As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stupid internet connection

Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So I play WoW a fair bit, and i'm in college. I have a bit of problem though. Most nights I get a ping of 1-2 thousand, which makes doing anything damn near impossible. If I unplug my internet it will go down to 1-100 but then slowly creep back up to the 1000+ range.

Because this happens pretty regularly around 8PM, ending a fair bit later, I'm getting the feeling its because so many people are logged on to the college network. If this is true than why can I get smooth gameplay for a little bit after reconnecting? Is there anything I can do to improve connection speeds? I have the bad feeling I'm stuck with a dreadful ping until people log off the network.

I'm using a macbook for my gaming, btw.

Casual Eddy on

• Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If I unplug my internet it will go down to 1-100 but then slowly creep back up to the 1000+ range.

I guess them Macbooks are pretty advanced, being able to still connect to the internet even though the cable is unplugged :)

Anyways, it could be that there's too many people on your network. It could also be that your network admin nerds have some kind of packet prioritization system that gives priority to data coming from so-called "legitimate" sources, so that the people who actually use the on-campus internet for non-recreational purposes have the best performance possible, while simultaneously hosing people who have free time.

Do you have any P2P programs running in the background?

Either way, unless you move out of the dorms, you're gonna have to deal with crap for internet.

Locust76 on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Criminy. Yeah, macs are fantastic, what with their ability to draw internet through the air.

I don't have any programs other than AIM running, although I've seen first hand what por- I mean... music downloads can do to pings, so I steer clear of them while gaming. The network doesn't allow P2P downloads anywho.

I was afraid I'd have to deal with a bad connection, ah well.

Casual Eddy on