Options

[One Piece] 550+ chapters, 0 regrets

• Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They need to start double timing the anime... two freaking episodes a week. Hell, maybe even three!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    They need to start double timing the anime... two freaking episodes a week. Hell, maybe even three!

They're already so close to the manga that they have to go about a chapter an episode, that would not be a good idea!

Slicer on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I honestly am guessing the One Piece will just be a trick of some genius kind. Maybe a single piece of eight?

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gonna see how far I can get with a Brooke profile tonight.

I'm sure I can dig up some good pics, alongside the stuff already posted.

Godfather on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    So I just finished the near-100 episode massiveness of the Water 7 and Enies Lobby arcs.

Words cannot express how awesome it was. Seriously, I haven't been so excited/saddened by a show in ages. It dragged on at bits here and there, but was generally well paced, FULL of good fights and suspense, with epic rewards and gut-wrenching losses (if you've seen/read it, you know what I mean).

I don't know that anything that follows Water 7 can match up, by comparison. It really felt like Oda went all out with it, in a creative/emotional orgasm of literature.

Yeah, Water 7 was just so....different. It felt kinda like the grown up version of everything up until that point. This might sound weird, but all the stuff with Robin and the Galley-La people and everything just felt kinda creepy my first time through.
    Just that everything was so off. Then Eneis Lobby is just build and build and build and then Luffy takes out Bleuno and the moment on top of the drawbridge where Luffy tells Sogeking to light up the flag. Just as an afterthought. Just as a 'FUCK YOU' thing. Everything after that was just payoff.

And I think the reason why that arc clicked with me was because it was the first time that, at any point, the strawhats truly felt overmatched. Like they were accomplishing something. With Crocodile, it was the case for Luffy and Luffy alone, and the saga as a whole paid off because of the story accomplishments, but Eneis Lobby was truly the first time where I felt like the Straw Hats were real underdogs.

On a tangential note to that last point, I think I finally hit on why, despite thinking it was better than most people seem to, I think that Thriller Bark fell flat.
    Oz > Moria.

Yes, Moria was the one commanding him. Yes, Moria was the one who made Oz do all the weird things. Yes, neither one of them were really an issue when the arc started slipping, but it started slipping right around the point where they introduced the big bad which was worse than Moria.

You can't make something worse than the big bad and expect the drama to hold up.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So Godfather in Lieu of the next OP not taking up 4 posts I figured out a solution :

Myspace pages for the crew.

We use your profiles but alter them a bit to be written by the characters.

OP is no longer marred by a giant spoiler maze and we have semi permanent profiles for future threads to use.

Also we can have a poll to see who gets 100 friends first.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Here's what I was planning for the next OP:

Riptor was correct in thinking I would divide things up into four OP posts; First post for the basic series plot elements and science, posts two and three for the character bios, and post four for how to get into said series and general dickery. I normally wouldn't do something this large, but because of the space issues I had with this thread it might be the best route to go. As time goes by i'd spruce up a few things, like a better introduction to devil fruit categories and whatnot.

I think the profile idea is a neat idea, but I gotta ask..............myspace? Really?

I tend to avoid that website like the plague, and it seems to be a sinking vessel ever since the arrival of Facebook. Are the spoilers that big of a deal? I put them in there for ease of use, and with a multiple post OP it'd be pretty easy to skip/enhance at a moment's notice should the need arise. I dunno, I usually glaze over links in a OP if the article isn't outright posted, so I have a feeling that it would happen for casual readers as well. I feel like these account pages would be more rewarding for the veterans of the series rather than the new kids on the block; like you'd be missing half of the funny if you weren't already invested in the series, instead of a bio that tells things from an omniscient third-party perspective.

I'd like to think of that sort of thing as more of a compliment to a profile rather than a replacement. I'd be happy to post one alongside said profile, but i'm terrible at making a myspace or facebook page layout. If somebody here wants to get on that feel free to.

Bah, this is me thinking out loudly, so don't take offense or anything.

Godfather on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't really see the point in having a humongous OP. If someone wants in depth knowledge of the series then they can go look at the One Piece Wiki or some other fan site. In my opinion, the OP should just be a single post that highlights why One Piece is cool and why people should watch it with some cool pictures or youtube looks thrown in, anything else just seems like it's more likely to intimidate people about the size of the show.

khain on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's a fair observation.

I guess i'll leave it to the community to decide what to do here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    the giant op and character bios were fun while it lasted, but going small would be wiser if your goal is to draw in new fans

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The OP should be nothing but a giant picture of
    LABOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think i'll just link to the OP of this thread instead of making a giant OP, and backlog the other threads as time goes by.

