As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zelda: TP for Gamecube

Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
(please don't post spoilers in this thread)

Hey look, this thread is still on the front page. I suppose I should rewrite the OP since I actually picked the game up. If you are wondering: the game looks fine, there are no framerate problems or anything, and it controls exactly as you would expect it to (albeit some of the buttons are different from Wind Waker). There's nothing that really makes it seem like it was intended for the Wii instead of the Gamecube. It seems reasonably available in stores.

The exact differences from Wind Waker are: you use the d-pad to select items instead of going to the character screen, you only use the X and Y buttons for items (yeah, only two slots) and you use Z to do certain other things. Also, you can run and swing your sword at the same time! Hooray! So go buy it.

Just Like That on

• Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Don't worry, we're real good about it. No spoilers at all unless Dareth Ram sneaks in.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073840616&start=1475

Give it a shot, we've got other GC players.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Stores? I thought you had to order from N's website.

slash000 on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    slash000 wrote:
    Only for Japan. US stores got 'em.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    slash000 wrote:

I believe that was for Japan only.

I bought mine today at Best Buy.

EDIT: beat'd

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Freaky. Anyone have pics of the box?

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I wouldn't think the lack of motion-sensing would hurt the experience at all, since it was designed with the GC controller in mind...

Anyway, I'll finally be playing it soon hopefully, assuming I can get a copy without too much trouble.

Not that I don't want a Wii, but paying $50 to play TP is a lot preferable than $300 right now.

And judging from the pictures in ads, I think it has the exact same box as the Wii version?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Read a preview over at 1up, they seemed positive about it. You lose precision aiming and widescreen, you get free camera control.

The game comes out on Friday over here, hoping it arrives in my mail before the weekend or else I'll be a sad panda.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I wouldn't think the lack of motion-sensing would hurt the experience at all, since it was designed with the GC controller in mind...

You are wrong. The Wii version adds so, so much, even just looking at Wind Wakers basic game mechanics, like aiming the bow and arrow. It's just so good.

Duki on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I will buy this soon, but I am in the middle of like 5 games. And holidays are coming up, which oddly enough leaves me no time to game in front of a tv. Maybe I'll find a free weekend within the next month to bang it out.

Renzo on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have they set a release date for PAL territories?

Oden on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

7083229.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oden wrote:

14th of December.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm picking this up on Wednesday right after my Final Exam.

I've sort of inadvertently entered an information black out. I just fell behind the news until it was easy for me to just not keep up, so this will be a pretty cool entirely new experience.

Still contemplating on whether or not I should get that hardcover Prima guide.

Lux on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    I'm guessing there's nothing different about the game other than the fact that it's completely flipped (left handedness hooray) and the controls, obviously.

bombardier on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

7083229.jpg
    I still find it weird that a Zelda game has a T rating.

Couscous on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bombardier wrote:
    I'm guessing there's nothing different about the game other than the fact that it's completely flipped (left handedness hooray) and the controls, obviousyl.

It has camera control, and it doesn't have widescreen or progressive scan support.

Also, does this need its own thread?

bruin on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    No progressive scan? Weird, seeing as how Wind Waker supported it.

I was pretty sure that the GC version was only lacking widescreen.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:

IGN says it has 480p. If you trust IGN.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:

I'm 100% positive that every game made by Nintendo has had progressive scan. I'd say published as well, but I'm not sure whether or not they published ToS. I know they footed the localization bill, but I think Namco actually published it.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you've played Wind Waker you know how TP will play. There's nothing wrong with the Gamecube version. It just won't have the Wii controls, which are better for ranged weapons and so-so for melee.

Zek on
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yay! I got it and I've been playing it for the past five hours. I haven't played the Wii version, but whoa, it's like Zelda mirror mode; even the trailer and the intro are flipped. It's gonna be so awesome to play the Wii version someday and be totally confused.

