As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] The NHL is fixed. Refs and commentators determine games.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh, did not expect Canucks to win that game, since the Sharks were icing way more actual NHL'ers. Especially when the Sharks had a 2-0 lead at one point.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finally, now Pheonix/Hamilton might actually start getting better since they can get a real coach

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Gretz wasn't a terrible coach. Ok, he was terrible when he started but he got better, he was just massively over paid. They were paying him like seven million dollars a year. I'd be surprised if the average NHL coach even makes a million.

Corvus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Gretz wasn't a terrible coach. Ok, he was terrible when he started but he got better, he was just massively over paid. They were paying him like seven million dollars a year. I'd be surprised if the average NHL coach even makes a million.

Yea, Gretzky was horrible at first, but steadily improved. I don't think any coach in the league could make the lineup in Phoenix a playoff team.

You'll probably see him end up with hockey Canada for a few years, and I'm very willing to bet that he'll coach in the NHL again, just not for $8.5 million a year.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Woooo Flyers! Looked great tonight. Emery played very well and watching JVR with Giroux is just wonderful.

Shyfted on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shyfted wrote: »
    Woooo Flyers! Looked great tonight. Emery played very well and watching JVR with Giroux is just wonderful.

hey, I got free tickets and was there last night! That Carcillo fight with the one punch drop was awesome. I'd say Giroux shows great potential and made a few sweet passes, but he looked like a young guy who needs polish at times too. A little sloppy here and there and I laughed my ass off in the second or third when he spun around so fast like a spaz that he knocked himself over. I could really appreciate that one as I've done it myself, so embarrassing.

Carter still looks like he is trying to shake off that preseason rust as he fanned on multiple shots because he took his eye off the puck. Not worried there, but he may have a slow start in the first week or so.

Briere looked great though, hitting, assists and just working his ass off.

and where the hell was Gagne? seriously he was non-existant.

And damn been a while since I've seen Parise play. You can really see he is ready for the season already and he seems to be fast, like I'm gonna out skate anybody I want fast. Just a few instances in the game where he wanted the puck and should have been beaten to it, but damn he really wanted that puck and got it first.

All the players modeling the Winter classic clothing line just made me think of the fashion show in Slapshot. I'm gonna get out there and wiggle my dick at em'.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The Oilers loss was pretty epic last night. get down 2-0 early, take a 3-2 lead early in the third. then with 2 min to go Tampa ties it. Oilers have 75 seconds of 4 on 3 to start OT, and antoehr full 2 minute power play during OT, can't score. Staios takes a dumb penalty with 10 seconds left. Vinnie wins the draw to Malone, quick pass to St. Louis in the high slot, scores with 6.5 seconds left.

Now. 1)Oilers coudn't win a faceoff to save their life right now. This was the case last season, and looks like it will continue this year as well. 2)I'd hope that if the Oilers dress a full line up(no horcoff, hemsky, or Souray) they score on one of those 4 on 3's.

Still, an epic loss, and I was laughing at it as much as I was crying last night.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The Oilers loss was pretty epic last night. get down 2-0 early, take a 3-2 lead early in the third. then with 2 min to go Tampa ties it. Oilers have 75 seconds of 4 on 3 to start OT, and antoehr full 2 minute power play during OT, can't score. Staios takes a dumb penalty with 10 seconds left. Vinnie wins the draw to Malone, quick pass to St. Louis in the high slot, scores with 6.5 seconds left.

Now. 1)Oilers coudn't win a faceoff to save their life right now. This was the case last season, and looks like it will continue this year as well. 2)I'd hope that if the Oilers dress a full line up(no horcoff, hemsky, or Souray) they score on one of those 4 on 3's.

Still, an epic loss, and I was laughing at it as much as I was crying last night.

There are bunch of 'vets' on that team that need to be run out of town.

Moreau, Staios and Pisani for starters.

Yes, I know Pisani is on the IR, but still.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Well, the oilers have some serious cap issues (as in, they are over the cap right now), so I fully expect a trade. It would not surprise me at all to see Pisani gone. Staios is an outside chance, but not likely. They need to get rid of some forwards, not defense(imo they have one of the best top 6 D in the league)

wunderbar on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, the oilers have some serious cap issues (as in, they are over the cap right now), so I fully expect a trade. It would not surprise me at all to see Pisani gone. Staios is an outside chance, but not likely. They need to get rid of some forwards, not defense(imo they have one of the best top 6 D in the league)

I'd rather have Plante up with us still rather than Staios.

Pisani is useless and Moreau can only grind at this point.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'd rather have Plante up with us still rather than Staios.

Pisani is useless and Moreau can only grind at this point.

Peckham is #8 on the depth chart, Plante is likely #9.

Moreau is fine as a grinder, and he is a really good leader on the team. I don't expect him to get re-signed after his contract expires in 2011 but I hope they don't trade him. Pisani's contract is up after this year, and he'll be gone then, or sooner.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm happy the Leafs are spanking Detroit right now.

They just got to keep this up. (for the rest of the game/season)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wake me when the regular season starts. Also I just checked the box score of that game to see who all was playing... gaaaaaaaaaaah Bertuzzi is a Wing.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nevermind what I just said.

