Options

[One Piece] 550+ chapters, 0 regrets

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actually for a lot of people it doesn't really pick up till Baratie.

You're in Gold territory now.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Actually for a lot of people it doesn't really pick up till Baratie.

You're in Gold territory now.

Plus, right after the Baratie Arc is the Arlong Arc which eventually becomes an ongoing series of Crowning Moments of Awesome (no link to save lives from TVTropes) for each crewman.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Personally I only really feel like One Piece became more epic every subsequent episode starting at Enies Lobby. Before then it's as good as the Zabuza arc from Naruto.

Right now it's my favorite manga and probably the most well told and epic story I've ever read.

notagame on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think one major component of the success of the One Piece plot was how good Oda is at worldbuilding. Almost from the outset he started revealing, little by little, the major movers and shakers of the One Piece world, and when it finally culminates into a huge throwdown (like here), you get a sense of just how much the whole world is going to be affected by this brawl.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I think one major component of the success of the One Piece plot was how good Oda is at worldbuilding. Almost from the outset he started revealing, little by little, the major movers and shakers of the One Piece world, and when it finally culminates into a huge throwdown (like here), you get a sense of just how much the whole world is going to be affected by this brawl.

And Pureauthor knocks it out of the park.

This is the exact reason why One Piece has stayed so fresh for over ten years;

World building

No other manga artist/writer gets this but Oda. The fact that he's been carefully planning his area, setting up the pieces little by little that by the time it's due for checkmate it's downright frightening at how overbearing it is.

He is a grade-A manga writer. The fact that he can take a manga with such a goofy art style and catapult it into one of the top mangas in the world is more than enough proof.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The one thing I don't like about One Piece is how it prevents Oda from doing other work. I would love to see what he could do in another universe or setting.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But is there a better setting than a world of super-hero pirates? I think not.

I am interested to see what he does after One Piece, though that won't be for atleast 10 or 11 years.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And Pureauthor knocks it out of the park.

This is the exact reason why One Piece has stayed so fresh for over ten years;

World building

No other manga artist/writer gets this but Oda. The fact that he's been carefully planning his area, setting up the pieces little by little that by the time it's due for checkmate it's downright frightening at how overbearing it is.

He is a grade-A manga writer. The fact that he can take a manga with such a goofy art style and catapult it into one of the top mangas in the world is more than enough proof.

Yeah, and this is most major spectacle yet, and there is another half a world, and like a dozen other major players untouched upon. Dragon and the revolutionaries, the other two Yonkou, the World Government's council of old dudes, Dr. Vegapunk, the Fishman Isle and whatever shit we don't even know yet.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    But is there a better setting than a world of super-hero pirates? I think not.

I am interested to see what he does after One Piece, though that won't be for atleast 10 or 11 years.

Honestly? The man can retire happy. OP will have remakes of remakes, revisons and movies long after the manga ends.

Though I hope if he does make a new Manga he uses Tezuka's star system and reuses the OP cast.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I just read most of Enis Lobby over the last day or two, and it really is the best arc yet, along with its sister arc Water 7. The Thriller Bark arc is kinda meh after all of that, but it's stil a fun read, and I can see now that
    Kuma
    has come along that shit is about to go down.

But yeah, I don't regret getting so big on One Piece earlier because there's such a big backlog, and I read everything ludicrously fast, so the archive binge on One Piece over this last week and a half has been amazing. I had read it for a couple years before this on and off when the volumes were available at the library, just like I do with almost every other shonen (and manga in general), but unlike the other ones, this one is really worth reading. Though I don't mind Bleach every now and again, even that suffers from a few flaws.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Yeah, I just read most of Enis Lobby over the last day or two, and it really is the best arc yet, along with its sister arc Water 7. The Thriller Bark arc is kinda meh after all of that, but it's stil a fun read, and I can see now that
    Kuma

But yeah, I don't regret getting so big on One Piece earlier because there's such a big backlog, and I read everything ludicrously fast, so the archive binge on One Piece over this last week and a half has been amazing. I had read it for a couple years before this on and off when the volumes were available at the library, just like I do with almost every other shonen (and manga in general), but unlike the other ones, this one is really worth reading. Though I don't mind Bleach every now and again, even that suffers from a few flaws.

