Options

[Game On] NeoTokyo - RELEASED - A CS, Akira, and Insurgency Orgy

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is the music in-game working for anyone? I've just got silence...

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Crap the download was corrupted.

Here we go again.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think there is any in-game music.

But the eye candy isn't bad at all.

nt1-1.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The game becomes significantly better once you get a feel for each map and move in groups. I was in vent with cango at the end and he'd go recon and pick up the ghost and I'd go support or eventually assault with the autoshotty near the end and clear everything out.

It's really, really important that whoever picks up the ghost has a mic and is able to use it effectively. That turns the ghost from a massive liability into a really powerful tool, but it's utterly wasted on someone saying "there are guys around us".

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Installing. Finally.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't think there is any in-game music.

But the eye candy isn't bad at all.

That's weird... there's a soundtrack subfolder in ..\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\neotokyosource\soundtrack\ that has 15 mp3 music tracks in it.

And yes. sweet sweet candy. :D

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Off to a ballgame, then. If this isn't out by the time I get back, somebody is getting shanked. Probably one of you people, if only for convenience.
    Alright, you got lucky. IdolNinja.

Now to download. And install. And hope I don't pass out first.

Monger on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, people going in expecting CS as stated earlier will probably be disappointed

But people going into it expecting insurgency will be disappointed too

It's a nice cross between the two, not too fast but certainly not as slow as some put it

Loving it, will be on tomorrow

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Played around with all of the classes.

Loving Recon though. Switched to it on the street/freeway map and if the opposing team is moving as one down the street you can sneak behind and pick off the back guys easily.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is at least following one rule of Source titles: It HATES my laptop. Damnit.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok I just loaded up an empty server to check things out and I'm already seeing bugs and such. I'm on a high end machine with zero problems on any other Source titles but I'm getting a fair bit of graphical flickering. I shot the ground and the bullet hole looked fine, but when I shot a wooden wall the decals were either horribly done or glitched. There is the hole that looks like it should but then there is a small box around that hole where the wood becomes a lighter color, it looks like somebody just stuck a square bullet hole sticker on a wooden wall where the wood color around the sticker isn't the same color as the wall they stuck it on. Is there any way of activating crosshairs, or is it a design choice? I hate it when games don't allow you to use them.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love this game. I don't understand why people think it's too slow. It strikes a balance between games like TF2 and Unreal Tournament and games like Insurgency or ARMA II. I like that it's slow-paced and more tactical than what shooters people usually play. The Recon and Assault classes can run if you hold Shift down, by the way. You'll lower your weapon and start moving faster.

In corridors I want to move slowly, peeking around corners (using Q and E) to prevent myself from being surprised. Outside when it's opened up you naturally want that extra speed but the realistic walking and running speeds make traversing open terrain dangerous and tense. It's supposed to be like that. You shouldn't be out in the open if you can help it.

I think some of the weapons could use some work. I'm not sure what the submachine guns are good for yet and I think there are too many. The Mosok 14 (a starter support weapon and an unlockable assault weapon) is really cool and very useful. The weapons feel and sound substantial when I use them.

I played for about four hours. The learning curve is not steep at all but I think in order to be good at the game you have to practice some basic combat discipline. The ability to lean around corners is a very simple mechanic but it helps immensely in keeping you alive. The motion and thermal detectors are great for overcoming cloaked enemies or smoke screens. Cover is something you have to keep in mind but also the strength of your cover since flimsy material such as wood will provide poor protection. I think the game is off to a good start and has a lot of potential. I can't wait for community maps to start being made.

Edit: Span: Press the right mouse button to use your weapon's sights. It makes the weapon more accurate and also points out whether what you're pointing at is friendly or not. Unless you need the additional awareness of your surroundings or faster moving speed there's no reason not to use the sights at all times.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I love this game. I don't understand why people think it's too slow. It strikes a balance between games like TF2 and Unreal Tournament and games like Insurgency or ARMA II. I like that it's slow-paced and more tactical than what shooters people usually play. The Recon and Assault classes can run if you hold Shift down, by the way. You'll lower your weapon and start moving faster.

In corridors I want to move slowly, peeking around corners (using Q and E) to prevent myself from being surprised. Outside when it's opened up you naturally want that extra speed but the realistic walking and running speeds make traversing open terrain dangerous and tense. It's supposed to be like that. You shouldn't be out in the open if you can help it.

