Options

[One Piece] 550+ chapters, 0 regrets

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Didn't One Piece's mangling basically kill 4Kids's anime dubbing outright? I don't think they took up any series after that.

I think it had more to do with Nintendo pulling the Pokemon franchise out from under them and the original Yu-Gi-Oh winding down.

Of course the fact that they didn't have a successful license after Yu-Gi-Oh was pretty damning.

They had Ninja Turtles but they somehow managed to fuck that up.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They did a good job with Ninja turtles but that boat sailed nearly ten years ago.

It's very fucking hard to market a kid's show when your main audiance is 18-25.

See, every anime after DBZ, including the one we're talking about in this very thread.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If OP had been marketed just like Naruto or hell, even Inuyasha was (i.e. brought over by Viz or Funimation from the get go) then it would still be on somewhere right now.

It wasn't handled well, and even the relaunch wasn't marketed at all.

See. OP has just the right level of violence and "mature situations" that could be easily paired down to fit in just about any timeslot. It's not like Case Closed which was pretty much DQ from an earlier timeslot because of all the murder and kidnapping, even though both shows appeal to basically the same audience in Japan.

Ideally it would have been picked up by Funi, ran with the end of DBZ, and would be slowly creeping up on the Japanese version. But nooo...

And that's where my dislike of 4Kids really comes from. Their mishandling of pretty much every non Pokemon/Yu-Gi-oh license pretty much doomed shows from ever getting off the ground. They could handle shows with easy to define age groups and tons of easily tie in merch but couldn't do a non merch show at all.

Just look at what Viz did when they brought over Naruto. Carpet bombed bookstores, Spencer gifts/Hot Topics/shitty Tween shows. Made sure the games were brought over. Worked for the merch.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They did a good job with Ninja turtles but that boat sailed nearly ten years ago.

It's very fucking hard to market a kid's show when your main audiance is 18-25.

Just look at what Viz did when they brought over Naruto. Carpet bombed bookstores, Spencer gifts/Hot Topics/shitty Tween shows. Made sure the games were brought over. Worked for the merch.

I feel part of Viz's early handling of OP was due to their not getting the anime. I recall some very overt 4 kids bashing in Animerica when they announced who got the series.

Turtles was an odd case it did well partly because Kevin Eastman had final say over the series. However they wanted Yu-gi-oh numbers which wasn't going to happen. The same thing with One Piece except it didn't do well because they treated it like shit from the beginning and figured like DBZ fans would embrace it.

They of course did not realize the internet existed unlike DBZ's heyday

King Riptor on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has Oda ever been interviewed about the 4kids disaster? I would like hear his thoughts on the matter.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    I just think it blows hard that the US is completely missing out on this. I can't tell you the number of conversations about the Piece that have been stomped over by retarded shit like Naruto and Bleach, completely steamrolled without a second thought.

I haven't had too bad an experience with Naruto fans, but Bleach fans are the worst; I swear it's like listening to Dave Matthews Band fanatics.

From the way students talk about it at my school you'd have thought it was the holy grail of manga, when in reality there is something so much better out there. It's like comparing a withered raisin to a bountiful vineyard of grapes.

It's just not fair.

Honestly if it wasn't for you guys I would have gone crazy over here.

The US is missing out? One Piece has been making the top 10 manga sold in the US (in the weekly lists, at least) a few times, so it's far from obscure in the west. Granted it could be doing better but hey, it's obviously selling well enough to justify increasing the amount of volumes released per month.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kubo's definitely a better poet and artist than he is a storyteller; if you can look past the glacially slow pace and try to enjoy Bleach on those merits there's a lot to like there.

Anyway, One Piece!
    Seems to me that Oda's been trying to make Zoan fruit users cooler recently. For a while fan sentiment was that they were by far the lamest class of Devil Fruit, but between Rob Lucci, the revelation of dinosaur Zoans, and now mythical beast Zoans, they've earned quite a bit of cachet.

I'm going to make a prediction: one of the Four Emperors ate the Dragon Dragon Fruit. Sound plausible?

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I think one major component of the success of the One Piece plot was how good Oda is at worldbuilding. Almost from the outset he started revealing, little by little, the major movers and shakers of the One Piece world, and when it finally culminates into a huge throwdown (like here), you get a sense of just how much the whole world is going to be affected by this brawl.

And Pureauthor knocks it out of the park.

This is the exact reason why One Piece has stayed so fresh for over ten years;

World building

No other manga artist/writer gets this but Oda. The fact that he's been carefully planning his area, setting up the pieces little by little that by the time it's due for checkmate it's downright frightening at how overbearing it is.

He is a grade-A manga writer. The fact that he can take a manga with such a goofy art style and catapult it into one of the top mangas in the world is more than enough proof.

Exactly. I am heading into Arabasta, and I am already taken by how big and fantastic the world is. I want an RPG in the One Piece world, thank you very much.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't forget the 'Awakened' Zoan forms in Impel Down, whatever that means.

