As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] The NHL is fixed. Refs and commentators determine games.

• Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    McGuire actually has some pretty good insight, when you hear him do spots on the radio. But his play by play is cartoonish. They need to give him a valium or something before each game.

I would've liked to have heard some insight from him at the draft other than "big, thick body on this kid."

That is some creepy shit to say right there.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oooh, interleague drama. Because he's restricted, this means Detroit has the option of matching the offer, yes?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Oooh, interleague drama. Because he's restricted, this means Detroit has the option of matching the offer, yes?

Not in the least, because they are 2 entirely different leagues. There are no rules regarding that. In the NHL, Detroit owns his rights, but the KHL does not have to respect that.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, there is no transfer agreement between the KHL and the IIHF or NHL, so basically, if a player leaves one league to go to the other, the original team is screwed.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Local papers are saying it's not a done deal.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Saku to the Ducks. I kind of thought he'd go play with his bro in Minny. Warm weather pre-retirement instead I guess.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Burnaby Joe hangs them up.

sakicbig_45961.jpg

Corvus on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Feels so weird. All of the players I grew up watching and hearing about are leaving the game.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So any Edmonton or Buffalo fans have comments on Kotalik? He signed with the Rangers today for 3 years at $3 Million per year.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, Saku leaving Montreal makes me so sad.

He's just always felt like a Hab to me, and I'm bummed he's no longer...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    So any Edmonton or Buffalo fans have comments on Kotalik? He signed with the Rangers today for 3 years at $3 Million per year.

While I had hoped the Oilers could keep him, since he was effective, I don't think he's *that* good of a player, and most people in Edmonton I think knew that he was a rental, as much as the Oilers tried to convince us otherwise. He had a few flashes of brilliance for us, but couldn't sustain good play for more than a game or 2 at a time.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I've have liked the guy for years. has decent size like over 6 feet and 220 pounds or so. And for a guy who often finds himself as a 2nd - 4th liner he puts up quality for being a working joe kind of player. He is almost always giving you 15-20 goal seasons. I can't say anything for the amount of the contract, seems maybe a million too much, but either way he'll put up his usual solid numbers.

my question is why the hell didn't Edmonton want him back? too much money? In 19 games there he put up 7 goals and 4 assists, was +2. Think they had him on the 3rd line there??? again like I explained above, for what I call a "working" guy who will never be of superstar caliber those are decent numbers.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I've have liked the guy for years. has decent size like over 6 feet and 220 pounds or so. And for a guy who often finds himself as a 2nd - 4th liner he puts up quality for being a working joe kind of player. He is almost always giving you 15-20 goal seasons. I can't say anything for the amount of the contract, seems maybe a million too much, but either way he'll put up his usual solid numbers.

my question is why the hell didn't Edmonton want him back? too much money? In 19 games there he put up 7 goals and 4 assists, was +2. Think they had him on the 3rd line there??? again like I explained above, for what I call a "working" guy who will never be of superstar caliber those are decent numbers.

The oilers did offer him a contract. Local media are trying to sniff around to see what he was offered, but right now we don't know what the Oilers were willing to give him.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

The oilers did offer him a contract. Local media are trying to sniff around to see what he was offered, but right now we don't know what the Oilers were willing to give him.

Being reunited with Drury might have also played a part in Kotalik signing with the Rangers. The two of them played together on a line in Buffalo. He made 2.3 million last season, so $3 million isn't too far out there in my opinion, though I would have rather he signed for closer to $2.5 million.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Looks like the wings are gonna fight the Hudler KHL signing, and they actually may have a point. Hudler apparently filed for arbitration, which, when you do file, is a commitment from the player to a 1 year contract that results from the hearing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284300

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Looks like the wings are gonna fight the Hudler KHL signing, and they actually may have a point. Hudler apparently filed for arbitration, which, when you do file, is a commitment from the player to a 1 year contract that results from the hearing.

Does this make Hudler a locker room cancer now?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

it at least guarantees the end of his relationship with Detroit forever. Even if they get him back for this 1 year it isn't like they'll be able to trade him unless they find a team dumb enough to deal with this KHL drama that will linger.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

He's a really likable guy, so probably not.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm seeing reports that Montreal signed Paul Mara to a 1 year deal. I wanted him back on the Rangers. He was a solid team guy, who stood up for his teamates and was a decent 2-way player. He'll be a solid 2nd or 3rd pair defenceman for them. Plus he had The Beard.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Habs signed Travis Moen as well.

That sure is a lot of turnover in just a few weeks

In
    Gomez
    Camalleri
    Gionta
    Moen
    Spacek
    Gill
    Mara

Out
    Koivu
    Kovalev
    Tanguay
    Higgins
    Dandenault
    Komisarek
    Bouillon
    Brisebois
    Koustopoulos

They didn't resigned a single guy among their UFAs!

Will the Habs be this year's Tampa, or will they do a quick rebound like Philly did?

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tampa

Capitols signed Brendan Morrison to a 1 year, 1.5M contract

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    San Jose may be signing Scott Nichol of the Predators: link

I don't like this rumor.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pens sign Jay McKee for 1 year $800,000, wooo!