I think I did a pretty decent job of it, but it would probably be a pain in the ass to keep updating it, when all I really want to do is talk about the show instead of dissect it.

I'll just point them to the OP of the first thread if they're interested in the series.

Godfather on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think i'll just link to the OP of this thread instead of making a giant OP, and backlog the other threads as time goes by.

I think I did a pretty decent job of it, but it would probably be a pain in the ass to keep updating it, when all I really want to do is talk about the show instead of dissect it.

I'll just point them to the OP of the first thread if they're interested in the series.

That's probably the best solution.

Still now I want to make a Brook myspace page.
    His first blog ?

All these new friends! The internet brings joy to my heart. Oh I don't have a heart because I'm a Skeleton! SKULL JOKE! YO HO HO HO!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok... wait. I thought the manga was on like Chapter 550 and the anime is on episode 412. Isn't every 1 chapter an episode?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ok... wait. I thought the manga was on like Chapter 550 and the anime is on episode 412. Isn't every 1 chapter an episode?

Well, lately it hasn't been able to do this, but the typical norm for long running shows based on Jump properties is 2 chapters = 1 episode.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like the crew profiles, so I'm fine with keeping them.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

the anime is also around 50 chapters behind where the manga is. and on average I'd say it's a little more than 1 chapter per episode so the show slowly creeps up to the end of the manga. Luckily Op is fairly good at keeping pace so we don't end up with entire years of filler *coughnarutocough*.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Foomy wrote: »

the anime is also around 50 chapters behind where the manga is. and on average I'd say it's a little more than 1 chapter per episode so the show slowly creeps up to the end of the manga. Luckily Op is fairly good at keeping pace so we don't end up with entire years of filler *coughnarutocough*.

Eh, that method isn't too bad. I mean when you buy time with a year or so of filler you don't have to destroy any semblance of good pacing by going a single chapter per episode and/or inserting filler into canon arcs.

Instead it's easily ignored, you can just wait it out and watch something else in the meantime.

Slicer on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    With regards to the anime catching up to the mange, the setup I'm seeing is that the anime will show in more detail
    what happens to each of the crew members after Kuma paws them off to various islands.

If so, that'll probably be a lot of filler, but honestly I don't mind. I've liked most of the one piece filler. And it might make for a nice breather before or after
    the ginourmous marineford fight.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After watching the newest anime episode, I realized something I didn't quite get in the manga:
    Luffy had to get very angry in order to unleash his haki. Until he learns to somehow control it, he can only use haki when he is pissed off. My guess is that something will push him over the edge during the upcoming battle, making him angrier than we have ever seen him. It's anybody's guess what'll do it.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keep the OP, Godfather. I believe one or two people started watching/reading One Piece because of it. Also most of the work is done.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd keep it too, but you can easily skim down alot of the fluff to something not as umm... overbearing.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    With regards to the anime catching up to the mange, the setup I'm seeing is that the anime will show in more detail
    what happens to each of the crew members after Kuma paws them off to various islands.

If so, that'll probably be a lot of filler, but honestly I don't mind. I've liked most of the one piece filler. And it might make for a nice breather before or after
    the ginourmous marineford fight.

I wouldn't expect more than an episode or two apiece.

Which is, of course, 16 episodes, or more than half of a season, unto itself. Plenty of time

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    After watching the newest anime episode, I realized something I didn't quite get in the manga:
    Luffy had to get very angry in order to unleash his haki. Until he learns to somehow control it, he can only use haki when he is pissed off. My guess is that something will push him over the edge during the upcoming battle, making him angrier than we have ever seen him. It's anybody's guess what'll do it.
    I would say the most likely trigger, would be Hancock herself being found out as the one who let him into Impel Down, and being hurt/threatened/killed(yeah right) for it, by either Akainu or Sengoku. They are the two hardliners in the very top of the Marines. Aokiji is too lazy, and Kizaru while Absolute Justicey, is kind of spacey and weird. Akainu is all serious business/true believer, and wouldn't hesitate to kill a pirate that betrayed the world government, same with Sengoku, but I'd peg him as less likely because he has a stuffed pigeon hat. Besides, all Akainu has done is look stern and mysterious, so when he does something, you know it'll be good.

It's not going to be long before someone figures it out, I mean, there was only one ship that come to the Prison in the time frame, and a few seconds of lost Den Den Mushi footage.

