Options

[One Piece] 550+ chapters, 0 regrets

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NotYou wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    eeeevvvvverrrrryyyyything drags in the anime.

Yeah, it's either that or having lots of filler.

Which would really be better in the long run. You can easily ignore filler when there's lots of it in its own separate arc and just come back to it when the filler ends, but it's hard to ignore the many techniques used to stall for time.

Well in the magical world where I was in charge, I'd just release in seasons like tv shows do. Give em more time to polish the art too.

That would make everything better honestly.

Still, I like the occasional odd filler episode every now and then. The G8 arc was a fun diversion, and the desert trek filler in Arabasta was enjoyable, AND added to the overall scope of things.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    eeeevvvvverrrrryyyyything drags in the anime.

Yeah, it's either that or having lots of filler.

Which would really be better in the long run. You can easily ignore filler when there's lots of it in its own separate arc and just come back to it when the filler ends, but it's hard to ignore the many techniques used to stall for time.

Well in the magical world where I was in charge, I'd just release in seasons like tv shows do. Give em more time to polish the art too.

It would be pretty nice if that were the case!

I imagine part of the problem comes from the fact that there's merchandise and such to sell and keeping new content on the air helps with that. And not to mention that the faster they put out episodes, the faster they put out their major source of revenue, the dvds, out.

(Come to think of it, I can't think of any Jump series that tried a seasonal format with their anime adaption)

Slicer on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    risumon wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    You know what was another pretty good, well thought out shonen? RAVE Master. Had the same worldbuilding elements as One Piece, some genius plot twists, and some half-decent romance/fanservice to boot. And it managed to actually end nice and properly after 35ish volumes rather than dragging on. And like One Piece, it got sorta screwed over in the US. Not as badly, but there was a feeling of the dubbing and publishing companies not really liking the anime (which is, as usual, nowhere near the manga in quality) or marketing the manga. But then, the anime got screwed in japan as well, so yeah.

I need to give that a try again. Last time I read it there was a ton of just shit scans and it wasn't complete. But overall I wasn't too impressed with the series. I just read up to current on Fairy Tail and it left me with the same feeling RM did. I am not actually sure what is missing it just feels like something is lacking.

Plus the art style seems hella familiar to Oda's to me. The start of Fairy Tail made me think I was following Luffy and Nami around in some spin-off adventure.

The problem I had with Rave Master (and especially Fairytail) is that the fights almost have no point to it. There's no real decent set-up, it's just fight after fight after fight.

It kinda has the opposite problem of Bleach; instead of dragging things out to a crawl, the author just steamrolls through one arc after another, with no real relation to the one before it. It feels very monster-of-the-week, and it doesn't work for me at all.

Despite all of this, I still think toppa blaster chick had some rude titties.
    Meh, it's not on One Piece's level, but at least it has consistency to it, and there is sense to the arcs if you know where you're looking. And the last half is especially more consistent. But yeah, the train of thought style can be disorienting in a few points because of how busy the plot gets. I still enjoyed it for at least having a plot and characters who had some emotional value, plus some art that got better over time (the first volume to the thirtieth has an absolutely staggering difference). And the few twists it had were interesting.
    And yes, the fanservice in that manga is rude titties incarnate.

In other news, I got to Impel Down. I love how Oda is actually using the cover art stories in a Chekov's Gun effect. Perhaps
    CP9 will return as some sort of pirate crew or something in a few chapters?

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Rave Master and Fairy Tail are by the same artist/author, yes?

I know Rave Master came first, but what throws me off is just how similar Fairy Tail looks to one piece in the first few chapters, while in Rave Master it looks nothing like it.

Did the guy intern for Oda in-between series or something? That would seem like a step backwards for an artist with a finished series if you ask me.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I haven't read Fairytail yet, oddly enough. But from the few pictures I have seen, it does look partway between Rave and One Piece, mostly in the inking and page layout. It's like Hiro Mashima gave Eiichiro Oda the character designs from Rave and said "go wild". But then, the two have always looked sorta similar in their inking style, so yeah. And Rave and One Piece started around the same time, so it's kinda an odd question of whether it's ripping off or just coincidence. One Piece has always had incredibly distinctive character designs, though, and neither of Mashima's series really touch that at all.

Speaking of which, what style does Oda base his character design on? It's pretty funky, and has a ton of odd quirks like Robin's nose, feminine proportion (and the way guys are stacked too), and just odd ways of making the lines on things. It's really unusual, and really unique.

EDIT: An article on the OP v FT art style debate: http://activeanime.com/delreyblog/?p=129
    Seems they just both took coincidental turns in the direction of Akira Toriyama and made it big.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EDIT: Never mind!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rave Master and Fairy Tail are by the same artist/author, yes?

I know Rave Master came first, but what throws me off is just how similar Fairy Tail looks to one piece in the first few chapters, while in Rave Master it looks nothing like it.

