As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cash for Clunkers

Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, heres the deal.

Cash for clunkers is the nice new Law (part of the war spending bill I think) that allows people with older cars that were rated at a certain mpg to trade them in for brand new cars. the MPG of any car is determined by the website http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm; specifically, the combined fuel economy for your car is used. the deal is that if you trade in your vehicle for a new car, truck or SUV you can get a voucher worth 3500 or 4500 dollars towards that new vehice. This is ontop of any other dealer rebate you may get.

My car, is currently rated at 14 MPG combined (really I get about 16 but thats nothing to brag about). I plan on getting a new car which would mean I need a vehicle that is 1)22 MPG for 3500 dollars or 2) 24 MPG for 4500 dollars. I am currently looking at 4 door midsize sedans only, I don't want a wagon and I don't want a coupe... I also don't want a compact or large sedan simply because I do alot of taxi driving for other people.

My current options include:

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan
Hyundai Sonata
Mazda 6
Subaru Legacy CVT
Kia Optima

I would like some feedback on any of these models (09 or 10) and if I should be considering any other cars (I would include the accord except that Honda is getting pretty stingy with its other incentives due to their reputation)

if you want any information on the program itself, I can provide that since I have been researching it for a solid month here.

Dunadan019 on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mazda 6 is constantly highly reviewed, and having driven it, I must say that it is a fun ride.

What do you mean about Honda's reputation?

Alpine on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alpine wrote: »
    Mazda 6 is constantly highly reviewed, and having driven it, I must say that it is a fun ride.

What do you mean about Honda's reputation?

Honda has a reputation for cars that last forever and run well therefore many people want them.

toyota has a similar reputation.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mazda 6 is the only of those listed I've driven (though most recently a 2006), but it's a great car.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Mazda 6 is the only of those listed I've driven (though most recently a 2006), but it's a great car.

what package?

i really wish that I could get a V6 AWD car but almost all of them get less than 22 MPG unless I want to spend 30K+

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is terrible. I would love to get a new car but I love my current car even though it has poor gas mileage. ( about 16mpg ) I'm right at the 25 year point as well. having a 1985 vehicle. I know I couldn't get 4,000$ out of it by selling it.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mazda6 2.5L 5AT = 24mpg combined.
    Fun to drive and thrifty. Win-win. If you want the manual, you lose $1000 on the trade-in but you spend less to buy it, but since most people can't drive/don't like manuals I figured I'd give the common option first.

Second choice would be the Sonata, it's a little less for the fun but has that 10-year warranty if you planned on driving this one into the dirt/until they pass Cash For Clunkers II and try to get everyone to move to a 35mpg shoebox.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So one could buy a shit-tastic older car and take advantage of this?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No.
    Your trade-in vehicle must ... be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for the full year preceding the trade-in

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fun to drive and thrifty. Win-win. If you want the manual, you lose $1000 on the trade-in but you spend less to buy it, but since most people can't drive/don't like manuals I figured I'd give the common option first.

Second choice would be the Sonata, it's a little less for the fun but has that 10-year warranty if you planned on driving this one into the dirt/until they pass Cash For Clunkers II and try to get everyone to move to a 35mpg shoebox.

the great thing about the sonata is that they are offering 3000 in dealer rebates too. so that 7500 total off the price of the car. thats one of the reasons its actually on my list.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

the great thing about the sonata is that they are offering 3000 in dealer rebates too. so that 7500 total off the price of the car. thats one of the reasons its actually on my list.

Honestly I quite like the Sonata. It's not quite as "sporty" as the Mazda, but it's not as rough around the edges either. It's definitely more for the person who's more concerned with a smooth ride and nice gadgetry than hooning around.

Whatever you do do not mention the Cash for Clunkers deal until you've already beaten them down as far as they'll go on a sale price, otherwise they'll start stonewalling if they know you're going to cockpunch them for $4500 later.

Also, that $3K rebate? That's not coming out of his pocket, so don't let them bullshit you into "I'm already giving you $3000 off" - that's Hyundai giving you the money, not the dealer. Start from (invoice - $3000) and work your way up from there.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Honestly I quite like the Sonata. It's not quite as "sporty" as the Mazda, but it's not as rough around the edges either. It's definitely more for the person who's more concerned with a smooth ride and nice gadgetry than hooning around.

Whatever you do do not mention the Cash for Clunkers deal until you've already beaten them down as far as they'll go on a sale price, otherwise they'll start stonewalling if they know you're going to cockpunch them for $4500 later.

Also, that $3K rebate? That's not coming out of his pocket, so don't let them bullshit you into "I'm already giving you $3000 off" - that's Hyundai giving you the money, not the dealer. Start from (invoice - $3000) and work your way up from there.

oh the $4500 is from the government. basically what happens is that they lower the price for 4500 dollars and then get reimbursed 4500 when they put in the paperwork. mentioning it shouldn't bring me a stonewall.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    oh the $4500 is from the government. basically what happens is that they lower the price for 4500 dollars and then get reimbursed 4500 when they put in the paperwork. mentioning it shouldn't bring me a stonewall.

I know it is; but they'll stonewall for the same reason they would on the "$3000 off" from the mothership.

From your perspective you're getting a "great deal" at $7500 off - from theirs, you just paid MSRP and they're raking in the profit. They want to maximize that profit. You want to minimize it.

I'm not saying that $7500 off MSRP is a bad price - but if you can get $8250 of $8500 off for fifteen minutes work, why not take that instead?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What kind of car are you trading in?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

its not really a trade in as it has to go to the junkyard.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

its not really a trade in as it has to go to the junkyard.

Okay, what car are you sacrificing at the Obamaltar to get +4500 Gold?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No.
    Your trade-in vehicle must ... be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for the full year preceding the trade-in

Aww, I guess I'm stuck with my eagle after all.

Viscountalpha on