As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WMP cannot play dvds? SOLVED!

minor threatminor threat Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
so i've been messing with this for the past 3 hours and i'm a bit fed up. here's the deal:

i have this dvd drive, if that helps at all.

tonight, for the first time since i got this computer about two weeks ago, i decided to watch a dvd. i pop it in and get an error message in windows media player saying that i don't have the proper codecs to play the dvd. i downloaded all the latest codecs, tried again, and got a new message saying that wmp cannot play dvd media and that i should try reducing the size of my display or reducing the color depth. did both, no luck. i installed the divX player to see if i could bypass the problem, but again no luck. i updated the firmware on the dvd drive, no luck. i upgraded to wmp11, no luck.

device manager says the drive is working fine and i know it is. i've ripped cds on this drive, i've installed games that use dvds so i know it's not broken. but for some reason, i cannot watch dvds using it. i did format my hard drive a week ago, but i doubt that would cause this sort of issue.

so basically, i am turning to you, H/A forum. i have no clue what to do here.

help? :(

minor threat on

• Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You have to buy a DVD player program, which will install the proper codecs for you. Unfortunately, due to licensing, the Mpeg2 codec doesn't come for free and you can't legally just download it.

The good news is, that once you've installed a DVD playing program, you don't need to use it to view DVDs.

I use Intervideo WinDVD. There's also Cyberlink, but there also may be cheaper players or you may be able to simply purchase the codec for a very minimal cost.

Edited for stupid link mistakes

Locust76 on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think VLC can play DVDs? Wiki says that media player classic can also do that.
    I was under the impression that ffdshow could open DVD, but I'm not sure.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robaal wrote:
    I think VLC can play DVDs? Wiki says that media player classic can also do that.

Lots of programs can play DVDs, but it's the codec that's missing. Without that, nothing can play DVDs.

If Minor Threat recently reformatted, that's exactly what caused it. It's not a fault of your hardware, it's just the simple fact that you deleted whatever DVD player program you had (along with the associated codec), and now you're trying to play DVD video without the codec. I'm assuming your system came pre-built? If so, you need to locate the disks and find whichever one has the DVD player software that was on your computer and install it.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    robaal wrote:

Lots of programs can play DVDs, but it's the codec that's missing. Without that, nothing can play DVDs.

Except MPC comes with built-in codecs and VLC uses its own engine for playing stuff back which doesn't use codecs per se but can play back almost anything, probably including DVDs.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's not so much the codec that's missing, but the encryption key. If you want to play a DVD without DVD playing software what you can do is use a DVD ripper such as DVD Decrypter and then play the VOB files through VLC/MPC.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    oh.

well.

:oops: thank you :oops: now i certainly feel foolish.

minor threat on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    oh.

well.

Don't. Seriously. It's pretty much ass that this feature isn't just a free part of XP.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i'm sure it's a legal issue or some crap like that. or this whole "we have to prevent copyright infringement" or something. i have no idea.

but i got it working. the comp came with a cd that has a bunch of nero software, which i assumed would not contain what i needed since i thought they only did cd burning stuff. lo and behold, after reinstalling everything on the disk, dvds work for me :)

so this thread can be locked, i guess.

minor threat on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    oh.

well.

Don't. Seriously. It's pretty much ass that this feature isn't just a free part of XP.
    i'm sure it's a legal issue or some crap like that.

Actually, the CSS consortium, the team that makes the copyright protection for DVDs, demands something like $1 Million USD for a liscence to decrypt DVDs. That's why XP doesn't come with one built in, why consoles require a special, overpriced, remote to play DVDs, etc.

It's also why they went batshit insane on DVD Jon for daring to point out that it's really not that great of a encryption to begin with.

KiTA on