Also, Pens Wings rematch (in preseason?)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Pens sign Jay McKee for 1 year $800,000, wooo!

Also, Pens Wings rematch (in preseason?)

The preseason schedules are generally random and meaningless, but I wouldn't be surprised.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually think preseason games are set by the individual clubs involved. Thats why you have some teams playing more games than others or why certain teams will hold preseason games in different cities.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jacques Lemaire was just re-hired by the Devils. Time to get reacquainted with Trap Hockey in New Jersey.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Blackhawks fired Tallon and replaced him with not Scotty Bowman but Stan Bowman. So Scotty. :P

Don't fuck up sending your offer sheets to your RFAs if you want to keep your job, apparently.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Blackhawks fired Tallon and replaced him with not Scotty Bowman but Stan Bowman. So Scotty. :P

Don't fuck up sending your offer sheets to your RFAs if you want to keep your job, apparently.

They didn't *fire* him, they appointed him senior advisor or some shit

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Trus wrote: »

They didn't *fire* him, they appointed him senior advisor or some shit

When you're reassigned from your GM job, you've been fired, regardless how polite the club is being about it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Philly and Boston confirmed for the Winter Classic on January 1, 2010.

While I'm happy that Philly was picked as I don't have the NHL package and broadcasts of Philly games are almost non-existent on the west coast, I'm a bit perplexed as why Montreal wasn't picked. Sure, Philly and Boston have a rivalry but Boston - Montreal goes way back

Saar on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Saar wrote: »

While I'm happy that Philly was picked as I don't have the NHL package and broadcasts of Philly games are almost non-existent on the west coast, I'm a bit perplexed as why Montreal wasn't picked. Sure, Philly and Boston have a rivalry but Boston - Montreal goes way back

The Winter Classic is shown on NBC.

Edit: Also, rumors of two winter classics this year. One here and one in Canada

Edit 2: 2009-2010 schedule is released. See it here.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?team=pit

You can pick a different team to look at, but why would anyone want to?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Saar wrote: »

My guess would be that they didn't choose Montreal because they have been in an outdoor game already (the very first one, against Edmonton) I'm personally a bit peeved that there hasn't been a Canadian team in "The Winter Classic" yet, most of the leagues money comes from Canada so throw us a damn bone.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think the game should have been Rangers - Bruins instead of Flyers - Bruins. Another NY - Boston matchup at Fenwey, both Original Six teams and there is a history between the two.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Edit: Also, rumors of two winter classics this year. One here and one in Canada

I am pretty sure this is all but proved to not be happening. You are talking about the Calgary one, right?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think the game should have been Rangers - Bruins instead of Flyers - Bruins. Another NY - Boston matchup at Fenwey, both Original Six teams and there is a history between the two.

That's because the Rangers are pushing hard to get the 2011 winter classic at the new Yankee Stadium.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »
    San Jose may be signing Scott Nichol of the Predators: link

I don't like this rumor.

Looks like the rumor was true.

$.75M for one year. Not terrible I guess.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Because I'm lazy and just copy/paste off Twitter
    RT @NHL_Oilers: Oilers ink goalie Devan Dubnyk, d-man Dean Arsene, & 2009 Draft pick Toni Rajala: http://tinyurl.com/ldrdq5

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Flames picked Nigel Dawes off waivers from the Pheonix Coyotes

The guy is going to abitration but is reportadly looking at a ~1mil cap hit. Almost every Flames fan I know is waiting for Sutter to sign Boyd (who they sent a qualifying offer to) to some sort of deal at around the 1.3-1.5mil a season. If that happens the Flames are going to have to part ways with one of their forwards and that is looking like Wayne Primeau and his 1.4 million cap hit, which is high for an injury prone 4th liner despite how good he is on the defensive end, is going to be sent to the minors or traded.

Potential forward lines:
    Bourque - Jokinen - Iginla
    Dawes - Langkow - Moss
    Glencross - Boyd - Sjostrom
    Nystrom - Conroy - McGrattan/Prust

Thats a good 1st and 3rd line with a pretty decent 4th line. However, that looks like a pretty weak 2nd line to me. Moss did put up 20 goals last season and Langkow has put up good numbers the last 3 seasons but that was when he was playing off and on with Iginla.

D Lines:
    Regher-Bouwmeester
    Sarich-Phaneuf
    Giordano-Pardy

Each pairing has a good shutdown guy (Regher, Sarich, Pardy) and a puck mover (Bouw, Phaneuf, Gio)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    just skimming through the signings/free agents left. not too much left out there for players that are worthwhile. Few decent restricted free agents not signed like Zajac.

Detroit is signing random schmoes who are in their mid 20's for warm bodies to fill a roster. saw at least 3 or 4 detroit signings where I don't think I've ever even heard of the player, maybe except for Jannik who is nothing to write home about. even though they have a great core of players I don't see detroit being the monster force this upcoming year.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
This discussion has been closed.