Did the guy intern for Oda in-between series or something? That would seem like a step backwards for an artist with a finished series if you ask me.

Apparently he was an assistant for Oda.

Fairy Tale does have a lot more in common with One Piece in terms of setting and mood. Rave Master was definitely darker in tone and the world was just weird not set up for endless battles like the Pirates or Wizards i the other two.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I must be one of the only people that liked Thriller Bark. The thing I watched Enies Lobby in the anime (I'm slowly reading the manga for the stuff I saw in the anime first) and seemed to drag especially towards the end. I thought Thriller Bark was quicker paced actually.

Also IMO Thiller Bark has the best Sogeking in the series.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nobody here hates Thriller Bark, it just had the unfortunate downfall of following up on Enies Lobby, kinda like how Majora's Mask had to follow up Ocarina of Time.

That's suicide to counter.

I'd imagine that TB would have been a lot more popular if it took place pre-Enies Lobby. Oda had the whole idea for the arc set up back when he made the short Laboon arc, but since Oda's writing has gotten so much stronger since then, it felt like a step backwards, even though he threw a lot of relevent world events into that story.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I didn't mind Thriller Bark, it just felt like it came along at an awkward point otherwise surrounded by intense and emotional action-packed world government political adventure. But as a generic manga arc where not much happens to pad the story a little, but gives an entertaining adventure, it works.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hated Thriller Bark!

It was just...uninteresting, and dragged on.

It was one of the few times I stopped reading, so I could just let the chapters build up so I could just get past it all in one go.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I loved Thriller Bark!

It was a great breath of fresh air after all the SERIOUS BUSINESS of Ennies Lobby. It was just an adventure on an island, not connected to some big conspiracy or anything.

In the manga, anyway, in the anime it was painfully slow, and they totally fucked up the color palette.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I didn't mind Thriller Bark, it just felt like it came along at an awkward point otherwise surrounded by intense and emotional action-packed world government political adventure. But as a generic manga arc where not much happens to pad the story a little, but gives an entertaining adventure, it works.

Something that Thriller Bark did right was the surprise twist ending.
    Good lord Kuma. That guy is nightmare fuel.

Also Zoro proved to be the fucking man because of this, and it spoke volumes about his character.

I feel that it was a necessary arc, because it set up another power player in the One Piece world, even though he's my least favorite Shichibukai. I feel that Oda realized the mistakes he made with this arc, and fixed it when he introduced the final Shichibukai by making her arc quick, entertaining, and smoothly transitioning the plot.

Even though Thriller Bark wasn't my favorite of arcs, it always kept me entertained on a weekly basis during it's releases, and i'd consider that arc better than a great majority of other shounen mangas on their best days. This series never really has a bad arc per se; they're either enjoyable or out-of-the-park Grand Slams, and ever since Enies Lobby we've been getting more of the latter.

The only arc that I had trouble keeping up with was Skypeia, and that was solely because I trucked through that entire arc in one go. I guess that's why I found the Davy Back Fights so hilarious, because after all of that doom and gloom with Enel ruining everyone's shit, it was nice to read something on the lighter side of things, with a good dash of retarded thrown in.

I dunno, i'm not really in a rush to find out things in this series; I like taking the scenic route in the One Piece world, because it's so damn interesting.

EDIT: Hurr, page 99. Guess I better start working on a smaller OP.

Godfather on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It took me a long time to really get into Thriller Bark. I didn't really fully begin to enjoy the arc until all the mysteries and stuff were found out, roughly about the time the fighting starts.

I think I might have also hated most of the enemies in the arc.
    Moria is easily my most hated Shikibukai/"arc main baddie."

Crocodile is a badass manipulating motherfucker
    Eneru is a god with zappy powers and a flying Mario Bros. 3 ship
    Lucci kind of frightens me

Moria...hides behind shadows, looks weird as fuck and has an annoying laugh.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Even though Thriller Bark wasn't my favorite of arcs, it always kept me entertained on a weekly basis during it's releases, and i'd consider that arc better than a great majority of other shounen mangas on their best days. This series never really has a bad arc per se; they're either enjoyable or out-of-the-park Grand Slams, and ever since Enies Lobby we've been getting more of the latter.
    This is truth right here. The soul of One Piece relies on this fact. Although this series has been sailing on for twelve years, we've really hit the true stride ever since
    Water 7 began to kick things off with the government. And ever since, the scale of shit going down has increased pretty radically. Hell, I just finally caught up with issue 553, and the whole fucking thing was two page spreads. And I'll bet we still have at least twenty five volumes left to go with all the plot threads Oda's weaving into the fabric.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    It took me a long time to really get into Thriller Bark. I didn't really fully begin to enjoy the arc until all the mysteries and stuff were found out, roughly about the time the fighting starts.