Detroit is winning now somehow. 3 Goals.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Is Kessel playing? Because that'll happen if he has to play some defense.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Is Kessel playing? Because that'll happen if he has to play some defense.

Kessel is out until November.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Looks like Cody "The G is Silent" Hodgson may not make the Canucks. He really hasn't shown particularly well in this pre-season, injury or not. I guess they probably keep him for the nine game before he burns a year toward free-agency, but other young prospects have shown better. I'm really digging Shirikov, I hope he does well in the next game or two and gets a shot.

Corvus on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haha, looks like the Devils got a Niedermayer, too bad it isn't the all-star one.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    Haha, looks like the Devils got a Niedermayer, too bad it isn't the all-star one.

Maybe the Devils were confused. :lol:

tofu on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Douglas Murray scored three goals and an assist against Anaheim tonight.

That's two more goals that he's scored in his NHL career.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Douglas Murray is the player you'd probably least expect to be Swedish, and yet he is.

Corvus on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    [Red Wings Fan]Wake me when the playoffs start[/Red Wings Fan]

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    [Red Wings Fan]Wake me when the playoffs start[/Red Wings Fan]

Well, yeah, that too.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Got tickets to the game tomorrow. It's only my second Leafs game, despite growing up in Toronto.

I'm pretty excited.

(Bonus: The tickets were way less than $150 each)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Of course the game I mange to go to is the game they play like the real Leafs.

They lost 7-6 against buffalo.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Of course the game I mange to go to is the game they play like the real Leafs.

They lost 7-6 against buffalo.

If they were playing like the real Leafs, shouldn't the loss be much more significant then that?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I watched bits and pieces of the Wings/Penguins preseason game minus 90% of the stars on those two teams. Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond were being hilariously dismissive of the Toronto media falling in love with Gustavsson. "They're already planning the parade!" Which based on what I saw on CBC last night is pretty accurate.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I watched bits and pieces of the Wings/Penguins preseason game minus 90% of the stars on those two teams. Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond were being hilariously dismissive of the Toronto media falling in love with Gustavsson. "They're already planning the parade!" Which based on what I saw on CBC last night is pretty accurate.

This happened last year when it was announced Finger was signed.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Goodbye Sundin. You should have retired a Leaf.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Annnnnnnnd...They both lose.

Though this is probably a win for the NHL since they can just resubmit a new bid whereas Balsille's pretty much screwed.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Old Redfield T. Baum reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly doesn't want to make a ruling here and get get overturned on appeal.

Corvus on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why is the NHL fighting so fiercely against Balsille getting the team? Bettman wants to keep the horribly failing franchise in Arizona? They're hemorrhaging money, what's the use? Bettman must dislike Blackberry or something jeez..

Rei on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rei wrote: »
    Why is the NHL fighting so fiercely against Balsille getting the team? Bettman wants to keep the horribly failing franchise in Arizona? They're hemorrhaging money, what's the use? Bettman must dislike Blackberry or something jeez..

Basically, Bettman hates Canada.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, short man syndrome.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    saggio wrote: »

Basically, Bettman hates Canada.

Besides your national anthem, can you blame him?
    I kid, <3 Canada.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It seems to be mainly because Balsille tried to go in the backdoor to get out of the Glendale lease and then bolt to Hamilton, which the NHL and Glendale naturally wouldn't like.

According to this article: "The league has said it plans to run the [Coyotes] this season, and look for a local buyer. If one can’t be found, the league said it will relocate the team."

So I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting the moving trucks ready after this season regardless. It's more a question of "where do they go?" Kansas City?

thanimations on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, the NHL is as good as done in Arizona. As for where they go my bet would be somewhere in Canada, there are three places I could see them going in the US and none of them make as strong a case as Hamilton/Quebec City; those three places are Kansas City, Oklahoma City, or Seattle. Kansas and Oklahoma would end up facing the same problems that Arizona has now, that being that there is no hockey base in the city to grow, while this didn't hurt Dallas they are more the exception rather than the rule. Seattle is where I personally would like to see them go, that would be an instant rivalry with Vancouver as well as perhaps the California teams. But, would moving them there create the same problems a Hamilton team would (division issues, Vancouver's territorial rights, etc)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the NHL is as good as done in Arizona. As for where they go my bet would be somewhere in Canada, there are three places I could see them going in the US and none of them make as strong a case as Hamilton/Quebec City; those three places are Kansas City, Oklahoma City, or Seattle. Kansas and Oklahoma would end up facing the same problems that Arizona has now, that being that there is no hockey base in the city to grow, while this didn't hurt Dallas they are more the exception rather than the rule. Seattle is where I personally would like to see them go, that would be an instant rivalry with Vancouver as well as perhaps the California teams. But, would moving them there create the same problems a Hamilton team would (division issues, Vancouver's territorial rights, etc)

Seattle's always struck me as a basketball town. The Sonics leaving was such bullshit.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Trus wrote: »

The NHL moves teams out of Canada, not in. Bettman wants to grow the NHL in the US because of sheer market size. The fact that most Americans don't care about hockey is irrelevant to the man.

Nova_C on
This discussion has been closed.