dialog for the first one and these last two try to terribly do what he did, without any of the grace or skill.

Oh, yeah. This definitely happened to me.

I voted for Automata, but after listening to the Lookouts podcast I got excited about it and actually wound up hoping it would win instead. Then when page 2 came out, my vague recollection had been that they would be passing Tycho's scripts onto another artist. So of course I was disappointed by it, and of course I blamed the art for that.

Looking back on it with conscious appreciation for the quality of the writing, the art seems much better.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    CatamaranCatamaran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yea today's comic is definitely not my cup o tea. its just as difficult to discern whats going on, and is the blonde-kid resurrected or something?

at this point in time it occurs to me that there are a delicate set of rules that apply to telling a story through comic panels, rules these artists haven't quite executed as well as others.

i DO like the colors here though

Catamaran on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This one is better I guess. One problem is a lack of sound effects. Also, in the bottom left panel there is a tree that I half-confused for the kids hand for a second.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure that the scoutmaster is actually knocked out and the little kid is remembering the scoutmaster's words. They show the master laying on the ground, if he was going to be all "tough love" then they would have shown him getting back up.

Also, we know very little about the characters so far but I wasn't under the impression that the lookouts were supposed to be some sort of crazy dog-eat-dog, survival-of-the-fittest type organization.

Duffel on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank god I thought I was alone in my hate. I could stomach Lookouts if Gabe had drawn it.

This style is not what was advertised nor is it appropriate for the story.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the scoutmaster is actually knocked out and the little kid is remembering the scoutmaster's words. They show the master laying on the ground, if he was going to be all "tough love" then they would have shown him getting back up.

Also, we know very little about the characters so far but I wasn't under the impression that the lookouts were supposed to be some sort of crazy dog-eat-dog, survival-of-the-fittest type organization.

No, that was the tall dude, who looked cooler in the second page then he did in the first.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Comic isn't good.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

The working title was "fantasy boy scouts".

So, yeah. No.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Adrien wrote: »

So, yeah. No.

There were an awful lot of kids that had already been turned to stone for it to be some sort of boy scout outing.

I suppose we will find out next week. I hope.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

So, yeah. No.

Did you read the plot details G&T gave out?

It's about boy learning to survive in a world full of monsters.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

So, yeah. No.

Did you listen to the podcast? They start with the topic "fantasy boy scouts".

I'm not just pulling this out of my ass :P

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Fantast boy scouts" doesn't rule out training that ends with people dying.

In fact, the clearing full of statues indicates the training has involved that on multiple occasions.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Learning to survive in a world full of monsters =/= ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

I think lookouts is supposed to be kind of light and whimsical instead of Dark and Edgy

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    "Fantast boy scouts" doesn't rule out training that ends with people dying.

In fact, the clearing full of statues indicates the training has involved that on multiple occasions.

Right, but it's not some kind of four-boys-enter-one-boy-leaves coming-of-age blood ritual.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh no, definitely not. But I didn't take survival of the fittest to mean they were necessarily competing against one another either.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Learning to survive in a world full of monsters =/= ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

I think lookouts is supposed to be kind of light and whimsical instead of Dark and Edgy

When did I say that?

I'm simply implying the dark tone isn't uncalled for.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    When did I say that?

Well, I guess you yourself didn't say that but some people seemed to think this was some sort of "Spartan Test" wherein most of the kids died off or something

So yeah, it's dark right now but given the whole concept I feel fully confident that the lookouts are going to handle it and rescue all the other petrified boys as well, just in time for a marshmallow* roast by the lake.

*Some kind of nifty fantasy substitute for a marshmallow

Duffel on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm enjoying the differentness of these comics, however, I am irked that I have no idea what the heck is going on in them. I have a feeling it might make sense a little later in the series?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll post my prediction here, since SE++ jumped down my throat when I implied this wasn't the greatest guest strip ever.

Fat boy returns in the last comic, rushes the basilisk with an improvised eyepatch and his sword, finishing the statement: "...A boy must learn!"

Or perhaps a blind kid gets him with some ingenuity and dumb luck, but I rather like the eyepatch idea. The Scoutmaster doesn't appear to be shielding his gaze at all when looking in the 'lisk's direction; it would make sense.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well clearly we need a blind kid to kill the basillisk, I mean they can kill retards (see the village) so basillisks should be easy.

Honestly this one is harder to follow than the last and again the art while interesting distracts from what little story they are attempting to do. I'm sorry Mike doesn't like what I feel are honest critisms of something that just doesn't line up with expectation.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    I like the art better in this one, yet find it increasingly inappropriate for this comic, and the story is still vaguely nonsensical.

Also, the perspective in the first panel is terrible. And I'm not quite sure what's going on the second. The basilisk grabs the two boys and flings them over its shoulder? Bwuh?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Manic205 wrote: »
    I'll post my prediction here, since SE++ jumped down my throat when I implied this wasn't the greatest guest strip ever.

Fat boy returns in the last comic, rushes the basilisk with an improvised eyepatch and his sword, finishing the statement: "...A boy must learn!"

Or perhaps a blind kid gets him with some ingenuity and dumb luck, but I rather like the eyepatch idea. The Scoutmaster doesn't appear to be shielding his gaze at all when looking in the 'lisk's direction; it would make sense.
    Actually I'm pretty sure the kid with black hair is going to slay the basilisk with his dagger. He keeps looking at his reflection in the dagger and we all know the best way to go after a creature with a petrifying gaze.

Calling it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tall kid got tossed all the way to the next monster. He's done for.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    When did I say that?

Well, I guess you yourself didn't say that but some people seemed to think this was some sort of "Spartan Test" wherein most of the kids died off or something

So yeah, it's dark right now but given the whole concept I feel fully confident that the lookouts are going to handle it and rescue all the other petrified boys as well, just in time for a marshmallow* roast by the lake.

*Some kind of nifty fantasy substitute for a marshmallow

I think I brought up the spartan arguement, and I stand by the idea that this is just throwing the retard kids to the basilisk instead of off a cliff.

or perhaps a way of disposing of the dreaded penis nose mutation.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tall kid got tossed all the way to the next monster. He's done for.
    Well, ok then, the little blonde kid will do it. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the youngest and the least experienced, so him being the one to save the day would be appropriate and cathartic.

Whoever does it is going to do it by dagger reflection, I almost guarantee it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    With all those other boys turned to stone you'd think these kid's parents would stop letting this dude take their kids to see the basilisk.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    With all those other boys turned to stone you'd think these kid's parents would stop letting this dude take their kids to see the basilisk.

Well, these are actually all his kids. Dude gets around; I mean check out that rugged eyepatch.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So do the basilisk and its victim have to be in a staring contest for its stone gaze to work? In the last 2 panels, the Scoutmaster is clearly looking right in its direction.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The way basilisks generally work is that you have to meet its gaze, yes.

Last Son on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Last Son wrote: »
    The way basilisks generally work is that you have to meet its gaze, yes.

Oh I see, so the youngest kid, naturally being shy and feeble will never make eye contact, making him a natural for slaying basilisk.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I still think there's something to the fat kid's absence.

Edit: Or at least I hope there is. I'd hate it if one of our brave scouts was really just a wimp who hid behind a statue and then just waddled back in after the conclusion.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love Lookouts. Best thing since CTS

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Manic205 wrote: »
    I still think there's something to the fat kid's absence.

Edit: Or at least I hope there is. I'd hate it if one of our brave scouts was really just a wimp who hid behind a statue and then just waddled back in after the conclusion.

He got swatted away along with the tall kid in panel two.

never die on