He promised to make it up to her and vowed not to give her up, if she were to be endangered because helping him, that'll Haki some shit out and faces will be punched to custard.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm sorry, there's been little indication thus far that Luffy considers Hancock any closer to his inner circle of friends than, say, Mr. 2 (a man whose dire circumstances caused Luffy to release Haki). Now, of course Boa being hurt would likely be sufficient for him to do it again, seeing as how he used it first with Margaret (whom he didn't know very well) on the line (although it could be argued that it was more of his outrage that her own townspeople were willing to abandon her to her death), but if we're discussing 'more enraged than ever before', there are only two people in the vicinity whose deaths and/or serious wounding would qualify.
    Ace, and possibly Garp.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, it's not that's it's because her, it's that only she is around, and I wouldn't say she would be more valuable to him than his crew, but doubtless he thinks of her as a friend, and is indebted to her and wouldn't want her to suffer for helping is all. I'm not saying he holds her in special regard, it's just she's around and potentially in a little danger. I mean Bon Clay isn't in his crew but when he was threatened he busted out the Haki, she may not be as close as that yet, but it doesn't take much for Luffy to value somebody's friendship. What would make this bigger than ever, would be the situation, how he got her in trouble. I'm not saying it's true wuv or anything, just it has a shitload of potential to go wrong for Hancock.
    Ace is a little to obvious. Garp, well that makes as much sense, but I don't know what could happen to him.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Manga Speculation
    I'm guessing that in one or two chapters the Marines will set off a huge trap that catches all the Whitebeard pirates and their allies. It'll be some ridiculous thing that took weeks to prepare or something, i.e. will be a non-repeatable, one time only deal. Then Luffy's group will show up and free everyone, thereby playing a pivotal role in the battle despite their relatively meager numbers and strength.

Cantide on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spoilers are out for manga chapter 554:
    Chapter title Admiral Akainu
    coverstory Chopper

A Mythical Zoan even rarer than Logia, that regenerates from any attack with flames.
    Phoenix Marcooooooooooooo
    And Kizaru fights each other, but neither of their attacks affects each other.

Third division captain (Jozu) picks up an iceburg and throws it.
    Akainu feeling danger from it, finally gets up and shoots a beam of magma, called "Eruption", and destroys the iceburg. A volcanic boulder is thrown at Whitebeard, but he casually stabs it with his polearm.

Why don't you go light a candle on a cake, boy. says Whitebeard

Bunch of pages of unnamed characters duking out

Finally, Little Oz Jr, a decsendent of the Oz that had Luffy inside of him before, shows up to rescue Ace.
    VA Otsuru says well there's a bothersome one...

The shadow user (Moria) sees that, and wants his corpse.
    Doflamingo sticks his tongue out, saying he's tingling with excitement.
    It ends right there.

Opinions:
    A phoenix fruit, and a magma fruit? Very fun. The little tie in with Oz’s descendant is a nice touch.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So Akainu is the Magma Magma man? And Marco is the Phoenix Phoenix man? Sweeeet. Diamond Diamond and Phoenix Phoenix are my :^::^:

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is it a Magma Paramecia or a Magma Logia, I wonder?

Sorry, GF. Messed up the tagging. :(

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dammit, i've been spoilered!

I was even gonna go cold turkey this week! Crap!

Godfather on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't wait to see Oz Jr. , knowing Oda he's going to be adorable

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I like how this chapter shows that aside from Mihawk, the Shichibukai have just been standing there and watching the show.

Probably eating popcorn too. Can't trust those pirates.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I like how this chapter shows that aside from Mihawk, the Shichibukai have just been standing there and watching the show.

Did the government ever actually order them to fight or did the government just tell them to show up?

Couscous on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Did the government ever actually order them to fight or did the government just tell them to show up?

This is a very important distinction.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So you think it will be an early release this week?

Last time I went cold turkey it was during
    The colossal "Ace=Gold Roger's son" reveal.

I am SO glad that I went on vacation that week.

Godfather on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might as well be honest. I was reading manga spoilers in this thread back when I was still in East Blue in the anime. I am the worst person with spoilers I know.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I might as well be honest. I was reading manga spoilers in this thread back when I was still in East Blue in the anime. I am the worst person with spoilers I know.

Man, reading the spoilers was what got me into this series in the first place.

When I first started I only knew about the crappy 4kids dub. I looked it up on Wiki, and imagine my surprise to find that this was the biggest series since Dragonball.

Then I read the plot summary about Luffy punching God in the face and I was sold.

Godfather on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It won't probably be released early, but the spoilers will probably be more detailed.

so far it's pretty good and it's only Tuesday.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Funi is restarting the streaming of the piece at the end of the month.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
This discussion has been closed.