As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] The NHL is fixed. Refs and commentators determine games.

redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, I heard the other thread was closed. Let's continue talking hockey.

bYf6vNQ.png
Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
[3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
redfield85 on

• TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hockey!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hahahhaha Gaborik to the Rangers. Proof again the Rangers GM Sather is insane. 5 years! lol why not buy some lotto tickets too and see how well they pay off.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Marian Hossa is going to be 42 years old when his contract expires.

42!

Burtletoy on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antropov to Atlanta. Meh!

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Marian Hossa is going to be 42 years old when his contract expires.

42!

Hossa is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Jragghen on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not sure why you're surprised. Chicago is self-consciously trying to emulate the Wings, and that's a slightly larger version of the Franzen contract in particular.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know, the pessimist in me cant help but shake the feeling that this Red Wing team is much like the 2004/05 Pistons. They won it all, then went to 7 games and lost the next year. For some reason, I can see the Wings slowly start to drift further and further away from the Cup over the next few years.

Hopefully I am just being crazy.

quovadis13 on
    edited July 2009
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    You know, the pessimist in me cant help but shake the feeling that this Red Wing team is much like the 2004/05 Pistons. They won it all, then went to 7 games and lost the next year. For some reason, I can see the Wings slowly start to drift further and further away from the Cup over the next few years.

Hopefully I am just being crazy.

They were also unbelievably arrogant and felt like they could turn it off and on at will and win the Cup anyway, much like those Pistons. I've been making that comparison since January. It concerns me.

Adrian Aucoin to Phoenix.

enlightenedbum on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the thing about hossa is that his contract is so front loaded that even if the hawks buy him out with 2 years left, they'll only end up being on the hook for like, 500k of cap space for those last 2 years, instead of 5 million.

That's why you see all these hugely front loaded contracts right now.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited July 2009
    It also allows the player to be payed what he is worth right now while keeping the actual cap hit lower since the hit is the average over the length of the contract.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hahahhaha Gaborik to the Rangers. Proof again the Rangers GM Sather is insane. 5 years! lol why not buy some lotto tickets too and see how well they pay off.

Finally free up 7 mil by dumping Gomez and what does Sather do? Immediately spend MORE money on a guy who's injury prone. And let Colton Orr go to pick up Donald Brashear. And lose Sjostrom for 6 bucks and a happy meal to the Flames. Ugh..

Edit: Oh and lost Antropov too, but seeing as Atlanta is paying 4 mil for him, I don't feel as bad.

Rei on
    edited July 2009
    Calgary Herald asks Darryl Sutter if the Flames still need an enforcer. His answer: "I'm the enforcer." That's great stuff.

Among the still-unsigned: Tanguay, Zubov, Kovalev, Koivu, Beauchemin, Scuderi, Mara, Sundin, Morris, Comrie, LaRose, Morrisson, Schnieder, Satan, Peca, Leopold, Bergeron, Boynton, Afinogenov, Bertuzzi, Boucher, Bonk and Marchant.

Scuds isn't expected to make a deal today, either. Still holding out crazy hope for him in a Pens jersey.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the thing about hossa is that his contract is so front loaded that even if the hawks buy him out with 2 years left, they'll only end up being on the hook for like, 500k of cap space for those last 2 years, instead of 5 million.

That part is fine, the problem is that like half the team is under 25 and due for huge raises in the next two years.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2009
    Karlis Skrastins (who?) signed with the Stars [tiny](who?)[/tiny]

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

That part is fine, the problem is that like half the team is under 25 and due for huge raises in the next two years.

Oh I know. I think signing him was stupid, personally. there is no way they'll be able to keep Toews, sharp, kane, versteeg, and all the rest now. I think that signing John Madden to a 1 year deal clearly signals that they're going for it this year because they know the window will close soon when they wont' be able to fit everyone in.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited July 2009
    I guess they hope they can unload Campbell on some poor sucker (Sather!).

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2009
    The Kings are offering above 3mil per year for a year long term Scuderi contract.

Fuck.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2009
    Calgary Herald asks Darryl Sutter if the Flames still need an enforcer. His answer: "I'm the enforcer." That's great stuff.

Sutter is the best GM ever <3

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fucking Rangers

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm still trying to figure out why the Oilers still want Drama Heatly. His playing ability aside, I don't see how his personality would fit in with Edmonton and their current coaching staff.

Unless that's Quinn's plan, to break him into submission...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited July 2009
    Rei wrote: »

Finally free up 7 mil by dumping Gomez and what does Sather do? Immediately spend MORE money on a guy who's injury prone. And let Colton Orr go to pick up Donald Brashear. And lose Sjostrom for 6 bucks and a happy meal to the Flames. Ugh..

Edit: Oh and lost Antropov too, but seeing as Atlanta is paying 4 mil for him, I don't feel as bad.

don't worry, Sather will find a way to get rid of Callahan, lundqvist, and Avery too just to make your team utterly useless. I heard he is working on a way to clone Wade Redden and sign all his copies to 8 mil a year deals

as a rangers hater I think this will be a very funny season. I'll have to pull up the upcoming schedule. it will only take one game against the Devils and Flyers to end Gaborik's season.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited July 2009
    You guys don't seriously expect Hossa to play 12 years? Really, its a 8-10 year deal with a 2-4 year buyout.