One Piece benefits from being largely immune to Shonen Jump Questionnaires.( I suggest everyone read Bakuman as it highlights how important( and utterly stupid) these questionnaires are to the manga making process.) It sells insanely well the movies always do very good for a non foreign film and the manga collections routinely sell out. Oda is literally King Midas and allowed free reign.

Conversely Bleach does well but it's nowhere near the level of Op or Naruto and sadly subject to tons of interference. There's a reason why The Captains and Vaizards show up more than the core cast that Kubotite spent months developing before soul society and are now virtually ignored.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kuma

One Piece benefits from being largely immune to Shonen Jump Questionnaires.( I suggest everyone read Bakuman as it highlights how important( and utterly stupid) these questionnaires are to the manga making process.) It sells insanely well the movies always do very good for a non foreign film and the manga collections routinely sell out. Oda is literally King Midas and allowed free reign.

Conversely Bleach does well but it's nowhere near the level of Op or Naruto and sadly subject to tons of interference. There's a reason why The Captains and Vaizards show up more than the core cast that Kubotite spent months developing before soul society and are now virtually ignored.

Wait, can you explain this questionnaires bit? I get the executive meddling fanservice character development bit, but I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, me as well. All I know about Shonen Jump is that comics appear in it and then get translated.

Edit- Ugh, I can tell that's horrible grammar, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix that sentence.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've never heard anything about Bleach getting interference, I thought it was always just Tite being himself and everything I've heard points to that.

Got a source on that?

Slicer on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, can you explain this questionnaires bit? I get the executive meddling fanservice character development bit, but I'm unfamiliar with the process.

if bakuman is any indication then shounen jump lives and dies on reader response

you're ranked depending on responses from the questionnaire included in each issue and once you drop below rank fifteen or thereabouts you can be given the ax at any time

what's more the manga are arranged in order of popularity so it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy after a certain point

Rust on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rust wrote: »

if bakuman is any indication then shounen jump lives and dies on reader response

you're ranked depending on responses from the questionnaire included in each issue and once you drop below rank fifteen or thereabouts you can be given the ax at any time

what's more the manga are arranged in order of popularity so it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy after a certain point

Yeah pretty much.

Even long running stuff is not immune.

Shaman King got cancelled after 30-some volumes.

Slicer on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Yeah pretty much.

so that how it works. Once I got into eyeshield 21 I was sad how it ended.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So i'm going out of town (again!) for the remainder of the day tomorrow.

I'm a bit worried about this thread, because i'm pretty sure we'll have spent the last four pages before I have anything set up for the next OP.

I promise to have a OP set up by tomorrow evening, so don't go making a new topic on me.

Godfather on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Yeah pretty much.

Did ES21 actually get canceled? I always felt that it kind of dragged after the big game that everything built up to and where it should have ended. Shaman King also got kind of stale in the later chapters and had some story problems.

khain on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Yeah pretty much.

I honestly think it was pushed to continue. That last arc was lame.

Shaman King had way more problems than being unpopular( which it wasn't) The author made tons of unpopular( that's not to say he wasn't right) statements using Shaman king as a medium.

One Piece is currently the new Dragonball though so a lot of this doesn't apply to it which is both a blessing and hideously unfair to other authors.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So that's why the character rankings are deemed so important. Huh.

