Options

[One Piece] 550+ chapters, 0 regrets

• Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The funniest thing to do in all of this is to go back and read the early ones where everyone considers it to be SUCH A HUGE DEAL that Luffy has a Devil's Fruit.

Arlong straight up says that Luffy is basically nothing compared to the others on the Grand Line, though.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's kind of funny how you barely see anybody with a Devil Fruit in East Blue. Luffy, Buggy, Alvida, and Smoker are the only ones I can remember that had fruit powers, and I don't know if Smoker is even from East Blue.

Then when you get into the Grand Line, you're almost a shmuck if you don't have one. Whereas everyone that was picked up in East Blue were normies, almost every crew member from the Grand Line has a fruit power, and people with fruit powers pop up all over the place. The Sabaody Archipelago is probably the most overwhelming instance of fruit users so far.

(Not that it doesn't make sense, seeing as how the Grand Line will murder you if you don't have one)

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Devil fruits don't seem that rare, but on the other hand, we are talking about millions, and millions of people in the One Piece world, and far less than 1% have devil fruits.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The fact the rest of the crew (East Blue crew+ Franky) can hang with all these superpowered freaks makes them even more badass.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Devil fruits still seem reasonably rare to me.

They're almost exclusively used by captains, even in the Grand Line (Killer and Bepo didn't have devil fruit). It's just that the current battle involves a lot of captains and other high-ranking people.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NeoToma wrote: »
    The fact the rest of the crew (East Blue crew+ Franky) can hang with all these superpowered freaks makes them even more badass.

Not to mention Chopper, who has a Devil Fruit power, is one of the weakest members of the crew, especially compared to Zoro and Sanji.
    He's worth a whopping 50 beli!!

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reading ahead, a question/theory about Sabaody Archipelago fight:
    Does anybody wonder just who's side Kuma is on? After all, the islands the Straw Hats were sent to appear to be a benefit for their personal growth, the exception, of course, being Sanji.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Does anybody wonder just who's side Kuma is on? After all, the islands the Straw Hats were sent to appear to be a benefit for their personal growth, the exception, of course, being Sanji.

No one knows except him and Rayleigh.

Lep on
  • Options
    MalickMalick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How many episodes after the end of the Alabaster arc does it go until something starts happening again. I just finished the three episodes about the old man, and I am getting tired of the filler.

Malick on
    Welkin7.jpg
    PSN = malickai XBL = gdragonstar Pokemon SS = 3095 7347 2659 Pokemon White = 5028 4446 2386
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Malick wrote: »
    How many episodes after the end of the Alabaster arc does it go until something starts happening again. I just finished the three episodes about the old man, and I am getting tired of the filler.

144 is the next non-filler episode. I would recommend skipping ahead, there's another filler arc after that one.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SachielSachiel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Speculation:
    You can bet Sanji is going to learn the Okama Kenpo (Bon Clay's fighting style).

Sachiel on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sachiel wrote: »

Speculation:
    You can bet Sanji is going to learn the Okama Kenpo (Bon Clay's fighting style).
    That makes sens as it seems to mostly use kicking moves. However, besides that, that running should make his legs much stronger. What about Chopper? I assume he can learn some stuff about medicine by helping the cavemen.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Speculation:
    That makes sens as it seems to mostly use kicking moves. However, besides that, that running should make his legs much stronger. What about Chopper? I assume he can learn some stuff about medicine by helping the cavemen.
    Chopper will probably become whatever an "Awakened Zoan" is, what people were mentioning earlier. I expect that'll give him a generic power/speed boost, control over his giant form, and probably a new form or two.

Cantide on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New Chapter:
    Hopefully the next chapter will have less random fighting. I do love it (since it's not a giant battle of duels) but I want to see characters I already know kick ass. Come on Garp and Smoker!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't get me wrong, these chapters are awesome, but I really want to know what is going on with the rest of the crew. The one shots at the beginning are only making it worse. Fat Usopp anyone?

Hopefully the anime will get to them sooner then later.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, these chapters are awesome, but I really want to know what is going on with the rest of the crew. The one shots at the beginning are only making it worse. Fat Usopp anyone?

Hopefully the anime will get to them sooner then later.

yea, the anime is gonna fill in the gaps, but I wonder when if it's before or after the ID arc.

Since they are showing scenes of ID in the opening credits I'm guessing it's after.

or they do smack dab in the middle where
    Luffy is in the cave recovering from Magellan's poison.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Speculation:
    Or maybe he'll get over his inability to fight women.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In regards to all the devilfruit users it is probably worth pointing out that on Whitebeard's crew
    What happened to Ace is probably fairly common. The stronger pirates (essentially each batch of supernovas) make it to the new world, then the stronger members of the crew are recruited by the Yonkou. So you end up getting the best of the best roaming around. It explains just why there are so many powerful characters facing off at the moment.

Kelor on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where you did see this pocket pocket man? In the latest issue?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    tacos for alltacos for all Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where you did see this pocket pocket man? In the latest issue?

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/554/12-13/

In the middle panels, the guy pulls out that giant hammer and has another pocket next to it so its safe to assume he can pull stuff from that one as well.

I actually agree with Kelor. I never really saw it that way before but it would make sense especially looking back when the newly introduced Rockstar joined Shanks. Assumptions of course. Unless I missed something about Rockstars background information but it could fit in that he too was an upcoming rookie that was recruited by Shanks and left behind his crew or simply merged it.

tacos for all on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    According to the Ace recruitment flashback his crew also ended up hitching a ride on Whitebeard's crew.

So you've got the tough captains and the cannon fodder as well. Best of both worlds.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One thing that i think really thinks stands out in One piece is the music. It's the rich, and layered. Makes One Piece feel more like a grand story and less like of a series of boss fights and misadventures.

