Options

[One Piece] 550+ chapters, 0 regrets

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »
    Even though 4kids totally violated one piece I enjoyed the overall premise and want to get back into it.

Should I go for the manga or the anime?

Also if you think 4kids intro is bad you should hear the Spanish version.

I recommend anime up until after the Alabasta arc then manga.

Also, for some odd reason I can't find a video of the Spanish dub intro of the first opening. I did however find this.

The horror?

Holy crap Chopper sounds like Meatwad!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Manga is faster.

Anime is slower, but has excellent coloring and audiowork.

From asking the same of people around these parts they tend to agree that the early manga was a bit sloppy compared to the anime. The advice given me (rejected because I felt like watching, not reading) was to watch the anime until the end of Arlong Park or Alabasta and then pick up the manga.

I still like the advice though, and say you might as well just start with the anime and see what you think.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright I guess I'll watch the anime first. If it starts getting slow though I'll probably switch over to the manga.

Oh god I'm Mexican and and the Spanish dub still burns my ears.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're thinking of getting into the anime, Funimation has been putting out uncut box sets that are very good. I think they're up to episode 65 right now, with at least 2 more sets coming out this year(more likely three).

I'd definately reccomend the Funi dub. Only problem is they aren't even close to where the current anime is, since the box sets are still fairly new. they seem to be switching from one every three months to one every 1-2 months though, at least for now, which helps. But man I love the dub.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried to watch One Piece but the art style made my eyes bleed.

Can anyone explain the appeal of the art of the series? It's just so...terrible. Is there something appealing to it which I am missing?

_J_ on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Once you get used to it, I find it quite charming. It's not my favorite style, but honestly, it's such a good show I can ignore it. I fnd it looks better in motion, too, part of why I prefer the anime.

And it's definately not badly-done...just different and weird. But the world design is awesome. Oda really knows how to populate his world with fantastic places and creatures.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    I tried to watch One Piece but the art style made my eyes bleed.

Can anyone explain the appeal of the art of the series? It's just so...terrible. Is there something appealing to it which I am missing?

I had the same reaction when I first saw it.

But it grows on you, trust me.

I actually love the style now; it gives Oda a fuck ton of versatility when it comes to emotions, and he tends to make the best expressions.

He sort of takes a classic animation route of building a character around their personality instead of creating blank slates to fill in with background.

EDIT: Look at both of these and tell me they aren't charming:
    op540covercleaned.jpg

01-02.jpg

There is a koala with a mustache in that first one, and they're riding a party boat elephant in the second.

Come on man

Godfather on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Once you get used to it, I find it quite charming. It's not my favorite style, but honestly, it's such a good show I can ignore it. I fnd it looks better in motion, too, part of why I prefer the anime.

And it's definately not badly-done...just different and weird. But the world design is awesome. Oda really knows how to populate his world with fantastic places and creatures.

The composition of characters is bizzare. I can understand why the main character is rubbery: It allows the artists leeway with his movements.

But some of the battles with the swordsman are just painful to watch.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Painfully awesome.

Fun OP fact of the day. Oda was asked what Enel's bounty would be if Sky Island was on earth instead of out of the view of the World Government. Apparently forcibly overthrowing a government, becoming a god and "killing" all your subjects after having them build you a golden flying arc would get you a bounty of around 500,000,000 belli.

Not bad at all!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    op540covercleaned.jpg

01-02.jpg

There is a koala with a mustache in that first one, and they're riding a party boat elephant in the second.

Come on man

A party boat elephant that spews beer from its trunk.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just read the spoilers for the next chapter. Seems like a pretty good one.

RandomKit on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ready?
    One Piece suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkksssssssssssssssssssssssss

ok i'm done.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ahahaha I just got to the big reveal in the Fishman arc where the helmet was removed.

That and Zoro's mental scrubbing of the previous mermaid he met were great.

Kelor on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Something is missing in this thread.