I think Moria would have been a lot better received if:

1) They didn't already reveal Blackbeard's ability. The Shadow fruit seems like a watered-down Darkness fruit.

2) They kept his hair black and not pink. Pink! Actually his whole ensemble was a bit off. The gothic suit attire vest was alright, but then he's wearing 70's pants and clown shoes with pilgrim buckles. Super corny.

3) THE VOICE ACTOR CHOICE. My God, what were they thinking. This guy's fifteen fucking feet tall and he's got the voice of a sickly grandpa who's balls have turned to dust. It doesn't help that his cronies have some atrocious laughs too (Perona can shove it!).

Kuma has a wierd body shape, but he's huge, has black Jesus curls and carries a freaking Bible. Intimidating would be an understatement.

Doflamingo looks like a more radical version of Elton John, sans the gay effect. Mad respect here.

Crocodile is, well, Crocodile. He's the silver-spoon standard of what a Shichibukai should be.

Mihawk is the last shred of a pimp Frenchman left in this world.

Jimbei's a karate whale-shark fishman with this japanese theme going on. It's a safe (but sturdy) enough theme to go by.

Hancock's a frigid ice-queen bitch with a body that apparently makes both sexes crazy. She's gets a free ride from the fan-base because she's got big tits. And a snake theme I guess, but nobody really cares about that.

And then Moria's just kinda there. Hrm.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

1) They didn't already reveal Blackbeard's ability. The Shadow fruit seems like a watered-down Darkness fruit.

2) They kept his hair black and not pink. Pink! Actually his whole ensemble was a bit off. The gothic suit attire vest was alright, but then he's wearing 70's pants and clown shoes with pilgrim buckles. Super corny.

3) THE VOICE ACTOR CHOICE. My God, what were they thinking. This guy's fifteen fucking feet tall and he's got the voice of a sickly grandpa who's balls have turned to dust. It doesn't help that his cronies have some atrocious laughs too (Perona can shove it!).

Kuma has a wierd body shape, but he's huge, has black Jesus curls and carries a freaking Bible. Intimidating would be an understatement.

Doflamingo looks like a more radical version of Elton John, sans the gay effect. Mad respect here.

Crocodile is, well, Crocodile. He's the silver-spoon standard of what a Shichibukai should be.

Jimbei's a karate whale-shark fishman with this japanese theme going on. It's a safe (but sturdy) enough theme to go by.

Hancock's a frigid ice-queen bitch with a body that apparently makes both sexes crazy. She's gets a free ride from the fan-base because she's got big tits. And a snake theme I guess, but nobody really cares about that.

I think the big problem with Moria was a simple lack of characterization.

He was just evil and mean. Enel was crazy and arrogant, Crocodile was manipulative, Lucci was a stone-cold killer but the other CP9 people more than made up for it (plus he dresses like Slash and has a pet pigeon).

By comparison, Moria is just a sort of traditional mustache-twirling villain with no redeeming qualities and no real backstory. Absalom and Perona were more interesting, but they couldn't carry the arc.

Luckily, Oz was really cool/funny and sort of made up for it.

Also: NIGHTMARE LUFFY

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

I think the big problem with Moria was a simple lack of characterization.

He was just evil and mean. Enel was crazy and arrogant, Crocodile was manipulative, Lucci was a stone-cold killer but the other CP9 people more than made up for it (plus he dresses like Slash and has a pet pigeon).

By comparison, Moria is just a sort of traditional mustache-twirling villain with no redeeming qualities and no real backstory. Absalom and Perona were more interesting, but they couldn't carry the arc.

Luckily, Oz was really cool/funny and sort of made up for it.

Also: NIGHTMARE LUFFY
    Moria's gimmick was a strong emphasis on obtaining strong, obedient servants. Usually pirate captains are of an "every-man-for-themselves" philosophy, with a backlog of easily disposable cronies and a few choice upper-tiers on their crew. Moria learned that this kind of shit doesn't fly in the New World, so after he got crushed by one of the Yonkou he decided to beef up his artillery; smarter, not harder.

It's actually makes a lot of sense, but Moria just wasn't as interesting of a person for the reader to follow through with it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thriller bark:
    Moria himself was only okay; it was the gradual revelation of his scheme, and how the zombies and everything worked, that made it cool for me.

Also, I cracked up the hardest of any time watching the OP anime watching the first time Luffy saw a zombie, when he tried to stuff it back into its grave. Dunno why that was just hilarious to me, I kept rewatching it.

EDIT: Ha found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOU1-ZDIRQ

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked Moria. The slacker shiboukai.