Examples
    :30-1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ca6GnJOR2k&NR=1

Just listen to those strings!

NeoToma on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well done Kasanagi.

Everything past TB is going to rock your face off so hard.

I suggest burning through it via manga for the time being so you can catch up to the rest of us poor, weekly-waiting bastards.

Quoting for god damned truth right here. I just got through the Samalamadingdong archipelago arc (up to episode 405).
    WHAT..
    THE..
    FUCK?!?!

Seriously, I've gone through the anime (and soon the manga) with the recurring mindset of "there's later chapters/episodes, so the strawhats clearly make it through this." but the archipelago arc made me forget that completely. I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One thing that i think really thinks stands out in One piece is the music. It's the rich, and layered. Makes One Piece feel more like a grand story and less like of a series of boss fights and misadventures.
    Examples
    :30-1:20
    My favourite song of the entire series, that first half. <3<3

Glal on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ca6GnJOR2k&NR=1

Just listen to those strings!

I like to call the first half of that song God's Judgement

Because every time I hear it, I always think of that scene

where this guy

QzHhB.png

gets hit by THIS

LMYGO.png

right the fuck outta nowhere.

That music made it feel like we were all fucked.

Godfather on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finally caught up to the rest of you spoiler-postin bufoons.
    Jesus christ this arc is epic. Pretty much every remotely powerful player in the pirate/marine world is here, save for the other 3 big new world pirate guys (shanks being one of them I think). It really does seem like Luffy is going to be a drop in the bucket as far as the combat firepower each side is bringing to bear. My only concern is that, like the Bleach "soul society" arc, this arc will be such a huge event that nothing that follows it can match up.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Jesus christ this arc is epic. Pretty much every remotely powerful player in the pirate/marine world is here, save for the other 3 big new world pirate guys (shanks being one of them I think). It really does seem like Luffy is going to be a drop in the bucket as far as the combat firepower each side is bringing to bear. My only concern is that, like the Bleach "soul society" arc, this arc will be such a huge event that nothing that follows it can match up.

I was concerned about that after Eneis Lobby, and then we got well....everything since Thriller Bark.

I'm actually not concerned.
    Stuff yet to be covered: The other three emperors. The revolutionaries. What's left of Whitebeard's Crew/the WG after this, but likely with a great deal more anarchy the world over. Raftel itself.

It'll probably take some setting up in the process, but we've got a fair bit to go.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It probably won't get this epic again for a long time, but that's because this is like the conclusion to the first half of the story. Of course, for all we know every arc after this could get more and more epic, if that's even possible.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I could have sworn I read awhile ago that the halfway point has been passed. Like, around Skypiea or so.

Slicer on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe. I just figured that the halfway point of the grand line equaled the halfway point of the story.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »

Oda on his off days is a better writer than Tite could ever dream to be.

We may not be getting something this epic for awhile, but it's still guaranteed to be an exciting ride along the way.

Not even Soul Society will be as good as half of the story arcs in One Piece.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    I could have sworn I read awhile ago that the halfway point has been passed. Like, around Skypiea or so.

We're almost assuredly going to break 1000 chapters. I don't remember the interview which designated the halfway point, but we're kinda in the middle of the area which is roughly halfway right now.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »

We're almost assuredly going to break 1000 chapters. I don't remember the interview which designated the halfway point, but we're kinda in the middle of the area which is roughly halfway right now.

Fuck

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I remember reading that after Oda finishes the Piece he'd like to work on a robot manga. Picture hundreds of battle franky's and you'd get the idea.

Then he was going to do a series of short story comics for kicks.

Godfather on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nah, he needs to make a Sogeking spinoff, in a film Noir style. That would be 1000x better than a gundam Battlefranky anime.

Camui on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Camui wrote: »
    Nah, he needs to make a Sogeking spinoff, in a film Noir style. That would be 1000x better than a gundam Battlefranky anime.

Sogeking would make a great Rorscach.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So, for that breakdown of popularity by ages Godfather posted earlier, I found a copy of the Womens' list, too.
    Women:
    10-20

1. Kimi ni Todoke

2. Kuroshitsuji

3. D.Gray-Man

4. Hitman Reborn

5. Ouran High Host Club

6. Koukou Debut

7. Gintama

8. Boku no Hatsukoi

9. BLEACH

10. NANA

20-30

1. NANA

2. Kimi ni Todoke

3. ONE PIECE

4. Nodame Cantabile

5. Ouran High Host Club

6. Kuroshitsuji

7. Full Metal Alchemist

8. Sei Onii-chan

9. xxxHOLIC

10. Skip Beat!

30-40

1. NANA

2. Nodame Cantabile

3. ONE PIECE

4. Glass no Kamen

5. Full Metal Alchemist

6. NARUTO

7. Kuroshitsuji

8. Sei Onii-chan

9. Skip Beat!

10. Detective Conan

40-50

1. Nodame Cantabile

2. Glass no Kamen

3. NARUTO

4. ONE PIECE

5. BLEACH

6. Hitman Reborn

7. Kuroshitsuji

8. Full Metal Alchemist

9. Detective Conan

10. NANA

Never gets higher than number 3, but hey...not bad.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm actually a bit terrified that fourty through fifty year-olds have Naruto on third place.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah it is a bit odd that the 40-50 women bracket have so many shonen jump titles there!

Talk about misplaced marketing!

Slicer on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not surprised at NANA being all over the place. A pretty damn fine manga, and definitely more for the vaginal among us (though a guy can stomach it without losing his testes, unlike some other womens' manga).

EDIT: You know, I don't normally watch the One Piece anime, but I might just go for it once this arc gets animated.

Also, if there are any other crucial "holy shit must watch" moments in the anime adaptation, do tell.

Mortal Sky on
This discussion has been closed.