Options

Lookouts Guest Artists

• Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    never die wrote: »
    Manic205 wrote: »
    I still think there's something to the fat kid's absence.

Edit: Or at least I hope there is. I'd hate it if one of our brave scouts was really just a wimp who hid behind a statue and then just waddled back in after the conclusion.

He got swatted away along with the tall kid in panel two.

I must be blind. My bad.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, it took me forever to realize the fat kid was hiding behind the stone statue, which bears a slight similarity to the blond kid but isn't him because he is hiding behind the redhead's cape.

Edit: I didn't even realize the second guest comic was out. I didn't even realize it was Saturday! God, time gets screwy without a job or school...

Underdog on
  • Options
    Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Today's makes more sense, art is a little cleaner as well. I wonder if the artist went over it again due to complaints.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, I thought one of the kids was turned to stone?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wait, I thought one of the kids was turned to stone?

No none of the children were turned to stone, I know its confusing because well thats this artists style.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I did not care for this.

Quid on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, that was just terrible.

Terrible.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, the last panel looks pretty cool.

Here's to hoping that G&T take another shot at this idea at some point.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wow.

more awful. I can understand this one, but it still sucks.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »

On the opening post Mike suggested he'd like to return to it maybe in graphic novel form. I'd like to see both Automata and Lookouts drawn by mike and story by Jerry in the same way.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    So the Lookouts have to do this for themselves. Which they accomplish by... throwing rocks at the thing?

And then the Scoutmaster blinds the creature, which is presumably the hard part that the kids should've been discovering on their own, and afterward it's just game of Poke the Chicken until it stops squawking.

Also, the Basilisk breathes blue fire? Bwuh?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, uh, what did the kids learn? "Scoutmaster will save our asses"?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So the Lookouts have to do this for themselves. Which they accomplish by... throwing rocks at the thing?

And then the Scoutmaster blinds the creature, which is presumably the hard part that the kids should've been discovering on their own, and afterward it's just game of Poke the Chicken until it stops squawking.

Well at least you can tell whats going on in this one right Jeffe? So uhh 3 comics in they finally made one that was understandable?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Yeah, uh, what did the kids learn? "Scoutmaster will save our asses"?

'you are boys but one more day'

The after camping sleepover in the guide's tent is not going to end well...

chamberlain on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I think the writing here is a bigger problem than the art.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    and afterward it's just game of Poke the Chicken until it stops squawking.

And in the last frame you can see the chicken's eye. But the scoutmaster just tied a thing around the eyes. So why can we see the eye in the last frame? I would think the boys would not remove the binding thing.

It makes for a nicer image, I think, but doesn't make sense with the other panels.

Selner on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Well at least you can tell whats going on in this one right Jeffe? So uhh 3 comics in they finally made one that was understandable?

I could tell what was going on in the second one, too. I just had serious issues with some of the artistic choices.

You know, at first, I thought what had happened was that a kid had thrown a dagger into the basilisk's eye, blinding it on that side. And I was thinking, "Okay, cool, I can dig it." And then I realized: no, they're just stoning it. I really don't get what the point of this story was supposed to be. It could've been a cute coming-of-age tale, and instead it's a Scoutmaster-saves-their-tails tale. It seems to undermine the entire point of the story.

Alternately, they could've subverted expectations by having the basilisk about to win, and the scoutmaster has to save them. Except that doesn't work, either - because the kids, at least temporarily, had the upper hand.

In summary: What. The. Fuck?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I think the writing here is a bigger problem than the art.

Agreed entirely. I kinda like the art, but the writing seems to go from generic to nonsensical.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This art just does not work for an action story. At all.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought during the voting that the Lookouts was a very interesting idea and one that looked really good, too. And now we get the guest artist whose work is confusing, a color disaster, and just plain horrible.

I am waiting for Gabe and Tycho to bust out and be like, "Surprise! It was a ruse while we make some real Lookouts strips!". Until then, ugh!

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already. They are confusing and busy and blegh. I'm ready to go back to the crisp, clean look of the regular PA comics now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yup. I think the art would be glorious for a one-off painting of the Lookouts, but it's pretty much a complete failure when it comes to conveying dynamic action. The composition does not really work with what seems to be going on. It doesn't direct your eye; it's just confusing.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

huh

looking back over the last 2, I think the basilisk pinned the little boy

and then the other boys threw rocks at it to save their friend

so I think what they're learning here is teamwork, or camaraderie or something, not really how to kill a basilisk

I don't like the comic, but I think it mostly makes sense if you can get past the art style

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fucking Douchebag lookouts. I have SotC syndrome and I feel sorry for the beast.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ugh.

I get back from vacation to find this waiting for me?

Man, I voted for Lookouts. The clarity of the initial treatment's art coupled with the insight revealed in the podcast promised a great story.

Instead, it's Ren and Stimpy but without the coherency.

Worst bait and switch ever.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You people are a bunch of whiners

Antimatter on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

With good reason.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ashy LarryAshy Larry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm so bummed I voted for lookouts. The original comic was brilliant, these... Not so much. :?

Ashy Larry on
    White people love sweaters.
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    slacktron wrote: »
    Ugh.

Man, I voted for Lookouts. The clarity of the initial treatment's art coupled with the insight revealed in the podcast promised a great story.

Perfect sum up.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    slacktron wrote: »
    Ugh.

Perfect sum up.

ren-or-stimpy.jpg

Now that you mention it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

Go read the guest artist's comic. It's like Egyptian hieroglyphics but less coherent and with a worse lack of perspective

Also a cat owns a pet cat. The fuck ?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

huh

looking back over the last 2, I think the basilisk pinned the little boy

and then the other boys threw rocks at it to save their friend

so I think what they're learning here is teamwork, or camaraderie or something, not really how to kill a basilisk

I don't like the comic, but I think it mostly makes sense if you can get past the art style

I can get past the weird art once I decide to do so, but the story and writing leaves me completely cold. The writing was lackluster and uncertain, and the story lacked a narrative thread. Things happened, and then, later, unrelated things happened, and in the end, the only lesson was that things had happened. If you look hard enough you might be able to find patterns in the chaos, but it would take some doing.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I do feel really bad for the artist/writer. The artist, at least, is clearly talented, and I do like her work. She has a beautiful style. She just shouldn't have agreed to point her talents here.

I sort of imagine there was a mutual admiration that got in the way. Gabe loved the artist, and the artist loved PA, and neither of them realized what a piss-poor match they made on this particular project.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I sort of imagine there was a mutual admiration that got in the way. Gabe loved the artist, and the artist loved PA, and neither of them realized what a piss-poor match they made on this particular project.

This seems to be the most likely scenario.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I agree.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Wait, this is all we get? I thought the guest artists were a stop-gap until the real deal was ready. I hope I misunderstood you.

I don't follow comics to look at guest work. Ah well, I guess I got my fill of red for the month.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I agree.

It'd be nice if there could be some sort of PA/this-chick collaborative effort down the road to kind of build her back up. Like, if she did a painting of the PA cast or something, it would probably turn out really awesome. Just something where her lasting contribution didn't get (justifiably but unfortunately) crapped on by millions of fans.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well I liked it.

The art style really grew on me on after multiple viewings and I thought it worked wonderfully.

S. on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    S. wrote: »
    Well I liked it.

The art style really grew on me on after multiple viewings and I thought it worked wonderfully.

comics are a pretty open format.

Sadly confusing is hardly an element you ever want in one. A comic you have to read half a dozen times to make sense out of is really a poor comic.

nexuscrawler on