Also if i had to rank signature laughs(the true test of a One piece villian) his is up there with Arlong's and Crocodile's.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    554 is out.
    Akainu is hellza powerful, no way it's not a Logia, he turned his arm into lava, also he looks familiar as hell, he has to be based on someone famous. Marco is an awesome fire chicken. Oz II is big.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy fuck this battle is epic.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Apparently all three admirals have a color theme, are modeled after a Japanese actor, and are logias.

edit: New chapter was shorter than usual, but it is composed entirely of two-page spreads.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All three Admirals' codenames are based off the Momotaru legends.

Also, I was right - the Shichibukai are just standing there and shooting the breeze.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wahahahahah! What an ironic twist on how we've been talking about Thriller Bark all this time, and then in the latest chapter
    Oz's descendant shows up outta nowhere from Whitebeard's crew! God I love this series.

Also the Pheonix fruit is crazy. Way to step it up Zoan class.

Godfather on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woah. You know, these battle scenes aren't quite as over-the-top epic as Berserk, but there's so much crazy stuff going on, I honestly don't have the time to care.

I mean, there was somebody who pulled a giant hammer out of a tiny pocket on his skin. He has several of these pockets.

ODA JUST INTRODUCED THE POCKET POCKET MAN.

Oh, and there's a spider dude too.

Awesome stuff.

As for the third admiral:
    Well, it would be obvious to assume he's another Logia user, this time made from Magma. Given that he's in a trio and all, that would make sense. But he hasn't actually transformed into magma himself, he could "simply" have created magma from his skin, similar to Mr. 3.

And concerning Moria:
    I'm probably one of these strange people who actually like that guy. He's my favorite, followed by Don Flamingo and Crocodile. He's got a cool power that has thousands of possible uses and I really like his unusual design, and his backstory just reeks of epic battles ahead. I never watched the anime, so maybe that saved the character for me. :P
    On the whole, I'd say Moria is a great character, but the story arc introducing him was rather disappointing. It had all the elements of another epic chapter, but it just didn't click. Also, he was only defeated due to a blatant deus ex machina. Meh. I'd love to see that guy get into another fight, this time for real...

Wingo on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wahahahahah! What an ironic twist on how we've been talking about Thriller Bark all this time, and then in the latest chapter
    Oz's descendant shows up outta nowhere from Whitebeard's crew! God I love this series.

Also the Pheonix fruit is crazy. Way to step it up Zoan class.

I want a unicorn fruit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Phoenix Phoenix fruit is soooo awesome...Want that so bad

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    According to the scanlation I found, Oz's actual romanization is supposed to be.... 'Oars'?

Um...
    Edit: Female giant, giant with a cannon for a hand, spider zoan, what appears to be a dalmatian/greyhound zoan...

Man, Oda's really going all out with this one.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The New World is going to be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    According to the scanlation I found, Oz's actual romanization is supposed to be.... 'Oars'?

Um...
    Edit: Female giant, giant with a cannon for a hand, spider zoan, what appears to be a dalmatian/greyhound zoan...

Where do you see the
    Dalmatian? All I see is Garp from behind with his silly hat

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Um...

Where do you see the
    Dalmatian? All I see is Garp from behind with his silly hat

Chapter 554, Pg 14-15 - can see the guy from the back.

Chapter 553, Pg 10-11- can see the guy from the front.

Way too tall to be Garp, Garp hasn't worn the mask since he we were told he Luffy's grandpa, and we can see his hands are spotted the same as his face.

Also, I finally figured out why I thought Marco looked off in Chapter 553 - part of his face had been blown off. We can see him regenerating in Chapter 554.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The funniest thing to do in all of this is to go back and read the early ones where everyone considers it to be SUCH A HUGE DEAL that Luffy has a Devil's Fruit.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The funniest thing to do in all of this is to go back and read the early ones where everyone considers it to be SUCH A HUGE DEAL that Luffy has a Devil's Fruit.

It is a huge deal, though. These are not normal people we're dealing with. They represent the three most powerful factions of the world, all gathered in one place and having a battle royale that could spark a war to end all wars.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well they were in the East blue, the weakest of all the seas. So it makes more sense!

Camui on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright, Microsoft Word isn't working for me anymore, and I have to go run around the city for a bit, but i'll have a decent OP done when I get back. It won't be nearly as long as the first one, but it'll be fun, so bear with me.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    People were freaking out about fighting Devil Fruit users even in Shabondy. The mooks are always going to get terrified when they're up against someone with superpowers.

Rust on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Having finally finished thriller bark, I have few complaints. The last 10-15 episodes help to redeem the whole arc, whereas the first 10-15 seemed like a draggy drag dragfest of filler-quality mush.

Of course, all the parts about Brooke were epic, and "the tyrant" made me shit bricks, but yeah, now that I've gotten it all in..
    LABOOOOON!

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well done Kasanagi.

Everything past TB is going to rock your face off so hard.

I suggest burning through it via manga for the time being so you can catch up to the rest of us poor, weekly-waiting bastards.

Godfather on
This discussion has been closed.