For those curious, here's the full listing (top 50) of the one from 2008 (I think) in Bleach. Prepare to be depressed.
    1º Hitsugaya Toushiro 8278 votes

2º Kuchiki Rukia 7895 votes

3º Kurosaki Ichigo 7829 votes

4º Grimmjow 4987 votes

5º Ishida Uryu 4710 votes

6º Hinamori Momo 4102 votes

7º Kuchiki Byakuya 4010 votes

8º Inoue Orihime 3975 votes

9º Kira Izuru 3852 votes

10º Ulquiorra 3751 votes

11º Abarai Renji 3746 votes

12º Ichimaru Gin 3699 votes

13º Ayasegawa yumichika 3443 votos

14º Hisagi Shuuhei 3400 votes

15º Zaraki Kenpachi 3385 votes

16º Kojima Mizuiro 3250 votes

17º Kyoraku Shunsui 2844 votes

18º Sado Yasutora 2477 votes

19º Ukikake Jyushiro 2003 votes

20º Urahara Kisuke 1752 votes

21º Matsumoto Rangiku 1666 votes

22º Madarame Ikkaku 1621 votes

23º Aizen Sounosuke 1423 votes

24º Nnoitra 1315 votes

25º Soi Fong 1228 votes

26º Shiba Kaien 1097 votes

27º Kusashika Yachiru 980 votes

28º Shihouin Yoruichi 752 votes

29º Szayel Apollo 537 votes

30º Nell 410 votes

31º Soul Candy King 390 votes

32º Agon 341 votes

33º Tousen Kaname 298 votes

34 Kurotsuchi Nemu 246 votes

35º Ashido 215 votes

36º Komamura Sajin 190 votes

37º Shiro Ichigo 180 votes

38º Kuchiki Hisana 162 votes

39º Luppi 155 votes

40º Kon 135 votes

41º Hirako Shinji 118 votes

42º Yamada Hanatarou 107 votes

43º Ishida Ryuken 99 votes

44º Mutsuguruma Kensei 82 votes

45º Chilchi 69 votes

46º II Forte Grand 62 votes

47º Shiba Ganju 58 votes

48º Kuritsuchi Mayuri 53 votes

49º Tesla 49 votes

50º Kurosaki Isshin 45 votes

It's just....so fucking awful.

I'd make this on topic by including the latest One Piece one, but it's three years old.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hating Mexicans, another thing the US and Japan have in common!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    To bump things back on topic, here's a (surprising) breakdown of what was manga's top dog for various age groups in Japan for 2009:
    Men:

10-20

1. ONE PIECE

2. NARUTO

3. Full Metal Alchemist

4. BLEACH

5. Hayate no Gotoku

6. Hitman Reborn

7. Soul Eater

8. FAIRY TAIL

9. D.Gray-Man

10. To Love-Ru

20-30

1. ONE PIECE

2. Full Metal Alchemist

3. HUNTERxHUNTER

4. NARUTO

5. BLEACH

6. Negima!

7. Tenjo Tenge

8. Black Lagoon

9. Hayate no Gotoku

10. Yotsuba-to!

30-40

1. ONE PIECE

2. Vagabond

3. PLUTO

4. BASTARD!!

5. Full Metal Alchemist

6. Berserk

7. HUNTERxHUNTER

8. NARUTO

9. Initial D

10. Yotsuba-to!

40-50

1. ONE PIECE

2. PLUTO

3. Initial D

4. Nodame Cantabile

5. NARU

6. Shacho Kousaku Shima

7. Full Metal Alchemist

8. Zipang

9. Kamen Rider Spirits

10. BASTARD!!

Hurry up and get on the bandwagon America!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am most pleased to see FMA placed on all those lists, too.