Edit: Why are people still paying Brashear millions of dollars? Guy was crap when he left Vancouver, and that was like seven years ago!

Corvus on
    edited July 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Edit: Why are people still paying Brashear millions of dollars? Guy was crap when he left Vancouver, and that was like seven years ago!

because he put up a killer 4 points last year. they had to get a near equal replacement for Orr who left with his amazing 5 points last year. Or because Sather is a lunkhead who thinks you still need an enforcer on the team in this new NHL. Why not just build some kind of penalty machine that has one of those cartoon boxing gloves on a giant spring, it would be just as effective.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

because he put up a killer 4 points last year. they had to get a near equal replacement for Orr who left with his amazing 5 points last year. Or because Sather is a lunkhead who thinks you still need an enforcer on the team in this new NHL. Why not just build some kind of penalty machine that has one of those cartoon boxing gloves on a giant spring, it would be just as effective.

A giant Rock 'em, Sock 'em robot on skates perhaps? Probably would still get more points than Brashear.

Rei on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Habs got Scott Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta.... Gomez for wayyyyy to much money for a "maybe" player....

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    damm double posts

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish wish wish the Canucks had grabbed Knuble.. 2.8mill is a steal for him

Also wanted them to push for Gionta. I'm glad they didn't get Gaborick for the price he went for.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited July 2009
    You guys don't seriously expect Hossa to play 12 years? Really, its a 8-10 year deal with a 2-4 year buyout.

That's why I keep pointing out that he'll be 42(!) when his contract expires.

I'll eat my cock if Hossa is still in the NHL in 12 years.

Burtletoy on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Somebody should ask Hossa if he thinks that Chicago has the best chance of winning the cup next year.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited July 2009

he probably won't be, but the last 4 years of the contract will be a very cheap buy-out. we're talking 500k against the cap if they choose to buy him out at any point in the last 4 years of his contract. they could have signed him for 10 years, and not had that kind of cushion. the extra 2-3 years was probably Chicago asking for it, for that cushion.

wunderbar on
    edited July 2009
    The Kings are offering above 3mil per year for a year long term Scuderi contract.

Fuck.

Looks like its official now, Kings have signed Scuderi

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Crossing my fingers for Gustavsson...

tofu on
    edited July 2009

The point of the long term isn't to actually keep the player that length of time. It's to reduce the cap hit. Cap hit is the average salary over the length of the contract. It's more like a 8 year contract with a four year buyout.

Corvus on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not sure why you think Gaborik's contract is so bad. If someone had asked me if I'd trade Gomez for Gaborik and Chris Higgins, I'd definitely say yes. When he plays Gaborik is an A-list 1st line wing, Gomez is something between a 1st and 2nd line center.

In 8 seasons, Gaborik has only played less than 65 games twice. He's scored 30 goals or more in 5 of those seasons, including 1 season with 42. One of those seasons with only 48 games he got 57 points.

The Brashear contract is stupid, I would have rather resigned Orr. Most Rangers fans will still hate Brashear because of his hit on Betts in the playoffs last season.

As for Fred Sjostrom, I'm not too pissed about losing him because he never scores. Korpikoski can do everything he can right now, but still has room to improve.

Zaylenz on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Crossing my fingers for Gustavsson...

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited July 2009
    Eklund made this ground-breaking announcement on Twitter:
    "Leafs trade could happen in the hour. Game changer. Could fall apart as well. With western team."
    In other news, a free agent could sign somewhere in the next little while. Or maybe not.

Speaking of unnecessary comments on Twitter, Martin Havlat had this to say yesterday:
    "Excited to be in Minny where I was welcomed and appreciated by management. The real story about what happened in Chicago to come out."
    He then said this:
    "There's something to be said for loyalty and honor."

However, no one knows how to endear himself to the fans like Marian Hossa:
    "If there's no salary cap, I'm sure I would still be in Detroit"
    Way to tell the fans of your new team that you don't really want to be there.

Burtletoy on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The point of the long term isn't to actually keep the player that length of time. It's to reduce the cap hit. Cap hit is the average salary over the length of the contract. It's more like a 8 year contract with a four year buyout.
    I don't even think its a buyout thing. They expect the player to retire after the big money is done. Works with Hossa. I think there is something in the CBA about the age players leave/get bought out too about how the cap hit happens.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • 3v3v Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hello Doug Wilson.

Free Agency started yesterday.

I just wanted to let you know.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Habs got Scott Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta.... Gomez for wayyyyy to much money for a "maybe" player....

We got Cammalleri and Gionta precisely because we got Gomez. Both of them were impressed with the trade and wanted to play with him.

So our first line will be three players that want to play with each other. That's not such a bad thing. Plus, the three are crazy fast and show grit, despite their size.

The Habs are a much better team than they were 72 hours ago.

The only reason Gomez scored so little with the Rangers is because their coach was horrible when it came to offense. It doesn't particularly concern me that he had his worst season with the team that scored the least in the league.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited July 2009
    Next season on TLC "The Little Hockey Club"

Corvus on
This discussion has been closed.