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oden wrote:

oden you should get to an electronics boutique
    apparently they are the only ones selling them here and they guy said they werent getting a lot and convinced me to preorder

i picked it up today and they still had a bunch on the shelves but you never know

might wanna hurry

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Air wrote:
    Oden wrote:

oden you should get to an electronics boutique
    apparently they are the only ones selling them here and they guy said they werent getting a lot and convinced me to preorder

i picked it up today and they still had a bunch on the shelves but you never know

might wanna hurry

Shit I know and if it is coming out on the 14th then that means I have about 27 minutes to pre order a copy.

Oden on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dang apparently it came out a few days ago and I only have $16 until friday

Oden on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Eyes5 wrote:
    Yay! I got it and I've been playing it for the past five hours. I haven't played the Wii version, but whoa, it's like Zelda mirror mode; even the trailer and the intro are flipped. It's gonna be so awesome to play the Wii version someday and be totally confused.

Ditto. I just played this for a few hours this evening. Already hooked.

Controls are perfectly fine thus far, although I imagine that it's going to get annoying only having two item buttons (X and Y). I have no idea if this would be considered spoilers, but meh - concerning other controls

[spoiler:62e7134bfd]Z button is a permanent Midna button. Also, items are accessed through D-pad plus, which can be a tad annoying[/spoiler:62e7134bfd]

Just finished the first dungeon. The entire opening is very awesome.

Also:

To anyone planning on getting it for Gamecube: Apparently Gamestop got few copies relative to preorders - my own local one only got enough to cover half their preorders. Look elsewhere. Like Circuit City, where it's $38 bucks. Or Best Buy, which price matches CC (like what I did).

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    they got it yesterday apparently
    and started selling today

forget this 14th crap

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Air wrote:
    they got it yesterday apparently
    and started selling today

forget this 14th crap

Can't speak for Europe, but in the States it shipped yesterday and started selling today.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    To anyone planning on getting it for Gamecube: Apparently Gamestop got few copies relative to preorders - my own local one only got enough to cover half their preorders. Look elsewhere. Like Circuit City, where it's $38 bucks. Or Best Buy, which price matches CC (like what I did).

Jragghen: You are one hot man.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thread lacks "Don't be a Crashmo." in the OP.

I might get this for GC just because I can't resist owning everything Zelda that I can.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Tobasco wrote:
    (please don't post spoilers in this thread)

Okay, so Twilight Princess is supposed to be out for the Gamecube now. Have any of you played the GC version? Does it look/play alright? I'm especially interested if you've played both versions (I know theres one of you out there!). I guess I'm mainly concerned that the lack of motion-sensitive controls will hurt the experience. Also, is it reasonably available, or are stores all sold out/not getting any?

I didn't post this in the other Zelda thread because I was scared of reading spoilers, so please excuse the extra Zelda thread.
    I've played the Wii version to completion, and I'll be getting the GC version tomorrow. I'll let people know my thoughts.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    how the hell do you catch a fish
    what is this shit

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Air wrote:
    what is this shit
    I can't speak for the controls, but let the bobber sink all the way under the water before trying to snag the fish.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Air wrote:
    what is this shit

[spoiler:5d52bdd7ac]Go over to where the cat is, throw in the lure. Let it sit until it's under water, then press and hold the C stick down until the fish is caught[/spoiler:5d52bdd7ac]

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    does this need to be really gentle

because the thing just keeps coming out of the water like theres nothing there

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Air wrote:

Not gentle at all. Just make sure the lure is pretty much completely under water.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i guess not

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jragghen wrote:
    Air wrote:

Not gentle at all. Just make sure the lure is pretty much completely under water.

If the water line is at the Green strip on the bobber, then it's time to snag it.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, looks like stores here got it today and are selling it tomorrow already, Thursday.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Motherfuckers at my local Circuit City sold out yesterday. Games don't come out on Tuesday, assholes. Didn't anyone tell you?

:cry:

Renzo on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't use WiiMote aiming for bows and stuff. I did better with the analog stick.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png