Also, we need a Nidhogg Zoan.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm starting to think that 'Awakened' Zoans are ones who have more than the three basic forms - basically, they can naturally do what Chopper has to force via Rumble Ball. And that they have a sort of 'ultimate' form ala crazy Chopper, which they can retain their minds during - which is the form we saw during Impel Down

re: Andy Joe
    Dragon dragon fruit would be awesome.

However, just because it's so perfectly silly, if anyone has that one I'd imagine it'd be Monkey D. Dragon

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For added hilarity, there should one Eastern Dragon fruit and one Western Dragon fruit - and then they fight.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

However, just because it's so perfectly silly, if anyone has that one I'd imagine it'd be Monkey D. Dragon
    That would make too much sense for Oda, I think. :P

Besides, he already has the weather control/air Logia power.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know what was another pretty good, well thought out shonen? RAVE Master. Had the same worldbuilding elements as One Piece, some genius plot twists, and some half-decent romance/fanservice to boot. And it managed to actually end nice and properly after 35ish volumes rather than dragging on. And like One Piece, it got sorta screwed over in the US. Not as badly, but there was a feeling of the dubbing and publishing companies not really liking the anime (which is, as usual, nowhere near the manga in quality) or marketing the manga. But then, the anime got screwed in japan as well, so yeah.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm starting to think that 'Awakened' Zoans are ones who have more than the three basic forms - basically, they can naturally do what Chopper has to force via Rumble Ball. And that they have a sort of 'ultimate' form ala crazy Chopper, which they can retain their minds during - which is the form we saw during Impel Down

Wait who/ what was an "awakened Zoan"?

Arch on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arch wrote: »

The Demon Guards: Minotauros, Minorhinoceros, Minokoala, Minozebra.

Behold their terrifying visage!

DemonBeast.png

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

DemonBeast.png

Didn't know they were Zoan much less awakened

Arch on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

DemonBeast.png

Crocodile mentioned it. It was easy to miss.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

DemonBeast.png

Crocodile mentioned it. It was easy to miss.

Yehp, missed it the first time. thanks!

Arch on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    there was just too much awesome shit happening in that chapter, it's not your fault

Rust on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    You know what was another pretty good, well thought out shonen? RAVE Master. Had the same worldbuilding elements as One Piece, some genius plot twists, and some half-decent romance/fanservice to boot. And it managed to actually end nice and properly after 35ish volumes rather than dragging on. And like One Piece, it got sorta screwed over in the US. Not as badly, but there was a feeling of the dubbing and publishing companies not really liking the anime (which is, as usual, nowhere near the manga in quality) or marketing the manga. But then, the anime got screwed in japan as well, so yeah.

I need to give that a try again. Last time I read it there was a ton of just shit scans and it wasn't complete. But overall I wasn't too impressed with the series. I just read up to current on Fairy Tail and it left me with the same feeling RM did. I am not actually sure what is missing it just feels like something is lacking.

Plus the art style seems hella familiar to Oda's to me. The start of Fairy Tail made me think I was following Luffy and Nami around in some spin-off adventure.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Once again I have gone silent on spoilers this week, but the little details that slip out of spoilers make it sound awesome.

It should be out today or tomorrow, right?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Once again I have gone silent on spoilers this week, but the little details that slip out of spoilers make it sound awesome.

It should be out today or tomorrow, right?

We've been getting them stupid early lately, so don't expect that to be the norm. Standard day is Friday.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Has Oda ever been interviewed about the 4kids disaster? I would like hear his thoughts on the matter.

He's very particular about how his story is portrayed. I know he didn't like how they skipped Luffy's origins when the Japanese version was released nor how Nami was everywhere.

I recall at least one interview where he didn't believe there should be edits and he was a major factor in the names being pretty much the same for the 4 kids dub.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    You know what was another pretty good, well thought out shonen? RAVE Master

I need to give that a try again.

The TokyoPop translation is pretty good, and if your library carries it, Rave Master should be up to volume 32 (just before the end).

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think one major component of the success of the One Piece plot was how good Oda is at worldbuilding. Almost from the outset he started revealing, little by little, the major movers and shakers of the One Piece world, and when it finally culminates into a huge throwdown (like here), you get a sense of just how much the whole world is going to be affected by this brawl.

And Pureauthor knocks it out of the park.

This is the exact reason why One Piece has stayed so fresh for over ten years;

World building

No other manga artist/writer gets this but Oda. The fact that he's been carefully planning his area, setting up the pieces little by little that by the time it's due for checkmate it's downright frightening at how overbearing it is.

He is a grade-A manga writer. The fact that he can take a manga with such a goofy art style and catapult it into one of the top mangas in the world is more than enough proof.

I agree completely. Worldbuilding, or rather the lack of it, is what turned me off of Hunter x Hunter.