I think some of the weapons could use some work. I'm not sure what the submachine guns are good for yet and I think there are too many. The Mosok 14 (a starter support weapon and an unlockable assault weapon) is really cool and very useful. The weapons feel and sound substantial when I use them.

I played for about four hours. The learning curve is not steep at all but I think in order to be good at the game you have to practice some basic combat discipline. The ability to lean around corners is a very simple mechanic but it helps immensely in keeping you alive. The motion and thermal detectors are great for overcoming cloaked enemies or smoke screens. Cover is something you have to keep in mind but also the strength of your cover since flimsy material such as wood will provide poor protection. I think the game is off to a good start and has a lot of potential. I can't wait for community maps to start being made.

Edit: Span: Press the right mouse button to use your weapon's sights. It makes the weapon more accurate and also points out whether what you're pointing at is friendly or not. Unless you need the additional awareness of your surroundings or faster moving speed there's no reason not to use the sights at all times.

I agree with all of this. I think the submachine guns are for getting up close to the enemy with stealth and then opening up on them.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, some other things. Stay in groups but don't stay clumped together otherwise all of you will be killed by a grenade. If you encounter the enemy try to move apart so that everyone has a clear firing line. Crouch if you're in front of someone.

Keep the doorways clear. If the enemy has you pinned behind a doorway don't all rush through the doorway. This was tried earlier and it only resulted in everyone getting killed. If you engage the enemy at all you should only be peeking around the doorway (AND, the doorway can't have doors attached. They provide no cover so you can't safely fire from them). If you can't engage the enemy behind cover then you should probably retreat to another position and wait for them there or try and go around making sure you're not being followed.

Be careful with grenades. I haven't used them at all yet. Their most obvious uses involve clearing groups of enemies. If you're all alone and you're fighting someone and you want to let one rip then go ahead but please if a teammate is anywhere near you be careful.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Also, some other things. Stay in groups but don't stay clumped together otherwise all of you will be killed by a grenade. If you encounter the enemy try to move apart so that everyone has a clear firing line. Crouch if you're in front of someone.

Keep the doorways clear. If the enemy has you pinned behind a doorway don't all rush through the doorway. This was tried earlier and it only resulted in everyone getting killed. If you engage the enemy at all you should only be peeking around the doorway (AND, the doorway can't have doors attached. They provide no cover so you can't safely fire from them). If you can't engage the enemy behind cover then you should probably retreat to another position and wait for them there or try and go around making sure you're not being followed.

Be careful with grenades. I haven't used them at all yet. Their most obvious uses involve clearing groups of enemies. If you're all alone and you're fighting someone and you want to let one rip then go ahead but please if a teammate is anywhere near you be careful.

Grenades have funny trajectories, IMO.

Zetx on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright, I love this game. It's like GiTS, CoD4 and CS all mixed together.

There is a learning curve, both for the maps and just figuring it all out. The first hour of my playtime consisted of dying to people I never saw. It's gotten much better now, especially once I found out how powerful the Support class is (hint: it's pretty freaking awesome). The atmosphere is good, too.

It needs some balancing, as one map is ridiculously easy to win, it takes about 25-30 seconds to get the Ghost from the pickup point to the retrieval point. Other than that, awesome mod.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah that office map was bullshit.

Losing 8 times in a row because even recon wasn't fast enough to intercept wasnt fun.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    heh ya the office map can be over very quickly if one team doesnt know exactly how to get the ghost as fast as possible. I managed to cap it like 4 times within a few mins.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, this is a ton of fun. It reminds me of CS:S, but a bit more tactical. I like the different vision modes, they're not really for leaving on all the time but are to be used in certain circumstances. I also like that even though you drop your main weapon when you pick up the ghost, you can use the ghost to find your enemies and call them out to teammates (I obviously couldn't due to not having a mic, but others can). It's got some bugs and runs rather poorly on parts of some maps for a Source game, but those can easily be fixed. I really like this game a lot, it's as good as Dystopia (but for different reasons, obviously).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    InigoInigo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was just playing it for the last 2 hours, plenty of balance issues on some of the maps, and of course the assualt class lieutenants that get that 1 shot sniper rifle + motion vision, on any map with decent ranging abilities, it tears them up so bad its not even funny.

Totally dig some of the GITS themes it has, but I dont know if it's something I'll keep playing for too terribly long, fun game and all, maps are really big, when it comes down to 1v1 it's chaotic if two people are running across the map trying to find a needle in a haystack the size Manhattan.

connecting sure does take a long time -_- even on 20mbs, round starts are slow, round endings are slow.