Also, apparently I need to check out HunterxHunter

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To bump things back on topic, here's a (surprising) breakdown of what was manga's top dog for various age groups in Japan for 2009:
    Men:

10-20

1. ONE PIECE

2. NARUTO

3. Full Metal Alchemist

4. BLEACH

5. Hayate no Gotoku

6. Hitman Reborn

7. Soul Eater

8. FAIRY TAIL

9. D.Gray-Man

10. To Love-Ru

20-30

1. ONE PIECE

2. Full Metal Alchemist

3. HUNTERxHUNTER

4. NARUTO

5. BLEACH

6. Negima!

7. Tenjo Tenge

8. Black Lagoon

9. Hayate no Gotoku

10. Yotsuba-to!

30-40

1. ONE PIECE

2. Vagabond

3. PLUTO

4. BASTARD!!

5. Full Metal Alchemist

6. Berserk

7. HUNTERxHUNTER

8. NARUTO

9. Initial D

10. Yotsuba-to!

40-50

1. ONE PIECE

2. PLUTO

3. Initial D

4. Nodame Cantabile

5. NARU

6. Shacho Kousaku Shima

7. Full Metal Alchemist

8. Zipang

9. Kamen Rider Spirits

10. BASTARD!!

Hurry up and get on the bandwagon America!

Fuck yeah Pluto!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I am most pleased to see FMA placed on all those lists, too.

Also, apparently I need to check out HunterxHunter

yea, it's like naruto, except about ten gajillion times better.

Prepare to be depressed when you get to where the rest of us are as you wonder whether we will get another chapter before the mangaka dies.

NotYou on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Doncha love how One Piece leads the pack in everything?

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    NotYou wrote: »
    yea, it's like naruto, except about ten gajillion times better.

Don't much care for that art style. It looks like zatch bell.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

One of the volumes around Ennies Lobby was the best-selling book ever in Japan, before the last Harry Potter came out.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It helps that is literally bear hugs genre conventions while simultaneously doing whatever the hell it wants.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just think it blows hard that the US is completely missing out on this. I can't tell you the number of conversations about the Piece that have been stomped over by retarded shit like Naruto and Bleach, completely steamrolled without a second thought.

I haven't had too bad an experience with Naruto fans, but Bleach fans are the worst; I swear it's like listening to Dave Matthews Band fanatics.

From the way students talk about it at my school you'd have thought it was the holy grail of manga, when in reality there is something so much better out there. It's like comparing a withered raisin to a bountiful vineyard of grapes.

It's just not fair.

Honestly if it wasn't for you guys I would have gone crazy over here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When everyone was talking up Bleach and I got into it, it was right at the tail end of the Soul Society arc. At that point, frankly, Bleach was that good. It hit all the right notes, it's just that the series blew its whole wad that early. Anime-wise, this was mid to late '05. This was just as One Piece anime was shifting from Davy Back to Water 7.

Now, mind you, the manga were both long past that point by then, but a LOT more people watch anime than read manga.

The quality of the 50 or so episodes of Bleach through that period of time exceeded the quality of the previous 50 episodes of One Piece, which was basically the Davy Back filler. At the time everyone talked it up, Bleach was that good. It just had nothing left.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just think it blows hard that the US is completely missing out on this. I can't tell you the number of conversations about the Piece that have been stomped over by retarded shit like Naruto and Bleach, completely steamrolled without a second thought.

I haven't had too bad an experience with Naruto fans, but Bleach fans are the worst; I swear it's like listening to Dave Matthews Band fanatics.

From the way students talk about it at my school you'd have thought it was the holy grail of manga, when in reality there is something so much better out there. It's like comparing a withered raisin to a bountiful vineyard of grapes.

It's just not fair.

Honestly if it wasn't for you guys I would have gone crazy over here.

I can relate. I generally read a lot of off the track manga. Rarely if ever do I have anyone to talk with about it. Op is not off the track and I blame 4kids for even suggesting it is.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't One Piece's mangling basically kill 4Kids's anime dubbing outright? I don't think they took up any series after that.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When everyone was talking up Bleach and I got into it, it was right at the tail end of the Soul Society arc. At that point, frankly, Bleach was that good. It hit all the right notes, it's just that the series blew its whole wad that early. Anime-wise, this was mid to late '05. This was just as One Piece anime was shifting from Davy Back to Water 7.