In the Greed Island arc, the characters got several huge power upgrades, accomplished stuff that tons of other Hunters before them had tried and failed, and along the way defeated an enemy that even the Big Bads of the series were wary of, only to find out in the next arc that they were just "mid-level" Hunters. That was the exact point where I gave up on the series.

Cantide on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm right in the middle of the thriller bark arc, and I kinda see where the complaints come from. It's a bit too gimmicky for my tastes, and both the last arc and this current arc kinda bother me since the crew have clearly shown a capability to kick ass.
    Nami and Chopper specifically. Usopp has always been a bit of a coward (well, the most "normal" of the crew anyway) but Nami and Chopper should have significantly more self confidence given their combat experience at Enies lobby.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    I'm right in the middle of the thriller bark arc, and I kinda see where the complaints come from. It's a bit too gimmicky for my tastes, and both the last arc and this current arc kinda bother me since the crew have clearly shown a capability to kick ass.
    Nami and Chopper specifically. Usopp has always been a bit of a coward (well, the most "normal" of the crew anyway) but Nami and Chopper should have significantly more self confidence given their combat experience at Enies lobby.
    but zombies are freakin scary

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nami, Chopper, Usopp, and Brook make up team coward. They only fight when someone else's or their own back is to the wall.

Luffy, Zolo, Sogeking (sometimes) and surprisingly Robin make up team fearless. Luffy and Zolo are too stupid to know that they are heading into danger, and Robin is semi suicidal.

Franky and Sanji make up team gonna show up and be awesome when needed. Sanji more so than Franky. Both of them can be pushed into team fearless when their interests are threatened. But then really, so can the entire team coward.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nami, Chopper, Usopp, and Brook make up team coward. They only fight when someone else's or their own back is to the wall.

Luffy, Zolo, Sogeking (sometimes) and surprisingly Robin make up team fearless. Luffy and Zolo are too stupid to know that they are heading into danger, and Robin is semi suicidal.

Franky and Sanji make up team gonna show up and be awesome when needed. Sanji more so than Franky. Both of them can be pushed into team fearless when their interests are threatened. But then really, so can the entire team coward.
    Brook seems to be halfway between coward and big damn heroes moment. He does pussy out a little, but he can also deliver some serious whupass without any serious provocation.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brook definately seems more on the coward side of things

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Having gotten further into thriller bark arc, I retract my previous statements. Team coward has shown their fangs now that they know what they're dealing with.

Well, everyone except Nami that is, but you know..

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What I can't figure out is why they sent in the three weakest members of their crew in without backup in the first place.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Strawhats don't seem to be very strong in the planning ahead deptmartment

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As I've seen it in the anime, it was a convenient plot device of an accident while they were trying out the mini-merry.

This arc, so far, is only slightly more entertaining than the previous arc (bounty hunter family)

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Strawhats don't seem to be very strong in the planning ahead deptmartment

Except Sanji.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As I've seen it in the anime, it was a convenient plot device of an accident while they were trying out the mini-merry.

This arc, so far, is only slightly more entertaining than the previous arc (bounty hunter family)

Which was filler.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The rest of the spoiler pics are up and this chapter looks awesome
    Phoenix Marco could have been predicted from the last chapter but Lava Punch (easily deflected) and Oz Jr.? GG.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It moved a hell of a lot faster in the manga.

During the anime it started to seriously drag out.

EDIT:
    risumon wrote: »

I need to give that a try again. Last time I read it there was a ton of just shit scans and it wasn't complete. But overall I wasn't too impressed with the series. I just read up to current on Fairy Tail and it left me with the same feeling RM did. I am not actually sure what is missing it just feels like something is lacking.

Plus the art style seems hella familiar to Oda's to me. The start of Fairy Tail made me think I was following Luffy and Nami around in some spin-off adventure.

The problem I had with Rave Master (and especially Fairytail) is that the fights almost have no point to it. There's no real decent set-up, it's just fight after fight after fight.

It kinda has the opposite problem of Bleach; instead of dragging things out to a crawl, the author just steamrolls through one arc after another, with no real relation to the one before it. It feels very monster-of-the-week, and it doesn't work for me at all.

Despite all of this, I still think toppa blaster chick had some rude titties.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    eeeevvvvverrrrryyyyything drags in the anime.

NotYou on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NotYou wrote: »

Yeah, it's either that or having lots of filler.

Which would really be better in the long run. You can easily ignore filler when there's lots of it in its own separate arc and just come back to it when the filler ends, but it's hard to ignore the many techniques used to stall for time.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »

Yeah, it's either that or having lots of filler.

Which would really be better in the long run. You can easily ignore filler when there's lots of it in its own separate arc and just come back to it when the filler ends, but it's hard to ignore the many techniques used to stall for time.

Well in the magical world where I was in charge, I'd just release in seasons like tv shows do. Give em more time to polish the art too.

NotYou on
This discussion has been closed.