Great concept for a game, kinda reminds me of the Deus Ex mulitiplayer in a way. Could use more of something... Robotits(The ghost) is pretty cool looking though, looks like it's straight out of I-Robot or something:P

Inigo on
    notbad4puppies2copy.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So far I really like it. I had to cut my time short due to work tomorrow. It has an excellent art style and feel to it. I would say there are certainly things that need to be addressed but it feels like an variant of CS that's actually enjoyable.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else getting rediculously slow download speeds?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is pretty fun, and the classes seem balanced (though the Heavy class is kind of too much of an extreme, you can put a clip in their head and have them walk away, and they're also way too slow). Seems to be much better suited to small games of 6-10 a side, if that, the 24-player server I tried made a lot of the tricks kind of pointless and ended up being more of a regular boring FPS.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is fun as hell. It's also possibly the most frustrating game I've ever played. If you're on a bad team, or even a good team but the enemy is better, you will loose every round. There's no way around it. You won't rank up, and the enemy will have all the best weapons and you'll be using some shitty SMG.

EDIT: And the IFF system is absolute shit. If you're using an enhanced vision mode, you literally can't tell friend from enemy. The IFF indicator is nearly invisible. And the kill messages at the top are stupid. Whose idea was it to make friendly names and enemy names nearly the same goddamn color?

EDIT EDIT: And that map with the rooftops can choke on a dick and die.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm having trouble finding this on Steam.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Operator-C wrote: »

Thats because its not on steam.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty great. A certain sniper rifle feels a little too powerful, and I would love to see that domination style gamemode they have in the UT mod.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh, robotits.

Verr on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I got a slow download from Filefront, but a fast one from Dystopia-game.com. Funny how Dystopia is hosting a mirror.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I downloaded this last night from one of the direct download servers and it maxed out my 3meg DSL (yeah yeah, I know everyone has more bandwidth than me) so I'd recommend giving it a try.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Operator-C wrote: »

Thats because its not on steam.

Ah, well... there we go.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played for hours instead of sleeping

I really like it

I hope the game gets a solid PA community because it really promotes teamwork and communication

The graphics and most of the sound and really all aspects of the game's presentation feel very professional

The balance between the classes seems pretty good so far, certainly for a first release, but i can't comment on the balance between the weapons. I have a few favorites that I use, but without accurate stats I can't know if one is really better than another. All I know is some are silenced, some have more bullets, some are semi, and some are automatic. That's all I really need to know

The game, 1v1, is actually pretty fun. It stops being a game about teamwork and starts being a duel between invisible ninjas

The lack of a damage indicator is really bad, but at the same time, it is really fun to fuck with people in 1v1 when they don't know where you are

The maps are a little large sometimes, but they seem well designed, with only a few dead ends and unnecessary bits to hide out in. The rest always has a loop going around it somewhere, you just need to find it

I really wish there was a game mode with respawning

All in all, great mod, will play again tomorrow, some issues that will certainly be fixed with patches and version updates and such, huge amount of work put into a really quality product. It must be sweet to be the Neotokyo devs right now, finally being able to put this shit out there

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The final recon smg isnt silenced, which dosent make sense to me at all.

This can be super frustrating becuase I never feel like I am playing right. if I grab the sniper, I never see someone, or someone sneaks up on me. if I go SMG and run to my spot, i catch like 3 guys and waste 2 mag's trying to take them on as they run for the ghost.

And guys, for the love of god, if your team is camping the ghost, one of you mofo's pick that shit up, and call out where enemies are. you are just standing there waiting around anyways. jeesh.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It is possible to take down someone with an SMG from a distance. It just takes like half a clip or more to do it

It took me a while to get used to this game's particular "player fragility level" but then it always does

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was getting 1 megabyte per second on torrent for this earlier. Do we have a steam group yet?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OLIVAW I AM GOING TO PLAY :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'll be on later tonight, gents.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played a bit with Olivaw. It's a pretty fun game. It'd be great if we could get enough PAers to get a full game without going on a pub.

Peewi on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just joined a random server for a bit. This game is very slow with pubs. Also, recon doesn't do shit damage, assault moves too slow, and I always take fewer hits to die than the enemy. I might just suck, though.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Right, lets revive this server with gameplay!

Gumpy on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw the thread title and thought "CS? Cardcaptor Sakura?" And went in expecting some sorta weird Cthulhu/Akira meets Magical Girl thing.

Thread fails to deliver.

KiTA on