Bink's Sake

Ahhhh, much better.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Latest chapter was great, but apparently there's not going to be a new chapter next week... D:

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    Latest chapter was great, but apparently there's not going to be a new chapter next week... D:

Man Oda is a machine but even he needs to take a break.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You might want to spoiler some of the cast in the opening post. At least like Robin and down for any new people that might be coming into here. Honestly, Robin is the only one that really matters, everyone else is kind of obvious they will join.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Peas wrote: »
    Latest One piece manga spoiler
    huhuum.png
    To be honest, I kinda forgot he was on Jimbei's crew. I wonder if Jimbei knows about what he did to Nami's hometown? Or about how Luffy totally kicked his ass?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    You might want to spoiler some of the cast in the opening post. At least like Robin and down for any new people that might be coming into here. Honestly, Robin is the only one that really matters, everyone else is kind of obvious they will join.
    Franky's not very obvious, either...

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Really? It wasn't obvious? I mean, they threw her into the OP halfway through the Alabasta arc.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Franky's not very obvious, either...

Well, not at first, but by the time that arc gets going it's pretty obvious.

Robin is more out-of-nowhere.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah, I haven't watched the anime in a while so her showing up in the OP is new to me. I just re-read the manga, and there aren't really any hints, so she is kind of out of the blue.

Franky is definitely more obvious as the arc goes on, but at the same time if you are watching it new it's fun to not know for sure.

manga
    AHAHAHAHAH Capt Buggy

He is so fucked.

also Ace :(

Did someone say manga is on break next week?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    huhuum.png
    To be honest, I kinda forgot he was on Jimbei's crew. I wonder if Jimbei knows about what he did to Nami's hometown? Or about how Luffy totally kicked his ass?
    My impression was that he knows what Luffy did and wants to do something about it, but is waiting until this situation is over. It remains to be seen whether his goal is to get revenge for Arlong's defeat or make amends for the horrible things his former crewmate did, or some other reaction.

Anyone else have the feeling we'll be getting a full Luffy/Ace childhood flashback before this is over? The couple panels of the two in this chapter looked like a preview of a longer scene.

Cantide on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After reading this chapter
    If Buggy doesn't somehow become a Yonkou by complete accident I'll be severely disappointed.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If Buggy doesn't somehow become a Yonkou by complete accident I'll be severely disappointed.

He's gonna come out of this with a higher bounty than Luffy (to his despair), I just know it.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only one who doesn't expect Whitebeard to die at the end of this?

kaz67 on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok, so I am now up to date with the manga.

While I still don't think the Impel Down arc was as epic as Enies Lobby, it was pretty great thus far.
    Bon Clay is fucking awesome.

Kelor on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kaz67 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't expect Whitebeard to die at the end of this?

Probably.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cantide wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    huhuum.png
    My impression was that he knows what Luffy did and wants to do something about it, but is waiting until this situation is over. It remains to be seen whether his goal is to get revenge for Arlong's defeat or make amends for the horrible things his former crewmate did, or some other reaction.

Anyone else have the feeling we'll be getting a full Luffy/Ace childhood flashback before this is over? The couple panels of the two in this chapter looked like a preview of a longer scene.
    I certainly hope so, Luffy's childhood is still largely shrouded in mystery, besides his encounter with Shanks of course. Hell, we didn't even know he had a brother until Alabasta.

Hm, I guess those flashbacks were after he met Shanks, since he has his signature hat.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Good lord, wall of text OP.

Back on topic, the latest chapter was awesome.
    Buggy is now one of my favorite characters.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Now that I think about it...

Manga
    What happened to Arlong anyway? Wasn't he supposed to be imprisoned in Impel Down? Where'd he go?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like I got some work cut out for me eh?

Also, this week's OP:
    Buggy is a tiny golden God. You can tell that Oda's having a blast with this guy.

Godfather on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So about Ussop:
    Is there totally anyone cooler than him? I mean the whole Ussop/Sogeking thing is the best thing ever, like Batman quality.

Camui on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Camui wrote: »
    So about Ussop:
    Is there totally anyone cooler than him? I mean the whole Ussop/Sogeking thing is the best thing ever, like Batman quality.

WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE OP?

Edit- I am sadly mistaken, it is indeed in the OP.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Franky is more awesome anyways.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Impel Down definitely wasn't as epic as Enies Lobby, but Marineford will probably be more epic than anything we've seen so far....

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Impel Down definitely wasn't as epic as Enies Lobby, but Marineford will probably be more epic than anything we've seen so far....
    Particularly if/when all the SH crew shows up with their own crews.

You know it's going to happen.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Particularly if/when all the SH crew shows up with their own crews.

You know it's going to happen.
    Best crew: Franky

Worst Crew: Sanji

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
This discussion has been closed.