Now, mind you, the manga were both long past that point by then, but a LOT more people watch anime than read manga.

The quality of the 50 or so episodes of Bleach through that period of time exceeded the quality of the previous 50 episodes of One Piece, which was basically the Davy Back filler. At the time everyone talked it up, Bleach was that good. It just had nothing left.

Same here, Bleach was the first anime I had watched since DBZ. There was so much promise in the Soul Society arc, and then... well, we all know.

The same thing happened with Naruto, to a lesser extreme, after the Chunin arc. It laid the groundwork for an awesome story/world and then never followed through.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Didn't One Piece's mangling basically kill 4Kids's anime dubbing outright? I don't think they took up any series after that.

They still have Yu-gi-oh but apparently they almost lost the rights to the new series to Funimation and took it at a loss to keep them.

Unfortunately Uppedeck has them making shows for most of their new card game IP's so they'll be around for a bit.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

See, I agree with you here.

Bleach during Soul Society was great shounen; before that arc the series was going nowhere fast, and was on route to becoming another Zombie Powder. So Tite started getting his shit together and threw down a decent ladder power creep story. It wasn't fancy, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I could just read between the lines, and realized that Tite blew his load way too early so he could force himself into the spotlight. It was as if he was so desperate to turn one of his series into a power hitter manga that he exhausted all of his last-resort options to get there, and now he's got nothing left. None of the fans can see through this, despite how much I point this observation out.

On the other hand, Oda planned his story out carefully, pacing himself out and thinking up new situations, island locales and story venues instead of power up-up-UP. And even when Oda fell into a bit of a rut in terms of pacing (Skypeia for example), he was quick to fix that, and started implementing/tying in more of the world standings into his backlog.

While Tite had one good story arc and has been coasting on it ever since, Oda's churned out so many more on equal or better footing, with no signs of slowing down.

I basically lost all respect for Tite considering that we've been in the same damn 24 hour time period for over two fucking years, all because he can't write a coherent story to save his life.

EDIT: The main problem for series like Naruto and Bleach is that they tried to mimic Dragonball Z to a science, where as One Piece went and did its own thing, because according to Oda, Toriyama achieved everything a little kid could ever want in a comic, and it would be a fool's gambit to go in the same damn direction.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think the biggest problem with Naruto and Bleach is the absolutely stupendous amount of filler both shows have. Bleach, it seemed to me, hit filler like a coke addict needing a hit throughout the Espada arc and it almost universally sucked. When it was on topic, it still had some of the best fight scenes out there (Grimmjow/Ichigo round 3 was just as epic as Goku/Frieza), but it simply caught up to the manga too quickly or the producers felt the show needed breathing room away from the manga. The same thing happened to Naruto. Chunin arc up through Sasuke's departure was solid gold, some of the best shounen ever made. Then the show went on filler for 2 goddamn years and when it finally came back, reverted to Bleach-levels of filler.

One Piece, even at its worst, goes on filler for a fraction of the time that Naruto and Bleach do. This keeps the show consistent which makes it dramatically more enjoyable. Bleach/Naruto bungee up and down so much in quality that it's difficult to enjoy even at the best of times (because when those shows peak, the descent is that much harder to bear).

Also, is the G-8 arc filler? I'm watching it now and it's really fun and enjoyable, not to mention short! A huge breath of fresh air after Skypiea and so desperately needed.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think it had more to do with Nintendo pulling the Pokemon franchise out from under them and the original Yu-Gi-Oh winding down.

Of course the fact that they didn't have a successful license after Yu-Gi-Oh was pretty damning.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, is the G-8 arc filler? I'm watching it now and it's really fun and enjoyable, not to mention short! A huge breath of fresh air after Skypiea and so desperately needed.
    Yeah, it's filler, and damn fine filler at that (which is something neither of the other series mentioned has); the conclusion is obviously not epic enough to be Oda, but it's a fun arc.

Glal on
This discussion has been closed.